Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Genetic Of Split Tail
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
dark eyes
Hi,
At first I'm a nut regarding goldfish genetics, that's why I ask this question. Could someone tell me the genetic of this split tail of many fancy goldfishes? I'm interested in the genetic of the tail where the upper part of the caudal is normal and the lower part is spilt into two parts (so it looks like a Y but upside down). Is it autosomal or sex-linked, recessive or dominant?
I had such a fish once in my pond but never got any offspring with such a tail. BTW, this trait is not very common among the normal goldfishes which you can find here in Germany.

best regards

Robert
CyberET
selective breeding.. the never ending battle against nature
The Matrix
QUOTE(dark eyes @ Sat, 04 Sep 2004 05:53 am)
Hi,
At first I'm a nut regarding goldfish genetics, that's why I ask this question. Could someone tell me the genetic of this split tail of many fancy goldfishes? I'm interested in the genetic of the tail where the upper part of the caudal is normal and the lower part is spilt into two parts (so it looks like a Y but upside down). Is it autosomal or sex-linked, recessive or dominant?
I had such a fish once in my pond but never got any offspring with such a tail. BTW, this trait is not very common among the normal goldfishes which you can find here in Germany.

best regards

Robert

upper part normal and lower part split ??? U are talking about the upper part of the both caudal are joined ?

It depends on selective breeding. Not easy to understand if u do not know the parentage of this fish.
dark eyes
Thanks for your answers.
OK I will try my luck and perhaps I can find this trait again among my fishes. BTW I didn't spoke about a double tail but about a single tail where the lower part of the caudal consists of two parts, so that it looks like the letter "Y" upside down if you see it from behind. I'm sorry that I can't show you any picture of it.

best regards

Robert
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.