Group: Forum Doctor
Topics Started: 377
Last seen online:
Tue, 03 Oct 2017 11:38 pm
User's local time:
Fri, 15 Dec 2017 8:53 am
Green Water: No

Hi all

No one ever said that responsible goldfish ownership is an economical proposition. Yet it often comes as a surprise to new keepers to discover that the initial purchase or adoption fee of a fish is only the beginning.With the economy on most of our minds these days,we at RG would like to know how our members deal with the financial as well as emotional commitment involved in living with your fishes.Please try to answer the survey questions below diligently and honestly .

1)How many goldfishes do you own?

2)When you first become a goldfish owner,were you surprised by the cost of its ownership?

3)What do you consider the most expensive aspect of goldfish ownership?

a)Medication,supplement or addictives
b)Food and treats
c)Grooming and boarding
d)Water management and husbandry
e)Competition and showing
f)Accessories

4)Do you consider goldfish keeping an expensive indulgence?

5)How much do you spend on your goldfish each year?

6)In your opinion,are some goldfish more expensive than others(including other fishes)

7)Have financial concerns ever affected your decisions on the care of your pet goldfishes?

8)How has the cost of goldfish ownership affected your activities or lifestyle?

9)How do you believe prospective goldie owners can prepare for the cost of fish ownership?

10)What advice can you offer to other fish owner or would be owner on caring for their fishes responsibly yet economically?

Thank you for your time………..

Talking Doc
goldrush
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
The Matrix
post Fri, 20 Oct 2006 6:35 pm
Post #2

The Matrix
Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 19
Group: Associate
Topics Started: 20
Last seen online:
Fri, 17 Sep 2010 5:22 pm
User's local time:
Green Water: Yes

I think I better go last .... hahahahaha. If not the rest all will not write anymore shiok.gif

One question with no answer available > #3 Most expensive is Time.
+Quote Post
goldrush
post Fri, 20 Oct 2006 7:22 pm
Post #3

RG Doc.com
Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 319
Last seen online:
User's local time:

blink.gif

Only you and me left ah

What happen to the rest?Regulars and irregulars semua elang.....

rusure.gif
+Quote Post
CP
post Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:12 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 309
Group: Super Moderator
Topics Started: 59
Last seen online:
Yesterday, 11:11 am
User's local time:

About 10.Lost count liao.

2)When you first become a goldfish owner,were you surprised by the cost of its ownership?
Yes, twice.First when I found out fish cost $2 and medication $6, so why bother to save the fish.
Later I found out fish cost $500 and food only $6.

For cheap fish, the food and medication.
For expensive fish, the fish itself.

Nothing compared to what I spend in cigarettes,liquor and 4D.

About 1k.

6)In your opinion,are some goldfish more expensive than others(including other fishes)
Yes of course.

7)Have financial concerns ever affected your decisions on the care of your pet goldfishes?
No.

Insignificant.

9)How do you believe prospective goldie owners can prepare for the cost of fish ownership?
Need not buy expensive fish.Breed to enjoy the hobby to the fullest.

10)What advice can you offer to other fish owner or would be owner on caring for their fishes responsibly yet economically?
Change water, change water,change water, and you save a bundle in medications.
+Quote Post
d_golem
post Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:05 pm
Post #5

Silver
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,470
Group: Member
Topics Started: 17
Last seen online:
Wed, 10 Dec 2008 9:34 pm
User's local time:
Fri, 15 Dec 2017 9:53 am
Green Water: Not Telling

11, with additional 60 or so 3-week old fries.

Oh yes. I thought you just need a container filled with water and a packet of pellets.

d)Water management and husbandry - Not for the monetary cost, but the time spent for water changing etc.

Nope.

If I haven't got any additional stuff to spend on, about $100-200 maybe more.

Yep.

In teh early days yes, but not anymore.

Lost a few hours each week doing water changes, feeding, etc, but very minor disruption.

Provide them with ample information from the start.

Buy cheap small fish with good potential. Then groom till become a big beautiful goldie.
+Quote Post
Kinder
post Sat, 21 Oct 2006 8:46 am
Post #6

Silver
Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 1,850
Topics Started: 23
Last seen online:
Sat, 20 Aug 2011 10:48 pm
User's local time:
Fri, 15 Dec 2017 10:53 am

I study scoial science, so use to doing surveys.
Now just hope we get good turn out..... good_very.gif

Just 3 la...(could have been totally different scenario if i was living in any of the asian countries.)

Yes....the more i read on RG, the more it became aware of it.

C) Grooming and Boarding; by boarding i mean finding adequate space for goldfishes (60-80L/goldie).

Initially Yes. When setting up an indoor or outdoor setup.

This is my 1st yr, & im in my 7mnth and by now i think i might have spend just under $700.

Maybay not applicable here in Oz, since we get all shitty fish. i mean goldies only.

Nope hmm.gif

I get teased at times by my partner....spending too much time with fish. Other than that OK!

I dont think you can prepare them by any means, Its a phase that every goldfish hobbyist will go through at the initiall stages. Thats why we are all humans and not robots.

Irrespective of what goldie you keep (show quality or cheapo), Don't ever compramise on space (60-80L/fish), Filter and last but not least..... weekly water changes (100%).
+Quote Post
gohks
post Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:51 am
Post #7

Silver
Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 1,639
Topics Started: 8
Last seen online:
Mon, 17 Feb 2014 2:37 pm
User's local time:

~ 50, lost count and don't bother to count blush.gif

Yes and No. Yes as I did not know this hobby can also suffer inflation and I can be in this hobby for so long. No, because I am prepared to spend my fortune bigwink.gif and my family used to be in this business. tongue.gif

Food, one small packet of Jap brand pellet can buy 10kg of human rice. smile.gif)

Again Yes and No ans. Yes, because the cost (tangible and intangible) can be hugmongous if you don't manage well. No, because it's a healthy hobby and still much cheaper then those silly things man like to do (gambling, womanizing, drinking) and women like to do (indulge in branded goods).

Did not monitor and can't be bother, should be around few K's. Simply write-off. Sometimes I really wonder where these monies will go to if I do not have this hobby, and maybe I am earning back unconsiously as the goldfish gives me some luck and ward off misfortune.

Yes and No. No because other fishes like Aro and discus are more ex. Certainly yes among goldfish. A nice looking fish can cost less then $10/- but an ordinary looking fish can cost a bomb (e.g. branded Jap bloodline). yes.gif

Luckily, so far nope sweatingbullets.gif

Take out some of my times from family and works. But find a stress relieve and is a good form of exercise and knowledge gain. nananana.gif

Prepare your mind to have lump sum of money down the drain with little return. Else don't even bother to venture into this hobby.

You should expect your fishes to live very long up to 5 - 10 yrs or even more. Learn the skill of prolonging goldfish lives. Always have this mindset of prevention is better then cure. IMO, goldfish not like human being, should never get sick. Once sick, it is very difficult to recover and drastically weaken and would not even live very long. Medication should never even be part of the cost equation, and our doc will get out of business soon tongue.gif

This post has been edited by gohks: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:59 am
+Quote Post
JLaw
post Sun, 22 Oct 2006 2:44 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,010
Topics Started: 0
Last seen online:
Sat, 07 Nov 2009 9:22 am
User's local time:
Fri, 15 Dec 2017 10:53 am

Yes but more surprised at my blatant diregard for economics in the setup of my tanks

c and f

Absolutely

$5,500 easily

Indeed

No, but it affects whether or not I buy groceries that week

No extensions for the house this year rolleyes.gif

If funds are tight, don't buy goldfish

Don't worry about all the useless decorations, as long as your tank is adequate in size, your water is perfect and diet nutritional then the cost is justifiable
+Quote Post
kukoo
post Sun, 22 Oct 2006 5:43 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,096
Topics Started: 8
Last seen online:
Sat, 27 Jun 2009 5:35 am
User's local time:
Fri, 15 Dec 2017 4:53 am

Not much because finding some of the mandatory stuff I had to have for this hobby was a problem for me where I live so didn't worry about the cost.

a and f

Not really.

close to USD100 when converted...

Of course.

At times... but things are improving...

We used to travel alot but ever since I got my fish, we couldn't take a proper vacation. (hoping to very soon though) But having goldfish has calmed me down alot, and I feel relaxed when we come home after work and watch my fish swimming and they kind of act excited to see me and my family around...

They need to do some research before purchasing the fish on a spur of the moment decesion. That way they'll be prepared.

Take care of the water and have a suitable spacious tank/pond or a tub for your number of fish. A fish tank is not a night club so don't decorate it like one. Maintain the water quality, and have a clean tank and this will save money and worries in the long run. Take care of those cycled filters and medicate the fish if necessary in another small tank or a tub by isolating the sick fish. Oh and don't forget to join a fish forum like Raffles shiok.gif

This post has been edited by kukoo: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 5:51 pm
+Quote Post
The Matrix
post Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:39 pm
Post #10

The Matrix
Group Icon

User Gallery
Last seen online:
User's local time:

Is that all ??? Can't be right .... com'on guys ...
+Quote Post
small_ranchu
post Tue, 31 Oct 2006 1:06 am
Post #11

Silver
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,319
Topics Started: 15
Last seen online:
Thu, 09 May 2013 10:04 pm
User's local time:
Thu, 14 Dec 2017 8:53 pm

not really.

I would say, the time taken to do a research on how to take care of them properly

not really

< $1000 (electric bill is getting higher sad.gif )

yeap

i would say 'no'

not really. Only effect during the exam time(if you are a student)

well, for this question, I believe all you have to do is know yourself.

Goldfish loves a big room, don't overcrowded them

Thanks guy.
+Quote Post
goldrush
post Tue, 31 Oct 2006 2:45 pm
Post #12

RG Doc.com
Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 319
Last seen online:
User's local time:

thinking.gif Hmmmmmmm I'm very encouraged by such oversea responses but rather disappointed with our local participation.......seem abit inhibited somehow rusure.gif

Yep we need more feedback and active participation to generate more precise conclusions if there are any bigwink.gif
+Quote Post
The Matrix
post Tue, 31 Oct 2006 5:30 pm
Post #13

The Matrix
Group Icon

User Gallery
Last seen online:
User's local time:

Since the rest all waiting ... forum moderators oui .. tongue.gif

Here is mine then .... I say already lor ... sure to shock many but definitely not Geert.

Since day 1 ... > 1000 fishes. If include fries ... > 100K
Right now, din really count but at least 150. If include fries about 200 maybe more, din bother to count. Lucky only talk about goldfish else over half million fish.

Nope ... I uncle bot the 1st fish. So I dun really know. But till now, keep within budget is an important aspect of this hobby. Cost of fish is nothing compare to travelling around to see fish and meet with hobbyists.

Other than the valuable time spend on goldfish related activities per week, grooming and boarding would be next in term of tangible value.

No

>S$ 5K but < S$10K . No fix sum, depending if I am buying more expensive fish for that year.

In term of ornamental fish, no. In term of hobby, Never.

Yes. That was during the financial crisis. Badly affected.

At least 12-15 hours per week of non-working hours spend on this hobby. In some way, goldfish activities has become a part of my lifestyle. When comes to certain period, can be as busy as working life.

Do spend within budget. Keep it as simple as possible.

Repeat CP message : Change water change water change water and nothing but change water.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15-Dec-17 8:53 am
Logo
RSS

Site Map
RafflesGold - Web Space for Goldfish Lovers
Copyrighted © 2003-2006 RafflesGold.com. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
RafflesGold.com is a non-profit independent hobbyist supported forum based in Singapore
Donate to keep us operational
Link to Us
Contact Us