Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red Color Disappearing On Ryukin
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
aqua-fanactic
Notice that the red color on my ryukin is turning white. Dun know why? Is this the effect of the color enhance when it is at the seller part cos when I buy the ryukin, the color was red. Thanks for the advise.
Allan
Hi fanatic

Can you look closely and see:

1 if the color change is from intense red to faded red (some what pinkist)
2. There was a massive scale lost? ohmy.gif

It's unlikely for a red fish to turn white. When color enhancer is used, it enhances red to intense red -- it can't change white to red. That means when the enhancer loses its effect, the intense red fades to paler red but never to white (that would be a complete colour change.)

When a red scale drop off (for one reason or another like fighting/scratching), it will grow again but there's a high chance it will be a white scale.
aqua-fanactic
Hi Allan,

Well, it is the red turning into white, like there was this big patch of red on the goldfish. One week later, some red disappear and a patch of white, with scales intact, appears in place. Something like losing colors.
The Matrix
QUOTE(aqua-fanactic @ Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:56 pm)
Hi Allan,

Well, it is the red turning into white, like there was this big patch of red on the goldfish. One week later, some red disappear and a patch of white, with scales intact, appears in place. Something like losing colors.

mind telling us where u got this fish, what fish and when u got it ? Sudden coloration disappearing usually not due to color enhancers but the condition of your water and also the fish health condition deteriorating too fast.

A photo of the fish and your tank parameters would help. Regaining the color is not going to be easy.
aqua-fanactic
Bought the fishes at the Straits Aquarium in Seletar. Only to realise that the goldfish caught white spot so place them under medication for a week with heater.

Now tank is running under charcoal. Anything I can do to improve the conditions?
The Matrix
QUOTE(aqua-fanactic @ Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:00 am)
Bought the fishes at the Straits Aquarium in Seletar. Only to realise that the goldfish caught white spot so place them under medication for a week with heater.

Now tank is running under charcoal. Anything I can do to improve the conditions?

Charcoal ? Activated Carbon ?

ok, i dun want to be the bad guy ... tired of asking questions.

Nothing much u can do now. Rest the fish well and feed properly. Keep water clean and pray for the fish to recover from the health related problem.

Will take a while, be patience.
aqua-fanactic
Yes, activated charcoal to remove the medication. Why are you the bad guy? We are all here in the forum to learn and only by asking we know. I am also asking a question to everyone mah.

Anyhow, I intend to perform a 50% water change on the weekend and rebuild the BB. Do we add supplyment for goldfish tank? Maybe can advise which to use.

How about goldfish from the place I bought? Is the quality ok? Got them at $30 each. Here is some blur pics cos still not good in taking goldfish pics.

IPB Image
aqua-fanactic
Another one. One of my favourite.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Allan
QUOTE(aqua-fanactic @ Thu, 16 Dec 2004 2:13 pm)
Yes, activated charcoal to remove the medication. Why are you the bad guy? We are all here in the forum to learn and only by asking we know. I am also asking a question to everyone mah.

Anyhow, I intend to perform a 50% water change on the weekend and rebuild the BB. Do we add supplyment for goldfish tank? Maybe can advise which to use.

How about goldfish from the place I bought? Is the quality ok? Got them at $30 each. Here is some blur pics cos still not good in taking goldfish pics.

I'd use AC to remove medication if my tank is HUGE or the fishes cannot be removed (like... a jumpy/fragile arowana). For a typical 3 or 4 feet goldfish tank, a quick water change to discrard all the medicated water is easier and cheaper. Anyway... next time use a small tank/tub/washing pail as a Hospital "Tank", ok? Medicine not cheap to dose a typical display tank and some medication can stain the silicon.

Please don't save half the bad water; change 100% everytime.

No one I know add any addictive. Traces of trace element naturally exists in our tap water -- another reason why you should perform massive water change; to replenish them.

I didn't know Straits sells Ryukin; I thot they are betta and thai ranchu people.

Cheers
aqua-fanactic

This is one of the goldfish I mentioned the red is disappearing, can you see it?
The Matrix

I am real real bad guy.

100% water change to get rid of the medicated water ! Why waste money buy carbon. Use a smaller hospital tank next time.

I do not understand the relationship between 50% water change to rebuild BB.

Supplement ? No, just normal Hikari lionhead and blood worms.

Do check out the few ryukins at the Academy. Those are pretty fine specimens. Compare your fishes with those to give u some guidelines.
The Matrix
QUOTE(aqua-fanactic @ Thu, 16 Dec 2004 5:54 pm)
This is one of the goldfish I mentioned the red is disappearing, can you see it?

har ???? now i am blur. what r u referring to ? the red disappearing or fading ?
aqua-fanactic
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu, 16 Dec 2004 6:04 pm)
I am real real bad guy.

100% water change to get rid of the medicated water ! Why waste money buy carbon. Use a smaller hospital tank next time.

I do not understand the relationship between 50% water change to rebuild BB.

Supplement ? No, just normal Hikari lionhead and blood worms.

Do check out the few ryukins at the Academy. Those are pretty fine specimens. Compare your fishes with those to give u some guidelines.

Well, sometimes you need some enlightenment to see the difference. Just putting 2 different specimen together and ask me to see what is good and what is not so good, to be honest, I dun know how.
The Matrix
QUOTE(aqua-fanactic @ Thu, 16 Dec 2004 6:07 pm)
Well, sometimes you need some enlightenment to see the difference. Just putting 2 different specimen together and ask me to see what is good and what is not so good, to be honest, I dun know how.

faint !

buy what u think u like for now. Dun ask for quality for the meantime.
desireless
100% change won't kill all your BB. If you feel like cleaning your filter medium, squeeze out the dirt in your old water, should make you feel safe.

Anyway, I don't quite get you. Do you mean the red patch on the side belly? Do you mean that the fish was originally red and white but the reddishness is fading and is turning orange? If this the case, you need to rephrase your question. Red patch turning white completely is something very unusually strange..
desireless
If you want to ask about comments to quality of your fishes, please use the GA. It was set up for members to learn more on their selection skills. A few ryukin pros here but I think they prefer to stay anonymous.

Of course, you must first be ready for criticisms. Then will you learn good.gif
CP
QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 16 Dec 2004 6:24 pm)
A few ryukin pros here but I think they prefer to stay anonymous.

Ai Yah!!!
I comment many many in GA on ryukins but did not stay anonymous so I dont qualify to be a Ryukin pro. blush.gif
Next time I stay anonymous.
Heh heh heh,the truth is,I am not pro.biggrin.gif
But I never fail to add "my preference" in those comments to cover myself ha ha ha ha .......
Anyway,bro aqua-fanatic, I am very confident to stick my head out and say loudly that your second fish is MUCH BETTER than your first fish.
And no lao jiaos here will dispute that statement. happy.gif:
LASERGUY

Aiyah, just compare your 1st and 2nd fish lor, as per what cpiw2002 said, 2nd one is much better....
By the way, if you cannot tell what is good and what is bad, then how did you pick these 2 fishes from Straits ? The Ah chek recommended to you ?
Allan
QUOTE(aqua-fanactic @ Thu, 16 Dec 2004 5:54 pm)

Sorry... missed your post earlier.

Without a before pic, i'm unable to tell any missing red. What i can see are some badly fading red scales.
aqua-fanactic
QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 16 Dec 2004 6:21 pm)
100% change won't kill all your BB. If you feel like cleaning your filter medium, squeeze out the dirt in your old water, should make you feel safe.

Anyway, I don't quite get you. Do you mean the red patch on the side belly? Do you mean that the fish was originally red and white but the reddishness is fading and is turning orange? If this the case, you need to rephrase your question. Red patch turning white completely is something very unusually strange..

Yes Desireless, you are right. I phase my question incorrect.

When I bought the Ryukin, there are complete red patches on the body. However, some of the red scale starts to fade at the rim and then even the core fades until the entire scale becomes white.

Fish is eating well. PH at 7.2. Ammonia and nitrate at safe level, 0.005. Really wonder what can I do to prevent such fading of red to become white.
aqua-fanactic
QUOTE(LASERGUY @ Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:32 pm)
Aiyah, just compare your 1st and 2nd fish lor, as per what cpiw2002 said, 2nd one is much better....
By the way, if you cannot tell what is good and what is bad, then how did you pick these 2 fishes from Straits ? The Ah chek recommended to you ?

Actually, I am into aro and koi. So I chose the ryukin base on the pattern of the red on white, like koi. Ah chek reccomendation is every ryukin also good.

The first fish reminds me of my koi with the u-shape pattern on the head and flower on the body. The second one is because of the hump and deep body. Dun really know how to choose so trying out to see if I can learn something.
aqua-fanactic
QUOTE(Allan @ Fri, 17 Dec 2004 9:15 am)
Sorry... missed your post earlier.

Without a before pic, i'm unable to tell any missing red.  What i can see are some badly fading red scales.

Yap, I am fading scale. How to save my ryukin from losing the colors? I am at a lost with what to do.
Allan

The following topic should be of great help to you:-

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=459
void
QUOTE(aqua-fanactic @ Thu, 16 Dec 2004 1:16 pm)

Nice ryukin you've got there... pump it up!! sure turn out swee swee... good_very.gif
aqua-fanactic
QUOTE(void @ Fri, 17 Dec 2004 3:48 pm)
Nice ryukin you've got there... pump it up!! sure turn out swee swee...  good_very.gif

Thank you, yours is even more fantastic. Have to learn from you!!! beg2.gif
goldfish8
Maybe this is not food-related but since I started my fantail goldfish hikari lionhead pellets, it seems to be turning silverish white(more silverish) from the belly up. It is near half way point on body. The other goldfish in the tank are doing fine with noticeable color enhancement. Is there something wrong with my fantail?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.