Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: goldfish Qurries
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
JoopJoop
Dear Experience Members,

Have just started rearing ranchu for abt a few mths. Have read through most of the thread in RG forum, but still catch no ball for some of the things that some of u had posted in the forum.

Current set up:
Have just shifted to a 4ft x 3ft x 1ft FGT (father used to rear Koi)
Clear water, 50% water change weekly
9 black SV ranchus (given by a friend who doesnt want them any more), feeding Hikari Lionhead and frozen BWs
Only 1 air supply for the fishes
Add anti-chorine and salt

Would appreciate if you are able to assist to clear my queries:

Sponge Filter
1. As advise by my friend that washing of the sponge filter will kill the good BB in the filter as the BB are able to break down the fishes poo, but having read through some thread some of the members washes their sponge filter during water change. Is it neccessary to wash the sponge filter or just to leave it alone. What is the purpose of the sponge filter in ur tank, beside providing air circulation.

Ranchu
2. Have notice that all my ranchu have minimum head growth, know that rearing ranchu in green water would enhance the growth of the head, size as well as the colour of the ranchu. If without green water, what other recommendation would u advise for the the ranchu head growth.

3. 2 of my black ranchu have started to turn 'golden' as it seems that the colour of the ranchu are fading away. Why does this happen and any way to prevent as well as to get the colour of the ranchu back?

Thanks laugh.gif
ball
QUOTE(JoopJoop @ Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:06 pm)
Dear Experience Members,

Have just started rearing ranchu for abt a few mths. Have read through most of the thread in RG forum, but still catch no ball for some of the things that some of u had posted in the forum.

Current set up:
Have just shifted to a 4ft x 3ft x 1ft FGT (father used to rear Koi)
Clear water, 50% water change weekly
9 black SV ranchus (given by a friend who doesnt want them any more), feeding Hikari Lionhead and frozen BWs
Only 1 air supply for the fishes
Add anti-chorine and salt

Would appreciate if you are able to assist to clear my queries:

Sponge Filter
1. As advise by my friend that washing of the sponge filter will kill the good BB in the filter as the BB are able to break down the fishes poo, but having read through some thread some of the members washes their sponge filter during water change. Is it neccessary to wash the sponge filter or just to leave it alone. What is the purpose of the sponge filter in ur tank, beside providing air circulation.

Ranchu
2. Have notice that all my ranchu have minimum head growth, know that rearing ranchu in green water would enhance the growth of the head, size as well as the colour of the ranchu. If without green water, what other recommendation would u advise for the the ranchu head growth.

3. 2 of my black ranchu have started to turn 'golden' as it seems that the colour of the ranchu are fading away. Why does this happen and any way to prevent as well as to get the colour of the ranchu back?

Thanks  laugh.gif

When I wash my sponge, I don't wash all of them at one go. I wash half and leave the other half as it is. In my next wash, I will wash the next half. So far so good.
I keep my ranchu in green water. I notice some has better head growth than others. Gene play an important role here. Green water only help. I nvr keep any black ranchu so far, but I also notice my brown butterfly changing to red. Pple said its the food. Not sure how significant is this.
mountain
you can wash all the sponge filters if you want to. wash it with the tubs old water. But some of us have more 3 or more sponge in the tank, and it does make some sense to alternate between them for the fear that the new one would collapse/the old one would continue to function as a biofiltration. if not, its not an die die rule.

as for black turning gold, all the factors can be considered.. from genes to water parameters.
Lester001
i hv one black ranchu. i feed my black ranchu eat frozen worm n genuine ranchu lord pellet (A grade). i kp my black ranchu in fgt and sunlight direct area. according to the old bird ppl say black ranchu beta kp at the area which cn contact to sunlight. it will mantain d colour of black ranchu. dun feed eat those pellet got colour enhancer. it will make d colour drop. n i change my water 30% daily. so far so good. good_very.gif
JoopJoop
QUOTE(Lester001 @ Sat, 12 Feb 2005 12:40 am)
i hv one black ranchu. i feed my black ranchu eat frozen worm n genuine ranchu lord pellet (A grade). i kp my black ranchu in fgt and sunlight direct area. according to the old bird ppl say black ranchu beta kp at the area which cn contact to sunlight. it will mantain d colour of black ranchu. dun feed eat those pellet got colour enhancer. it will make d colour drop. n i change my water 30% daily. so far so good. good_very.gif

if dont have direct sunlight can i use the type of floursent light that some of them use to cacultivate green water?

A pic of my black ranchu which had turn 'golden':

IPB Image

As u can see from my pic, it only left the tail still black in colour, dunno if i can still get back the colour.

Just asking, if dont have direct sunlight can i use the type of fluorescent light that some of them use to calculative green water?
JoopJoop
QUOTE(mountain @ Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:56 pm)
you can wash all the sponge filters if you want to. wash it with the tubs old water. But some of us have more 3 or more sponge in the tank, and it does make some sense to alternate between them for the fear that the new one would collapse/the old one would continue to function as a biofiltration. if not, its not an die die rule.

as for black turning gold, all the factors can be considered.. from genes to water parameters.

hi mountain,

Again just asking, what is the used of washing the filter if u want all ur filters to continue to function as a biofiltration?

My is a Thia breed ranchu and as for the water parameter have not taken any measurement yet, will try to do so.

Any recommendation for the water parameters?

Thanks peace.gif
Lester001
wat is the size of tub or fgt dat u use? 3x2x1.5?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.