Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Feeding Frozen Bloodworms
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
infocus
I defrost bloodworm cubes in a small cup of water before feeding them to the goldfish. Does any bros do the same and do you throw in the bloodworms together with the water or without the water?

I ask this question because I heard the water is good for the goldfish but I'm afraid that it will increase the nitrate level and in turn do more harm.

Anyone can advise on this?
GFSLAVE
Yup !! I did that too.... not only empty the cube I even rinse it in the tank. happydance.gif

Any problem for doing that ?? nananana.gif nananana.gif nananana.gif

Thanks
CyberET
i'm lazy to buy bw and feed them.. over reliant on autofeeders tongue.gif
desireless
I throw the whole cube in. It's a matter of preference.
Seacucumber
here's what i do:

1)defrost the bloodworm.
2)rinse thoroughly with running tap water.
3)soak in a pot and slowly bring to a boil stirring occasionally.
4)drain dry and serve.

biggrin.gif

just some of my nonsense again....hehehehe...
GFSLAVE
Seacucumber,

You're tha man ... full of humour beg2.gif beg2.gif beg2.gif

I think you deserve for that well prepare food not your fish lah !!! Perhaps can mix with some "sea cucumber" Heheeeeeee tongue.gif
Seacucumber
hey...i tried before....believe me...
they hate it! hysterical.gif
desireless
I think soaking in water prior to feeding is not needed. BUT if you have been doing this, might as well treat the cube with JYP before feeding. I mean, since you're already making the effort to soak the cube, it is not a lot more effort to add in some crystals of JYP, rite? wink.gif
Seacucumber
QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 17 Mar 2005 5:39 pm)
I think soaking in water prior to feeding is not needed. BUT if you have been doing this, might as well treat the cube with JYP before feeding. I mean, since you're already making the effort to soak the cube, it is not a lot more effort to add in some crystals of JYP, rite?  wink.gif

beg2.gif beg2.gif beg2.gif
GFSLAVE
I think soaking in water prior to feeding is not needed. BUT if you have been doing this, might as well treat the cube with JYP before feeding. I mean, since you're already making the effort to soak the cube, it is not a lot more effort to add in some crystals of JYP, rite?  wink.gif

sorry-big.gif What's JYP ? blush.gif
Seacucumber
Japanese Yellow Powder
goldrush
I think what we fear here is a bout of diarrhea(Lau Sai,sorry not you Ah lau) which can occur if you have been feeding a continuous diet of frozen food especially blood worms.If you have the time it's best to thaw before the fish gulp down the frozen specimen that may upset the GIT.But most of us dont give a damn!
Right?

Diarrhea Symptoms: The fish has extremely loose feaces, is not interested in food, and may have a swollen body. No symptoms of disease are present.

Diarrhea Treatment: Don't let the fish eat for 2 days. Separate it from the tank mates. After the 2 days have passed, feed flakes or dry pellets.

No lomotil or charcoal(activated or non) hmm.gif hmm.gif hmm.gif needed.hahahahah

goldrush
infocus
Anything would have died during the freezing process. So I'm not adding JYP anymore. However, I did add some vitamins at times. But bloodworms can't absorb vitamins that well. So I usually add them in sinking pellets before serving. good_very.gif

As for deforsting the frozen bloodworms, the main purpose is to prevent my goldfish from lau sai ing. tongue.gif There are people saying the goodness is all in the water and so advised me to add them in as well but I think it would increase the nitrate level very fast. What do you guys think? unsure.gif
CP
QUOTE(goldrush @ Thu, 17 Mar 2005 7:22 pm)
............. bout of diarrhea(Lau Sai,sorry not  you Ah lau) .....
goldrush

There are at least two Lau here hor.............
The Matrix

some hobbyists can go more extreme than that.

There is a form of medication, known as Detox, sold by vet, which are meant to perform some detoxification for live or frozen food or act as an agent to clean up the fish internal system.

Commonly used by some hobbyists with fish that need to use live food. I recalled a small little bottle is tagged at 10 bucks. Not too sure now can find in lfs or not.
goldrush
It is not true that all pathogens can be eliminated thro freezing only(pathogen may be encysted or otherwise voluntarily adopts a suspended animation in unfavorable condition to ensure continuous survival of its species)It's the treatment of these worms prior to freezing and the technique involved that enable better control and elimination of these micro organism.So do choose a reputable brand and read on the way they are processed(of course some may print all sorts of claims to entice you)You may not know that the source of water may be just lokang chui to begin with and you are just emptying a host of pathogens lying dormant till you activated them thro thawing within your fishy system.That's probably why Geert choose not to advocate their use.

So use them with DISCREETNESS

wink.gif
goldrush
goldrush
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:31 pm)
There are at least two Lau here hor.............

sorry-big.gif sorry-big.gif sorry-big.gif

So are you the LAU da(Big bro) or the other "HK singer"?

with due respect

Nin Lau Hia here.......... peace.gif
GF Lover
QUOTE(goldrush @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 9:29 am)
It is not true that all pathogens can be eliminated thro freezing only(pathogen may
So use them with  DISCREETNESS
wink.gif
goldrush

Please advise, "How to be discreet?". Even with "Hikari" still kenna.
goldrush
QUOTE(goldfish Lover @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:32 am)
Please advise, "How to be discreet?". Even with "Hikari" still kenna.

Using Hikari may lower the chances but does not eliminate problems completely associated with frozen food.The risk is still there ,so be prudent and feed at your own risk and weigh it against the benefits your fish would be deprived of should you give them amiss.There is no 100% foolproof method to assure no contamination I must say hmm.gif hmm.gif hmm.gif

goldrush
infocus
QUOTE(goldrush @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:54 am)
Using Hikari may lower the chances but does  not eliminate problems completely associated with frozen food.The risk is still there ,so be prudent and feed at your own risk and weigh it against the benefits your fish would be deprived of should you give them amiss.There is no 100% foolproof method to assure no contamination I must say hmm.gif  hmm.gif  hmm.gif

goldrush

So using JYP will lower the risk further? unsure.gif Very lay chay leh. Don't think I would do that everytime I feed frozen bloodworm. hmm.gif
GF Lover
QUOTE(infocus @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 9:02 pm)
So using JYP will lower the risk further? unsure.gif  Very lay chay leh. Don't think I would do that everytime I feed frozen bloodworm.  hmm.gif

Use JYP got other problem. Australia band JYP because they say it causes cancer. Maybe your goldfish can kenna cancer if you use JYP too much.
ken
Defrost bloodworm cubes in a small cup of water before feeding is good
1) clean those unseen germ b4 feeding the fishes
2) Goldfishes can accept Defrost bloodworm better than Ice cube bloodworm.

Lastly I agree with desireless, is a matter of preference.
For your reference
desireless
QUOTE(goldfish Lover @ Fri, 18 Mar 2005 9:43 pm)
Use JYP got other problem. Australia band JYP because they say it causes cancer. Maybe your goldfish can kenna cancer if you use JYP too much.

Cancer!? Won't SG government be the first to ban it? ohmy.gif
Lester001
usually i soak it into water and change for few time of water before i feed my fish. the im doing it is because to reduce the risk of water turn bad.
The Matrix
QUOTE(desireless @ Sat, 19 Mar 2005 1:39 am)
Cancer!? Won't SG government be the first to ban it?  ohmy.gif

sheeeeeeeesssshhhhh ..... dun let AVA read this !

the active ingredient still okay, mild content only. If a little more, 100% u dun see it in any lfs at all.

a good advice, when using jyp, never leave it in any place where children can easily access. even the mixed water. it's worst than 30 yrs of cigarette smoking.
GFSLAVE
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Sat, 19 Mar 2005 9:03 am)

the active ingredient still okay, mild content only. If a little more, 100% u dun see it in any lfs at all.

a good advice, when using jyp, never leave it in any place where children can easily access. even the mixed water. it's worst than 30 yrs of cigarette smoking.

Children mah .. you will never know what they're capable of. Better not to keep one at home. Children is more important than fish right ?
GF Lover
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Sat, 19 Mar 2005 9:03 am)

I thought that the Australian Governmebt "Kiasu" only. Never expected it to be so bad. "Heng" Ah!!!!! never use JYP.
infocus
QUOTE(Lester001 @ Sat, 19 Mar 2005 2:42 am)
usually i soak it into water and change for few time of water before i feed my fish. the im doing it is because to reduce the risk of water turn bad.

guns.gif Bingo! That's the point I would like to stress. Will the bloodworm goodness be drained away by soaking it with fresh water several times?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.