Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Green Water Turns White In Color
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
goldie
Hi bros, can anyone tell me what is the problem?

I've managed to brew green water in my toyogo tub. After getting the intense green color for abt 7 days, I did a water change and seed abt 10% of the green water and added anti chlorine crystals and baking soda into the new water. However, the next day the whole tub water turns white and the fishes and stressed out!

May I know What's the possible cause? Overdose of baking soda?

Tks.
Seacucumber
white?? as in milky white?? or clear??
cktan
I know baking soda has an expiry date to it. Wonder if one can continue using it even after it expires for half a year? Im currently using the baking soda which i believe has long expired. So far dont hv any problems.
goldie
(bro g-string) - Yes, the whole tub water turned milky white. What hapeen huh?
HappyBuddha
I've not experience such but like you suspected too it's probably the expired baking soda. ohmy.gif

green water becomes brown if your fish is sick. Otherwise it usually stays green even when the algae died. ohmy.gif

Turning white is extraordinary.
goldie
Thanks HB. Yeah, maybe my baking soda has expired. Will try out using new BS and se how it turns out again.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(goldie @ Thu, 07 Oct 2004 5:08 pm)
Thanks HB. Yeah, maybe my baking soda has expired. Will try out using new BS and se how it turns out again.

I normally buy BS in bulk size from Phoon Huat @ Sims Place (their "main" branch).

I suspect my last bottle is expired, however. A friend has bought it for me at Phoon Huat's AMK branch. They didn't have the 5KG pack but the 500g bottle only. The 1st time I dose it, I find it strange that the BS didn't dissolve readily. I actually need to stir to blend which is strange as all previous BS I had dissolve before they reach the tank's floor. I could only blame an expired (or near expiring) BS.

To play it safe, I went back to Sims Place and gotten a new bottle. These dissolves instantly like it should.

Go figure.

Read the following thread on BS:-

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.ph...7&hl=phoon+huat
goldie
Jialuck liao lah. Mine confirmed must be expired one cos like what u said, it takes a bit of time to dissolve. Arigato bro HB.
cktan
QUOTE(goldie @ Thu, 07 Oct 2004 5:30 pm)
Jialuck liao lah. Mine confirmed must be expired one cos like what u said, it takes a bit of time to dissolve. Arigato bro HB.

Mine long expired but im still using and no problems leh. rusure.gif
Some of them hv even harden to become a lump. I simply break them apart before puting them in the water. I think impt thing is not to let the unused powder come into contact with water.
desireless
QUOTE(cktan @ Thu, 07 Oct 2004 11:40 pm)
Mine long expired but im still using and no problems leh.  rusure.gif
Some of them hv even harden to become a lump. I simply break them apart before puting them in the water. I think impt thing is not to let the unused powder come into contact with water.

Aiyoh... give you expiry date sure got reason one.

Besides, baking powder cheap cheap nia mah. Some more it is an essential thing to add during WC, just like your de-chlorinator. So there is more than enough reasons to get new bottle if your bottle expired liao.
The Matrix
QUOTE(goldie @ Mon, 04 Oct 2004 5:24 pm)
Hi bros, can anyone tell me what is the problem?

I've managed to brew green water in my toyogo tub. After getting the intense green color for abt 7 days, I did a water change and seed abt 10% of the green water and added anti chlorine crystals and baking soda into the new water. However, the next day the whole tub water turns white and the fishes and stressed out!

May I know What's the possible cause? Overdose of baking soda?

Tks.

hmmmmm so is expired baking soda a cause of this problem ?
goldie
Dunno leh. Gave some of the BS to my bros. They have not complain leh!
Still scratching my head blush.gif Imagine the airstone also turn white overnight.
Like in those sword-fighting plays, overnite turned bai fa mo nui. hehehe
cktan
QUOTE(desireless @ Fri, 08 Oct 2004 2:27 am)
Aiyoh... give you expiry date sure got reason one.

Besides, baking powder cheap cheap nia mah. Some more it is an essential thing to add during WC, just like your de-chlorinator. So there is more than enough reasons to get new bottle if your bottle expired liao.

Expiry date sure got reason. Human cannot eat mah. But fish shouldnt be a problem. I understand that fishes dont drink water except those salt water fishes. So wats the problem even if the powder expire?
desireless
QUOTE(cktan @ Fri, 08 Oct 2004 7:57 pm)
Expiry date sure got reason. Human cannot eat mah. But fish shouldnt be a problem. I understand that fishes dont drink water except those salt water fishes. So wats the problem even if the powder expire?

What?!?! ohmy.gif Who told you that that baking soda is for fish to eat one? What is the purpose of you adding baking soda in the first place... Do you actually know?

When Food expires, it can still be eaten ... but how sure are you that you won't get stomachache?

When Condom expires, it still can be worn... but how sure are you that the rubber won't break halfway?

When Sodium Bicarbonate expires, it can still be added to water... but how sure are you that it hasn't lost it's buffering effect?

Do I need to give more examples? rofl.gif
cktan
Thats wat i mean. THe expiry date is meant for HUMAN to "see" only. If one is using baking soda for fish, one might need not bother with the expiry date.

U want to be sure whether expired baking soda still hv buffering effect? No problem, i will measure KH tonight using that long expired powder just for your sake smile.gif
desireless
QUOTE(cktan @ Sat, 09 Oct 2004 1:40 pm)
Thats wat i mean. THe expiry date is meant for HUMAN to "see" only. If one is using baking soda for fish, one might need not bother with the expiry date.

U want to be sure whether expired baking soda still hv buffering effect? No problem, i will measure KH tonight using that long expired powder just for your  sake smile.gif

If you cannot be sure in the first place, please do not mislead readers on the effectiveness of EXPIRED baking soda. To be on the safe side, I would advise throwing away the expired one and spending a mere few bucks for buying new one.

You do not need to test for KH so frequently, if you are using WORKING BS. I always use 2g to bring 20litres of water to 5-6dKH. Even after 6 weeks, the test result is still remains the same. This gauge would be lost if the BS is defective such that it yield different result for same amount added. You'll never know if you're adding enough. I would believe that expired BS can still increase KH. But how much more do you need to add compared to non-expired one? It will not be smart if you have to test KH for every WC to gauge the correct amount of BS to add.
mountain
Goldie needs help why it changes to white.
based on his information: Most of us thinks its the expired Baking Soda.

While tat might not have been the cause, but we are still concern as to advise against using items that are expired as the act itself carries risk. I certainly dun see anyone here would buy a 2 years expired BS and used it as a buffer for your fish smile.gif
cktan
QUOTE(desireless @ Sat, 09 Oct 2004 6:54 pm)
If you cannot be sure in the first place, please do not mislead readers on the effectiveness of EXPIRED baking soda. To be on the safe side, I would advise throwing away the expired one and spending a mere few bucks for buying new one.

All im trying to say is: im using expired baking soda and i didnt face any problem like water turning white.

Trying not to let ppl conclude that "using expired baking soda is the cause of water turning white".
The Matrix
Si mi taiji ...

Whoever think or having "expired" baking soda and feel like discarding the wonder powder, please consolidate and bring to the next RG Live ...

I will take over, provided FOC hor ... wah liao eh ...

goldie, so how ? your water still cloudy white ?
goldie
Sorry lah, reply so late. Seldom on line.

So far, problem ok liao after complete water change. Didn't add baking soda though. Gotta wait a while cos getting new baking soda. Will update after that.

Cheers
Melvyn
QUOTE(cktan @ Sat, 09 Oct 2004 1:40 pm)

U want to be sure whether expired baking soda still hv buffering effect? No problem, i will measure KH tonight using that long expired powder just for your  sake smile.gif

===================================================

Hi there.

Based on our experience.
Your problem should be overdosed of chlorine.

Do not use what baking soda....
exp. or no expiry....

Try using yr. anti-chlorine crystal only.
Add half of your normal amount you have been throwing in,and see the effect again.
If problem arises again,throw away everything and re-buy.

Cannot be everything got problem!!

Anyway good luck to you.
mountain
QUOTE(Melvyn @ Wed, 20 Oct 2004 9:42 pm)

Do not use what baking soda....
exp. or no expiry....

why not use what baking soda lei??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.