Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oranda Growth?
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
dark angel
do anyone know about the average growth for oranda? How do I know which are "stunt" type??
mountain
Some breeds can grow fairly huge, i have one which grown from a cool 2 inch to abt 6 inch body..

As for stunt identifications, one method is by the size portion of the eyes in relations to the head size. You can find quite a few threads of stunt fish identifications.

here's a good thread with pictures!! by olddog

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.ph...owtopic=945&hl=
dark angel
Hi mountain,

thank for the reply. I have been keeping my orandas for three months now but I do not think they have grew much at all. I can only afford to have two 2ft "five plan" tank as my space are limited. After reading from the forum, I think I can only have one oranda in each 2ft tank for max growth.

If this is the case, now I have to give up my three gold oranda. (one 2" and 2 1")
Anyone interested to adopt the orandas? Or can I return to the shop?

cheers
CyberET
don't bother so much about optimum growth, its very difficult for one to achieve that in a house enviroment, just concentrate on keeping them in good health would be good enough smile.gif
a 2ft tank has 59litres, which is roughly recommended for a single fish
u could raise the 2" in one tank, and the 2 1" in another tank smile.gif

what kinda filtration r u using?
dark angel
I am presently using two HOB filters and a Jebao canister on standby. Do a 10% water change every other day and a 30% change on sunday. My orandas are healthy and kicking but really have to give up three of them and keep only 2 red cap orandas in my 2ft tanks. There are very high 2ft all glass tank selling near my place... should I get it?

thank you.
square_guy
QUOTE(dark angel @ Fri, 24 Sep 2004 3:17 pm)
I am presently using two HOB filters and a Jebao canister on standby. Do a 10%  water change every other day and a 30% change on sunday. My orandas are healthy and kicking but really have to give up three of them and keep only 2 red cap orandas in my 2ft tanks. There are very high 2ft all glass tank selling near my place... should I get it?

thank you.

ever check the nitrate level of your water?
dark angel
pardon me... i have not use any kit before... will get it tomr after work and do the test straight away. I am also going to check for a bigger tank but the lenght can only be 2ft. I do have a stand for two 2ft tank, so was planning to get a higher 2ft lenght tank. I did a mistake by listening to an old man at the shop to get 6 orandas in my2ft tank...actually asking me to get nine orandas. sad.gif

After reading from the forum then I knew that I was way wrong on keeping the orandas. Lost one red cap from choking face on to the filter water inlet while away for a day... cry.gif

I am learning as much as I can to properly keep the orandas. Thank you all for the advice. smile.gif
dark angel
just did a nitrate test and the reading is 0 mg/l. Found a LFS who is willing to take my three orandas, so going to settled it by tomr morning.
Allan
QUOTE(dark angel @ Sat, 25 Sep 2004 9:01 pm)
just did a nitrate test and the reading is 0 mg/l. Found a LFS who is willing to take my three orandas, so going to settled it by tomr morning.

Hello,

Unless you have just changed all the water in your tank, having nil nitrate is quite impossible. I therefore think you probably didn't run the test correctly or have a expired kit. Do double check.

Cheers.
dark angel
Oh I see... bought a SERA Nitrate Test kit with expiry date at 09 2007. Try again now. Cheers.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(Allan @ Sat, 25 Sep 2004 9:10 pm)
Unless you have just changed all the water in your tank, having nil nitrate is quite impossible.  I therefore think you probably didn't run the test correctly or have a expired kit.  Do double check.

It's possible to have zero nitrate in the following situations that I can think of now:-

1. The bio-filter is new and so does not have any BB.
2. In green water.
3. The matured bio-filtration's BB colony was destroyed.
dark angel
okie dokie... the reading is 5 mg/l... did a 10% water change this morning and I also have three live plants in the tank.
dark angel
I have two HOB filter...one old and one new... three live plants...have some pebbles since day one and I also use NUTRAFIN Biological Aquarium Supplement from C328. sad.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(dark angel @ Fri, 24 Sep 2004 3:04 pm)
Hi mountain,

thank for the reply. I have been keeping my orandas for three months now but I do not think they have grew much at all. I can only afford to have two 2ft "five plan" tank as my space are limited. After reading from the forum, I think I can only have one oranda in each 2ft tank for max growth.

If this is the case, now I have to give up my three gold oranda. (one 2" and 2 1")
Anyone interested to adopt the orandas? Or can I return to the shop?

cheers

Hi Angel

Generally speaking I understand Oranda is one of the fastest growing variety of goldfish. My own experience with them supported this view. However, I should mention I find those Malaysian oranda (with short rounded body, usually in red/white and has relatively large headgrowth for their small size) don't grow as quickly or as large. I don't know if your oranda belongs to the Malaysian variety. Any pics?

I have a chinese oranda that was about the same size as a ranchu I bought at the same time. Keeping them and two other ranchus in a 4 ft tank, it very quickly outgrew everyone else. But growth slowed noticably after a while and I was told the tank was too small for it.

IPB Image

I gave it away to a keeper with a large pond... and sure enough, it grew again. Amazing.

I'm trying to say it may not be a bad idea to look at other goldfish to keep if you are limited to a 2 feet tank.

If you're not aware of, a 2 year old Oranda named Bruce holds the Guinness World Record as the largest goldfish.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/conten...?recordid=57554
dark angel
hi

i do have a lousy shot pic of my oranda with my hp. There you go. Thank you.

IPB Image
dark angel
I have two red cap oranda and three golden orandas. One of the red cap is growing nicely but th smaller one has a small body but the head growth are hugh. I have to settled the three golden orandas first then look for other solution for the two red cap. Will the water pressure be too high for those high 2ft length tank??
dark angel
For your info,

bring the three orandas to the LSF for better care. Next is to look for fish tub for my two red caps, much better than my 2ft tanks. sad.gif

Thank you all for the advice and concern. Have a nice sunday and good health. Cheers. good_very.gif
nobnoba
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Sat, 25 Sep 2004 8:36 pm)
Hi Angel

Generally speaking I understand Oranda is one of the fastest growing variety of goldfish.  My own experience with them supported this view.  However, I should mention I find those Malaysian oranda (with short rounded body, usually in red/white and has relatively large headgrowth for their small size) don't grow as quickly or as large.  I don't know if your oranda belongs to the Malaysian variety.  Any pics?

I have a chinese oranda that was about the same size as a ranchu I bought at the same time.  Keeping them and two other ranchus in a 4 ft tank, it very quickly outgrew everyone else.  But growth slowed noticably after a while and I was told the tank was too small for it.

I gave it away to a keeper with a large pond... and sure enough, it grew again.  Amazing.

I'm trying to say it may not be a bad idea to look at other goldfish to keep if you are limited to a 2 feet tank.

If you're not aware of, a 2 year old Oranda named Bruce holds the Guinness World Record as the largest goldfish.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/conten...?recordid=57554

I would like to follow up your comment. i have the same experience as you. previously i kept 2 ranchus (maybe 10 cm) in a 60 liters tank. both seems to be 'stuck' in size wise, until i bought a 300 liters tub. i put them in there, with same feeding frequency, same feeds the fish grew noticably after 3 weeks. and after 1.5 months, it had grown considerably.
so, if anyone like big big fish, try to put them in bigger space tank.

as a sidenote, is there anyone here who like small fish? maybe 8-10 cm? personally i think Oranda 8-10 cm is cute, but once they grow to 20 cm, they lose their cuteness. anyone feel this? or am i the only one.

recently there is a fish competition in my country, they show jumbo oranda. about a foot long! dang,... i aint interested anymore.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(nobnoba @ Mon, 27 Sep 2004 1:39 pm)
as a sidenote, is there anyone here who like small fish? maybe 8-10 cm? personally i think Oranda 8-10 cm is cute, but once they grow to 20 cm, they lose their cuteness. anyone feel this? or am i the only one.

recently there is a fish competition in my country, they show jumbo oranda. about a foot long! dang,... i aint interested anymore.

Me me me. I like to buy small fish. But unlike you, I expect them to grow big; I ain't into bonsai. tongue.gif

Why small fish? It's rewarding for me to see a fish grows. This is very obvious when the fish grew from a small young fish to adult size. Compare that to buying "ready-made" adult fish, the satisfaction level just don't compare. The only problem is small young fishes on sale are usually culls. If you're lucky, you may get something that is slightly better than a cull. So how? Try your luck breeding your own. Out of the hundreds or thousands of fries, you might get one or two good ones. It's expensive (live food bill is high) but don't forget I enjoy watching fish grow and fries grow really really fast. tongue.gif
top_view_ranchu
QUOTE(nobnoba @ Mon, 27 Sep 2004 1:39 pm)
I would like to follow up your comment. i have the same experience as you. previously i kept 2 ranchus (maybe 10 cm) in a 60 liters tank. both seems to be 'stuck' in size wise, until i bought a 300 liters tub. i put them in there, with same feeding frequency, same feeds the fish grew noticably after 3 weeks. and after 1.5 months, it had grown considerably.
so, if anyone like big big fish, try to put them in bigger space tank.

Hi HB,
I'll recommend stunt fish for you!
Eye big big somemore, very very cute leh! tongue.gif
Save the trouble fish shopping! You ask here for stunt fish, sure many reply and save vacumm trouble as well!
FiErY_ICe
jus have some things to clarify, does nitrate levels play a part in stunting a fish's growth? And what is the usual way of measuring a fish, from tail-head or jus frm where the tail starts to the head?
CyberET
yes, normally i measure tip of head to tip of tail
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.