Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two Fish,same Environment,two Results
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
goldrush
Dear RG members

Today I would like to share with you some inexplicable development which are liable to be encountered in our fish keeping.To begin with these two fish were harness in the same environment ,same nutrition regime, bought at the same time(perhaps from the same brood)same supplier,with no disease being encountered so no medication applied and all other conditions being held constant.The fish were observed since August 2004(approximately 5 months to this date)

fish A(taken in August 2004)
IPB Image

top view of fish A
IPB Image

the fish A today
IPB Image
goldrush
sorry I'm back

this is fish B in August 2004
IPB Image

fish B today
IPB Image

Fish A and B as today
IPB Image
peter porker
fish A cannot tell much difference but can see that fish B has grown considerably (by at least the length of its tail) and the colour has intensified.
goldrush
Side profile of the fish today

Note the change in size ,the finishing of the fish ,its colour its body conformation
a)The discrepancy in size is obvious as the following photos show
b)By finishing perhaps we can see the better fish has more definite pattern edge(kiwa in koi language)The poorly finished fish has poor demarcation, typical kanoko(dappled orange specks),unsightly and indistinct pattern formation which was never present in the beginning.
c)Body conformation in the better fish is stout and robust while the poorer fish appeared stunted and lengthy in body structure.

IPB Image
goldrush
Head on with this two fish

IPB Image
goldrush
I have read from previous post of color deterioration as in orange dappled specks upon color enhancement.?????However I have noticed the dappled specks of orange are seen so often in my fish that are deteriorating in bodily structure ,bigger head than body and with poor bodily movement. I wonder any bros have the same experience to share such observation .Kindly enlighten us.

regards

goldrush
wink.gif
CP
The disparity in sizes,all others being equal,is not at all surprising (I believe you can explain genetics better,doc) ; just like siblings of the same parents vary in sizes in human.
What we commonly strive for in our hobby is to spot one with the potential of growing larger in the later stages.
I think many already know that looking for one with a thick(er) back will have a better advantage.Notice that Fish B has a thicker back than fish A.
CP
These 2 were purchased in July 04,of different parentage but were of the same size when bought.
IPB Image

IPB Image

Both were raised in exact conditions,length wise the orange fish is now slightly longer than the white but it is much more 'solid' and bulkier.

Viewed from the top,it has a much thicker back.(Disregard the ryukins).I believe it will outgrow the white one with a bigger disparity in future.
IPB Image
CP
QUOTE(goldrush @ Mon, 10 Jan 2005 8:40 pm)
However I have noticed the dappled specks of orange are seen  so often in my fish that are deteriorating in bodily structure ,bigger head than body and with poor bodily movement. I wonder any bros have the same experience to share such observation .Kindly enlighten us.
regards

goldrush
wink.gif

Hmmmm.....this one is showing the symptoms. thinking.gif
IPB Image

She has put on lots of weight (very tam chiak),and now swims like 'Lydia Sum trying to climb the stairs'.
goldrush
Enclose is another case of deterioration after months of keeping.See the marked changes in the body structure and proportional changes.See liao kek sim.So sometimes you may deem to select a potential fish with good body structure and yet after a couple of months of keeping it simply deteriorates under your hands.(smelly hands?)While other seemly not so good fish may be groomed to be much better fish.So unpredictable and often expect the unexpected,perhaps that's the fun of this hobby.Give you the cheee kek. mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif .hahhaha

regards

goldrush

IPB Image

IPB Image
goldrush
From the above to that below

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

IPB Image
CHLeong
QUOTE(goldrush @ Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:49 am)
mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif

Has this fish been kept indoors all the time?

Rgds
CHLeong
goldrush
QUOTE(CHLeong @ Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:12 am)
Has this fish been kept indoors all the time?

Rgds
CHLeong

Hi CH Leong

Like the tinkerman(Chelsea’s ex manager)I tend to rotate my fish around so that they are both exposed to indoor and outdoor life style in their upbringing. Like I already stated most of them share the same environment, food ,climate and water changes. Perhaps this fish is Adrian Mutu(Chelsea ex forward) in the making. Full of potential but just didn’t deliver.

goldrush
CP
QUOTE(goldrush @ Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:49 am)
mad.gif  mad.gif

So this one is showing the 'orange speck syndrome' coupled with deterioration of fish.
I am still with the opinion that 'orange speck' or changing colour or whatever you call it is not a signal of deterioration.Maybe in your case its co-incidence??? sad.gif
I still believe that the orange specks are genetics,not due to water or diet,and not a sign of fish health deteriorating.

Regards
CHLeong
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:52 am)
So this one is showing the 'orange speck syndrome' coupled with deterioration of fish.
I am still with the opinion that 'orange speck' or changing colour or whatever you call it is not a signal of deterioration.Maybe in your case its co-incidence??? sad.gif
I still believe that the orange specks are genetics,not due to water or diet,and not a sign of fish health deteriorating.

Regards

I believe its genetic too as I have the same experiences. I fed one of fish with dry krill to verify how it can enhance the colour. It did grow big but as it grow the redness turn yellow and yellow speck starts to appear on its body.

I also noticed that the pinkish light although enhances the fishes colour but after some time, the fish's colour start to fade. So I change my tank light to 6500K "daylight" bulb and my goldfishes seem to maintain its colour. Anyway, this are my observation, it would be good if other verify it.

Rgds
CHLeong
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.