Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> A Welcome Note to New Members

Members are reminded to use our SEARCH Engine to look for our archives of discussions. Please understand that most members do not enjoy answering the same questions over and over again. If your search is futile and you are not sure if similar questions have been asked before, please post in this section first. Our hardworking moderators will vet through your topic and will shift to the rightful section if it is something new and interesting.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Biostarter Qs
ernie
post Fri, 09 Jun 2006 12:27 am
Post #1

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,007
Group: Member
Topics Started: 5
Last seen online:
Tue, 22 Jul 2014 12:07 pm
User's local time:
Tue, 19 Dec 2017 2:39 am
Green Water: Not Telling

Hi there fellow members, I have a new 2 feet tank which is about 2 weeks old. It's having new tank syndrome and I have hard time controlling the ammonia level. I bought an ammonia-zero from ocean free 3 days ago and left it in my Eheim 2206 but the ammonia doesn't go away. Been feeding my goldfish once a day with very little feed. Yesterday I bought a biostarter. Question is shall I take out the ammonia-zero before I add in any biostarter, seems like the 2 will balance out each other. Bros out there with experience please help...
many thanks.. hi.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
desireless
post Fri, 09 Jun 2006 12:51 am
Post #2

养鱼养得好又如何
Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 9
Group: Super Moderator
Topics Started: 558
Last seen online:
Wed, 15 Mar 2017 5:26 am
User's local time:
Green Water: Yes

Hi Ernie,

First of all, welcome to RG.

You are right about the "new tank syndrome". What you need to know is about the "Cycling Of Tank. Pay special attention to point 4 of CP's topic here:

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3031

I have never tried Biostarter but from the name of it, I assume it to be a product that helps in the cultivation of Beneficial Bacteria. The cultivation of Beneficial Bacteria is what goes behind the scene (in microscopic scale) when you are cycling your tank.

You will need to cycle your tank (including filter) so that there will be beneficial bacteria to act on ammonia, changing it to something less harmful like nitrate.
+Quote Post
ernie
post Fri, 09 Jun 2006 1:09 am
Post #3

Group Icon

Last seen online:
User's local time:

Thanks for the prompt reply, correct me if I am wrong , I was trying to speed up the colonization of the BB in my filter using the biostarter. Well since the BB thrive on ammonia, does my putting in the ammonia-away deprive the BB of the ammonia they need in order to survive? Was a bit greedy cos trying to control the ammonia in the tank and also trying to cultivate BB at the same time, shall I remove the ammonia away, was confuse.. good.gif
+Quote Post
gohks
post Fri, 09 Jun 2006 11:05 am
Post #4

Silver
Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 1,639
Topics Started: 8
Last seen online:
Mon, 17 Feb 2014 2:37 pm
User's local time:
Green Water: No

QUOTE(ernie @ Fri, 09 Jun 2006 1:09 am)
Thanks for the prompt reply, correct me if I am wrong , I was trying to speed up the colonization of the BB in my filter using the biostarter. Well since the BB thrive on ammonia, does my putting in the ammonia-away deprive the BB of the ammonia they need in order to survive? Was a bit greedy cos trying to control the ammonia in the tank and also trying to cultivate BB at the same time, shall I remove the ammonia away, was confuse..  good.gif

Understand your dilemma as you are having fishes in a new tank (if you don't have a spare one). You are afraid the ammonia may hurt your fishes and also concern that getting rid of ammonia will starve your BB.
Not to worry, your goldfish will produce ammonia faster then your ammonia-away can get rid of them for your BB. To accelerate the cycle process, try applying your bio-starter directly onto your filter medium. Stop feeding your fishes for the time being and stop using the ammonia away if you can. Do daily partial water change till the water clear. Should stabilize in a week or so. smile.gif
+Quote Post
ernie
post Sat, 10 Jun 2006 12:19 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Last seen online:
User's local time:

hi.gif Thanks GohKS , have since taken out the ammonia away, will do partial water change on daily basis, hopefully my goldfish will understand biggrin.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19-Dec-17 2:39 am
Logo
RSS

Site Map
RafflesGold - Web Space for Goldfish Lovers
Copyrighted © 2003-2006 RafflesGold.com. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
RafflesGold.com is a non-profit independent hobbyist supported forum based in Singapore
Donate to keep us operational
Link to Us
Contact Us