Group: Member
Topics Started: 1
Last seen online:
Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:33 pm
User's local time:
Sun, 12 May 2024 2:37 am
Green Water: Yes

Hello

I have two fiber tubs that hosting my 20 ranchu and orandas, tubs positioned on top of my house. This is covered by direct sunlight all day long. Tubs was setup like 1 ½ months ago, I was wondering if sunlight is too much for my fishes?

water in the tub is so green i cant even see my fishes , I have read about cultivating greenwater in this forum, tubs water gone green after 3-4 days after tub setup. Did not do much, dunno if this is the precise technique that we called greenwater. every 2-3 days Im doing water change in the morning around 30% then water became clearer at least the fishes are visible but later on in the afternoon became so green that make fishes not visible. Is this normal?

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
black&white
post Tue, 15 Mar 2011 7:23 am
Post #2

Ordinary
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,905
Topics Started: 1
Last seen online:
Sat, 08 May 2021 10:55 pm
User's local time:
Sat, 11 May 2024 6:37 pm

QUOTE(kayleen @ Mon, 14 Mar 2011 5:21 pm) *

Hello

I have two fiber tubs that hosting my 20 ranchu and orandas, tubs positioned on top of my house. This is covered by direct sunlight all day long. Tubs was setup like 1 ½ months ago, I was wondering if sunlight is too much for my fishes?

water in the tub is so green i cant even see my fishes , I have read about cultivating greenwater in this forum, tubs water gone green after 3-4 days after tub setup. Did not do much, dunno if this is the precise technique that we called greenwater. every 2-3 days Im doing water change in the morning around 30% then water became clearer at least the fishes are visible but later on in the afternoon became so green that make fishes not visible. Is this normal?

Thanks

Hi Kayleen

Green water though very beneficial must be properly managed by cutting the water by adding fresh or shading your tubs or both. The rule I was tought was your should be able to see your hand beneath the water at a depth of approx 10 - 12 inches. The algae acts as filtration, food and releases oxygen during the day, but if it gets to green it may collapse and release toxins killing your fish. Also be careful of bubbles forming in the fins and try not to overstock.

Regards

Keith
+Quote Post
tony86
post Fri, 26 Aug 2011 1:08 pm
Post #3

Ordinary
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,136
Topics Started: 2
Last seen online:
Sun, 25 Sep 2011 4:37 am
User's local time:
Sat, 11 May 2024 1:37 pm
Green Water: No

yes.gif ,

To much algae will cause " Oxygen Burn" ( air bubbles in the fins) I've got the indoor aquarium rutine down...I am trying the original technique of using green water outdoors now, a completly different science....I was a little (very) upset when I put my really nice Calico Fantail, Panda Telescope, & Ryukin in the green water that I started with my Ryukin (about a week to turn true green) and after two weeks total...my fish's fins would develope bubbles in their fins...after only about an hour or so of being in the green water. Problem, green water to strong ( to much algae = to much oxygen= Oxygen Burn). I am well aware of weekly 25 % water changes in my indoor aquarium to remove excess amonia. However, "Green water" is different; you don't remove excess amonia...you remove excess algae which produces excess Oxygen which will cause "Oxygen Burn." As I was reading in this forum, It said to keep 10% green water, change 90 % into new clear water (dechloranated of course) and put the 10% green water back in....Every Week! I'm going to try this later today as I had to save my babies.... aikido.gif
+Quote Post
ranchu8
post Mon, 29 Aug 2011 12:55 am
Post #4

Gold
Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 998
Topics Started: 26
Last seen online:
Tue, 09 Jul 2019 10:39 am
User's local time:
Sun, 12 May 2024 1:37 am

It can even be 5% depending on the hours and intensity of sunlight, amount of feed, number of fishes, how often water is changed, depth of water etc. Trial and error and one will get the balance smile.gif

This post has been edited by ranchu8: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 12:57 am
+Quote Post
tony86
post Tue, 30 Aug 2011 2:32 pm
Post #5

Ordinary
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,136
Topics Started: 2
Last seen online:
Sun, 25 Sep 2011 4:37 am
User's local time:
Sat, 11 May 2024 1:37 pm
Green Water: No

hmm.gif

Okay, no, I am not going to continue to try the "Green Water " Method....My babies keept getting oxygen burn only after 2 days. Second, when I brought them back in, it affected my pearlscale which wasn't even outside....stress or bacteria related (both) I now have my tanks indoors and back to my indoor routine...right after a couple of weeks ( months) of running salt and daily 25 percent water changes to kill off any negative bacteria...Honestly, I wish I had never attempted the "green water" method.. To much bacteria that can harm your priceless babies (even if you do daily water changes)...truely not worth the risk...... Now I play doctor & pray.. prayer.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12-May-24 1:37 am
Logo
RSS

Site Map
RafflesGold - Web Space for Goldfish Lovers
Copyrighted © 2003-2006 RafflesGold.com. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
RafflesGold.com is a non-profit independent hobbyist supported forum based in Singapore
Donate to keep us operational
Link to Us
Contact Us