Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Goldfish Newbie
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
Pages: 1, 2
felinefrend
Hi all,
I am a newbie on fishes in general - I never had fishes before - well, with exception of a betta and it commited sucide on me.

I am in love with Pearl Scale GFs! biggrin.gif LOVE LOVE them - big belly short fins shiok.gif

I currently have 1 that had recovered from Ick and bought 2 baby ones - no definate colors yet - yeah, cheapie ones 30cents.. as I am a newbie the chances of them dying on me is very very high. Maybe those that are not culled are sold to the LFS.

I had read thro the forums and noticed that all are goldfish connoisseurs beg2.gif so don't mind my cheap pearlscales gfs and my route of "keeping goldfish learning".

I keep them in my office a 12L tank (i know it is too small but I cannot have it too big in the office) and it has a heater to regulate at 25 degrees with a thermometer to ensure that, a airpump and a OH filter. Bare, no gravel, once a week 100% water change... now, 20-25% change every 2- 3 days (depending on the water condition).

I bought interpet gold Fish safe for mid-week to "freshen" up the goldfish water but have not started on that yet... Anyone tried this yet?? Any review? As right now, it is just Tetra AquaSafe and salt.

The baby pearlscales - one in white and another in blackish copper ? I suspect it will not remain black, it will eventually turn gold biggrin.gif I am just basking in the new goldfish owner joy of watching their fishes swimming in the water and waiting for it to change its color. - just dont mind me. wink.gif

Just wanted to intro ... "Hello!" and yes, I have cats (regarding my nick).
later....
desireless
Halo felinefrend hi.gif

It is good to be seeing new members coming in and posting.

There are many many Pearlscales connoisseurs here too. Long long ago, there used to be a "PS competition" here... but it ended up non-conclusive blush.gif

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=949

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1019

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1032

What happened to these PS ah? Mine all died liao laugh.gif
The Matrix
mine har ... culled some, the largest one now about 4.5", some 4"+. kekekeke ... still small comparing to the largest i ever seen.

Feline, keep water as clean as possible. this variety of pearl is very sensitive to water condition. Starter already going for one of the toughest variety to play. Cheap becos keep on dying and getting sick.
desireless
Yeah.. PS is VERY VERY sensitive. Usually first to react when the water condition is not right.
CP
And the eyes can get dislodged too.

(Er.....I am serious,happened to my PS when I first started this hobby,one of the eyes dislodged)
desireless
Probably sucked out by other bigger fishes?

Anyway, PS can act as the "live tester"... You can determine the water condition by first observing the PS in your tank. biggrin.gif
felinefrend
QUOTE(desireless @ Mon, 14 Mar 2005 8:44 pm)
Halo felinefrend  hi.gif

It is good to be seeing new members coming in and posting.

There are many many Pearlscales connoisseurs here too. Long long ago, there used to be a "PS competition" here... but it ended up non-conclusive blush.gif

What happened to these PS ah? Mine all died liao  laugh.gif

yes, I read those posts and yeah... no news... biggrin.gif hahahaa
My first 2 also died... I went back in the middle of the night to check on them (they are kept in the office) and my security uncle told me.. "keep fish is like that one, die liow, buy somemore... like that then can learn how to keep fish" beg2.gif

Of cos lah... uncle like that say... how can I give up??? siaoleow.gif
felinefrend
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Mon, 14 Mar 2005 9:55 pm)
mine har ... culled some, the largest one now about 4.5", some 4"+. kekekeke ... still small comparing to the largest i ever seen.

Feline, keep water as clean as possible. this variety of pearl is very sensitive to water condition. Starter already going for one of the toughest variety to play. Cheap becos keep on dying and getting sick.

I never thought of keeping fishes... if not of pearlscale catching my eyes - belly big big fins small small cannot swim fast just bounce and bounce - hehehee Then I would never have kept fishes.

My baby PS are doing well, but nibbling on my bigger PS, I suspect my big PS still have some issues.. so fish her out and kept in separate tank... hopefully she will be better. The LFS uncle told me, if the fish is not well, the parasites will be on its body and it has proteins or produce proteins that is why other fishes will nibble on it - cheem,.. but I just separated it - into QT and salt and abit of melafix... very little.

ok - pray for me ok?
felinefrend
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:08 pm)

(Er.....I am serious,happened to my PS when I first started this hobby,one of the eyes dislodged)

I am noticing that on my bigger pearlscale... eyes are abit bulging.. but dunno if it is popping... bag.gif newbie lah... still looking and staring at it during lunch - good for my diet - see fish and be full liow.
desireless
QUOTE(felinefrend @ Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:34 pm)
I am noticing that on my bigger pearlscale... eyes are abit bulging.. but dunno if it is popping...  bag.gif newbie lah... still looking and staring at it during lunch - good for my diet  - see fish and be full liow.

Eyes Popping may be be an indication of internal bacteria infection already. If not treated, next thing you see are bubbles on the pearls.
jhansolo
Correct me if I'm wrong, but eye popping can be an indication that the fish is stunted.
desireless
Either way, it is not a good sign.

Can you see the transparent tissue of the eyes popping out?
felinefrend
QUOTE(desireless @ Tue, 15 Mar 2005 2:05 pm)
Either way, it is not a good sign.

Can you see the transparent tissue of the eyes popping out?

nope... it looks like it is pretty huge from top view ?? I also dunno how to explain... maybe i am worried over nothing....

The PS (bigger one) is so happy swimming around in the tank... I *swear* he loves bigger tanks! More active (IMO) and exploring the tank more - among the heater, air pump and the corners of the tank biggrin.gif It looks ok, the fins are normal, there were red streaks yesterday, today no more... yes, I almost do 75% - 100% water change daily.

Lugging the 12L tank to the ladies to change water is no joke.... damn heavy. blink.gif
CyberET
erm.. dunno le.. never really bother about them.. should be about 4inch plus liaoz.. culled quite a few.. recentely bought 3 more tiny ones..

anyway its best to do daily 100% change if you intend to use a small tank..
felinefrend
QUOTE(CyberET @ Tue, 15 Mar 2005 2:35 pm)
anyway its best to do daily 100% change if you intend to use a small tank..

yeah, i also think so... biggrin.gif My PS big one - very sweet no struggle when i catch her tongue.gif

Oh.. I dunno if it is a "he" or a "she" - sometimes I call her "she" sometimes a "he"....
CyberET
no struggle may not always be a good thing tongue.gif
felinefrend
QUOTE(CyberET @ Tue, 15 Mar 2005 4:55 pm)
no struggle may not always be a good thing tongue.gif

got struggle but limpy one... i observing her/him right now.... black baby PS is nibbling her/him... will see what happen tomorrow if not then separate the black baby.
felinefrend
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:08 pm)

just now at the LFS I saw a goldfish with one of the eye gone and another about to pop.... hmmz. my PS eyes are normal... not popping... so "safe"

now need to investigate why it is so limpy when i hold it.
ball
QUOTE(felinefrend @ Tue, 15 Mar 2005 3:47 pm)
yeah, i also think so...  biggrin.gif My PS big one - very sweet no struggle when i catch her tongue.gif

Oh.. I dunno if it is a "he" or a "she" - sometimes I call her "she" sometimes a "he"....

Base on my observation, normally female goldfish is more "tame" and easier to catch. I have a few butterfly goldfish oso very tame and just allow me to touch them. Of course, when try to hold it out of water, it will try to struggle. So I guess its no worry.
felinefrend
QUOTE(felinefrend @ Tue, 15 Mar 2005 9:59 pm)
got struggle but limpy one... i observing her/him right now.... black baby PS is nibbling her/him... will see what happen tomorrow if not then separate the black baby.

This morning came back... my PS big one side near the back,, the scales are gone.. one white patch! Kenna nibbled off by the black PS baby - !!!!! Poor PS no clothes no wear liow... bo cheng sar!

I took the blackish one out - that one is naughty,,, and continue the melafix treatment - today is 3rd day... tomorrow will 100% water change... and then observe again...

white baby is growing!!! Bigger!!! biggrin.gif
The Matrix
not usual behaviour of a pearl scale. u feed enough or not ?
felinefrend
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu, 17 Mar 2005 9:33 am)
not usual behaviour of a pearl scale. u feed enough or not ?

My gfs are in office. After 6 - 8pm, no more feeding... next day then continue feeding - alot leh.. baby ones got fed 3-4 times a day, small portions.
ie: flakes, pellets, peas, flakes.

My PS big one abit goon goon, don't look for food... so always miss out... either that he missed the feed cos he is too slow - big lah.. just bounce and bounce.
felinefrend
Just saw the vicious thread on the PS goldfish! OMG!!! U must be kidding... I noticed the white PS baby also missing some scales!!!!

Now in office I got 3 tanks - each with one goldfish! Machim I keep fighting fish!!! Black (turning goldish) is biting both Big PS and white PS. White PS bite the Big PS.. so all 3 got their HDB just different size flats!
felinefrend
I got a newbie question (pls don't "K" me ).

IF my PS is really always hungry and is looking for food... if I put a plant in there.. will it nibble it and leave my big PS and white PS in peace???

Yeah, the plant won't last long since I got no lights... but can change it out every 1-2 wks right.. and yes, QT the plants... correcto?

any comments?
CyberET
depends on what kinda plants, no guarantee either
CP
QUOTE(felinefrend @ Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:35 pm)
.........(pls don't "K" me ).

thinking.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(felinefrend @ Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:35 pm)
I got a newbie question (pls don't "K" me ).

IF my PS is really always hungry and is looking for food... if I put a plant in there.. will it nibble it and leave my big PS and white PS in peace???

Yeah, the plant won't last long since I got no lights... but can change it out every 1-2 wks right.. and yes, QT the plants... correcto?

any comments?

since u know plants dun last long ... a dying plant contaminate your water faster than the fish can poo ...

dun worry about fish hungry. goldfish where got not hungry one. eat until die type. so just increase your feeding a little and see how lor.
felinefrend
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:14 pm)
thinking.gif

blush.gif read other posts from other newbies... so fierce mah...
felinefrend
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:27 pm)
since u know plants dun last long ... a dying plant contaminate your water faster than the fish can poo ...

dun worry about fish hungry. goldfish where got not hungry one. eat until die type. so just increase your feeding a little and see how lor.

Miniture - Small tank - daily water change. (100%) Except on weekends (alternate day)
Small (12l) - alternate day water change. (100%)

Weekend only feed once, cos I go back to change water, at the same time feed them...
The Matrix
QUOTE(felinefrend @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:26 pm)
Miniture - Small tank - daily water change. (100%) Except on weekends (alternate day)

Weekend only feed once, cos I go back to change water, at the same time feed them...

wah seh ... your boss very good hor. u a biologist, aquarist or some scientist har ? working table all fish tanks liao.

erh ... or you the boss ?
GFSLAVE
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 1:08 pm)
wah seh ... your boss very good hor. u a biologist, aquarist or some scientist har ? working table all fish tanks liao.

Matrix,

I'm about to ask him the same question ... perhaps he owns one of the biggest LFS in town hysterical.gif
CP
QUOTE(GFSLAVE @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 1:52 pm)
I'm about to ask him the same question ... perhaps he owns one of the biggest LFS in town hysterical.gif

If you read the posts properly feline is a SHE.

No wonder got so many replies from the forum regulars. biggrin.gif
felinefrend
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 1:08 pm)

no lah, my desk is "L" shaped one mah... so the shorter side put fishtank lor - very small one lah - 1ft length is the largest tank. That's why i say minitured tank blush.gif smaller than 1ft ok?

My boss already suaned me... wahh later ask u to pay electricity bill arh tongue.gif
felinefrend
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 1:58 pm)
If you read the posts properly feline is a SHE.

No wonder got so many replies from the forum regulars. biggrin.gif

you are acute! Yes, I am FEMALE!! biggrin.gif hahahhaa
felinefrend
QUOTE(GFSLAVE @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 1:52 pm)
Matrix,

I'm about to ask her the same question ... perhaps she owns one of the biggest LFS in town hysterical.gif

correction : Girl lah! never have fishes before ... so cannot own LHS - cfm all die.

Change water in the morning - when I get into office, during lunch time - cos i usually skip lunch, before I go home.

Lunchtime: Feed GFs and monitor them lor... put my exercise book infront of the tank and pretend to be working but infact looking at my fishes... hahahaaa happydance.gif
jhansolo
QUOTE(felinefrend @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:26 pm)

I'm wondering why nobody tell you the fact, your tank is too small even for one. Their growth will be affected / stunted and the margin of error is very small.
But I must admire your desk size, my desk just fit computer, TV and one Stackable tray side-by-side.
GFSLAVE
Oops ... sorry ar !! blush-big.gif

Now we've to be more careful on what we say... Cannot anyhow xyz !! tongue.gif
felinefrend
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 2:44 pm)
I'm wondering why nobody tell you the fact, your tank is too small even for one.  Their growth will be affected / stunted and the margin of error is very small. 
But I must admire your desk size, my desk just fit computer, TV and one Stackable tray side-by-side.

I know my tanks are small, infact it is the largest in the office. My co-workers had packed all their 5 into the size of my mini-tank, with plants and pebbles.
My tank is empty with a water filter and heater LOL!

The largest of my goldfish is less than the size of 20cent. The other two are babies with no colors yet. And when they get bigger, I will move them home and YES, with a bigger tank - I promised!

My constraints are 1) Cats at home. 2) Have to be small as I am in my office & 1ft length is the largest I can handle at the moment.

No, I will not add anymore, these are all I am getting for office. Like what I had mentioned, I am learning to keep GFs - meaning: don't die on me. Growth, stunt etc, at the moment is not my main concern, keeping them alive is. I think most newbies are like me biggrin.gif

Sorry if my perspective is not similar as yours - as this is my 3rd week with fishes. 1st week both died as I had chosen a goldfish with a bad fin which spread to the 2nd and the 3rd goldfish (this is the current Big PS I have). Then 2nd week, goldfish kenna ick and now, goldfish with scales kenna bitten off....

So the first 2 weeks were dealing with illness and death - tramatised manz! So I am really paranoid with them dying on me.

Want to know something, behind me got a small file cabinet, so it makes a "U" JEALous??!!?? biggrin.gif
felinefrend
QUOTE(GFSLAVE @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 2:52 pm)
Oops ... sorry ar !! blush-big.gif

Now we've to be more careful on what we say... Cannot anyhow xyz !!  tongue.gif

U can continue with XY and Z, I don't mind, am working in a male dominant industry and they don't mind their Ps and Qs. Used to it liow ;)
goldrush
Wah very long no girl liao :

tada.gif tada.gif

welcome welcome

pearlscale catwoman

hi.gif hi.gif

goldrush
felinefrend
QUOTE(goldrush @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 3:23 pm)
Wah very long no girl liao :

tada.gif  tada.gif

welcome welcome

pearlscale catwoman

hi.gif  hi.gif

goldrush

So sweet hi.gif Thank you for the welcome happy.gif:
jhansolo
QUOTE(felinefrend @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 3:16 pm)
The largest of my goldfish is less than the size of 20cent. The other two are babies with no colors yet.

Actually that size is the hardest.

Like what I had mentioned, I am learning to keep GFs - meaning: don't die on me. Growth, stunt etc, at the moment is not my main concern, keeping them alive is.  I think most newbies are like me biggrin.gif

I'm a newbie too

Sorry if my perspective is not similar as yours - as this is my 3rd week with fishes. 1st week both died as I had chosen a goldfish with a bad fin which spread to the 2nd and the 3rd goldfish (this is the current Big PS I have). Then 2nd week, goldfish kenna ick and now, goldfish with scales kenna bitten off....

So the first 2 weeks were dealing with illness and death - tramatised manz!  So I am really paranoid with them dying on me. 

No that is not my intention to impose my perspective on you, my tank is also overstocked. Just explaining to you that a lot of the problems you are facing is directly related to the size of the tank. I do know what it was like when fish die on me 2 years ago, I was so sad that my wife picked a big fight and made me threw my tank away.

Want to know something, behind me got a small file cabinet, so it makes a "U"  JEALous??!!??  biggrin.gif

You got the space and yes you are making me jealous.
The Matrix
erh ... a female specimen, goldfish starter and a cat lover .... hmmmm something we dun usually "meow" about ... oops ...

and your table is partitioned, open office type ? nice blue cabinets with nice blue files ?

u not scare others come over to disturb and throw in something extrat ?
felinefrend
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 6:09 pm)
Actually that size is the hardest.
I'm a newbie too
No that is not my intention to impose my perspective on you, my tank is also overstocked.  Just explaining to you that a lot of the problems you are facing is directly related to the size of the tank.  I do know what it was like when fish die on me 2 years ago, I was so sad that my wife picked a big fight and made me threw my tank away.
You got the space and yes you are making me jealous.

Wifey now allows tanks to be in the house = all's forgiven and maybe (not) forgotten. tongue.gif

Thank you for posting and listening and sharing smile.gif

That space is allocated to do work - I am abusing my space biggrin.gif hahahaa

Have a great weekend!
felinefrend
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 6:43 pm)
erh ... a female specimen, goldfish starter and a cat lover .... hmmmm something we dun usually "meow" about ... oops ...

and your table is partitioned, open office type ? nice blue cabinets with nice blue files ?

u not scare others come over to disturb and throw in something extrat ?

Dog lover also ! Table is low-partitioned, sit down cannot see outside the cube, standup then can see other people. Low cabinets with blue files.. yah.. but top is files bottem is fishy stuff - 1 tupperware of water to leave overnight and dechlorinated. Fish net, fish food, ick medication, water filter box, used to house unused tanks, but now all utlized liow.

Nope, cos there are like 2 other ladies also got fishes,,, and they sit outside... I am at the end of the office. The folks here are ok, they are too busy with their stuff.. so they dun bother the fishes... and then weekend we all don't work, only me - siow char bor, comes back to change water and checks on them.

Maybe when they are better, more used to it then I weekends don't come back. But for now, have to monitor them.

HEre's their pics - took with my handphone camera - bad resolution
Blackish PS baby that turned Light Gold and still changing.
IPB Image

White PS baby - with edges abit orange.
IPB Image

Big PS - it's orange was very light previously and now turning darker orange.
IPB Image

This is also the sick one that gotten well, seems much better, looking for food now.. the white side (on the back) in the pix is the area where the scales were eaten up by the blackish PS. She did not give up on me when she was sick, so happy with her and nice to see her recovering and becomes greedy!! biggrin.gif

Have a great weekend everyone biggrin.gif
GF Lover
QUOTE(felinefrend @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 2:02 pm)
you are acute! Yes, I am FEMALE!! biggrin.gif hahahhaa

My wife also got 9inches tank with filter and light with 2 "pui pui" pearlscale in her office.

IPB Image
felinefrend
QUOTE(goldfish Lover @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 9:52 pm)
My wife also got 9inches tank with filter and light with 2 "pui pui" pearlscale in her office.

EXACTLY!!! So Cute!!! WAHHHHH DROOL!!!! Really, very nice, so cute!! nice nice biggrin.gif

I think I have the same filter and maybe same size tank too.. my baby PS is in that now..

I bought this tank, either I set this up at home or at bf's place... It has a hood, hopefully my cats don't get to it.

IPB Image

Maybe with gravels and fake plants... 5 gal of water very heavy to carry to toilet to change water.. so have to be at home.

Thank you for sharing the pui puis... that is exactly the reason why I wanted PS - mega pui pui smile.gif
ball
My constraints are 1) Cats at home. 2) Have to be small as I am in my office  & 1ft length is the largest I can handle at the moment.

My fishes are in the tub outside my house. There are two cats own by some neighbour, always roam freely. But so far, none of my fish has not been eaten.
The cat do stare at the tub once in a while though.
felinefrend
QUOTE(ball @ Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:34 am)
My fishes are in the tub outside my house. There are two cats own by some neighbour, always roam freely. But so far, none of my fish has not been eaten.
The cat do stare at the tub once in a while though.

Is your tank covered? When I brought my 2 goldfish home in a small mini tank (those used for hamsters) My first cat just stared at it - very fascinated, then the 2 local cats, started pawing at the tank, when they paw to the left the fishes moved right. Luckily I saw that and moved the tank into the room and locked the cats outside.

If the tank is heavier - then there should not be any problem - they cannot knock it over. The tank must have cover ... but I also scared that the cover not strong enough 'cos the cats will try to climb on top to sleep/stare or whatever...

Maybe should have one of them fall into the tank... then they will learn not to climb ontop of everything - curiousity killed the cats ... they say...
GFSLAVE
Why curse your cat .... paste some dog poster to keep them away lor ... shiok.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.