Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Walls Of Tank
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
Pages: 1, 2
Puppies
Hi All;
Extremely new to this forum... Didnt know there are so many experts here on goldfishes...
I have a 3 feet tank. read in previous posts that a sucker will not clean up your tank.
My walls of the tank is coated with a layer of slime, not algae... how do i go about removing that? it blurs the tank...

And, if i put stones/ pebbles (gravel) in the tank, how big the size of gravel I should have? I refer small stomes that can let the fish gup into their mouth, and spit out... is it advisable?.. as i read in previous threads that its not wise as it chokes and result in death of fish... But small pebbles at the base (abt half inch of height) looks good.

And how do we clean the poos trapped between the gravel? mine is a overhead filter...
Need advise,.. thanks in advance..>>>

Rgds;
Puppies
CP
QUOTE(Puppies @ Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:11 am)
I have a 3 feet tank. read in previous posts that a sucker will not clean up your tank.
My walls of the tank is coated with a layer of slime, not algae... how do i go about removing that? it blurs the tank...

Sucker will not eat shit,but helps somewhat to clean your tank.A single pleco can easily keep a 4 ft tank free of algae.I dont know what you meant by slime on your tank,but getting a magnetic cleaner should do the job.

And, if i put stones/ pebbles (gravel) in the tank, how big the size of gravel I should have? I refer small stomes that can let the fish gup into their mouth, and spit out... is it advisable?.. as i read in previous threads that its not wise as it chokes and result in death of fish... But small pebbles at the base (abt half inch of height) looks good.

Advisable not to have any gravels,whether big or small.Difficult to clean, maintain and a breeding ground for parasites.Go for bare tank.

And how do we clean the poos trapped between the gravel? mine is a overhead filter...

Thats why you should go for a bare tank.Plenty of examples here:

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1470
Puppies
Hi cpiw2002;
You are really helpful.
Had not bought any gravel/ stones till date.

I currently have
a Overhead filter.
15 GFs. (ranchus/ lionhead.. ryuukin etc)
2 airstones.
Water change 50% every 2 days.

Overhead filter
A type which it will create strong current in water. Had used a stopper to block the hole of current blowing out from.

Problem:
Goldfishes keep dying. 2 weeks back, dead a black butterfly tail, without any reasons. Last nite, another same breed dead, without reasons as well.

What could be the reason?
I didnt monitor any PH/ nitrate/ nitrite or whatsoever. Is is necessary?
Sorry, I am quite new in GFs.
If monitoring of PH/ nitrate/ nitrite/ ammonia.. or whatever that I may need to monitor, please kindly advise me how?

Thanks

QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Wed, 23 Feb 2005 9:12 pm)
Sucker will not eat shit,but helps somewhat to clean your tank.A single pleco can easily keep a 4 ft tank free of algae.I dont know what you meant by slime on your tank,but getting a magnetic cleaner should do the job.
Advisable not to have any gravels,whether big or small.Difficult to clean, maintain and a breeding ground for parasites.Go for bare tank.
Thats why you should go for a bare tank.Plenty of examples here:

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1470

CP
Hi puppies,

I had just replied to another forumer who is also using a 3ft tank and most of your queries can be found there.

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.ph...T&f=5&t=2101&s=

The most obvious problem is your stock level of 15 goldfish in a 3 ft tank.Not more than 3 please.I think you just broke the record of have the most crowded tank.Your new tank has not cycled,the pH had crashed and ammonia had risen dramatically.

Spend some time reading the old threads for all the info,and also on fish quarantine.

Regards
Puppies
EVERYBODY WHO USE BIO-FILTRATION MUST BUFFER YOUR WATER. PERIOD

Hi, what is Bio- Filtration? And how do I know if I am using Bio- Filtration? And what is <<Buffer my Water>>?

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.ph...1561&hl=ammonia

Do a seach in ammonia, and linked to pH. Think its important to monitor pH.
How?
What to buy? What is the ideal pH? if not ideal, what should I do? beg2.gif

QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:19 am)
Hi puppies,

I had just replied to another forumer who is also using a 3ft tank and most of your queries can be found there.

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.ph...T&f=5&t=2101&s=

The most obvious problem is your stock level of 15 goldfish in a 3 ft tank.Not more than 3 please.I think you just broke the record of have the most crowded tank.Your new tank has not cycled,the pH had crashed and ammonia had risen dramatically.

Spend some time reading the old threads for all the info,and also on fish quarantine.

Regards

Puppies
Hi All;
Thanks.
Got the answer from the same thread as below.

Didnt know I have so much things to do...

One last thing:
1) What I need to buy? Kindly note item by item please...
2) How much are they? ex? cry.gif

QUOTE(Puppies @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:52 am)
EVERYBODY WHO USE BIO-FILTRATION MUST BUFFER YOUR WATER. PERIOD

Hi, what is Bio- Filtration? And how do I know if I am using Bio- Filtration? And what is <<Buffer my Water>>?

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.ph...1561&hl=ammonia

Do a seach in ammonia, and linked to pH. Think its important to monitor pH.
How?
What to buy? What is the ideal pH? if not ideal, what should I do?  beg2.gif

desireless
- Anti-Chlorine AND Anti-Chloramine solution. Genesis is good. $3.80 at Darwin
- Sodium Bicarbonate. Get from Phoon Huat very cheap. Big bottle $1 plus or $3 plus only (forgot).
- (Optional) Products with "Concentrated Beneficial Bacteria liquid" to hasten your cycling of tank. Very very exp.
Puppies
Hi Desireless;
I have read many of your threads and reples ...
I knew you are very well versed in the knowledge of Ammonia and pH controls.

1) How to test pH? (understand that its a pen like equipment?)
2) How to test ammonia? (no idea)

What equipments and cost how much?
And i uses Overhead Filter. Wat is Bio-filer? does it mean that only Bio filter needs to be water buffered?

QUOTE(desireless @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:15 pm)
- Sodium Bicarbonate. Get from Phoon Huat very cheap. Big bottle $1 plus or $3 plus only.
- (Optional) Products with "Concentrated Beneficial Bacteria liquid" to hasten your cycling of tank. Very very exp.

desireless
For pH yes, best to buy a Test Pen. Result is almost instant. I have not been using it for a very long time, ever since I started buffering my water. But it is still good to have one handy. It is quite ex... about $40 for a cheap one. But it is worthy of the money spent.

For Ammonia, you can buy a test kit or you can alternatively go for the cartoonic "Ammonia Alert" by Seachem. About $8.90 from Darwin, $9 from PetMart. But again, once your tank is cycled, there is hardly any need for this because it will always be yellow(safe) colour.
mrchoco
15 goldfish in a 3 feet tank?
Watch your nitrates.
Severly Overstocked
Seacucumber
QUOTE(Puppies @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:21 pm)
Hi Desireless;
I have read many of your threads and reples ...
I knew you are very well versed in the knowledge of Ammonia and pH controls.

hysterical.gif

better than me....
CP
QUOTE(Seacucumber @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 5:36 pm)
hysterical.gif

better than me....

He's not bad la...
Puppies
Huh?
Nitrates?
What nitrates?
How to monitor???

Desireless;
Can re-advice?
Why the test kits are optional when buffering water? How do we know that the pH and ammonia are always in safe zone?

It seems to you that buffering is a standard process...
Can you advice the process as well? When shall we perform this?

QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 5:46 pm)
He's not bad la...

nobnoba
Puppies,
you need to read and read and read and read this forum, and FAST!!! all your questions are standard questions which answers can be found very easily in this forum.
To make your life easier here is your reading list:(search on the following topic)
1. Ammonia!!
2. Nitrites
3. Nitrates
4. PH

Read them in that particular order and biofiltration is a process that involves number 1-3
CyberET
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Wed, 23 Feb 2005 9:12 pm)

hehehehe.. a single sucker can handle my 4ton pond.. what do u think? grow until the size of my biggest koi.. 50cm tongue.gif
CP
QUOTE(CyberET @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 8:32 pm)
hehehehe.. a single sucker can handle my 4ton pond.. what do u think? grow until the size of my biggest koi.. 50cm tongue.gif

Ya,not surprising.
For my case a 2 inch pleco is doing the job for my 7 footer.Problem is most of them when they grow larger tends to bully the goldfishes so when that happens I just discard them and replace with a new smaller one. tongue.gif
white horse T1
QUOTE(desireless @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:15 pm)
-

bro,
i ve one strange death just today after a water change on sat.
fishes all grasping for air on sunday and monday, but tot they are hungry.
similar to last time when i was away for 3 days. the only same action i did was dose with 30 drops of genesis........in abt 100 litres of water.
and in green water.

my immediate action save 2 fishes but one died.

could it be overdose of genesis??
mountain
is it a new bottle? if not could be your fresh water is contaminated. i.e. soap. it happened to old man once ..
Puppies
Hi experts;
Just done something to my tank and fishes.
Got the below item:

IPB Image

Looks like small bits of charcoal. But however, not active charcoal. Stated at the box <<Ammonia --> 0>> Is this all that i need to do to remove Ammonia? 0 Ammonia = everything ok? So simple?

Do i need anything to stabilise pH?
Sorry, please teach...

QUOTE(mountain @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:34 pm)
is it a new bottle? if not could be your fresh water is contaminated. i.e. soap. it happened to old man once ..

Seacucumber
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 5:46 pm)
He's not bad la...

he's good....
i suaning him mah....
kekekekeke japanese master...
Ken Ichiro....
Puppies
IPB Image

IPB Image
Dear All;
My tank...
Feel free to comment...

QUOTE(Seacucumber @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:01 pm)
he's good....
i suaning him mah....
kekekekeke japanese master...
Ken Ichiro....

desireless
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:27 pm)
bro,
i ve one strange death just today after a water change on sat.
fishes all grasping for air on sunday and monday, but tot they are hungry.
similar to last time when i was away for 3 days.  the only same action i did was dose with 30 drops of genesis........in abt 100 litres of water. 
and in green water.

my immediate action save 2 fishes but one died.

could it be overdose of genesis??

Quite unlikely Genesis leh... I usually use one drop of Genesis per litre --> Kiasu. So far my fishes still ok.

When you see your fishes gasping for air, there's somethng quite wrong with the water. Did you have a pH crash? Got buffer or not?
desireless
QUOTE(Puppies @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 6:15 pm)
Huh?
Nitrates?
What nitrates?
How to monitor???

Desireless;
Can re-advice?
Why the test kits are optional when buffering water? How do we know that the pH and ammonia are always in safe zone?

It seems to you that buffering is a standard process...
Can you advice the process as well? When shall we perform this?

Yo Puppies, have a read on the Nitrogen Cycle here:
http://puffernet.tripod.com/nitrogencycle.html
http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

To put in simple terms, a cycled tank should be able to do this:

Ammonia (from fish) --> Nitrites --> Nitrates

The arrows represent the work of the Beneficial Bacteria (BB). 1st arrow is the Nitrosomonas Bacteria that converts ammonia to Nitrites. 2nd arrow is Nitrobacter Bacteria converting Nitrites to Nitrates. The end product of the Nitrogen cycle is always Nitrates.
CP
QUOTE(Puppies @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:08 pm)
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentDear All;
My tank...
Feel free to comment...

I thot you said you dont have any gravels?
Puppies
Oh god;
Did i misunderstand?
Isnt gravels = sand?

Mine's pebbles. Large ones.
I will always remove all during water change knowing the consequences...

I am now reading the nitrates... nitrites... blah blah blah....

Hard to comprehend lah.... how?

QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:22 pm)
I thot you said you dont have any gravels?

CP
QUOTE(Puppies @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:46 pm)
Hi experts;
Just done something to my tank and fishes.
Got the below item:
Click to view attachment
Looks like small bits of charcoal. But however, not active charcoal. Stated at the box <<Ammonia --> 0>> Is this all that i need to do to remove Ammonia? 0 Ammonia = everything ok? So simple?

Sorry, please teach...

Not so simple.I have not used this Ocean Free thing,but I think these are zeolites.A waste of money,actually.They will adsorb ammonia,but once their capacity is reached it will no longer function,and you have to re-charge them.Worse,if you add salt to your tank as advised by many LFS owners,the ammonia will be leached back out!
I have 5kg of good quality zeolites sitting in my store room,give away also nobody wants.

I think you should not try to rush things and anyhow listen and anyhow buy things,be patient and read and understand more.You will get confused taking advise from everywhere especially LFS owners.

For your present setup shown it is advisable that you:
remove the gravels

You MUST:
Reduce the no. of fish

All you need is:
1)anti chlorine/chloramine for use during water change
2)pH buffers eg baking soda
3)maybe some ceramic or sinster glass for cultivating beneficial bacteria(place them in the OHF)

That all.Do that first then slowly read thru the topics.You will understand later.

Regards
Puppies
Thanks.
for 1) Anti-Chrorine/ Anti Chromaine... think I ill get a bottle of Interpret ? (forgotten the number) I saw it in the shop just now. Hope thats ok...
for 2) Where to get baking soda? Provision shops? What must I tell them? How do they look like? and do the Baking Soda colors the Water? When must I use them?
for 3) Ceramics? You mean those cylindical white little tunnels? But I just bought the above,,, can i use this for a few months first? Or i should throw away this?

QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:41 pm)
Not so simple.I have not used this Ocean Free thing,but I think these are zeolites.A waste of money,actually.They will adsorb ammonia,but once their capacity is reached it will no longer function,and you have to re-charge them.Worse,if you add salt to your tank as advised by many LFS owners,the ammonia will be leached back out!
I have 5kg of good quality zeolites sitting in my store room,give away also nobody wants.

I think you should not try to rush things and anyhow listen and anyhow buy things,be patient and read and understand more.You will get confused taking advise from everywhere especially LFS owners.

For your present setup shown it is advisable that you:
remove the gravels

You MUST:
Reduce the no. of fish

All you need is:
1)anti chlorine/chloramine for use during water change
2)pH buffers  eg baking soda
3)maybe some ceramic or sinster glass for cultivating beneficial bacteria(place them in the OHF)
That all.Do that first then slowly read thru the topics.You will understand later.
Regards

CP
Oops,I forgot.
pH test pen.Monitor the pH levels for the first few weeks and once you get the hang of it and know the pH levels before and after water change you can do without it.

You stay in Woodlands,drop by I lend you mine.But pls return. biggrin.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(Puppies @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:46 pm)

Sorry, please teach...

Nice puppy ... lfs love u deep deep. Spend more !

Please read and understand what u are about to commit before rushing out to spend.

The only thing u need to spend now is Time.
Puppies
I feel that I am so stupid...
cry.gif

QUOTE(The Matrix @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:56 pm)
Nice puppy ... lfs love u deep deep. Spend more !

Please read and understand what u are about to commit before rushing out to spend.

The only thing u need to spend now is Time.

desireless
QUOTE(Puppies @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:25 pm)
Oh god;
Did i misunderstand?
Isnt gravels = sand?

Mine's pebbles. Large ones.
I will always remove all during water change knowing the consequences...

I am now reading the nitrates... nitrites... blah blah blah....

Hard to comprehend lah.... how?

Very easy to understand one.. You no need to know much about the indiviudual terms in the Nitrogen Cycle. Just know how the overall nitrogen cycle works. The important thing is how to manage your tank to be ideal for your fishes. Your tank is just too over-stocked.
desireless
QUOTE(Puppies @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:59 pm)
I feel that I am so stupid...
cry.gif

Just read read and read. Like Nobnoba said.. most of your question has been dealt with before. After reading the past discussions, if there's anything unclear, then you can ask us again.
white horse T1
QUOTE(desireless @ Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:12 pm)
Quite unlikely Genesis leh... I usually use one drop of Genesis per litre --> Kiasu. So far my fishes still ok.

When you see your fishes gasping for air, there's somethng quite wrong with the water. Did you have a pH crash? Got buffer or not?

cannot be PH crash. i always dose with sodium bicarbonate during wc
this is a new genesis bottle used twice. i switch to nurafin now.....
the consolation is that the thai stunt one is the casualty, yeepee got excuse to buy one alr.
Puppies
Hi ;
According to advice;
1) I had a Anti chlorine and chromaine when i start off this hobby.
2) Bought the Round cylindrical ceramics and put in my OHF already.

Mext issue: pH!
Understand that pH had got nothing to do with the ammonia/ nitrire/ nitrate cycles (correct me if i am wrong)... but how do i know my pH is correct and stable? Can I just buy something to let me control the pH rather than getting a test kit?

QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Wed, 02 Mar 2005 8:55 am)
cannot be PH crash.  i always dose with sodium bicarbonate during wc
this is a new genesis bottle used twice.  i switch to nurafin now.....
the consolation is that the thai stunt one is the casualty, yeepee got excuse to buy one alr.

Puppies
Hi;
Understand to increase/ stabilise pH is to use baking soda...?
But where to buy? provision shop?
How to order?
"Auntie, soda fen yi bao?"

Is it powder? liquid?
Does it colors water?
How I know when to add and when not to add?
how much to add for a 3 feet tank?
CyberET
soda fen is baking powder wor?
baking soda is different from baking powder

yala yala.. tongue.gif
Puppies
Then how to order?
Usually the aunties in provision shop are chinese.
What is chinese term for Baking Soda?

Any brands to look out?
Does it colors water?
when to add?
Please help..
I am getting it later in the afternoon~...sad.gif

QUOTE(CyberET @ Thu, 03 Mar 2005 9:07 am)

yala yala.. tongue.gif

The Matrix
QUOTE(CyberET @ Thu, 03 Mar 2005 9:07 am)

yala yala.. tongue.gif

su da fen 苏打粉 is the soda lor. not the baking powder lah. bash.gif

puppy, not every provision shop selling hor. most are in small bottle. do go to Phoon Huat, the local bakery distributor. They have a lot of outlets near several MRT or housing estate. I am not too sure woodlands got a outlet but cpiw could help you out.

there are a lot of info about soda in this forum. all you need is a search ...
CP
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu, 03 Mar 2005 9:44 am)
. I am not too sure woodlands got a outlet but cpiw could help you out.

Er........I dont buffer with baking soda.Never bought before.I use lots of coral chips and oyster shells since I have the space to house them in my gigantic filter.

Puppies,but I can lend you pH test pen and I also have bacteria culture to kickstart your cycle if you want.
CyberET
oops blush.gif
desireless
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Thu, 03 Mar 2005 9:52 am)
Er........I dont buffer with baking soda.Never bought before.I use lots of coral chips and oyster shells since I have the space to house them in my gigantic filter.

Puppies,but I can lend you pH test pen and I also have bacteria culture to kickstart your cycle if you want.

Sodium Bicarbonate is Baking Soda. It is different from baking powder.
IPB Image

It creates a "pH buffer" in your water... meaning it "locks your pH" so that the pH do not swing so easily

cpiw... rather than locking your pH, coral chips and shells brings your pH up. So be careful about that.
Puppies
Loicks pH?
then i must ensure my pH is at a suitable reading before locking right?
If not suitable, then need to adjust rite?
So how to adjust since its locked?

I saw some medicines in aquarium shops...got <<pH UP>> and <<pH Down>>
Do i have to buy both types?
pengsan....

How do you guys do to maintain pH?
Help please... I am knocking off at 1730hrs to buy whatever you guys recommend and go home and pour...

QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 03 Mar 2005 3:46 pm)
Sodium Bicarbonate is Baking Soda. It is different from baking powder.
Click to view attachment

It creates a "pH buffer" in your water... meaning it "locks your pH" so that the pH do not swing so easily

cpiw... rather than locking your pH, coral chips and shells brings your pH up. So be careful about that.

CP

Roger.
I cant confirm,but there is a difference using coral chips and oyster shell.
Coral chips will continuosly raise the pH over time to level 8 or 9 if you do not perform water changes.
Oyster shells on the other hand is said to have a saturation point of about pH 7.5; that means if the pH is higher than that the shells will not dissolve further to bring up the pH.
I have one compartment coral chips and 2 compartment oyster shells.My purpose is not to bring up the pH but rather prevent the pH from dropping.I guess with 80% weekly water changes these items will have insufficient time to raise pH to very high levels.
My method is not a recommended one for most people,as you need lots of space to house the shells.
From my observations when I measure the pH levels weekly previously (only do it once in a blue moon now),the pH level will increase by 0.2 or 0.3 over a period of 1 week.
So suppose my tap water is 7.5 the pH will be about 7.8 before I perform the next water change.
CP
QUOTE(Puppies @ Thu, 03 Mar 2005 4:00 pm)

I saw some medicines in aquarium shops...got <<pH UP>> and <<pH Down>>
Do i have to buy both types?
pengsan....

No need, no need!!
All that you need is already mentioned by Desireless an myself earlier.
Our tap water ranges from pH 7 to 8,suitable for goldfish.Just go get the baking soda to buffer the water,thats all.
Puppies
Ok, Thanks.
So I will be getting from Sembawang later... found their website and located their locations in singapore.

So when do I need to pour in the Baking Soda? Every day? Every water change?
or how frequent?

And wats the amount to put for a 3 feet tank?
Sorry... kindly teach...

QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Thu, 03 Mar 2005 4:30 pm)
No need, no need!!
All that you need is already mentioned by Desireless an myself earlier.
Our tap water ranges from pH 7 to 8,suitable for goldfish.Just go get the baking soda to buffer the water,thats all.

Puppies
One more thing...
Since water from tap is 7 to 8 pH... which is good,.,.
What causes it to fluctuates?
The Matrix

Buffer is not Lock. It never locks. It only create a temporary capacity.

QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Thu, 03 Mar 2005 4:10 pm)
My method is not a recommended one for most people,as you need lots of space to house the shells.

cpiw, your method is a good recommendation but not many people can have the luxury of having large filtration compartment.
Puppies
QUOTE(Puppies @ Thu, 03 Mar 2005 5:15 pm)
Ok, Thanks.
So I will be getting from Sembawang later... found their website and located their locations in singapore.

So when do I need to pour in the Baking Soda? Every day? Every water change?
or how frequent?

And wats the amount to put for a 3 feet tank?
Sorry... kindly teach...

Can someone advice on the above?
Leaving office once i get the reply and OFF to sembawang~
desireless
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu, 03 Mar 2005 5:56 pm)
Buffer is not Lock. It never locks. It only create a temporary capacity.
cpiw, your method is a good recommendation but not many people can have the luxury of having large filtration compartment.

Do you have to go through all these "word scruntinizing"?

The word "lock" is easy to understand. Especially for a newbie. You can throw in all the scary scientic terms for all you want and guess what strange ways some newbies will understand them as?
desireless
QUOTE(Puppies @ Thu, 03 Mar 2005 5:58 pm)
Can someone advice on the above?
Leaving office once i get the reply and OFF to sembawang~

It is all in the "PH Buffer" thread:
http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1561

I have a post on this:
http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.ph...indpost&p=24185

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.ph...indpost&p=24309
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.