Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floating Or Sinking Pellets?
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
cowhead
After reading many posts here, I noticed Hikari Lionhead Sinking pellet is one of the hot favorites. I gathered many felt that feeding sinking pellets can prevent our dear GFs from taking air when gobbling down the pellets. Hence, sinking is preferred over floating pellets.

But is it really true that feeding sinking pellets can avoid 'taking in' air? In fact, air is all over in our tanks. And we make sure they is plenty of dissolved air (hence O2) in our water by bubbling or other means.

If sinking pellet is better, why do manufacturers make floating pellets? Which is better, floating or sinking?
Seacucumber
u got confused.....
in our aquarium, there's no free air.....but DISSOLVED air....
1 example.....try taking a breath underwater.....hehehehehe....confirm u choked to death...
The Matrix
QUOTE(cowhead @ Sat, 09 Apr 2005 6:19 pm)
If sinking pellet is better, why do manufacturers make floating pellets?  Which is better, floating or sinking?

If I know why .... no matter floating or sinking, it is up to individual preference. There is no such thing of better or lousy. Important is the food MUST be manufactured and designed for goldfish and not louhan or discus or guppy.
infodog
I think food in natural environment for fishes tends NOT to be the floating type. This can be seen with worms, daphnia, shrimps, etc.

IMHO, floating type food are created by us human. WHY? Could be caused by 3 reasons.

1) Most aquariums have gravel and sand. Some fishes suck their food. Could be sucking a pebble & pellet choke the fish.
2) Food tends to sink further down in to the abyss of gravel and sand. Leaving it to rot and promote the growth of fungus & other yucky stuff. YUCKS!
3) Easier for the fish to find and see. laugh.gif:lol:lol

Well, these are my ASSUMPTION for the reason that floating food are created.
Seacucumber
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Sat, 09 Apr 2005 10:41 pm)
If I know why .... no matter floating or sinking, it is up to individual preference. There is no such thing of better or lousy. Important is the food MUST be manufactured and designed for goldfish and not louhan or discus or guppy.

i feed with koi food leh.... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.