Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My New Black Orandas!
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
Hamad
Hey everyone, it's been a very long time since I last posted here cause I was always out of town and busy with family which is why I stopped keeping goldfish or seeking for them.

Anyhow I filled 50% of my 50g tank with water and just ran a sponge filter 2 days ago, went to the store today and bought two pretty black orandas. They're in no way show quality or close to being excellent, and actually they're quite stressed from the tank they were in [very overstocked tank with black moors and the water smells really bad] and one of them is badly injured at the start of the tail.

But I just LOVED their head growth which almost covers the eye, I'm a sucker for fish with heads like that. Their bodies are slim but it's good with a big head like that, the fins are ok - one of them has much better fins than the other. They're about 7-8" with the tail.

Anyway, I feel like I'm a beginner again which is fun. I'm feeding them sinking dry food and bloodworms, will do partial water changes semi-daily, and see how it goes! Let me know what you think! biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
Hamad
Here's two more...

IPB Image

IPB Image
mountain
keke .. hamad .. glad to see you back.
since you just got them 2 days ago.. how about start giving them salt dips since they look strong eating well..
CP
The heads are very similiar to those of tamids - Thai black ranchus.

A buffalohead oranda!! (Er...coined this term myself).

Have not seen this in Singapore before,is this piece from Thailand?

CP Lau
The Matrix
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Sun, 15 May 2005 10:37 am)
The heads are very similiar to those of tamids - Thai black ranchus.

A buffalohead oranda!! (Er...coined this term myself).

Have not seen this in Singapore before,is this piece from Thailand?
CP Lau

mature oranda should look better or as good as a lionhead.

Hamad, do take care of the diet for these oranda. The finnage looks bad. the jagged edges of the fins seems to indicate these fish is badly maintained.
Hamad
Oh thanks for the comments everyone, alright I'm planning on the following and tell me if that would be enough care:

- 50% water change daily
- 1 teaspoon of salt for every gallon
- and feeding as mentioned earlier [bloodworms/sinking pellets]

Anything else? They're quite stressed, one of them eats very well and the other [the one injured] is still tired and sleeps around a lot.

And you're right Matrix, the fins are bad especially on the edges and like I mentioned, the water they were in smelled horrible which probably means they were living in very high ammonia for quite awhile.

Cpiw2002, the guy at the store said China but I don't think he's reliable so this can be or can't be true.
The Matrix
QUOTE(Hamad @ Sun, 15 May 2005 7:35 pm)
Cpiw2002, the guy at the store said China but I don't think he's reliable so this can be or can't be true.

Chinese oranda lah. Not a thai line.
Hamad
I found pure salt today and bought it, do you guys think that would be fine? I want to start treating them with this instead of the marine salt cause it's soo expensive and I must buy a whole pack [they don't sell smaller quanitities].

Also Matrix, what's the difference between Thai and Chinese oranda? Would love to know smile.gif
CyberET
its ok, i'm using plain kitchen salt too, SG$1 for 3KG
The Matrix
QUOTE(Hamad @ Mon, 16 May 2005 6:04 am)
I found pure salt today and bought it, do you guys think that would be fine? I want to start treating them with this instead of the marine salt  cause it's soo expensive and I must buy a whole pack [they don't sell smaller quanitities].

Also Matrix, what's the difference between Thai and Chinese oranda? Would love to know smile.gif

no need pure salt lah. i also using rock salt S$1 for 3kg.

differences har, the head, body and tail ..... kekekekeke. try go to web sites and compare. wish u are here in Singapore. There are a few shops now holding on to superb quality tung hoi oranda.
goldrush
Hi matrix

Care if you can refer to which LFS carry Tung hoi Oranda and what size and at what prize?

Thxs

goldrush
white horse T1
hamad,
which part of UAE u stay? Dubai or Abu Dhabi? are there fish shop in there? i didn't get to see any during the last 3 occassions i was in Abu Dhabi.

at that type of sun and temp, brewing green water is not at all an issue.
Hamad
White Horse, I'm in AD! There aren't that many fish shops here except like 5-6, but in Dubai/Shj there's quite a lot! As for green water, it actually becomes boiling green water around 1pm under direct sunlight!! I've had two fish die from that when I tried green water. sad.gif When was your last visit to the UAE btw? biggrin.gif

Matrix, now I'm feeling bummed, I always wished to have some of their red orandas cause they're perfect! Anyone would care to hook me up with some? LOL Or at least take pics as I'd love to see how they look in stores!!!

Thanks for the replies!
white horse T1
QUOTE(Hamad @ Mon, 16 May 2005 1:30 pm)
White Horse, I'm in AD! There aren't that many fish shops here except like 5-6, but in Dubai/Shj there's quite a lot! As for green water, it actually becomes boiling green water around 1pm under direct sunlight!! I've had two fish die from that when I tried green water. sad.gif  When was your last visit to the UAE btw? biggrin.gif

was there last yr in Oct , Nov and just 2 weeks ago.
are the fish shops in the heart of city? normally i hang around mustaffah base, city at the exchange area along the main street. i went up once to the rotating restaurant in AD. amazing city which will easily bypass spore in no time esp Dubai. a real happening place man. all MNC in the World are there.

i should be up there quite often. need "fishy" things from spore, just give me a shout.
CyberET
tai kok already need to shelter from the sun.. UAE? even worse.. as Hamad said.. boiled fish biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.