Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keeping Records
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
goldrush
Good Evening RG members

Being trained as a health professional proper record taking of all incoming patients is mandatory in our practice.I wish to propose proper recording of your fishes to further enhance your appreciation of fish keeping and draw continual inspiration in your quest towards better management of your setup, disease control and growth monitoring.

Things you need to record

1)Name:An optional entry but Westerners like to call fish by name

2)Date of Purchase:An important entry to ensure proper date of reference as to measure growth,development etc

3)Age:An estimate age gives you an idea whether the fish has much to grow or otherwise

4)Place of purchase:Location of LFS is important to ensure history of bad and good enterprising.Shopkeepers’s stocks, farm and supplies are essential for some who requires specific breed and origin

5)Size/Length at time of purchase.An indispensable yardstick to measure your fish progress in growth and development

6)Purchase price:Monetary records show whether you stand to gain if selling your fish is an option in the future

7) Country of Origin.Whether fish from China,Thailand,Japan or even locally bred has to be entered for easy reference

8)Breeder:Whether you deem a fish a designer’s item is very individual.A lot of keeper would like to keep a specific lineage of fish, historically crafted by reputable master,so knowing a particular breeder helps you to purchase fish of desired traits.

9)Photographs: Picture speaks a thousand words they say. Pictures of each phase of development from time of purchase to showing of fish or selling of specimen gives great pleasure and satisfaction to every keeper.It is all up to each individual to file pic of fish in its progress, deterioration, color change ,wen development or even disease outbreaks

10)Location of fish:Some keepers may possess numerous tanks whether outdoor, indoor or no door! Proper record of fish in any change of location is important to monitor their progress and whether they benefit from these change of location esp so if there is winter experience in temperate countries.

11)Medication: History of disease outbreaks ,medicinal dosage, water management entry allow future reference to minimize unwanted and repeated mistakes in our keeping

12)Breeding.Records of sire/dame are prerequisite to ensure proper linage record if you are into breeding .Proper record to show line breeding ,cross breeding or in breeding have significant genetic bearing to promote a particular traits as well as to dissociate an unwanted features and to stabilize a characteristic of a particular fish

These are my basic recommendation of proper recording of your fish. However if any of you would like to add further to the said list, feel free to do so. For some would like to add water parameter testing results or mathematical figures, so be it. There are no hard and fast rules in this recommendation .A journal of your fish may seem a tedious chore initially but believe me every effort made is very well worth waitng for……………….

Regards

goldrush

good_very.gif good_very.gif good_very.gif
white horse T1
QUOTE(goldrush @ Tue, 10 May 2005 5:14 pm)
Good Evening RG members
Being trained as a health professional  proper record taking of all incoming patients is mandatory in our practice.I wish to propose proper recording of your fishes to further enhance your appreciation of fish keeping and draw continual inspiration in your quest towards better management of your setup, disease control and growth monitoring.

Things you need to record

good_very.gif  good_very.gif  good_very.gif

even my children i also never go to such extreme....let alone fish....
lucky u not from insurance industry, otherwise sure recommend life policies...fish investment linked policies tongue.gif
The Matrix
Wah liao Doc ... u very the extreme. hahahaha ... but good lah.
yamato38gunkei
I think it is very important to keep records of your Goldfish ; especially when you want to breed and start your own bloodline.
Here is an example of how I keep records of all my Ranchu. It is simple, but thanks to the photos very clear and useful.

Regards,

Geert Coppens
CP
QUOTE(yamato38gunkei @ Tue, 10 May 2005 6:24 pm)
I think it is very important to keep records of your Goldfish ; especially when you want to breed and start your own bloodline.
Here is an example of how I keep records of all my Ranchu.  It is simple, but thanks to the photos very clear and useful.

Regards,

Geert Coppens

Wow, impressive.

These records makes more sense than those Thai farms printing a pic of their fish and labelling them showgrades before selling.

Just a question,Geert, if you had used two males instead of one during breeding how do you determine which male is actually the father? thinking.gif

Thanks in advance.

CP Lau
yamato38gunkei
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Tue, 10 May 2005 3:19 pm)
Wow, impressive.

These records makes more sense than those Thai farms printing a pic of their fish and labelling them showgrades before selling.

Just a question,Geert, if you had used two males instead of one during breeding how do you determine which male is actually the father? thinking.gif

Thanks in advance.
CP Lau

I never use two males with one female, because I want to know exactly who is the mother and who is the father. I always breed one male with one female.

Regards,

Geert Coppens
goldrush
salute.gif salute.gif

Thumbs up Geert

At least I got one reputable supportor
I hope our local boys will be aware of its significance in time to come

goldrush
The Matrix
too bad, me no breed fish. even got fries also all destroy.

Doc you list quite exhaustive. For a beginner, it will be good to keep pictorial records at quarterly interval with data of date of purchase, known lineage, size and significant changes. some people can't even tell the diff of a chinese, thai, japan or tibet. Worst, the chinese are sub divided further ... so dun bother about this origin thing.

Once started to breed, the frys will carry Pink IC ... Made In Singapore.
goldrush
Well matrix,Im sorry if the list looks intimidating but like I say each individual has its own personal record or something to begin with.At least start off with the bare necessities like what you highlighted and progress from there.It is through these personal data reference that you get to view your fish(past foto) as it grows,mature and learn from it.Ultimately you may even add Roll of Honour to its credit if you are into participation.The lists are just infinite and can be tailored to each and everyone's fancy.To me it just add a new dimension in our continual goldfish education.

regards

goldrush yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif
desireless
Temp Aqua Cal
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.