Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cultivate Beneficial Bacteria
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
GFSLAVE
Just bought a 2 ft OHF which has 3 compartments. Wonder what medium should I put in order to cultivate beneficial bacteria.

rolleyes.gif
CP
I supposed that its a 3 tier type,water fed in to the top tier and "rains" down thru 2nd and 3rd.

Upper most tier shd be filter mats.Likely to be replaced weekly.Get a 'rain bar' to spread water over the length of the OHF.

Middle tier can use ceramics (cheaper) or 'Bio Home' sinster glass (more expensive).

Last tier can be the same as middle tier,but I suggest that you put plastic bio balls which serves the same purpose but looks cool and impress your guests. smile.gif
GFSLAVE
Thanks cpiw2002. peace.gif

I'm going to fill the box as follows:

1st tier - 2 layer of filter mats (wool)
2nd tier - ceramic balls
3rd tier - bio balls

Any comments ?
How often do i need to wash those medium ?

Apart from this, I'm currently using Easy-Life fluid filter during WC and will this product kills those BB ? blush.gif
fish_dream88
If u wanna mak d bacteria grow fast...u can buy one kind of liquid 2 mak it grow more faster .....
CP
QUOTE(GFSLAVE @ Fri, 11 Mar 2005 6:24 pm)
Thanks cpiw2002.  peace.gif

I'm going to fill the box as follows:

1st tier - 2 layer of filter mats (wool)
2nd tier - ceramic balls
3rd tier - bio balls

Any comments ?
How often do i need to wash those medium ?

Apart from this, I'm currently using Easy-Life fluid filter during WC and will this product kills those BB ?  blush.gif

Don't mention.

There is no need to wash the medium as the scums will be trapped by the filter mat.Just replace the filter mat with new ones.Washing the medium in tap water will kill BBs.

Never heard of Easy-Life fluid filter so can't comment on that.

Personally I feel that need not get those bacteria fluid or bacteria culture unless you want immediate tank cycling.Just let it cycle naturally but initial fish stock has to be LOW.Takes about a month for cycle to complete.
CyberET
don't bother using bottled bacteria, waste of money.
don't use bioballs, not effective, maybe you wanna use oyster shells in yr 3rd tier for buffering.
wash the first layer depending on how fast it gets clogged.
desireless
Alternatively, you can do it the fishless way.

Buffer your water heavily and add Ammonia Powder. Your filter should be cycled in about one week's time. You'll need Seachem ammonia tester to judge when your filter is ready.
GFSLAVE
QUOTE(CyberET @ Fri, 11 Mar 2005 8:30 pm)
don't bother using bottled bacteria, waste of money.
don't use bioballs, not effective, maybe you wanna use oyster shells in yr 3rd tier for buffering.
wash the first layer depending on how fast it gets clogged.

Ar !! Why are bioballs not effective ? Where can I get oyster shells (from LFS) ??
GFSLAVE
QUOTE(desireless @ Fri, 11 Mar 2005 9:29 pm)
Alternatively, you can do it the fishless way.

Buffer your water heavily and add Ammonia Powder. Your filter should be cycled in about one week's time. You'll need Seachem ammonia tester to judge when your filter is ready.

How much BS to add for 95% water change. (for my 2ft tank - 2x1x1) ?

If I change water regularly (once a week), do i still need ammonia powder and test kit ? Since pH is the most important factor ... should I buy pH tester instead of ammonia tester ? tongue.gif
CP
QUOTE(GFSLAVE @ Sat, 12 Mar 2005 7:30 am)
Ar !! Why are bioballs not effective ? Where can I get oyster shells (from LFS) ??

In my opinion bioballs are also a good medium to cultivate BB due to the high DO available when water is forced to trickle thru it and surface contact with air is maximised.It may not house as much bacteria as ceramics or sinster but like I said earlier it gives the filter a 'cool look'.

I dont think you will have space in a 2ft OHF to house oyster shells.If you want to buffer water using OHF,suggest you use coral chips instead.

So another alternative may be ceramics in 2nd tier and coral chips in 3rd tier, OR if you stiil like the idea of bioballs you can mix the ceramics and chips in the 2nd tier and bio balls in 3rd tier.
CP
QUOTE(GFSLAVE @ Sat, 12 Mar 2005 7:53 am)
How much BS to add for 95% water change. (for my 2ft tank - 2x1x1) ?

If I change water regularly (once a week), do i still need ammonia powder and test kit ? Since pH is the most important factor ... should I buy pH tester instead of ammonia tester ?  tongue.gif

Pls read the thread on "pH buffer".

You dont need ammonia powder or tester if your tank is cycled.

In a cycled tank,all you need is pH tester to monitor pH and nitrates test kit.
goldrush
Hi bro

That is one of the most difficult question to answer as many well meaning bros here would like to help you solve your query.Ultimately you have to decide on the media most suitable and your budget without much loss in efficacy.
Let's divide the three compartmnet into Mechanical,Biological and finally Chemical(optional) to help you on your path

Mechanical
As cpiw has pointed filter mat,cotton pads(fish use ones)are excellent first layered filtration media tp extract large solids(feces or uneaten food).These are cheap easily washed and replace with ease.So not much a problem

Biological
Now this is the breathing and deamination center(crucial nitrogen cycle activity) and perhaps the most important compartment to ponder.Whether it is bioballs,sintered glass or even plastic rollers,the aim is to get the most surface areas for the BB to adhere and proliferate to perform their duties.Each has its pro and cons.Things to ponder include the cost,their combine weight(coralschip are heavy),bulkiness(oystershell are space consuming)and overall efficiency.Think of long term gain rather short sighted convenience .Perhaps that will help your decision

Chemical Filtration
This is an optional method but if meticulously incorporated into any filtration system will benefit any fish keeping.The likes of activated carbon and zeolites are media of choice and they complement each other to serve and attain exceptional water quality and lessen your load to achieve a stable and healthy environment

So there are no hard and fast rules to achieve your ultimate dream and you are never spoit for choice in the number of media available in the market.Learn of the basics and weigh them against your budget and aspiration to derive your answer.There is no wrong or right to this question.That's why by far this is my most difficult question to answer

regards

goldrush

good.gif good.gif good.gif
CP
QUOTE(goldrush @ Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:42 pm)
Hi bro

.........cotton pads(fish use ones)are............

regards
goldrush

Ha ha ha had to read the post twice before understanding what he meant.
GFSLAVE
Thanks bros for all these inputs. salute.gif

Any chances of killing those BBs when I did a 100% water change ? rusure.gif
CP
If the new water is dechlorinated its OK.
ranchu8
May I ask whether the bio rings BBs need new scum continually to work? If the mechanical filter is very efficient, there may not be any scum? Also, would too much scum clog off the pores and affect BBs?

Thanks. rolleyes.gif
CP
QUOTE(ranchu8 @ Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:15 pm)
May I ask whether the bio rings BBs need new scum continually to work? If the mechanical filter is very efficient, there may not be any scum? Also, would too much scum clog off the pores and affect BBs?

Thanks. rolleyes.gif

BBs dont need the scums.They need ammonia,nitrites and oxygen.
GFSLAVE
Bro ..

I notice that some yellowish substance being slowly developed on the surface of my ceramic balls. It is ok to leave it alone or should i wash it away with dechlorinated water ? tongue.gif
CP
Leave it.
Show us a pic of your setup,pls. smile.gif
GFSLAVE
Tried a few times but not successful... encountered the following errors. Very strange, the picture size is only 454KB and currently I've 10mb Global space left. Any ideas ?

"The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments" blush.gif blush.gif
desireless
It's because your file size is too big. Try reducing it.

Read here for more info
GFSLAVE
QUOTE(desireless @ Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:10 am)
It's because your file size is too big. Try reducing it.

Read here for more info

Cool.. I like the s/w !! Thanks good_very.gif good_very.gif

Here it goes ... but don't think you all can see the yellowish substance in tier 2.

tier 1 --> filter mat
tier 2 --> ceramic balls (now turn a bit yellowish)
tier 3 --> bio balls on top of coral chips
CP
QUOTE(GFSLAVE @ Mon, 14 Mar 2005 9:37 am)
Cool.. I like the s/w !! Thanks  good_very.gif  good_very.gif

Here it goes ... but don't think you all can see the yellowish substance in tier 2.

tier 1 --> filter mat
tier 2 --> ceramic balls (now turn a bit yellowish)
tier 3 --> bio balls on top of coral chips

smile.gif smile.gif

Just to note.I presume the pump is new.The flow rate looks good now but this type of pump collects scum easily within the pipes and the impeller.If you find that the flow rate is lessened,dismatle the pump and thoroughly clean the inside of the pipes including the impellers.Recommend to clean it at least once a month.
GFSLAVE
Yes, is a new pump which came together with the 3 tier OH filter. I will watch out for the flow rate and only clean the those pipes when is needed.

So I presume that the yellowish substance on those ceramic balls are BBs which cleaning is not necessary right ?

I'm going to get a pH tester (pen form). Any recomendation on brand and also where to buy it. LFS location is not that important but most important is value for money. happydance.gif
mountain
QUOTE(GFSLAVE @ Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:01 pm)
So I presume that the yellowish substance on those ceramic balls are BBs which cleaning is not necessary right ?

no they are NOT beneficial baterias .. they cannot be seen by the naked eyes.

those are actually debris/decomposed organic items (such as poos/food) that broken into tiny bits and gets clogged up over the pores of the rings. overtime, if you do not wash the ceramic rings, they will lost their efficiency and soon after a while the whole colony can collapse.
GFSLAVE
Oic ... thanks for your info.

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.