Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to tell the age of a goldfish
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
The Matrix
QUOTE(steffie @ Thu, 16 Sep 2004 11:48 pm)
And how do you know how old is the goldfish, by telling it from their size without taking off a scale and count the rings on the scale with a good mircoscope?

How big is 1 yr old goldfish? how about 2 yrs / 3 yrs old?

You can't tell the age of a goldfish, however, most can only be a guessing game.

As for scale rings, it also depends on the method of keeping.

Depends on varieties, a common goldfish can grow up to 9" within 365 days.
Certain form of wen yu can hit 8-10". However, after that size, it will slow down drastically.

Ryukins and ranchu are slightly slower. Probably around 6" body size within a year and slow to add another 2-3" on next year.

Bubbles eyes, celestial can hit up to 8" within months.
Pearls around 5-6" and could continue to grow to a massive 10". Certain pearl scale like the traditional and short tail will take months to grow an inch.

Certain newer varieties of fanciful goldfish might not have any growth potential. There are over 300+++ varieties, it's not going to be easy to say which variety grow to wat size. It all depends on the keeping methology.
Panda_ranchu
I do agree with Matrix that apart from the method used to raise goldfish,green water is a must for head growth & color.No need to feed xpensive food.(Sorry if I offended bros who do so)Just Hikari pellet & bloodworm.This is what the grand master of JR is doing. laugh.gif
The next thing would be the genes(parents)..some grow faster & some slower.
Ever wonder why gfs from Thailand grow up faster n bigger than goldfish from Japan???
Probably due to the 4 season(Jap) or climax?Grow faster means age faster lor cry.gif
top_view_ranchu
QUOTE(Panda_ranchu @ Fri, 24 Sep 2004 8:37 pm)
I do agree with Matrix that apart from the method used to raise goldfish,green water is a must for head growth & color.No need to feed xpensive food.(Sorry if I offended bros who do so)Just Hikari pellet & bloodworm.This is what the grand master of JR is doing. laugh.gif
The next thing would be the genes(parents)..some grow faster & some slower.
Ever wonder why gfs from Thailand grow up faster n bigger than goldfish from Japan???
Probably due to the 4 season(Jap) or climax?Grow faster means age faster lor cry.gif

Thai fish grow faster than Jap! I dont agree! hmm.gif
Please support your claim!
CP
QUOTE(Panda_ranchu @ Fri, 24 Sep 2004 8:37 pm)

I presume you meant climate wink.gif
Panda_ranchu
QUOTE(top_view_ranchu @ Fri, 24 Sep 2004 8:43 pm)

I experienced it myself.And the same is true also with some my kakis.(4 sharing purpose)only.That is why I'm asking this same question.I do not profess that I'm a master in goldfish rearing(smell no smoke happydance.gif ) thus I cannot support my claim. beg2.gif This is solely based on xperience lor.No model answer le blush.gif

But again it would depend very much on the genes of the parent fish at which the rate of the fish is growing.Being stunt is another problem.
top_view_ranchu
QUOTE(Panda_ranchu @ Fri, 24 Sep 2004 9:05 pm)
I experienced it myself.And the same is true also with some my kakis.(4 sharing purpose)only.That is why I'm asking this same question.I do not profess that I'm a master in goldfish rearing(smell no smoke happydance.gif ) thus I cannot support my claim. beg2.gif This is solely based on xperience lor.No model answer le blush.gif

But again it would depend very much on the genes of the parent fish at which the rate of the fish is growing.Being stunt is another problem.

I do agree its both nature and nurture! yes.gif
My Japs Tosai are about the same sizes as those in Japan. I don't think climate makes difference!
Panda_ranchu
QUOTE(top_view_ranchu @ Fri, 24 Sep 2004 9:17 pm)
I do agree its both nature and nurture! yes.gif
My Japs Tosai are about the same sizes as those in Japan. I don't think climate makes difference!

Thanks bro typo error...hehehe anti climaXXX la.

Yes I think the 2 important things to raise a goldfish to its full potential would be-
diet(pellets n bloodworms,NO flakes)& green water.It's that simple.Just look at how the Japs do it.green water,sunlight,aeration & diet (pellets n bloodworms)No fancy toys or any kinky stuff in the water... good_very.gif
CyberET
climate does make a difference
top_view_ranchu
QUOTE(CyberET @ Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:14 pm)
climate does make a difference

Bro,
Please elaborate.
Thanks!
CyberET
QUOTE(top_view_ranchu @ Sat, 25 Sep 2004 2:06 am)
Bro,
Please elaborate.
Thanks!

goldfish is a cold blooded species
cktan
QUOTE(top_view_ranchu @ Fri, 24 Sep 2004 8:43 pm)

I think its logic that Thai goldfish grow faster than Jap. During winter period in Jap, the goldfish dont eat and are in dormant. So they dont grow during this period of time. While those in Thai never go into dormant stage and always in growth stage.

Of course ultimately, they will reach the same growth size whether in Jap or Thailand or Spore or China (assuming same goldfish genes).
The Matrix
QUOTE(top_view_ranchu @ Sat, 25 Sep 2004 2:06 am)
Bro,
Please elaborate.
Thanks!

Dave, climate does make a diff. If talking about growth, there are too many factors involved. Get back to see your fish .... kekekeke ...
top_view_ranchu
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Sun, 26 Sep 2004 11:37 pm)
Dave, climate does make a diff. If talking about growth, there are too many factors involved. Get back to see your fish .... kekekeke ...

Thanks Bro,
Want to give a few more tips?

Thanks in advance! rolleyes.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(top_view_ranchu @ Mon, 27 Sep 2004 7:25 pm)
Thanks Bro,
Want to give a few more tips?

Thanks in advance! rolleyes.gif

by now, everyone knows aga-aga how to see a stunt fish. Those might grow, but little.

a lot depends on experience to judge during buying of fish. Of course, the main factors still depends on how one control the water, space and food. A fish cannot grow well and many hobbyists just threw the fault on the fish, instead of himself.

Remember how u first started here and how u fair yourself right now ? Give it a thought and u will know what I meant ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.