Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving...
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
marc9
wonder any one here when u all moving house..how do u all transport the fishes around...and u still need to setup the tank and gotta wait a few days...how and where u do u all keep the fishes...
GFSLAVE
I've no experience however just wanted to say something as to kick start this topic

All Bros guru out there ... do feel free to shoot ... tongue.gif

1) Never move your fish in their tank. Take the fish out and then remove the water from the tank.

2) Fish should be transported in clean, strong, polythene bags filled with the tank water.

3) Make sure that you seal the bags leaving a good air pocket above the water.

4) Secure the bags with strong rubber bands and try to use double bags to reduce the chance of leaks.

5) Gently place the bags into a box and clearly label the box with the position arrow or the words "this way up".

6) Do not feed your fish for at least 24 hours before the move. By doing this you will minimize wastes in the bag. This could harm the fishes, especially those larger fishes that regurgitate food when stressed.

Cheers tongue.gif
felinefrend
QUOTE(GFSLAVE @ Thu, 17 Mar 2005 4:07 pm)
1) Never move your fish in their tank. Take the fish out and then remove the water from the tank.

2) Fish should be transported in clean, strong, polythene bags filled with the tank water.

TOTALLY AGREE!

I did not move house with the Fishes, just moved them from Home to Work and vice versa.

I moved once with a Arcylic Tank and once in a bag.

Comparing both experience, the bag one is so much easier and less stress for the fish (IMO) and ME!!

Scene 1: Moving fishes in Tank.
Tried to drive from Serangoon to Woodlands - piang.. can not drive fast fast, if not the water will spill (note: the water is about 50%-60% of the tank).

No matter how, the water spills and I tried to drive like lorry driver... oso cannot.. very cham.

Scene 2: Moving them in plastic bags.
Moved fishes into plastic bags.. leave enough air for fish - one fish per bag, then tie up with rubber band. I put the bags into brown paper bag and tie the brown paper bag to my handbrake biggrin.gif hahaha so the bag will not fall all over the place -- incase i brake or something.... but a box also can work mah... no flip flop all over the place.

In terms of my move, I feel the plastic bags work better and if I need air... near work place got LFS, go there smile sweetly at the uncle to get some air for the fishes. good_very.gif

Like I said, this is my first mth of fish keeping... and if I need to move them back home, I will transport them using bags. Easier and no worries of water spills, speed, etc....
Just my 2 cents

--Edited for spelling d'uh!
The Matrix
QUOTE(marc9 @ Wed, 16 Mar 2005 5:32 pm)
wonder any one here when u all moving house..how do u all transport the fishes around...and u still need to setup the tank and gotta wait a few days...how and where u do u all keep the fishes...

before u move to the new house, sure to have already got the new house key mah.

get a few pails filled with water and run sponge filter there, or you transfer your existing sponge to the new place just 2-3 days before actual move. Or if u can't, get the pails and sponges at your old house run it till move. shift the pail and sponge yourself to the new place but within 2 hours or so. If still cannot, then pack the sponges with the existing water and find a lfs to pump O2.

then just pack the fish at your place just an hour to 2 before the actual shift and try to find a nearby lfs to pump up the bags. drain the tank and just wait for the mover to come lor.

the fish can stay in the pail till u shift into the new place and refill the tank. U got all the sponge filter running and all ready to put in the fishes.

if u running cannisters or top filter, then better start a few sponges today.
jhansolo
I fast the fish for 2 days before I packed them into a 2 gallon zip lock bag. I placed the zip lock bag in a pail and move.

this is my little experiences in moving fish not moving house. Moving house is damn stressful, like matrix said it is better to get the tank set up first before the move date or move the tank later. House movers have no experience in moving tank which is a different skill level especially 4 ft and above.

As for sponge, you can choose to freeze your sponge in a bag.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.