Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blackouts!
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
HappyBuddha
So it seems those of you who live in Bishan, Choa Chua Kang, Paya Lebar, Holland Village and Woodlands are in the dark now because of a disruption in the supply of natural gas from Indonesia. Parts of Jurong, Ang Mo Kio, Changi, Serangoon North, Tampines and Sengkang were also affected.

Oh dear...

Fortunately it's Tuesday so those of you who changed your green water during the weekend is probably safe. You could stick your feet into the tub and paddle away to aerate the water if your fish starts gasping for air. Kekekeke.

Those with an overstocked filtered tank... kekekeke... get a hose and start blowing.

IPB Image

Good to have!
domho7
Heng ah, my place didnt kena if not my AC/DC also not working, cos the rechargeable batt died aldy. sad.gif

how much does 1 of the APC thing cost
HappyBuddha
You have a AC/DC pump for emergency yet it doesn't work readily?! sad.gif

A typical UPS costs about $120 onwards. I suggest getting a good brand. I had a Malaysian brand and the replacement battery (yeah... a UPS's internal battery will dies off overtime and can't hold a charge anymore requiring replacement) costs almost as much as a new unit. Worse of all, the battery lasted only a year. The APC brand I have is about 3-4 years old now and still going strong. Protecting my fishes is a French MGE like the smallest one pictured below. Mine is an older model and does not have USB connection.... which is perfectly alright since my Shiruba pump ain't got no USB port. biggrin.gif

ReloadZoom http://www.mgeups.com/products/pdt120/1ph/ellipse/html/frame.htm

I think I paid about $140 for this one. Shop around Funan; sometimes you get great UPS deals from a shop call Suntronics.
CyberET
doh.. i rather use the UPS on my computers than on my fishes biggrin.gif
hmm...maybe i'll get a new higher capacity to replace my old one wink.gif
CyberET
so anyone lost any fishy?
desireless
It is quite a short blackout... AMK lasted about 15-20 minutes
CyberET
mine lasted from 10pm - 12mn sad.gif
heng no deaths.. i hope..
mountain
i slept the nite away after coming back from the gym .. zzzzz ...
LASERGUY
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Tue 29 Jun 2004 11:34 PM)
So it seems those of you who live in Bishan, Choa Chua Kang, Paya Lebar, Holland Village and Woodlands are in the dark now because of a disruption in the supply of natural gas from Indonesia.  Parts of Jurong, Ang Mo Kio, Changi, Serangoon North, Tampines and Sengkang were also affected.

Oh dear...

Fortunately it's Tuesday so those of you  who changed your green water during the weekend is probably safe.  You could stick your feet into the tub and paddle away to aerate the water if your fish starts gasping for air.  Kekekeke.

Those with an overstocked filtered tank... kekekeke... get a hose and start blowing.

User Posted Image

Good to have!

Eh, this type of UPS normally have only 10 ~ 20 minutes battery life when is fully charged, just enough time for you to save all your unfinished work before the PC starts to shutdown. It is not meant to act as a secondary power source. Will need a generator running on liquid fuel for that.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(LASERGUY @ Wed 30 Jun 2004 08:58 AM)
Eh, this type of UPS normally have only 10 ~ 20 minutes battery life when is fully charged, just enough time for you to save all your unfinished work before the PC starts to shutdown. It is not meant to act as a secondary power source. Will need a generator running on liquid fuel for that.

I have never tried my UPS out in the sense of simulating a blackout... but maybe you can tell me....

If a UPS is rated for 10 minutes to power a PC, which includes a power sucking Monitor, wouldn't it be possible for the UPS to power a few small air pumps for many hours? Off hand I don't know how many watts my Shiruba air pump consumes but the 4 port Resun is rated at 5 watts (while a Ehiem 2213 canister is just 8 watts.)

To maximize usage... I probably need to re-think my UPS connection. Right now my lamp is also connected to it which is silly in a life-saving situation but heck... I figured there's nothing much to do in a blackout and staring at my fish may be the only thing to do... biggrin.gif
jhansolo
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Wed 30 Jun 2004 09:42 AM)
If a UPS is rated for 10 minutes to power a PC, which includes a power sucking Monitor, wouldn't it be possible for the UPS to power a few small air pumps for many hours?

Technically I think it should last for at least 3 hrs depending on the condition of the battery and the capacity. But I would say, don't rush to buy now as you won't get good deals as the outage just happened. Wait for a few weeks, deals would be sweet. As for emergency usage, you can connect your air line to space bike inner tube.

For me keeping battery powered air pump is still the best, I'm using five-plan atomic 2. Tested it can power the sponge filter upto about 10 hours with 2 size D super heavy duty battery.
top_view_ranchu
This batteries powered air pump can bought opposite CCk farm mart at $3.50 very cheap shiok.gif Cannot remember the shop name! If driving, do a right b4 the left entrance to farm mart. Many accesories lelong price too.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Wed 30 Jun 2004 10:34 AM)
For me keeping battery powered air pump is still the best, I'm using five-plan atomic 2.  Tested it can power the sponge filter upto about 10 hours with 2 size D super heavy duty battery.

I have a cheapo DC powered air pump which I use to aerate basins. Works on 2 Size D batteries too although I usually only install one battery to halve the pump's output. I don't like to use it becoz it's very noisy.

However, this cheap alternative would work only if you're at home. A blackout can happen in the day time when you're in the office, or late at night while you sleep so you can't connect the DC pump to take over the job.
jhansolo
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Wed 30 Jun 2004 11:22 AM)
I don't like to use it becoz it's very noisy.

As noisy is a very subjective thing, I'm not upset with the atomic II noise level.

I have someone at home most of the time, of course UPS is definitely a good thing to have.
HappyBuddha
An hour ago I unplugged my UPS from the main to simulate a blackout.

It's emitting warning beeps about it... Fortunately the beep actually sounds kinda cool but loud so it's driving me a little crazy now.

Let's see when will the reserved power finish up....

A thot; I wonder what happen to those fishes in overcrowded tanks at LFS in affected areas? If they didn't die of suffocation, they probably are in bad shape becoz of the collapse of the bio-filtration system? unsure.gif
square_guy
This guy got his APC frm SL tower for $70+

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133363

This model can apparently run for 1hr 12min using 50W at 230V.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techsp..._sku=BE500%2DAS

http://www.apc.com/products/runtime_for_ex...fm?upsfamily=21

a small hiblow or equivalent shd consume <40W. think that's more than enough for most of us.
LASERGUY
Guys, just heard bad news from Andy this morning.
His Tikus and ranchu in green water at his mom's place all knock out during yesterday 2 hours blackout !!!! sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(square_guy @ Wed 30 Jun 2004 12:08 PM)
This guy got his APC frm SL tower for $70+

$73 brand new is affordable. If I'm not wrong, there's a popular AC/DC autoswitching pumps that costs about the same. The mentioned UPS, however, allows you to keep your existing air pumps.

Be sure to ask how much does the replacement battery costs. Ideally it should be user replacable instead of having to bring it back to the agent/distributor to replace.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(LASERGUY @ Wed 30 Jun 2004 12:16 PM)
Guys, just heard bad news from Andy this morning.
His Tikus and ranchu in green water at his mom's place all knock out during yesterday 2 hours blackout !!!!  sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif

His Blacky is at home, I hope. My condolences to Andy.

Er... weren't you planning to move your topview ranchus to his green water tub? unsure.gif Have you? sad.gif(
LASERGUY
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Wed 30 Jun 2004 12:19 PM)
His Blacky is at home, I hope.  My condolences to Andy.

Er... weren't you planning to move your topview ranchus to his green water tub?  unsure.gif  Have you?  sad.gif(

Yah, already passed 3 of my TV to him 2 weeks back, not dared to ask him whether OK or not..... sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
square_guy
hmm, i can understand the tikus being knocked out by the power failure, but ranchus? 2 hrs of shortage shdn't be deadly unless the green water is very overstocked or the fish is not healthy, isn't it?
mountain
aiyo .. tat bad ah... hmm .. tiku never mind.. $2 nia ..
but ranchu ah .. sure sian 1/2 ..
The Matrix
QUOTE(LASERGUY @ Wed 30 Jun 2004 12:24 PM)
Yah, already passed 3 of my TV to him 2 weeks back, not dared to ask him whether OK or not..... sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif

weep.gif holy tornado cry.gif

how could 2 hours of black out knock out fishes in green water ? My first reaction when the lights go off is preparation to change water.

Andy, dun feel sad. Pick up and go again.

For the rest, check your fish as soon as possible and those with test kits, do a check on the parameters. At least make sure there is nothing wrong with the setup and filtration units.
HappyBuddha
Yah, already passed 3 of my TV to him 2 weeks back, not dared to ask him whether OK or not..... sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif

sad.gif

Sorry to hear that but I guess you're prepared for the worse news. My condolences to you too.
caster
I have casuality... one of my quarantine sick fish died... I just did not have enough AC/DC outlet to run abt.

My AC/DC (7mths old) from Qian Hu did not die on me during the 2hr ordeal but my AC/DC (9mth old) from Haliea die on me after 1.5hrs.......

Seems like the Qian HU brand is still much more reliable... I will be replacing all my batteries.... just incase the black out strike again

I will be acquiring a couple more AC/DC pump liao....... anyone know of any cheap lobang please let me know. Thanks
CyberET
i wonder how many lfs suffered losses.. unsure.gif
desireless
QUOTE(caster @ Wed 30 Jun 2004 02:27 PM)
My AC/DC (7mths old) from Qian Hu did not die on me during the 2hr ordeal but my AC/DC (9mth old) from Haliea die on me after 1.5hrs.......

I think it is about "Heng/Sway" getting a working AC/DC pump. Not the first time I heard about AC/DC pump not performing. After bro Dom's "almost tragic" (power breaker burnt and his AC/DC battery was a defective one) that day, I ran a test on my HaiLea (UAS 12000) and surprisingly it ran for 6 hours non-stop. good_very.gif I did not further run the test because I was tired back then and stopped the test. I will do burn-out test and see how long the battery will actually last. I think it is always good to run a test on your AC/DC pump (on the very same day you buy it) to see if the DC system really works. Then at least can bring back to exchange.

BTW talking about reliable AC/DC pump, SHIRUBA has a AC/DC model. But it is SUPER EXPENSIVE at $160 per piece. My face almost turned green when Choco asked the boss how much it was... ohmy.gif So far I only see one shop in SG that carries it. The LSF that is beside a rabbit store in Serangoon North Ave 2. A few steps of walk away from PetMart and Rainbow.

Still waiting for bro to test their UPS on how long it will last with how many accessories attached to it
domho7
Bro Andy called me this noon, think he told me he lost about 11 GFs, no SHOWGRADE type!!!

Yeah mine was Lifetech, I did a test, the batt didnt last more than 2mins. NNB!! mad.gif

I panicked ran to some shop selling fishing gear and luckily they had some battery powered pump!!
henry_giap
Just a tip to overcome blackout. Place your goldfish with water in plastic bag and fill in oxygen just like when you want to transport your goldfish oranda.gif
desireless
Wah lan 11 ah!?! ohmy.gif

Condolence condolence....

Must claim from PUB liao! mad.gif

I checked with my friends leh... They have no insurance plans for g/f leh..
WHY?! WHY?! WHY?!
Seacucumber
of the 11, 6 are tikus.....hehehehe...
the rest all chupalang....

eh....Laser, you lucky prick, your 3 tv fishes are still alive.....
together with the tv that i bought from Ubi....hehehe....

the other tub all perish....5 pcs of chupalang ranchus....from AG home, my wife's TBJ, and a few more lousy pcs of worthless shit which i can't think of ways to dispose.....must thank the GARMENT.....hehehe

probably due to airpump not strong enough....cos mine 1 side strong 1 side weaker......
Seacucumber
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Wed 30 Jun 2004 12:19 PM)
His Blacky is at home, I hope.  My condolences to Andy.

Er... weren't you planning to move your topview ranchus to his green water tub?  unsure.gif  Have you?  sad.gif(

my blackies are fine.....
lucky my own house no blackout.....or else i dunno wat to do.....hehehehe
Seacucumber

nahiah.....
your 3 fish whack about 4 cubes of bloodworms this morning after water change....
i purposely keep quiet about your 3 fishes to keep you in suspense....hahahaha wink.gif
desireless
Heng ah your blackie still ok...
If happen to your house then you can own self blow... Or maybe use chopstick stir the bubble in water liao laugh.gif

I wasn't at home that time leh.... Was dam worried when the street suddenly became totally dark. First thing came into my mind was those tanks not using the (only) AC/DC pump that I have...
mountain
hmm .. the next time we meet, remind me to buy some oxygen gels ..
CyberET
QUOTE(g-string @ Wed 30 Jun 2004 10:03 PM)
of the 11, 6 are tikus.....hehehehe...
the rest all chupalang....

eh....Laser, you lucky prick, your 3 tv fishes are still alive.....
together with the tv that i bought from Ubi....hehehe....

the other tub all perish....5 pcs of chupalang ranchus....from AG home, my wife's TBJ, and a few more lousy pcs of worthless shit which i can't think of ways to dispose.....must thank the GARMENT.....hehehe

probably due to airpump not strong enough....cos mine 1 side strong 1 side weaker......

wah lao, so many in the chupalang tub, of course die la
laugh.gif

was at darwin today, damn amusing, so many ppl buying ac/dc pump biggrin.gif
The Matrix
another surge in equipment pricing .... worst, tikus price just surge to 25~30 for a golf ball size .... pray hard that those 2 bucks one will not follow.
HappyBuddha
blush.gif

I was testing out how long my UPS's reserved power could last.

Sorry guys. I have to stop the test after 3 hours becoz the constant warning beeps were driving me nuts!

I recall the tempo of the beep will stretch longer as power runs low. It literally become a constant no break beeeeeeeeeep when the power is nearly exhausted.

But yesterday after 3 hours, the tempo of beeping was still the same, implying the UPS could go on for quite a while longer.
caster
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Thu 01 Jul 2004 12:40 PM)
blush.gif

I was testing out how long my UPS's reserved power could last.

Sorry guys.  I have to stop the test after 3 hours becoz the constant warning beeps were driving me nuts!

I recall the tempo of the beep will stretch longer as power runs low.  It literally become a constant no break beeeeeeeeeep when the power is nearly exhausted.

But yesterday after 3 hours, the tempo of beeping was still the same, implying the UPS could go on for quite a while longer.

hi HB

Wat is the rating of your UPS and how many Watts is ur Air pumps in total if your are discharging more than one??

Very interesting smile.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(caster @ Thu 01 Jul 2004 01:24 PM)
hi HB

Wat is the rating of your UPS and how many Watts is ur Air pumps in total if your are discharging more than one??

Very interesting smile.gif

IPB Image

I don't know what is the rating as I can't find the specs on MGE's site but here's what printed on the back.

IPB Image

And here's the model number. The current model is a Ellipse 500 USB which has a USB port, good for PC where the UPS will send a signal to your PC to save all opened files and shut down but useless in our application....

For the test, I connected two Shiruba air pumps (the wattage however is unknown) only.
caster
Thank you HB for your detail information. Seems like UPS is the way to go....cheers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.