Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice on Filter and Air Pump
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
TeD
Just got a 80l tank and i need some filtartion! Just rearing some common gold fishes, around 6(2inch), i know it's abit cramp, I have to forgo sponge filter where many exp guys here would higher reccommend , could I have the 2nd best options beside the spong filters, please feel free to comment.

Believe some of the options as follow
1) OHF
2) Eheim Ecco 2331

peace.gif need some comments... Thanks alot!
mountain
if you have not bought any of the OHF or Eheim Ecco 2331, go buy a sponge filter..
if you had .. then use the OHF because you need frequent cleaning. OHF makes water changing easier .. i think . i have never used an Eheim before
CP
Whats the capacity of the ecco?
You should not exceed 320 l/hr otherwise the current in your tank will be too strong.
jhansolo
maybe you should seriously consider the media you put inside the OHF and ecco. I was almost going to buy an Ecco when I restarted earlier this year ... now I have 2 of the classic.

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.ph...pic=518&hl=ecco

I do have sponge filter as from my experience it is the fastest to cycle... Do reconsider sponge filter.

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.ph...owtopic=830&hl=

cheers
Allan
Any form of bio-filtration will work as long as you aren't grooming but keeping your goldfish as ornaments.

I don't know which OHF you have in mind but unless it's designed and manufacturered in Germany, I'd definitely go for the Ehiem because it's cool looking, operates quietly, reliable and expensive.

Btw, it's Ecco 2231 (not 2331): http://www.eheim.com/ecco-2.html
dOlBy
Hi have been using eheim classic 2213, I find that cannister filter is not ideal for goldfish. The amount of poo they produce will choke up your cannister much faster and that mean frequency of cleaning is higher. By the way, cleaning cannister is such a chore especially you need to remove a few layers before you can clean the poo which is at the lowest layer.

I'm switching to just OHF & sponge. OHF cleaning is so much easier.
Allan
QUOTE(dOlBy @ Tue, 14 Dec 2004 3:43 pm)

Hold on to your purchase of an OHF and just use a few sponge filters first.

You may be surprised how well they work by themselves; yeah... large chunks of poos can vanish magically and mechanical filtration via an OHF may not be necessary.
jhansolo
QUOTE(dOlBy @ Tue, 14 Dec 2004 3:43 pm)
Hi have been using eheim classic 2213, I find that cannister filter is not ideal for goldfish. The amount of poo they produce will choke up your cannister much faster and that mean frequency of cleaning is higher. By the way, cleaning cannister is such a chore especially you need to remove a few layers before you can clean the poo which is at the lowest layer.

I have been using 2213 since March. I find cleaning in terms of back flush is simple which I do monthly. As for a few layers? 2213 comes with a media holder, I'm puzzled by what you mean. Anyway last week I did clean it up, take out the whole media holder, change the wool to a new one, dunk with tank water in pail. Done in 20 minutes, that is for 9 months.

I agree with Allan for the sponge filter, you will be amazed, simple "technology" amazing result.
desireless
Wow! 9 months! beg2.gif

So it is Sponge Filter plus 2213 that you're using in your setup? And you change the wool after 9 months of use? COOL! good.gif

I stop using canister once I started sponge filters. But then again... my filter tank is currently dry and clean tongue.gif
jhansolo
QUOTE(desireless @ Tue, 14 Dec 2004 5:02 pm)
Wow! 9 months!  beg2.gif

So it is Sponge Filter plus 2213 that you're using in your setup? And you change the wool after 9 months of use? COOL!  good.gif

I stop using canister once I started sponge filters. But then again... my filter tank is currently dry and clean  tongue.gif

I better explain a little more ... 2213 is prefiltered with an internal filter filled with coral chips, so it function as bio filtration only. The wool is dirty like hell after 9 months, but it is out of sight and sense(smell).

Yes I use sponge filter and Eheim Liberty as my mech filter.
TeD
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Tue, 14 Dec 2004 5:10 pm)
I better explain a little more ... 2213 is prefiltered with an internal filter filled with coral chips, so it function as bio filtration only.  The wool is dirty like hell after 9 months, but it is out of sight and sense(smell).

Yes I use sponge filter and Eheim Liberty as my mech filter.

Using this right? can I have some pics to see, thanks!
TeD
Tom Dive Clean 85B - My prefilter for Eheim 2213, the secret of less maintenance for my 2213 and my prime assist
TeD
Which series tpo get for my tank? Any advise from the exp guys here?
dOlBy
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Tue, 14 Dec 2004 4:46 pm)
I have been using 2213 since March.  I find cleaning in terms of back flush is simple which I do monthly.  As for a few layers? 2213 comes with a media holder, I'm puzzled by what you mean.  Anyway last week I did clean it up, take out the whole media holder, change the wool to a new one, dunk with tank water in pail.  Done in 20 minutes, that is for 9 months.

I agree with Allan for the sponge filter, you will be amazed, simple "technology" amazing result.

I'm using the 2213 with ehfi mech & ehfi substract, to get it clean got to take out the top fine filter + ehfi substract + blue coarse filter in order to reach the ehfi mech, so it is quite a chore for me. I did tried using the back flush way but still got quite abit of poo stuck in the ehfi mech lor.
TeD
QUOTE(TeD @ Tue, 14 Dec 2004 8:04 pm)
Which series tpo get for my tank? Any advise from the exp guys here?

I mean which Pump would suits my tank?

Rena Air Pump
dOlBy
QUOTE(TeD @ Wed, 15 Dec 2004 1:03 am)

Rena Air Pump

I own a rena 100 to me quite ok for 2 sponges, but if you want real strong get rena 200 it should help to disintegrate the sai faster. yes.gif
TeD
What own be a good price to get it at? IF i make a tall tower just like HB, would tat do? 2 would take up alot of my floor space.
TeD
Sorry to add on. Can the power of the pump be control? Or I had to buy the stainless stell connector?
Allan
QUOTE(TeD @ Wed, 15 Dec 2004 1:03 am)

Rena Air Pump

Rena makes one of the best air pumps around but for outstanding performance and value, get a Shiruba instead.

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.ph...findpost&p=8258
mountain
QUOTE(TeD @ Wed, 15 Dec 2004 2:17 am)
Sorry to add on. Can the power of the pump be control? Or I had to buy the stainless stell connector?

Shiruba pumps have lo-med-hi. for 1 sponge filter.. a Lo setting is already damn good enuff. YEs, its always advisable to have a stainless stell connector so that you can control the aeration for various purpose. (i.e. feeding fbw time!!)
TeD
Rena have?
jhansolo
QUOTE(TeD @ Tue, 14 Dec 2004 6:17 pm)
Tom Dive Clean 85B - My prefilter for Eheim 2213, the secret of less maintenance for my 2213 and my prime assist

I fill the tom dive clean 85B with coral chips and the outlet is connected to Eheim 2213 inlet and the outlet of 2213 goes to the rainbar on the opposite side of the tank. As prime assist when I disconnect the inlet to do a back flush, then use 85B to push water into 2213, once primed (filled with water) the 2213 will be turned on and take over.

As for Rena air pump go for the 200 it have a control build in.
TeD
Sorry , any link pic to show the TOM products, thanks alot!!!!
dOlBy
bro, If using 4 sponges, which model of rena pump is good enough? rena 300 or 400?

Sorry ted to hijack you thread.
jhansolo
QUOTE(TeD @ Thu, 16 Dec 2004 2:04 am)
Sorry , any link pic to show the TOM products, thanks alot!!!!

http://www.oscarent.com/

Look under filter / filter media and you can see dive clean, click on that.
dOlBy
I bought a rena 300 last wk & found that it is not powerful enough went back to the shop & luckily i was able to exchange for something else.

Shiruba still the best so far for me.

So Ted, you may want to get a Shiruba.
desireless
I am a keen supporter of Shiruba. At this time, after one yr plus I bought my first one, it is still working like new. good_very.gif

BTW, there is a AC/DC shiruba pump. But the last time Mrchoco and me saw was $168 per set. ohmy.gif
jhansolo
QUOTE(dOlBy @ Wed, 22 Dec 2004 4:07 pm)
I bought a rena 300 last wk & found that it is not powerful enough went back to the shop & luckily i was able to exchange for something else.

Shiruba still the best so far for me.

I just got a Shiruba ... as a former user of Rena, Shiruba is noisy even at low ... mid pitch humming noise.

In terms of power, yes it is certainly more powerful than Rena 200. I'm going to switch back to Rena 200 when my sump is settled.

To power 4 sponge you should get the Rena 400. Rena 300 is not cost effective in my opinion.
infocus
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:26 am)
I just got a Shiruba ... as a former user of Rena, Shiruba is noisy even at low ... mid pitch humming noise.

In terms of power, yes it is certainly more powerful than Rena 200.  I'm going to switch back to Rena 200 when my sump is settled.

To power 4 sponge you should get the Rena 400.  Rena 300 is not cost effective in my opinion.

Ya, Rena air pump is real quiet. good_very.gif I just bought a Rena 200 and had been using it for a week now. Good air pump I find. But for more power, go for Rena 400. I'll get it if I change to a bigger tank.
TeD
how much for a rena 200?
infocus
QUOTE(TeD @ Fri, 24 Dec 2004 3:37 am)
how much for a rena 200?

Bought at C328 at $22. Yesterday saw Y618 selling $30+. Not sure anywhere else selling cheaper.
dOlBy
QUOTE(TeD @ Fri, 24 Dec 2004 3:37 am)
how much for a rena 200?

I bought Rena 100 at $19, Rena 300 at $28.
TeD
just bought a RENA 300 for $28 at C328... ...
TeD
and it super good!!!! highly recommend.... ....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.