Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How To Create GW Naturally?
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
Panda_ranchu
This new topic is split from here.
----

Thanks HB for the informative & useful tips on creating green water using the artificial method.
But I'm eager to know more of the natural way of creating algae water....
Nothing much is mentioned about this method(ie how many days to get green water,how many hrs of sunlight required?what is the diff.? etc)
Appreciate if some brother could enlighten & share info? tongue.gif
cktan
QUOTE(Panda_ranchu @ Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:22 pm)
But I'm eager to know more of the natural way of creating algae water....
Nothing much is mentioned about this method(ie how many days to get green water,how many hrs of sunlight required?what is the diff.? etc)

I tot the natural way of getting algae water is using light from the Sun? How many hours do u think the Sun comes out each day? How many days to get green depends on yr setup. e.g: How many GFs in how many liters of water. Hehe, i dont hv the chance to use Sun to create my green water, maybe some other Bro here might help u.

I think theres not much difference from using artificial lighting or the sun except sun is more efficient in generating green water. And most importantly, its FREE tongue.gif
Panda_ranchu
Thanks CKtan bro
You see if u refer to the hand out by some Club.It says " to change green water
after 4-5 days???A bit confused here. Is this also applicable to the natural method ??It could take more than 4-5 days to have natural algae water in the first place-depending on weather.Thou this method is cheap(no cost)-FREE but it's a bit tricky for a beginner to get it right as u cannot control the intensity of the lighting.
Therefore u let mother nature takes course.Perhaps has any bro happen to create green water in the first 2-3 days by using the natural way could share some tips?
Another factor is where is the house facing E-W?/the location of the pond,etc could actually expedite or slow down the progress.
nobnoba
Panda Ranchu,
let me try to help you. using sunlight, it is the easiest method to CREATE greenwater from SCRATCH. how? just leave your tank outside for 5 hours of sunlight a day, and you will get greenwater in less than 5 days (depending on sunlight intensity and ammonia in the water, it may be shorter than 5 days)

Why must change greenwater every 4-5 days?
this is referring to greenwater that is already MADE, or we call it SEEDED. so this is not the rule for the firstimer, who just made greenwater from scratch.

Who cares whether the house is facing east or west. this is not fengshui related smile.gif . What matters is how many hours of sunlight are you getting each day. if you get full 12 hours a day, then your greenwater is very fast in getting intensed green. if its just 1 hour a day, well .... i guess you understand.

get it, panda?
cktan
QUOTE(Panda_ranchu @ Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:43 pm)
You see if u refer to the hand out by some Club.It says " to change green water
after 4-5 days???

The club only gives a guideline. It is not a 10 year series model answer. When to change water depends on how "green" yr water is. And that directly depends on the amt of light u receive, the no. of goldfish in yr water, the amt of water u hv and how much u feed a day.

So change water when u think the green is too green. If u can read chinese, go to Popular book shop get a Chinese goldfish book. That is also what they say. Change only when water turns brown or too green or smell funny.

If u r generating green water from scratch. I know most ppl here wont change water till their water turns green. But for me, i still carry out water changes every week as i think the ammonia is really high. But i seed back 50% of the old water. I do it this way and i got green in abt 2 weeks. After u got the green, how much to seed back again depends on the above mention parameters. U dont want to seed too little and end up green water died off. U dont want to seed back too much and ended up within just 2 days the water becomes intense green.
nasi_lemak
Brown water considered green water or not? unsure.gif
cktan
QUOTE(nasi_lemak @ Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:59 pm)

Brown water no good ah. Chinese goldfish book say change 100% if water turns brown. But, let other experience bros here say whether to change 100% or not.
The Matrix
QUOTE(nasi_lemak @ Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:59 pm)

Green = Brown ?

OF COURSE ..... NOT !!!!!
The Matrix
QUOTE(nobnoba @ Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:52 am)
Panda Ranchu,
let me try to help you. using sunlight, it is the easiest method to CREATE greenwater from SCRATCH. how? just leave your tank outside for 5 hours of sunlight a day, and you will get greenwater in less than 5 days (depending on sunlight intensity and ammonia in the water, it may be shorter than 5 days)

Why must change greenwater every 4-5 days?
this is referring to greenwater that is already MADE, or we call it SEEDED. so this is not the rule for the firstimer, who just made greenwater from scratch.

Who cares whether the house is facing east or west. this is not fengshui related  smile.gif . What matters is how many hours of sunlight are you getting each day. if you get full 12 hours a day, then your greenwater is very fast in getting intensed green. if its just 1 hour a day, well .... i guess you understand.

get it, panda?

Absolutely Good ! good_very.gif
Panda_ranchu
Thanks to all brothers for the valuable information. yes.gif One more thing.What about good algae at the sides of the tub/pond?
Should it be cleaned/scrubed completely?Botak???Or should retain some eh?
Any sharing or experience?
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(cktan @ Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:30 pm)
I tot the natural way of getting algae water is using light from the Sun? How many hours do u think the Sun comes out each day? How many days to get green depends on yr setup. e.g: How many GFs in how many liters of water. Hehe, i dont hv the chance to use Sun to create my green water, maybe some other Bro here might help u.

I think theres not much difference from using artificial lighting or the sun except sun is more efficient in generating green water. And most importantly, its FREE  tongue.gif

Sorry I join in this topic late...

Panda... if you don't have a drop of green water now, it will take any where from 7 to 14 days for your water to turn green. It takes so long because, in a sense, you're trying to create something from nothing. After the first cultivation, subsequently your newly changed clear water will turn green as quickly as in half a day when you use some (say 5% of total volume) of the virgin green water to seed the new clear water. Thus it's not unreasonable to change the water every 4-5 days like the Club's handout suggested when the water turned too intensely green.

I said "suggested" because the 4-5 days thingy is only a general guideline. If you tell us your setup (no. of fishes, their sizes, amount/type of feed intended, and of course, the water volume), we should be able to give you a more concrete answer. tongue.gif

Hope that helps.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(nobnoba @ Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:52 am)
Who cares whether the house is facing east or west. this is not fengshui related  smile.gif . What matters is how many hours of sunlight are you getting each day. if you get full 12 hours a day, then your greenwater is very fast in getting intensed green. if its just 1 hour a day, well .... i guess you understand.

tongue.gif

Another way to put it... east or west facing doesn't... so long as there's light, ie, your house is not build underground, you can get green water.

In a sense, having a bangalow is especially good when you can shift your tub depending on its stock load, the weather, your time scheduled for water change etc. Too free, place the tub in the middle of the garden and let the water turn intense in 2 days. Too busy? Place it under the car porch for some shades and change it only once a week.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(cktan @ Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:05 pm)
Brown water no good ah. Chinese goldfish book say change 100% if water turns brown. But, let other experience bros here say whether to change 100% or not.

Green or clear water, always change 100% (well... keep 5% of old green water to use as seed.) Why keep some old clear water? What's the logic? unsure.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(Panda_ranchu @ Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:47 pm)
Thanks to all brothers for the valuable information. yes.gif One more thing.What about good algae at the sides of the tub/pond?
Should it be cleaned/scrubed completely?Botak???Or should retain some eh?
Any sharing or experience?

Botak? Oh boy... how I miss Aeroking. rofl2.gif

I'd clean them simply because it's easier to disinfect a tub by scrubbing it with a hard brush. A clean free of algae tub is also more pleasant to look at. ohmy.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(cktan @ Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:05 pm)

Brown water is an indication your fish is sick; yet another magical properties of green water. happydance1.gif
cktan
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:09 pm)
Brown water is an indication your fish is sick; yet another magical properties of green water.  happydance1.gif

Could be. I hv transfered my three 2" goldfish to a guppy tub filled with 130L of water. Thats way way underload. I hope the green water wont turn brown due to lack of ammonia.
Panda_ranchu
Wow HB lye liao...
Must listen....
You see I keep my ranchus in 2 places.One at the farm(green water) so boh chap liao happydance.gif while the other at home la.The siong thing is, my balcony is exposed to sunlight for less than 2 hrs daily.(how ah? no ten-year series or model answer le..???) cry.gif
Hence creating green water is not so easy unless I want to consider using lighting. cry.gif That's my problem hor?Any alternative bro HB?Save money ma wink.gif Anyway by the third or fourth day I'm able to see some green but by the next must change water liao.Where to find matured green water?
Any advice from bros out there? smile.gif
The Matrix
change 95% leave the rest to seed lor.
Panda_ranchu
Thanks Bro Matrix
To kick start n jump onto the wagon ,can borrow some matured green water from some bro or not?? shiok.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(Panda_ranchu @ Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:58 pm)
Wow HB lye liao...
Must listen....
You see I keep my ranchus in 2 places.One at the farm(green water) so boh chap liao happydance.gif  while the other at home la.The siong thing is, my balcony is exposed to sunlight for less than 2 hrs daily.(how ah? no ten-year series or model answer le..???) cry.gif
Hence creating green water is not so easy unless I want to consider using lighting. cry.gif That's my problem hor?Any alternative bro HB?Save money ma wink.gif Anyway by the third or fourth day I'm able to see some green but by the next must change water liao.Where to find matured green water?
Any advice from bros out there? smile.gif

By "exposed to sunlight for less than 2 hours", do you mean DIRECT sunlight, or other time your balcony is pitch dark as if it's night time?

Can you place a mirror to reflect the sunlight? biggrin.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(Panda_ranchu @ Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:17 am)
Thanks Bro Matrix
To kick start n jump onto the wagon ,can borrow some matured green water from some bro or not?? shiok.gif

Two reasons why getting matured green water are not a good idea.

1) If you can't cultivate from scratch, then your setup is not suitable to sustain green water. So getting matured green water from others won't work.

2) Most importantly, diseases from someone else's fish can spread to yours. mad.gif

If not for the above reasons, unscrupulous LFS would be selling green water like marine shops selling sea water leow. rofl2.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Tue, 31 Aug 2004 06:53 am)
Two reasons why getting matured green water are not a good idea.
1)  If you can't cultivate from scratch, then your setup is not suitable to sustain green water.  So getting matured green water from others won't work.

2)  Most importantly, diseases from someone else's fish can spread to yours.  mad.gif

CORRECT !!!

If not for the above reasons, unscrupulous LFS would be selling green water like marine shops selling sea water leow.  rofl2.gif

swee.gif

Lelong, Green water 1.5L 1 bucks ... erh ... sea water slightly more complex leh.
desireless
Please continue with OUTDOOR (natural) green water cultivation here.
FiErY_ICe
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, in fact I just registered a few minutes ago! As to the goldfish hobby, I also a beginner with only 3-4 mths of experience.. so I have much to learn from all here... Hmm... about Green water cultivation, since the theory is such that as long as there is a body of water, ammonia and a form of light energy(i.e. sunlight or artificial lighting), algae will grow right? Cos i rem when i was really young, I used to keep this fighting fish is this real small bowl (yeah I know now tis is quite cruel to the fish knowing about ammonia poisoning and all that now), but the point is, I keep this 'bowl' in a place with indirect sunlight and still after a few weeks the water gets green. So what I'm trying to say is, as long got 1. Water 2. Ammonia and 3. Sunlight/Artificial Lighting and I will eventually get green water? So, if this theory is correct, is it possible if I get a transparent cup of water, put in some sort of substance which will decay and produce ammonia (i.e. market prawn, goldfish waste) and place this cup of water under the sunlight everyday, will green water be achieveable? If its successful, I can then use this cup of green water to seed my fish tank? Hmm... smth to experiment with when I have the time... Btw, has anyone tried this kind of 'lazy' method before? Thanks to all for your time in reading and forgive me if I mentioned anything stupid and hope all will guide me to better goldfish keeping!
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(FiErY_ICe @ Fri, 24 Sep 2004 1:18 am)

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, in fact I just registered a few minutes ago! As to the goldfish hobby, I also a beginner with only....

Welcome to RG!

Your theory is correct. Just make sure you replenish the substances to ensure a continuous supply of ammonia after old ones are taken up by emerging algae.

You'll want to read up this topic on how to cultivate green water without using any fish:-

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=693

Also do make sure your intended setup to keep green water (after seeding it with virgin green water you cultivated separately) is able to sustain it.
nobnoba
fiery ice,
in fact i had tried that experiment before. i took an empty mayonaise jar, pour water from goldfish tank, put in lots of poos and just put them under direct sunlight.

after few days green shows up, BUT its not scattered. in fact its look like cloud in that jar. i guess this is due to the fact that the water wasnt moving at all. it looks like green cotton in the water.
Allan
QUOTE(nobnoba @ Fri, 24 Sep 2004 3:27 pm)
after few days green shows up, BUT its not scattered. in fact its look like cloud in that jar. i guess this is due to the fact that the water wasnt moving at all. it looks like green cotton in the water.

The rotting waste are fermenting due to the lack of aeration. It's important to aerate the water even when there's no fish. Also, don't forget algae takes in dissolved oxygen at night. Therefore even if the wastes are fully decomposed and not fermenting, the algae will suffocate and die off due to the a lack of dissolved oxygen.

Cheers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.