Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Preferred Gender Of Goldfish
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
CP
Good evening to all.
Just wondering if there is a preference over the gender of the goldfish.
desireless
It doesn't matter to me.

I think some people would prefer male because female fishes tend to spawn often and fouls up the water.
CP
Ya,most people I met prefer male for the same reason.

Some say males tend to have better colouration,whereas females will grow bigger than males.Wonder if there is any truth.
mountain
Male fish and female fish tummy shape is different, if i have strong perference over a lower ranchu shape, i would go for a male fish.
goldrush
Prefer a male because females tend to be prone to spawn binding and out of shape because of egg synthesis.Because of eggs unable to be shed,internal bacterial infection are my main concern.I'm sure bros here have seen this esp with anal swelling and edematous bloating with resultant smelly death(Pl do not confuse this with dropsy)

goldrush
The Matrix
next time u see lfs put male fish more expensive than female liao. shiok.gif

if u see a really nice fish but a female, will buy or not leh ?

For me , just buy. why bother so much. i just squeeze out those eggs and feed turtles.
petlover
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Wed, 09 Mar 2005 1:16 pm)
i just squeeze out those eggs and feed turtles.

yee....you very disgusting leh! hmm.gif
goldrush
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Wed, 09 Mar 2005 1:16 pm)
next time u see lfs put male fish more expensive than female liao.  shiok.gif

if u see a really nice fish but a female, will buy or not leh ?

For me , just buy. why bother so much. i just squeeze out those eggs and feed turtles.

:sssh :sssh :sssh
Better not write too much or price shoot up liao
Female ones become BOH LANG BUAY

wleow.gif wleow.gif wleow.gif wleow.gif
desireless
All the more must write.... Then I can buy all the nice but unwanted females biggrin.gif
CP
Only 11 voted so far,I hope more people can cast their votes.

Here is a chance to cast votes,at General Elections chances are you dont need to vote.

Anyway,for the record,for kois (sorry ah,folks,always talk koi),the females commands a premium over the male.
goldrush
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Wed, 09 Mar 2005 3:31 pm)
Only 11 voted so far,I hope more people can cast their votes.

Here is a chance to cast votes,at General Elections chances are you dont need to vote.

Anyway,for the record,for kois (sorry ah,folks,always talk koi),the females commands a premium over the male.

Champions in all larger bu(size)inevitably female as they have better volume and body conformation unlike male ones usually san pee pah.However male wins more of baby and young champion category as they have better finish and color at that age.As for goldfish no such classification but SIZE does matter!

goldrush
CP
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:05 pm)
Some say males tend to have better colouration,whereas females will grow bigger than males.Wonder if there is any truth.

So I quote myself again, and apparently the above statement is true for koi.

Is it applicable to goldfish?

If it is applicable to goldfish and if indeed size does matter,shouldn't we be hunting for females instead?
desireless
I think goldrush had meant length. Female goldfish do sometimes appear "fatter" meaning more mass at the belly. I enjoy looking at female fishes, because they look rounder and cuter at times.
sheringam
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 09 Mar 2005 9:39 am)
Prefer a male because females tend  to be prone to spawn binding and out of shape because of egg synthesis.Because of eggs unable to be shed,internal bacterial infection are my main concern.I'm sure bros here have seen this  esp with anal swelling and edematous bloating with resultant smelly death(Pl do not confuse this  with dropsy)

goldrush

i have one female ranchu that's unable to release its shed and stomach bloated. how can i save it? cry.gif

i tried hand spawn the eggs but unsuccessful, maybe i do not do it in the right way

can someone pls teach me? cry.gif
goldrush
QUOTE(sheringam @ Wed, 09 Mar 2005 10:21 pm)
i have one female ranchu that's unable to release its shed and stomach bloated. how can i save it?  cry.gif 

i tried hand spawn the eggs but unsuccessful, maybe i do not do it in the right way

can someone pls teach me?  cry.gif

Sorry Sheringham

Pls post at the correct thread and your problem had been dealt with under the topic
TREATMENT FOR CONGESTED EGGS (under treatment and ailments)

Regards

goldrush
CP
Hi Sheringham,

Here:
http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2080
Sabine
If I bought another fish it would be a female, simply because I only have one female ranchu, but 3 males. Male fish by far outnumber females in other peoples tanks too. I read somewhere (??) that the ratio of male to female fry depends on the water temperatur between spawning and hatching. Can anybody here confirm this?
desireless
Temperature Dependent Sex Determination (TSD) applies only to certain species of REPTILES. For such species, the sex of the hatchlings is decided by the temperature, rather than genetics. Nile Crocodiles and certain tortise species are some examples. When you breed these reptile pets, the temperature during egg incubation is of great importance.

TSD is not known to apply to other existing animal classifications like fish.

Temperature will decide how fast your fry hatch though
goldrush
Well I'm not too sure about goldish but sex determination in some fishes is more than just genetically determined.Enviromental which include temperature is one of such factors.Here is a article on danio...aka zebra fish and an interesting write-up on sex determination in some fishes,

Note that the incubation temperature has some influence on the percentage of gender determination.Higher temp translate higher prportion of male hatching.Maybe you can experiment on this aspect to enhance your preferred sex

Here the article

http://www.rbej.com/content/3/1/63#IDAUHLYF
desireless
Zebrafish should be one of the rare few isolated cases.

Sex of goldfish (evolution of common carp) is determined by the sex chromosome.
http://www.edpsciences.org/articles/alr/pd...ldfish%20sex%22
Sabine
Haven't been online much lately, sorry for my late response.
Thank you for your replies and the links - complicated material!
In your experience, is the ratio of males to females in goldfish about 50/50?
i_wan
I prefer the female because it looks fat rounded body than the male and I think it is cute when the female swim. Also i found out that the male is more agressive to hurt the other fish than the female one, at least what i've seen so far... Is it true!? just to make sure...
Dick Benbow
This has been a very interesting post. I never gave it any thought about trying to determine the sex and what advantages, disadvantages each bring, so it made me rethink some things.

In Koi females get bigger physically, have better body shape and take longer to develop color wise. If fed too high a % of protein food in the winter when they should be reabsorbing the protein from the eggs and if they are not spawned the next season can cause death by egg impaction. I do try and find females if possible with koi and i am very good about making sure they experience winter with lower temperatures and minimal feeding. I have a heater on my pond and hold it at 52-55 for a minimum of several months at which time I feed cooked barley and wheatgerm pellets about every third day. I have been very fortunate
to not have impaction problems for decades. I just wonder if something similar should be experienced with goldfish. What are the thoughts here of seasoned keepers? Similar or different. Either way it looks like I'm gonna learn. Hopefully i get my 150 gallon aquarium this weekend to set up. yes.gif
Wilson
QUOTE(CP @ Tue, 08 Mar 2005 9:54 pm) *

Good evening to all.
Just wondering if there is a preference over the gender of the goldfish.

I'm not really that specific about the gender, body form, pattern and color is more important although different individuals have different preferences. oranda.gif
churico4ever
Hi to All,
I prefer male... why?
because the dominat traits of a fish comes from the blood or the genes of the male more than the female... thats why my old mentor says...

irissomnus
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 09 Mar 2005 9:39 am) *

Prefer a male because females tend to be prone to spawn binding and out of shape because of egg synthesis.Because of eggs unable to be shed,internal bacterial infection are my main concern.I'm sure bros here have seen this esp with anal swelling and edematous bloating with resultant smelly death(Pl do not confuse this with dropsy)

goldrush

unsure.gif what do you mean by egg "systhesis". and how would you know if they have these anal swelling and edematous bloating? what's edematous...? I have a strong feeling 2 out of 4 of my fishes are females (through genital observation and comparison) and I have only seen one time egg spawn in the beginning when I got them. Is it normal to spawn once only? I've had them for almost 2 years now...

irissomnus
sengkang
it doesn't matter to me whether the goldfish is male or female as long as the goldfish is rotund and cute and most of all, having unique colour pigment.
ryukin88
Since no need to pay dowry for female or prepare bride's price for males to mate ....both can do lah...no preference..haha

jimicap
QUOTE(sheringam @ Wed, 09 Mar 2005 7:21 am) *

i have one female ranchu that's unable to release its shed and stomach bloated. how can i save it? cry.gif

can someone pls teach me? cry.gif

get a strong healthy male watch each morning for chasing then help by hand spawn it's easy if fish is able eggs start to release just by netting
goldenswimmers
I go by quality of the fish not the sex but I have found more males than females and because I breed ranchu I look for a good looking female! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.