Group: Member
Topics Started: 1
Last seen online:
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 5:39 pm
User's local time:
Wed, 18 Oct 2017 8:14 pm
Green Water: No

Hi Forum Bro,

Newbie her need some comment/guidance here regarding green water. First time trying outdoor green water.
I understand in clear water grooming, hobbyist will do daily wc of 20-30% to obtain good water parameter and fast growth of ranchu.
My question is, is there the same advantage/disadvantage on ranchu growth rate and water parameter with green water, if we do wc say 10-15% daily, before weekly 100%wc?
I have my homemade outdoor pond of abt 1300 -1500l greenwater housing 12 (3.5 inch) ranchu. with just air stone in it. So far goldfish health is good (touch wood.. tongue.gif )
Wanted to know if can have the good aspect from green water and cw.

Will appreciate any comments, thank you.

Cheers.
Siung
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
CP
post Mon, 20 Oct 2008 3:41 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 309
Group: Super Moderator
Topics Started: 59
Last seen online:
Thu, 12 Oct 2017 2:25 pm
User's local time:
Wed, 18 Oct 2017 9:14 pm
Green Water: Yes

Well, first and foremost, frequent changes of 20% to 30% is NOT as good as massive water change; whether clear water or green water. For clear water, nitrates will continue to increase over time if the water change is less than 50%; all other parameters being equal (eg feeding patterns).

For green water, there is no need to do partial changes daily since there are no nitrates; plus the amount changed will not reduce the amount of green. Better to have 100% change with 5 to 10% seed and let it turn green within the next few days.
+Quote Post
n-bie
post Mon, 20 Oct 2008 6:49 pm
Post #3

Ordinary
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,240
Last seen online:
User's local time:

Thank you for your comment bro CP. good_very.gif

from what i know some hobbyists practice 20-30% daily wc + 90-100% wc (this will reduce the nitrate)during week end. While daily 20-30% wc is to copy continous dripping method/live water. They claim their goldfish growth rate increase alot with the method.

In green water , my point of daily 10-15% wc is to reduce growth inhibitor hormon i read from this forum ( i thik started by yourself CMIIW biggrin.gif ). and to provide goldfish the feel of daily fresh water bath biggrin.gif .

Is it usefull ot just waste of my water bill. (water bill did increase alot due to big volume of pond sad.gif )

Thanks again.
cheers
Siung
+Quote Post
CP
post Mon, 20 Oct 2008 8:56 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 309
Group: Super Moderator
Topics Started: 59
Last seen online:
Thu, 12 Oct 2017 2:25 pm
User's local time:
Green Water: Yes

Hi Siung,

If I were you:
1)Greenwater - Forget about the daily 20% change as I find it more of a chore not to mention water wasting.

2)Clearwater - Even if drip method replaces say 10 to 20% water daily, it is still better than physically changing the water. Reason being drip method is usually accompanied by an OVERFLOW system whereby the top layer of the water is continuously removed. Proteins and ammonia are known to be concentrated at the water surface so an overflow drip system greatly improves water condition. Only drawback is that we generally cannot estimate how much water is being replaced daily hence the tackling of chlorine/chloramine issue is a bit tricky when using drip method with tap water.

Rgds
CP
+Quote Post
n-bie
post Tue, 21 Oct 2008 5:45 pm
Post #5

Ordinary
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,240
Last seen online:
User's local time:

Bro CP,

Ok, Noted.
Then i can save some part of water bill then hehehe shiok.gif
Thanks for your advice.

Cheers
Siung
+Quote Post
2goldfish
post Wed, 24 Dec 2008 6:55 am
Post #6

Ordinary
Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 2,743
Topics Started: 9
Last seen online:
Sun, 27 Nov 2011 11:02 pm
User's local time:

QUOTE(CP @ Mon, 20 Oct 2008 8:56 pm) *

Hi Siung,

If I were you:
1)Greenwater - Forget about the daily 20% change as I find it more of a chore not to mention water wasting.

2)Clearwater - Even if drip method replaces say 10 to 20% water daily, it is still better than physically changing the water. Reason being drip method is usually accompanied by an OVERFLOW system whereby the top layer of the water is continuously removed. Proteins and ammonia are known to be concentrated at the water surface so an overflow drip system greatly improves water condition. Only drawback is that we generally cannot estimate how much water is being replaced daily hence the tackling of chlorine/chloramine issue is a bit tricky when using drip method with tap water.
Rgds
CP

Hi CP,
Thanks for all the previous advice the last time I was starting to keep Ranchus. Now my Ranchus have become much bigger-3/4 palm size due in part to green water that keeps coming back very soon after changing as much as 90% water!! How do I get rid of this as the green water sometimes also turns into black algae along the sidewalls of the plastic 5 ft tub? Also, do I need to change water every week if I have green water? It seems to look filthy or sub-consciously look filthy but the fish seem to be alright swimming in murky waters that are not transparent green.. beg2.gif .
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18-Oct-17 9:14 pm
Logo
RSS

Site Map
RafflesGold - Web Space for Goldfish Lovers
Copyrighted © 2003-2006 RafflesGold.com. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
RafflesGold.com is a non-profit independent hobbyist supported forum based in Singapore
Donate to keep us operational
Link to Us
Contact Us