Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: After Creating Green Water, Then What's Next Step?
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
cowhead
After creating some green water in a tank with only an air stone, can I just put my goldfish in without any other filtration? Can the PL lights be turned off if I put the tank in the balcony with good light? What about filter?
infodog
I put my fishes in immediately after green water had been established. The fishes had been good since then.

I really cannot advise if you should turn off the lights, even you mentioned that there sufficient sunlight to your balcony. Personally, I use sunlight and did not use any artificial lights. Cheaper that way! wink.gif

Try to turn off the lights to test to see whether the sunlight is good enough for a few days. If the water turns greener, then great. If not, turn on the lights again (Provided the green water haven't die of yet!!!).

Just a word of caution, make sure aeration is good. Unlike artificial lights, sunlight will set. During the night, algea in green water will compete with your goldfish for DO. Increasing it will not harm.

Well, all the best.
ranchu8
the ph difference shouldn't be too wide, algae causes pH difference ... if you don't have a pH test pen, may be safer to mix the water gradually before transferring
cowhead
The PL light is very very bright. If I were to continue switching it on, doesn't it stress my goldfish? Is it ok if I just turn on the normal light? Moreover, my tank is in the balcony.

When come to WC, can I just keep a bit, say 10% of the green water, for seeding? Do I still need to keep the PL lights on again?

I have read Happybudda's informative writeup about making and changing green water. But I can't find any info on whether the PL lights got to be on or not????
RBT
Hi Bro,

green water needs light to re-product/survive.So once you have green water,u still need it.

But for how long should you leave it on,well from experience(not much),i had mine going on only 7hours of light a day.

I kiaso type cultivated my green water on 12hours of PL light in the beginning...hehe,but the brightness irritated a few inhabitants(not only the vampires) in my house so cut down to 7hrs.
9Ranchus
Need some help to understand the pH of my water.

I maintain green water and my tubs are outdoor with good sunlight. I use only airstone. The pH ranges from 9.1 (in the morning) - 10.2 (during the night) during the day. My tap water is pH 8.1. Rain water yesterday was pH 4.9 in the south of the Island. The only external elements that I add to the water are anti-clorine and baking soda (regular amounts).

I was told this high pH is not harmful to my goldfish. Can any bro share the reasons on the high pH?

thanks
Hikari
Hi, we all know that different types of fishes lives in different PH environment. However they may or can adapt to the other PH level. Example Neon tetra which prefer slightly acidic environment can live in PH 7-8 but will not last long.
The common understanding is that goldfish do better in slightly alkaline PH level, but PH 9-10 is not recommended . So the simple answer is try to provide the fish within their PH level for them to strive. Check the internet, lots of info for PH level for goldfish.

Cheers
The Matrix
QUOTE(9Ranchus @ Sun, 17 Jul 2005 9:42 am)
Need some help to understand the pH of my water.

I maintain green water and my tubs are outdoor with good sunlight. I use only airstone. The pH ranges from 9.1 (in the morning) - 10.2 (during the night) during the day. My tap water is pH 8.1. Rain water yesterday was pH 4.9 in the south of the Island. The only external elements that I add to the water are anti-clorine and baking soda (regular amounts).

I was told this high pH is not harmful to my goldfish. Can any bro share the reasons on the high pH? 

thanks

what's your kH reading ?
CP
QUOTE(9Ranchus @ Sun, 17 Jul 2005 9:42 am)
. The pH ranges from 9.1 (in the morning) - 10.2 (during the night) during the day.

thanks

Its strange to note that your pH is higher during the night for your green water.Usually pH is higher during the day and drops during the night.

As to whether high pH is harmful, you need to know the ammonium level.There is a ammonia-ammonium transition when pH fluctuates (more toxic at high pH) and maybe this can give you an idea.

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8

But, no need to fret or concern or get stressed over these figures.So long as your green water is properly maintained, should not be a problem.
9Ranchus
will repost
9Ranchus
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:20 am)
what's your kH reading ?

Dont have a kH test kit. Looks like I might to get one........
9Ranchus
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Sun, 17 Jul 2005 12:09 pm)
Its strange to note that your pH is higher during the night for your green water.Usually pH is higher during the day and drops during the night.

I am scratching my head too......accordingly to the other hobbyist in my house, it got to do with the lag of O2 reaction with water. O2 produced throughout the day increases the pH gradually as the day passes. When measurement is taken in the evening/night, it is the most akaline (highest pH). Likewise, the CO2 produced throughout the night/wee hours bring pH down until it reverse at a certain point in the morning (when I take the measurement). I am a little skeptical about this explanation and would appreciate any inputs from bro out there.

As to whether high pH is harmful, you need to know the ammonium level.There is a ammonia-ammonium transition when pH fluctuates (more toxic at high pH) and maybe this can give you an idea.

Tested ammonia level at the same time when pH readings are taken. The ammonia NH4 ranged 0.5ppm - 1.5ppm. I could not do finer readings as my test kit uses a color code.

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8
But, no need to fret or concern or get stressed over these figures.So long as your green water is properly maintained, should not be a problem.

Thank you for your comments. I believe my GFs are doing well. Just wanted to understand what's going....... good_very.gif
The Matrix
9ranchu, it will be of good help to list the tank setup and fish in it. some of your usual practise will be good to isolate the problem or at least provide some hindsight to the question you are asking. quite difficult to pinpoint without information.

also, measurement of pH in green water is very challenging. if u have all the spare time, do a 2 hourly measurement from 1 hour before first feeding to 4 hours after last feeding or at least 4 hours after photo period. Nitrogen byproduct tests will be another difficult portion as it is dependent on the feeding and photo period.

Another thing (maybe one critical one), is your green water very thick, rather too dark ? It will be good to measure on the day you change water and the day before changing water. u will find a lot of question marks floating up in the air. peace.gif

dun rush to do too much things, ponder over the green water setup.
9Ranchus
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Sun, 17 Jul 2005 2:38 pm)
9ranchu, it will be of good help to list the tank setup and fish in it. some of your usual practise will be good to isolate the problem or at least provide some hindsight to the question you are asking. quite difficult to pinpoint without information.

also, measurement of pH in green water is very challenging. if u have all the spare time, do a 2 hourly measurement from 1 hour before first feeding to 4 hours after last feeding or at least 4 hours after photo period. Nitrogen byproduct tests will be another difficult portion as it is dependent on the feeding and photo period.

Another thing (maybe one critical one), is your green water very thick, rather too dark ? It will be good to measure on the day you change water and the day before changing water. u will find a lot of question marks floating up in the air.  peace.gif

dun rush to do too much things, ponder over the green water setup.

I keep two color TVR babies in those standard blue tub (3.5 ft by 2.2 ft) with about 100 litres of water. I do 50% WC every 3-4 days. I do 2 hourly feeding and took interval pH readings today and it ranged from 8.8 - 9.5 today. My green water is not very thick, in fact, I believe the wall algae is stronger as it will outgrow every 3-4 days. I scrub the tubs clean yesterday and seed 100% of the green water. I will continue to monitor the pH like you suggested and hopefully, I will be able to isolate and find the answer..............thank you for your comments........
The Matrix
QUOTE(9Ranchus @ Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:47 pm)
I keep two color TVR babies in those standard blue tub (3.5 ft by 2.2 ft) with about 100 litres of water. I do 50% WC every 3-4 days. I do 2 hourly feeding and took interval pH readings today and it ranged from 8.8 - 9.5 today. My green water is not very thick, in fact, I believe the wall algae is stronger as it will outgrow every 3-4 days. I scrub the tubs clean yesterday and seed 100% of the green water. I will continue to monitor the pH like you suggested and hopefully, I will be able to isolate and find the answer..............thank you for your comments........

well, just a suggestion, maybe good not to use green water for a while. baby fishes need a lot of attention.
9Ranchus
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:49 pm)
well, just a suggestion, maybe good not to use green water for a while. baby fishes need a lot of attention.

My tubs are outdoor which make it more difficult to fight against the natural forces. I believe green water is friendly than wall algae which I had the impression can be harmful........
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.