Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Green Carpet, Wall Algae
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
infocus
Have been trying to cultivate green carpet for a month or so. Below is the progress of my tank. Can anyone advice if I'm on track? Can I do anything else to improve it or enhance the colour of my alage?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Allan
That's so cool!

Congrats.

I see that you went off to do it after reading this thread.

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.ph...indpost&p=21158

Did you really have just 2 tiny Ranchu in there to cultivate the carpet algae? i'm surprise there's sufficient nitrate produced to sustain the population. In any case, good job!
white horse T1
i can't advise but i ve questions.

how often u have to clean the front glass facing u to prevent the algae from growing there? do u add fertiliser?

what is the nitrate level and ammonia level for this tank after 1 week?
peter porker
bro...you make me very very jealous...I could only get algae in my green water tub but not in the main tank.
CP
My dream to have a carpet algae tank,but not at the moment and i am currently using a pleco as the anti-algae.
IMO you have done well,congrats.Does it start off with brown coloured algae in the initial stages?

Here's another link to a nice one.

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=560
jowy_ham
QUOTE(peter porker @ Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:35 pm)
bro...you make me very very jealous...I could only get algae in my green water tub but not in the main tank.

wow, your tank so big want to have green carpet algae, think will need alot of light and time tongue.gif
infocus
QUOTE(Allan @ Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:28 am)
That's so cool!

Congrats. 

I see that you went off to do it after reading this thread.

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.ph...indpost&p=21158

Did you really have just 2 tiny Ranchu in there to cultivate the carpet algae?  i'm surprise there's sufficient nitrate produced to sustain the population.  In any case, good job!

Yup, yes.gif I started trying it after reading the above thread. Initially, I got quite a few goldfish in the tank but they sapu my alage very fast. So I took the rest out and gave the cheapo ones to a nearby lfs.
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:30 pm)

how often u have to clean the front glass facing u to prevent the algae from growing there?  do u add fertiliser?

I clean the glass twice a week and at the same time do wc. Can't advice the nitrate level and ammonia level since I do wc every 2 to 3 days. Will stop doing water change for a week and let you know later.
QUOTE(peter porker @ Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:35 pm)

I think your light in your tank is not enough. Need to increase it.
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Wed, 29 Dec 2004 1:16 pm)
My dream to have a carpet algae tank,but not at the moment and i am currently using a pleco as the anti-algae.
IMO you have done well,congrats.Does it start off with brown coloured algae in the initial stages?

Here's another link to a nice one.
http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=560

Reason I posted this thread at this point of time is to get some feedback and hopefully some advice from the bros here. If you can see clearly (sorry for the small picture), I still have patches of brown alage here and there. In order not to fail this project, I decided to seek some advice so I don't go off track.

Actually, this is the 2nd time I'm trying. The 1st time, brown alage took over after a week or so (I had 7 goldfish in the tank and no wc for 9 days). mad.gif Angrily, I removed the alage, clean up the whole tank, double the intensity of my light and added more fert. Finally, I got this result after 3 to 4 weeks.

Yup. The link shows a nice one and I hope mine will be the same soon. shiok.gif The problem I have now is:

1) there are still patches of brown alage here and there
2) notice the white patch on the top right hand corner? It was green alage initally. Think I must have disturbed the aglae while doing wc
3) the alage carpet is not even. Some portion very thin and some portion are quite thick and long. Not sure if this is the right thing to expect while going through the cultivating process.

Hope someone can advice me. beg2.gif
white horse T1
other than serving as another food source and creating an ideal environment, does carpeted algae wall has the same effect as green water? or in another word, is it a solution to the problem of green water where one cannot admire the fish ?
infocus
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Wed, 29 Dec 2004 5:25 pm)
other than serving as another food source and creating an ideal environment, does carpeted algae wall has the same effect as green water?  or in another word, is it a solution to the problem of green water where one cannot admire the fish ?

Ya, I wish to know too. Is there any plus point for having green carpet? But looking at the fishes 'ban qi sai' is really fulfilling. shiok.gif Just like human taking wheat grass.
white horse T1
QUOTE(infocus @ Wed, 29 Dec 2004 6:09 pm)
Ya, I wish to know too. Is there any plus point for having green carpet? But looking at the fishes 'ban qi sai' is really fulfilling. shiok.gif Just like human taking wheat grass.

maybe u should take sample of the key readings to see if first water quality wise there is a big improvement.
otherwise i don't really see any drastic advanatge over green water.

(Afternote: bro infocus, but i am sure yr reason for cultivating carpet green wall is more than looking at fish liao qi sai right?)
infocus
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Wed, 29 Dec 2004 9:17 pm)
maybe u should take sample of the key readings to see if first water quality wise there is a big improvement. 
otherwise i don't really see any drastic advanatge over green water.

(Afternote:  bro infocus, but i am sure yr reason for cultivating carpet green wall is more than looking at fish liao qi sai right?)

To me, it's just another accomplishment over fish keeping. yes.gif As for the goldfish, I'm sure it should be good as the green alage provide more fiber for them. Think no need to feed green pea so often liao.

Will also take some water measurement after 5 days to see if it's good. By the way, I tried to pump up my 2 fishes by giving frequent small feeds daily. Hope the nitrate level won't be too high.
infocus
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:30 pm)

how often u have to clean the front glass facing u to prevent the algae from growing there?  do u add fertiliser?

Just measured my water parameters after a week:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm

Other info. about my tank:

I try to clean the front glass once a day or every other day in order to see if my fishes are swimming in clear water and if my alage is growing properly.

I also add small amount of fert every morning when I turn-on the lights.

I've also added back my 5 inch ranchu for 3 days now and the nitrate level is still good despite frequent feeding. shiok.gif Seems like green carpet do help a little.
nobnoba
infocus,
when you do water change, how much water were changed? %?
the water parameter that you gave, how old is the water that you tested? when is the last water change.
thanks
infocus
QUOTE(nobnoba @ Thu, 06 Jan 2005 12:50 am)
infocus,
when you do water change, how much water were changed? %?
the water parameter that you gave, how old is the water that you tested? when is the last water change.
thanks

I did a 90% wc 7 days ago.
desireless
Yo infocus,

How's the water perimeters now? Has the algae done any good to your fishes?
infocus
QUOTE(desireless @ Tue, 15 Feb 2005 1:44 pm)
Yo infocus,

biggrin.gif Hee...... didn't measure for some time already. Too lazy but my goldfish doing fine. Will update you probably this weekend as I just did wc two days ago.
infocus
QUOTE(desireless @ Tue, 15 Feb 2005 1:44 pm)
Yo infocus,

Wee uei...... happydance.gif My water chemistry as follows:

Ammonia: 0ppm whistle.gif
Nitrate: between 5 to 10ppm clap.gif

7 days when I last did wc. rofl.gif
toejam
Will my bio-media keep my tank from growing string algea? Do i need some type of fertilizer to get it started?
Iam having no luck.
I do 50 percent water changes weekly to keep nitrates at 30ppm.
bekko
It's a funny world. On the koi boards I read one of the most frequent questions is how to get rid of string algae.

When both are available, string algae will use ammonia in preference to nitrate as a nitrogen source. The nitrogen-hydrogen bond in ammonia is easier to break than the nitrogen-oxygen bond in nitrate. However, it can still grow fine using nitrate. Green water (single-cell algae) will often out-compete string algae for the available nutrients.

String algae also needs a source of phosphate. In the old days, fish food had lots of phosphate. Now, some fish foods are made to have very little phosphate to help reduce algae "problems" and make the effluent cleaner.

-steve
toejam
Will string algea come from wall or carpet algea, or is carpet a whole other plant?
bekko
I think "string algae", "carpet algae" and "blanket weed" are generic terms. There are many species and it takes a professional with a microscope to identify them for certain. Some species can assume different growth habits and look like string algae in some situations and blanket weed in others. To make matters even worse, goldfish will eat some species and not others - even though the different species look very similar to our eyes. The ones that feel sort of coarse like horse hair do not seem to be favored as much as the ones that feel softer. Also, goldfish seem to like the ones that are bright green better than the ones that are olive green - but that could just be my imagination.

-steve

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/seagrant/GLWL/Al...rmFilament.html
http://www.virtualviz.com/algae.htm
http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/database/algae/f...ntous_algae.htm
namrfigk
How does one grow carpet algae, the long stringey ones that goldfish can feed on?
bekko
How does one grow carpet algae
With light, fish waste, luck and patience. Keep changing water and keep removing mulm from the bottom, but do not scrub the bottom and walls. Eventually, the green water will crash and the carpet algae will take over. Changing more water often helps - but not always. A biofilter often helps - but not always. Continually pumping the water through a UV unit usually works. Once the carpet algae takes over, it can out-compete the green water and will usually remain dominant without the help of the UV.

-steve
namrfigk
though i have tried doing that, i usually end up with wall algae, not carpet algae which goldfish can feed on sweatingbullets.gif
bekko
There are many different types of algae so it is dangerous to speak in general terms about it. Would wall algae be carpet algae if the goldfish were not eating it?

-steve
namrfigk
to my knowledge, carpet algae differs from wall algae in terms of appearance.

Carpet algae is a lush thick layer of greens on the fish tank wall that can be plucked by chunks, hence allowing fish to feed on them.

Wall algae, on the other hand, is a fine thin taint of brownish green matter that only disfigures your tank, and cannot be grabbed in terms of physical clutching, thus fish cannot feed on them, only plecos can. shiok.gif
johnism
how is this setup different than a Green water tank and how is it done?

Can people post updated pics of there tanks set up like this ... allot of the posting on here about it have dead links.
As always thank you ,
John
CP
QUOTE(johnism @ Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:14 am) *

how is this setup different than a Green water tank and how is it done?

Can people post updated pics of there tanks set up like this ... allot of the posting on here about it have dead links.
As always thank you ,
John

Unfortunately, the pics are lost.This is the only thread that carries a nice carpet algae tank as far as I know.

green water tank does not have carpet algae.The former consists of free floating algae which utilises ammonia as nutrient and the latter (what you see here) consists on algaes which utilises nitrates.To achieve a setup like this, your tank needs to be cycled with nitrates as end product, and lots of patience as explained by Steve (bekko) a few posts earlier.
Kinder
I'm not sure what are the rite requirements of growing Wall Algae...but few weeks back when my water temp was around 24-25C ....i noticed fine wall algae started growing just below the water line....i was excited, but it was time to do WC and after water change the algae didnt grow back....

Now the water temp has gone up around 29C (summer here) and now no wall algae ....so guess water temp might have also got to do with wall algae growth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.