Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> A Welcome Note to New Members

Members are reminded to use our SEARCH Engine to look for our archives of discussions. Please understand that most members do not enjoy answering the same questions over and over again. If your search is futile and you are not sure if similar questions have been asked before, please post in this section first. Our hardworking moderators will vet through your topic and will shift to the rightful section if it is something new and interesting.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cycling Or Not?help!, confused about cycling or too much ammonia.
slayersophie
post Sat, 13 Jun 2009 9:51 am
Post #1

Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 4,659
Group: Member
Topics Started: 3
Last seen online:
Thu, 03 Sep 2009 10:26 am
User's local time:
Sun, 17 Dec 2017 9:46 am
Green Water: Not Telling

Hi there.I am new to this site and have researched quite a bit about goldfish,but I am a little concerned for my fish,and confused about my water.I have a 60 gallon tank with 4 Orandas and 1 baby pearlscale.I have an airpump and an aquaclear filter appropriate for my tank size.My tank has been set up for about a month now.It went through its cycle phase already. So down to my problem/question.
My black ,white,and orange orandas had a fungal infection,so I treated the tank with with Jungle fungus clear,Melafix,and I added salt to my tank to help things along.(The fish are doing wonderful since the treatment good_very.gif ) .After the treatment I did a 40% water change as recommended.The next day my tank was cloudy like it was cycling all over again.I did remove the carbon while the tank was being treated and replaced it with the aquaclear ammonia remover.After the 40% water change I took out the ammonia remover and put carbon back in.I also vacuumed the gravel.I tested my water and the nitrate is safe but the nitrites are 3.0 which is high.My PH is7.8 which is high as well.My ammonia level is 3.0. I was wondering if this is just another cycle or if I need to do more water changes and beef up my filter one size with the ammonia remover and carbon,to help with all the waste.I am worried about my fishes health through all of this,and will heed any advice given to me,as I am very very concerned.If my tank is cycling will my fish be ok? What should I do?
Thank you for any and all help! beg2.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
goldrush
post Sat, 13 Jun 2009 10:48 pm
Post #2

RG Doc.com
Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 319
Group: Forum Doctor
Topics Started: 377
Last seen online:
Tue, 03 Oct 2017 11:38 pm
User's local time:
Sun, 17 Dec 2017 9:46 pm
Green Water: No

Next time try treating isolated cases in a separate bare tank.You may have wiped out your BB in your set up.So you need to recycle the tank all over again.Do partial water changes and feed very sparingly.Monitor the water parameters closely.If other fishes are showing signs of true fungus then the gravels need to be disinfected and not just vacuumed.You need fish waste and indirectly ammonia to kick in the cycling,so an ammonia remover at this point may be a hindrance to the cycling process.
+Quote Post
slayersophie
post Sun, 14 Jun 2009 7:55 am
Post #3

Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 4,659
Group: Member
Topics Started: 3
Last seen online:
Thu, 03 Sep 2009 10:26 am
User's local time:
Sun, 17 Dec 2017 9:46 am
Green Water: Not Telling

Thank you so much! The fish are still doing fine and show no signs of illness but if they do ,I will treat them in a separate tank(it seems so obvious now wacko.gif ).I really appreciate your help,and it helped clarify everything for me! yes.gif
Once again,thank you!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17-Dec-17 9:46 pm
Logo
RSS

Site Map
RafflesGold - Web Space for Goldfish Lovers
Copyrighted © 2003-2006 RafflesGold.com. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
RafflesGold.com is a non-profit independent hobbyist supported forum based in Singapore
Donate to keep us operational
Link to Us
Contact Us