Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice On Lighting
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
ranchuman
Hi all bros..

Would like to check if any 1 know what is the recommended light wattage for a 4ft guppy brand blue tub to cultivate green water?
Any bro that has similiar setup can share?

..erm, assuming the water is filled to 3/4 of the depth.

thanks smile.gif
HappyBuddha
Most of the setup I know has at least 150 watts, and a kelvin rating of at least 6500 and up to 12000 kelvin. These are setup that uses the commercial outdoor MH lamp... like this one.

You can also spend more and get a ceiling suspended aquarium MH lamp made by Arcadia, or one of the many Chinese brand name including Atman. In this case, you should know the "standard" guppy tub is only 3 1/2 feet in width (not 4 ft) so that you could maybe find one that can sit on top of the tub instead of having it mounted and hanging down from your ceiling.

PS. The distributor of Atman MH Lamp is that LFS in AquaFauna... the one with a Marine tank converted from a Jaguar car; the new Atman MH lamp is very cool looking.
ranchuman
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Wed 21 Jul 2004 04:06 pm)
Most of the setup I know has at least 150 watts, and a kelvin rating of at least 6500 and up to 12000 kelvin.  These are setup that uses the commercial outdoor MH lamp... like this one.

You can also spend more and get a ceiling suspended aquarium MH lamp made by Arcadia, or one of the many Chinese brand name including Atman.  In this case, you should know the "standard" guppy tub is only 3 1/2 feet in width (not 4 ft) so that you could maybe find one that can sit on top of the tub instead of having it mounted and hanging down from your ceiling.

PS.  The distributor of Atman MH Lamp is that LFS in AquaFauna... the one with a Marine tank converted from a Jaguar car;  the new Atman MH lamp is very cool looking.

HB

Thanks for the info..that means i need to get at least near to 150w of light to do the job.
I intend to go for a 4ft PL instead of MH light due to the heat problem. Luckily I have your reply, if not I would be using a 2ft PL light liao ohmy.gif ..thanks man
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(stanhong23 @ Thu 22 Jul 2004 02:03 pm)
HB

Thanks for the info..that means i need to get at least near to 150w of light to do the job.
I intend to go for a 4ft PL instead of MH light due to the heat problem. Luckily I have your reply, if not I would be using a 2ft PL light liao  ohmy.gif  ..thanks man

Stop!

Don't get PL lamp for the guppy tub. It's just not strong enough. The intensity will not be enough to penetrate when the water turns slightly intense. It works for small toyogo tub becoz it's placed near the water surface AND only required to cover a small "surface area" only. With a guppy tub, even if you placed it near the water surface, the light dispersion will not be wide enough (unless you use quite a few sets.) I hope you know what I mean.

Next, the replacement cost of PL lamp is high. I had to replace mine once every 6 months or so.

The heat thingy... you'll have to live with it. Just find a well ventilated spot around your house for your setup, or DIY a ventilation duct to channel heat out of your house.
ranchuman
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Thu 22 Jul 2004 03:25 pm)
Stop!

Don't get PL lamp for the guppy tub.  It's just not strong enough.  The intensity will not be enough to penetrate when the water turns slightly intense.  It works for small toyogo tub becoz it's placed near the water surface AND only required to cover a small "surface area" only.  With a guppy tub, even if you placed it near the water surface, the light dispersion will not be wide enough (unless you use quite a few sets.)  I hope you know what I mean.

Next, the replacement cost of PL lamp is high.  I had to replace mine once every 6 months or so.

The heat thingy... you'll have to live with it.  Just find a well ventilated spot around your house for your setup, or DIY a ventilation duct to channel heat out of your house.

HB, so u mean even for a 4ft PL(4x36w) is still not enough simply because the light is not strong enough to penetrate once the water turns green.

haiz..need to re-plan again if MH is the better way out cry.gif
Btw, does MH consume a lots more electricity than PL as I know most of them are not using eballast?
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(stanhong23 @ Fri 23 Jul 2004 11:16 am)
HB, so u mean even for a 4ft PL(4x36w) is still not enough simply because the light is not strong enough to penetrate once the water turns green.

haiz..need to re-plan again if MH is the better way out  cry.gif
Btw, does MH consume a lots more electricity than PL as I know most of them are not using eballast?

Ah yes, that's what I meant, in addition to the fact the PL lamp, positioned low, cannot spread out and cover the entire tub.

I suggest you get a 150 watts MH lamp. Compare that to 36 watts x4, the PL consumes 6 watts less than a MH, BUT it won't be able to perform half as well.
ranchuman
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Sat 24 Jul 2004 06:33 pm)
Ah yes, that's what I meant, in addition to the fact the PL lamp, positioned low, cannot spread out and cover the entire tub.

I suggest you get a 150 watts MH lamp.  Compare that to 36 watts x4, the PL consumes 6 watts less than a MH, BUT it won't be able to perform half as well.

I'll look into that..Thanks for the info smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.