Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whiteice's New Babies :)
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
whiteice
Hi all, I just started off this hobby by buying 2 ranchus. Please see attached pics. However, the more I look at the gold one, the more I think it looks of mixed parentage. Is it?

IPB Image
IPB Image
whiteice
Here's thered/white? Issit too fat for it's size? Appreciate all comments, this way, I'll learn to choose better next. Thanks

IPB Image

IPB Image
desireless
You have very good selection skills for a new starter. Both ranchus have nice curve. I personally prefer the red/white for it's better curvature and it being coloured.

Both are ranchus.

If you want to learn more on the different speciments and types, please refer to these 2 threads as below:

Ranchus vs Lionheads

Ranchus vs Lionchus
Seacucumber
hey white ice!
nice fish!
both are ranchu....
btw, where u bought them??
CP
I prefer the red/white body shape,and both fishes has nice colouration and neat scales.Good catch.
LASERGUY
Agreed with Desireless and cpiw2002, the red and white is a better fish among the two. If the picture showes correctly, there is a slight saddles(depression) on the back of the red fish. Perhaps, by pumping up the red one, it will looks nicer....just my 2 cents....
The Matrix
wah seh ... me odd one out again ... i take the full red one ... long time din see this line of thai fish.
Seacucumber
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Mon, 24 Jan 2005 4:12 pm)
wah seh ... me odd one out again ... i take the full red one ... long time din see this line of thai fish.

si meh?? hehehehe...i show u one in the near future....kekekekeke
whiteice
QUOTE(desireless @ Mon, 24 Jan 2005 2:26 am)
You have very good selection skills for a new starter. Both ranchus have nice curve. I personally prefer the red/white for it's better curvature and it being coloured.

Both are ranchus.

If you want to learn more on the different speciments and types, please refer to these 2 threads as below:

Ranchus vs Lionheads

Ranchus vs Lionchus

Thanks for the encouragment, actually, I've been rearing all kinds of fish in the past since secondary school. Used to have 3 huge orandas which I reared from young until they spawned. They started eating the eggs and my mum removed them and placed them in a bucket without areation. This happened when I was at school. When I returned, all 3 were dead. End of story, moved on to other fish. Now, I'm back at ranchu smile.gif
whiteice
QUOTE(Seacucumber @ Mon, 24 Jan 2005 8:25 am)
hey white ice!
nice fish!
both are ranchu....
btw, where u bought them??

Bought the gold one from AC seah. Known him for donkey years now, when I was still in NS and Jeffery and Ron still hanging out there. I just reserved another gold piece, china one this time, currently unstable at AC. Nice shape but colour lacking. Hoping things would improve when I feed him well in green water.

The red/white one bought from Pasir Ris farm, dunno which no. just know how to go. I had headache after selecting it. See until eyes blur.
whiteice
QUOTE(LASERGUY @ Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:16 pm)
Agreed with Desireless and cpiw2002, the red and white is a better fish among the two. If the picture showes correctly, there is a slight saddles(depression) on the back of the red fish. Perhaps, by pumping up the red one, it will looks nicer....just my 2 cents....

You are right, the red one is thin. I feed them 5 times a day, small portions with Hikari Lionhead and bloodworms in green water. Hope things will improve for it. Will post pics again in a months time.
whiteice

Hehe, he's my personal favourite too. He has such a cute face that I immediately settled on him without much consideration. It was extremely active and was begging for food chomping at the water surface when you bend over for a closer look. Seldom have such an immediate liking for a fish. smile.gif
CyberET

sama sama..
look, it's cousin biggrin.gif
IPB Image
The Matrix
QUOTE(CyberET @ Mon, 24 Jan 2005 9:37 pm)
sama sama..
look, it's cousin biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

Not this lah El, yours still can find in the market ... the old pair I used to have. Early last year, quite a lot of such type.

Love the color on 1st sight, but hate it when the color fade to golden color. sian 1/2.
whiteice
Just bought these 2 thai SV from Pasir Ris. What do you guys think. It was love at first sight for the red/white

IPB Image

IPB Image
whiteice
Here's the red.

IPB Image
IPB Image
desireless
Not as good as your first RED/WHITE fish but nonetheless both are still good picks for new starter. yes.gif

Again, among these 2, I prefer the Red/White one for it's better curvature. good_very.gif
Seacucumber
wow, the red/white looks good!
how much??
mountain
i prefer the red fish over the red/white fish. nevertheless, both are good catch.
The Matrix
not bad, got 2 new fish to go competition liao.
whiteice
QUOTE(desireless @ Sun, 30 Jan 2005 1:17 am)
Not as good as your first RED/WHITE fish but nonetheless both are still good picks for new starter.  yes.gif

Again, among these 2, I prefer the Red/White one for it's better curvature.  good_very.gif

I thought this red/white much better, the red is more intense and the headgrowth is more pronounced. Here's my favourite shot of it. Fish looks very stressed out now. Red streaks on the tail but fortunately still very active.

IPB Image
whiteice
QUOTE(Seacucumber @ Sun, 30 Jan 2005 4:57 pm)
wow, the red/white looks good!
how much??

The red/white was 180, the red was 75. In the end after bargaining, got both at 210. The uncle was only willing to let the R/W go at 160 if I bought only 1 piece. So for another 50 bucks, heck, I took the other red too.
whiteice
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:53 pm)
not bad, got 2 new fish to go competition liao.

No lah, usually, really good fish at this size cant b found at LFS. Unless it's small and you buy it and groom yourself.
The Matrix
QUOTE(whiteice @ Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:55 am)
No lah, usually, really good fish at this size cant b found at LFS. Unless it's small and you buy it and groom yourself.

U sure ? hahahaha .... keep both fish in a good environment and u should have those big spenders a chase for the money. For a 150 bucks fish and still no standard, no way leh. Com'on ... if not good fish, still can pay so much... u champion liao leh.

it is becos now farm sell direct, so it is no longer any different between a farm and lfs. Small or big dun care so much lah.
LASERGUY
IMHO, although the red/white has a better body shape but the scaling are a bit corse as compared to the red fish. Nevertheless, both are good catch...
CP
My take incl. the 2 pieces from earlier post:

1)Red / white from 1st post
2)Full red from 2nd post
3)Red/white from 2nd post
4)Full red from 1st post.

Close fight bet 2nd and 3rd place.In the end the full red edges out the red /white in terms of body shape and scaling.But there seems to be 3 white scales on the full red?
Red/whites are more expensive as they are more sought after,and not easy to find one with red scales.Red head with orange scales more common.

You now have 2 nice pairs to go hand in hand.If the red/white and full red pairings are one male/one female each,lagi best. good_very.gif
whiteice
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:22 am)
U sure ? hahahaha .... keep both fish in a good environment and u should have those big spenders a chase for the money.  For a 150 bucks fish and still no standard, no way leh. Com'on ... if not good fish, still can pay so much... u champion liao leh.

it is becos now farm sell direct, so it is no longer any different between a farm and lfs. Small or big dun care so much lah.

Actually, I was sort of cornered by the uncle into buying two. I had actually netted the red out of abt 10 fish from the 75 tank and wanted to stop at there. But the uncle caught me staring at the red/white which was one of 3 from the 180 tank. He immediately proceeded to cross sell them as a pair. In fact, he removed it from the tank and showed me up close the intense red and head growth. Plus, It was one of the fattest and rounded fish I have came across for that price. Then I though of the times when I travelled to 5 farms all over spore but couldn't find anything I wanted. Damn, no choice, saw the uncle packing them them even b4 final price was negotiated. But come to think of it, 105 for each seemed rather reasonable.

I personally find it easier to pick out larger fish. That explains why 3 of my 4 fish are more than 5 inches big. I'm not so good at fish selecting, so buy bigger fish as sort of a guarantee.
whiteice
QUOTE(LASERGUY @ Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:15 pm)
IMHO, although the red/white has a better body shape but the scaling are a bit corse as compared to the red fish. Nevertheless, both are good catch...

Yup, esp the bottom part of the fish. But I love everything else about it. It was so cut swimming around. It swims perfectly too. I hate those fish that can't float level when they are at rest and those that swim like they are drowning.
whiteice
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:52 pm)
My take incl. the 2 pieces from earlier post:

1)Red / white from 1st post
2)Full red from 2nd post
3)Red/white from 2nd post
4)Full red from 1st post.

Close fight bet 2nd and 3rd place.In the end the full red edges out the red /white in terms of body shape and scaling.But there seems to be 3 white scales on the full red?
Red/whites are more expensive as they are more sought after,and not easy to find one with red scales.Red head with orange scales more common.

You now have 2 nice pairs to go hand in hand.If the red/white and full red pairings are one male/one female each,lagi best. good_very.gif

I love all of them equally but have to confess that I like the R/W from the 2nd post slightly more. You are right, There's a bit of white on the 2nd red fish. But imo, I think this fish has the potential to grow large due to it's body shape and tail size. Am I right?

Right now, I'm looking for a black about 5 inches and above to complete my collection for now. That day, missed one at AC, When I returned the next day to buy it, Seah said already sold to another customer. Wasted, V nice fish with excellent head growth, thick large body and rather small tail. Very black too. Does the buyer happen to be any of the bros here? It was more than 5 inches and costs 180.
CP
QUOTE(whiteice @ Tue, 01 Feb 2005 12:16 am)
......the 2nd red fish. But imo, I think this fish has the potential to grow large due to it's body shape and tail size. Am I right?

I think so too.I feel that a back that is more gentle will have better potential than a steep one in terms of eventual size,but a too gentle back is not attractive so it is a trade off in some sense.

So you looking for a black.............get a pair!!
But have to take your time,not many blackies in the market for the past few months.Or maybe I have not been visiting farms and LFS much lately...........
DillIuSionS
i think the red one got better shape....and i prefer a 100% one colour type of fish. but both all nice la good_very.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.