Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lionchu Or Ranchu
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
infocus
Is this a lionchu or ranchu? Feel free to comment on the fish.

IPB Image
desireless
Lionchu (Tancho)

Try to pump up the hood with green water + BW.

---
(Tancho) Lionchu

PS: I was intending to say Lionchu (Tancho-patterned)
jowy_ham
What's the diff betw ranchu and lionchu ?

Ranchu and Lionhead <- I noe

Ranchu and Lionchu unsure.gif

Can someone enlighten me ??? beg2.gif beg2.gif beg2.gif
GF Lover
Correct me if I am wrong. The original Lionhead from china have a back that is almost flat when view from the side. Ranchu on the other hand has a nice curve back but lesser headgrowth. The lionhead has wen growth all over its head including the underside of its head (chin). Buffalohead is used to describe ranchu with very pronounced checks. Some even refer to it as horn. Goosehead is used to describe those goldfish with very prominent hood growth like the red-capped oranda.

Thus lionchu is a term coined recently by some Singaporean to refer to a goldfish with a ranchu body with a lionhead instead of the usual buffalohead.
jowy_ham
"Goosehead" goldfish unsure.gif , can post of a Goosehead goldfish ??? beg2.gif

Then what is different between buffalohead ranchu and lionchu ??? beg2.gif
CP
QUOTE(desireless @ Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:11 pm)
Lionchu (Tancho)

This means Lionchu = Tancho,which is not right.
It should read Tancho Lionchu.
Anyway, doesn't really look tancho to me.Red cap lionchu more appropriate.
The Matrix
QUOTE(jowy_ham @ Thu, 06 Jan 2005 9:29 am)
"Goosehead" goldfish  unsure.gif , can post of a Goosehead goldfish ???  beg2.gif

Then what is different between buffalohead ranchu and lionchu ???  beg2.gif

want more ? Tiger-head 虎头, Lion-head 狮头, Goose-head 鹅头, Crown-head 皇冠

and now in china, getting more and more popular ... 猫狮
and new variety coming up ... 额下瘤
CP
QUOTE(goldfish Lover @ Thu, 06 Jan 2005 8:00 am)
Buffalohead is used to describe ranchu with very pronounced checks. Some even refer to it as horn.

Thus lionchu is a term coined recently by some Singaporean to refer to a goldfish with a ranchu body with a lionhead instead of the usual buffalohead.

The area where 'buffalohead' growth is should not referred to as the cheeks (most commonly used) of the goldfish,IMO.Just leave it as buffalohead or horn is just fine.
The cheeks should be the area below the eyes.
My kakis commonly refer to a ranchu with good horn growth and no headgrowth on cheeks as a 'pure buffalo'.
Horn growth coupled with headgrowth on cheeks is referred to as a 'cross'.
goldrush
good morning bros

if you classify the above as tancho lionchu,it will do alot of discredit to the fish as the red on its tail will automatically deem as a defect.For what I understand,a tancho fish should have the red only at the crown and no where else,a requirement not many fish can fulfil.So a red and white lionchu broad classsification will save this fish from just a color coded discrimination and otherwise beautiful fish to own. laugh.gif

regards

goldrush
CP
QUOTE(goldrush @ Thu, 06 Jan 2005 11:06 am)
.For what I understand,a tancho fish should have the red only at the crown and no where else,a requirement not many fish can fulfil.
regards

goldrush

Gd morning Goldrush,

Sorry I a bit fussy this morning.The statement not exactly 100%.Tancho need not be only red in colour,there are blacks, for eg.
So it shd read
"A tancho fish should have the coloured marking only at the crown......"

Heh heh heh... smile.gif
The Matrix
I guess many people make the same mistake of naming anything with an overly grown head and a curve back as a ranchu. Not wrong also.

Ranchu has already break up into various form and in fact, hobbyists start to break them into countries - Chinese, Thai, Japan and even UK.

Just remember 1 thing, all classifications comes under the Chinese way.

Lion-head refers to head of a Wen-yu. Eg, Oranda
Tiger-head refers to head growth of a Dan-zhong. Eg, lionhead, ranchu
High-head refers to hood growth of a Wen-Yu, Eg, crown pearl, red-cap oranda
Flat-head refers to head of any varieties without muscle growth. Eg, Ryukin, Comet

It's the confusion when translate to English and cause a lot of problems to many.

Since Dan-Zhong already so confusing, better not touch the more complex Wen-Zhong.

Dan-Zhong simply fish without dosal. Eg, Ranchu, Lionhead, Celestial, Bubble-eyes, Pompon, Dragon-eye Egg fish ... even dosal-less pearlscale also in Dan-Zhong category.

The confusing part is Ranchu and Lionhead. Got to go back to history of some a thousands years ago. hahahaha ... who the hell give the name Ranchu. hahahaha.

Go lunch then see what I can come out with ... or someone try to make a more detail description between the 2.
goldrush
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Thu, 06 Jan 2005 11:20 am)
Gd morning Goldrush,

Sorry I a bit fussy this morning.The statement not exactly 100%.Tancho need not be only red in colour,there are blacks, for eg.
So it shd read
"A tancho fish should have the coloured marking only at the crown......"

Heh heh heh... smile.gif

Sorry sorry my mistake for being too specific to red only.You are right in that tancho are not confine to reds only but perhaps the other coloration being a rarity(eg kuro tancho the black is on the tancho marking as in koi but in goldfish ???????? never see before leh)

regards

goldrush
CP
QUOTE(infocus @ Mon, 03 Jan 2005 11:53 pm)
Is this a lionchu or ranchu? Feel free to comment on the fish.

Pardon my ignorance,with regards to the question posed by topic starter,now that it is classified as lionchu,I admit that I would have answered his question as a ranchu. blush.gif
desireless
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:19 am)
This means Lionchu = Tancho,which is not right.
It should read Tancho Lionchu.
Anyway, doesn't really look tancho to me.Red cap lionchu more appropriate.

I didn't say tancho = lionchu

Else I wouldn't have put a bracket there.

----
I will edit it anyway... yes.gif
The brackets at the back looks misleading. I have meant to say Lionchu (Tancho-patterned)
The Matrix
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Thu, 06 Jan 2005 1:14 pm)
Pardon my ignorance,with regards to the question posed by topic starter,now that it is classified as lionchu,I admit that I would have answered his question as a ranchu. blush.gif

even if u say it is a ranchu still not right. Ranchu head is not like this.
desireless
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu, 06 Jan 2005 1:56 pm)
even if u say it is a ranchu still not right. Ranchu head is not like this.

Yeah.. that's why cannot call it a true blue ranchu.

---> "Lionchu" lor...
This term can be so conveniently used. biggrin.gif
GFLover already explained, this is a short-term for Lionhead-head Ranchu.

Matrix, you got pictures of "fish head" to see the difference or not? I realised I only have lionchus in my pic collection.

----
OK... I try... see the pix below.
Hint is found on the wens. "lionchu" would have translucent watery wens in the shape of those "lumps" that looks like a.... Buddha's hair style...
IPB Image IPB Image
CP
http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.ph...indpost&p=23519

Some of my fishes.
So,is the orange one (no growth on cheeks,some wen on head) considered a ranchu and the white one (transluscent watery wens,..Buddha's hair style.. thinking.gif ) a lionchu?
GF Lover
This is a typical lionhead.

IPB Image
GF Lover
This is a goosehead

IPB Image
desireless
Actually we have drifted a bit away from "lionchu or ranchu" topic

The difference between LIONHEAD and RANCHU has been discussed before:
http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=535

The explanatory pictures that void has posted are already nulled. I reproduce the pictures below:

Lionhead
IPB Image

Ranchu
IPB Image
desireless
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Thu, 06 Jan 2005 3:35 pm)
http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.ph...indpost&p=23519

Some of my fishes.
So,is the orange one (no growth on cheeks,some wen on head) considered a ranchu and the white one (transluscent watery wens,..Buddha's hair style.. thinking.gif ) a lionchu?

Can you post a clearer pix of the head wens of your fishes? The wens would determine whether it is lionhead-head Ranchu or ranchu...
Seacucumber
aiyah.....now its very debative liao....
cross until blurr liao....

to me all are ranchu....only diff are:

Lionhead or Buffalohead

simple...

btw, is the following a ranchu or a lionchu??

IPB Image
desireless
QUOTE(Seacucumber @ Thu, 06 Jan 2005 5:26 pm)
btw, is the following a ranchu or a lionchu??

GOOSEHEAD LIONCHU!!! biggrin.gif
mountain
after so many postings.. i haven't saw the word traditional lei ..
The Matrix
Lionhead enter as Ranchu in competition har .... if the judge is really expert hor, then dun even need to judge. Immediate disqualify. Submitting of entry is the responsibility of the owner, not the organiser. At least yet to see someone enter ryukin under oranda ... kekekekeke, try think about Dragon Eyes Pearlscale, should it be in Dragon eyes or Pearlscale ? hahahahaha

Other than the head growth, the main different is the body structure.

But now, simply too much inbreeding and crossing that the head of a ranchu lost the firmness of the original one. More of a mix of lionhead hood in a ranchu.

Not all lionhead is straight back hor. Some does have that, very very close, curve of the ranchu back. So the major different between a ranchu and a lionhead become very "rojak", genetic scrambling.

Simply term the cross breed of a ranchu with big overly soft growth hood as lion-chu. A Ranchu will be those with 2 distinctive cheeks and a solid firm hood and of course the usual nice body curvature. Simply why noone actually ask, why the Chinese term it as Tiger head ? Think and you will get the answer.

Have fun ! Shopping time !
Seacucumber
simi si traditional ranchu??
desireless
Come to think of it... LIONCHU is also ranchu... It is just that lionchu is a lionhead-headed ranchu.

Rephrase, rephrase...
Suddenly I have more true-blue ranchu than lionchu happydance1.gif
Seacucumber
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu, 06 Jan 2005 6:04 pm)
Lionhead enter as Ranchu in competition har .... if the judge is really expert hor, then dun even need to judge. Immediate disqualify. Submitting of entry is the responsibility of the owner, not the organiser. At least yet to see someone enter ryukin under oranda ... kekekekeke, try think about Dragon Eyes Pearlscale, should it be in Dragon eyes or Pearlscale ? hahahahaha

Other than the head growth, the main different is the body structure.

But now, simply too much inbreeding and crossing that the head of a ranchu lost the firmness of the original one. More of a mix of lionhead hood in a ranchu.

Not all lionhead is straight back hor. Some does have that, very very close, curve of the ranchu back. So the major different between a ranchu and a lionhead become very "rojak", genetic scrambling.

Simply term the cross breed of a ranchu with big overly soft growth hood as lion-chu. A Ranchu will be those with 2 distinctive cheeks and a solid firm hood and of course the usual nice body curvature. Simply why noone actually ask, why the Chinese term it as Tiger head ? Think and you will get the answer.

Have fun ! Shopping time !

the foreign thing to me now is the diff between tigerhead and lionhead unsure.gif
desireless
QUOTE(Seacucumber @ Thu, 06 Jan 2005 6:05 pm)
the foreign thing to me now is the diff between tigerhead and lionhead  unsure.gif

NA! Tigerhead ranchu!
hysterical.gif
IPB Image
CP
QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 06 Jan 2005 6:25 pm)
NA! Tigerhead ranchu!
hysterical.gif

hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

But I getting more confused liao.First I thot my collection all ranchus.Then I 'realised' that most of them are lionchus.Now it seems that they are ranchus again. thinking.gif

Have we drifted away from the topic?The topic starter said
'Ranchu or Lionchu.Pls comment on fish.'
We are discussing part1.Part 2 no comments yet kekekekeke......
infocus
kekekeke...... The body to me is ranchu. The head to me is ????? I'm also confused liao. blush.gif

Anyway, give some comment on my fish leh. tongue.gif Swee or not swee? Lionchu or not lionchu?? unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif
jowy_ham
QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 06 Jan 2005 5:17 pm)
Actually we have drifted a bit away from "lionchu or ranchu" topic

The difference between LIONHEAD and RANCHU has been discussed before:
http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=535

The explanatory pictures that void has posted are already nulled. I reproduce the pictures below:

Lionhead
Click to view attachment

Ranchu
Click to view attachment

Thanks for the link, bro desireless. I re-read the whole posting and had a better understanding liao tongue.gif

QUOTE(infocus @ Thu, 06 Jan 2005 11:24 pm)
kekekeke...... The body to me is ranchu. The head to me is ????? I'm also confused liao. blush.gif

Anyway, give some comment on my fish leh.  tongue.gif Swee or not swee? Lionchu or not lionchu?? unsure.gif  unsure.gif  unsure.gif

Newbie here blush.gif so don't take my word too seriously.

IMHO I find it very swee. good_very.gif

- Nice curve back.
- Tail at a good angle
- Good headgrowth
- Coloration is good except for the few patches of orange at the tail, if without that, it could be nicer.

Would U mind tell us how much U pay for it and what is the size of it ? tongue.gif

Keep in well and hope we can have an update in 3 months time shiok.gif
The Matrix
Lionchu, Ranchu of modern days are all classified in the Ranchu lah. Even though one got really hugh head, the demand for a true ranchu still exist and even prices are pushing higher. SO dun care so much wat ranchu, lionchu. Wat u like best, just buy lah.

Lionhead, in the other hand, usually demand the back to be as straight as possible and gently small curve. That's curve is significantly the main difference between both classification.

Like the superior China Gold, Grand Champ 1999 and sold at high price in USA, that is a ranchu. Small head, large body. Like 2004, Grand Champ is also a large bodied small head ranchu.

Andy ... for you ...

Goose Head - refer to head growth concentrate on the upper and front of head. Red-cap oranda for example.

Lion Head - headgrowth all over the head, cheek and a hood on the top.

Tiger head - head growth all over the head uniformly.
infocus
QUOTE(jowy_ham @ Fri, 07 Jan 2005 1:53 am)
Thanks for the link, bro desireless. I re-read the whole posting and had a better understanding liao tongue.gif
Newbie here blush.gif so don't take my word too seriously.

IMHO I find it very swee. good_very.gif

- Nice curve back.
- Tail at a good angle
- Good headgrowth
- Coloration is good except for the few patches of orange at the tail, if without that, it could be nicer.

Would U mind tell us how much U pay for it and what is the size of it ? tongue.gif

Keep in well and hope we can have an update in 3 months time  shiok.gif

Thanks for the comment. I got it for 80 bucks. It's slightly less than 5". Will update you again. peace.gif
peter porker
good buy in my opinion, as opposed for the $60 you paid for the other one from a forumer.
infocus
QUOTE(peter porker @ Fri, 07 Jan 2005 10:43 pm)
good buy in my opinion, as opposed for the $60 you paid for the other one from a forumer.

Sorry, the other one should be $40. I gave the wrong figure the other time. tongue.gif That is the fish that kana the head down tail up problem. But still I like my ranchu. Hope it will get better, if not recover 100%. unsure.gif
ball
After reading this discussion on lionchu and ranchu, I think I give up in knowing the difference liao. Got even more confused than I was before I start reading this thread. Cheap and nice and like it, just buy lah. Dun care whatever chu they are called.
desireless
Confusing meh?

I think it is very clear now... good.gif
MachoRanchu
Hi all,

Need your expert help in classifying my ranchu. What type of ranchu is this?

Feel free to comment - positive negative all welcome. Still need to learn. Thanks. beg2.gif

(apologies for the sound...was watching Wimbledon while filming this) tongue.gif
small_ranchu
It looks like lionchu to me. Well what do I know, I am still a learner too smile.gif But it's very cute and I like it a lot.

The only comment for me is about the tank. I saw gravel in the tank. For me, goldfish is doing better in bare bottom tank. Just my two cents bro
MachoRanchu
QUOTE(small_ranchu @ Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:47 am) *

It looks like lionchu to me. Well what do I know, I am still a learner too smile.gif But it's very cute and I like it a lot.

The only comment for me is about the tank. I saw gravel in the tank. For me, goldfish is doing better in bare bottom tank. Just my two cents bro

Thanks SR. The gravel covers like only 1/4 of the tank. The rest is bare bottom. So far they quite like playing with the small pebbles, but I'll probably be removing soon as food occasionally gets trapped underneath.
desireless
The head pattern of this piece suggest that it is a lionchu. Moreoever, it comes with a "double-chin". good_very.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.