Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Should I Feed Blue Orandas?
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
goldfishpoo
Hi, this is my first post. I have just purchased 2 blue orandas. They are about an 1'-1.5' with a little head growth. I was wondering if you could give me tips on feeding and some info on how to grow. I cannot load pictures yet. I will soon. beg2.gif
Maniacholic
since no one is answering so far I may try to answer with my out of date knowledge laugh.gif

Blue is a reccessive trait/color and it will stay depending on the fish's genetics as blue is actually grey unless you're dealing with a calico type, and grey is the color of the goldfish's exterior without color pixels (red, white, gold, etc), since you want less color pixels to overshadow the grey, you need to lessen the goldfish's intake of beta carotenes which is a main factor for color pixels, but doing so may deprive the fish of vitamin A which may not be healthy as beta carotene comes in the form of vitamin A.

If the blue starts to fade I suggest you look for another strand of goldfish, as genetics is a more important factor, and it would be sad to have you deprive the fish of nutrients
goldfishpoo
Thanks for your reply.They both have brown/gold markings on their sides. I have been feeding tetra goldfish crisps and hikari oranda gold. they have really started to grow and they are starting to get the darker blue grey color to them. I bought them from petsmart and they were not in the best of shape. They are in much better shape now. I was wondering if anyone has tried the progold pellets from goldfish connection? I do appriciate your help and suggestions and would like more of them.thanks again
Maniacholic
I suggest u get omega one it's way better in my experience progold can cloud up water if pre-soaked and omega one has better nutrients as it is not using pre-processed ingredients and does not cloud the water, since you're likely in the US omega one has become a big thing in new jersey as i have heared that most non-comercial stores are specializing in them.

BTW brown is also a recessive color pared with blue so it will likely remain on the fish even if your fish turns extremly dark blue in some areas.

On a side note don't get from petsmart if you're looking for better quality goldfish, most of those goldfishes come from california, and instead look for local shops since it is more then likely they will carry fishes from part of gaun dong or atleast taiwan, if you're in the tristate area atleast, but if you really want something with more quality there's a few things you can do

goto the contests held at texas or canada which is annual, the breeders may sell you a few good ones

goto a breeder in new jersey

order a goldfish exclusively
http://goldfishgalaxy.com/index.html (if you're on a budget but sometimes they have nice things)
http://www.fishsempai.com (nice telescopes)
http://home.columbus.rr.com/dandyorandas/ (good lionheads)
http://www.neoranchu.com (nice ranchus)
(pricey)http://www.goldfishnet.com/home.asp
goldfishpoo
I have been saving for a couple ranchu from Neoranchu. They have some really nice sideviews on the site.I also asked him if they could find me some celestial pompoms.They are looking for some good ones. Very nice people. I am going to order the dandy oranda sales dvd today.(VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE QUALITY AND SELECTION ON THE WEBSITE) happydance.gif I will be trying the foods you have suggested. I am also curious about putting a plecocostomus in my tank? Thanks again.
Maniacholic
QUOTE(goldfishpoo @ Thu, 09 Jun 2005 11:43 am)
I have been saving for a couple ranchu from Neoranchu. They have some really nice sideviews on the site.I also asked him if they could find me some celestial pompoms.They are looking for some good ones. Very nice people. I am going to order the dandy oranda sales dvd today.(VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE QUALITY AND SELECTION ON THE WEBSITE) happydance.gif I will be trying the foods you have suggested. I am also curious about putting a plecocostomus in my tank? Thanks again.

do you know the guidelines for plecos, which breed to have and which not to have?
goldfishpoo
From what i have read. The dwarf brisle nose and maybe the rubber lipped pleco. I can get rubber lips here at local fish store. they are about an inch long. I don't want the plecos to hurt my orandas ,so please give more info on this subject.
Maniacholic
just make sure they're relatively the same size smile.gif , I was just hoping you knew to stay from the common pleco and the chinese ones.
chumhousa
QUOTE(Maniacholic @ Thu, 09 Jun 2005 6:31 am)

goto a breeder in new jersey

I'm from NJ but have never heard of any breeder in "turnpike state". If you don't mind, please show us some pointers. shiok.gif
Maniacholic
QUOTE(chumhousa @ Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:41 pm)
I'm from NJ but have never heard of any breeder in "turnpike state". If you don't mind, please show us some pointers. shiok.gif

just ask around, that always work in a local pet store specializing in aquatics, local guys knows alot sometimes

actually there used to be a list of these guys on a site but I don't know where it is...

Now I recall you can check the pond and aquarist clubs that usually have koi and sometimes they may have goldfishes, NJ has alot of pond keepers and alot of the TV goldfish are in great quality.
goldfishpoo
I have decided to let the alge grow it is the green kind will scrape off the front so I can see my fish. I have added a calico lionhead to my collection. happydance.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.