Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blue Green Algae
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
rwalker
My fish tank is infected with blue green algae (BGA). It gives away a bad fishy smell whenever I physically remove the slimy algae. I check the internet and it says BGA is due to a type of bacteria call cyanobacteria. I guess it all started due to overfeeding cry.gif

Erythromycin is said to be an effective agent to treat BGA. Some say it is bad to the fish/GB.

Advise is appreciated. And lastly where can I get hold of erythromycin
The Matrix
QUOTE(rwalker @ Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:15 pm)
My fish tank is infected with blue green algae (BGA).  It gives away a bad fishy smell whenever I physically remove the slimy algae. I check the internet and it says BGA is due to a type of bacteria call cyanobacteria. I guess it all started due to overfeeding  cry.gif

Erythromycin is said to be an effective agent to treat BGA. Some say it is bad to the fish/GB.

Advise is appreciated. And lastly where can I get hold of erythromycin
*



what sort of goldfish tank can grow bg algae !!!???!!!

Yes, this bacteria web form algae will produce bad sewage smell and toxic to fish. U might like to clear everything and use chlorine detergent. Disinfect the tank and all the equipments. But not on the fish hor. tongue.gif

Do tell us more about yr tank setup. Is that an aquascaping tank with high nutrient base fertilizer ?
rwalker
It is a 2-feet tank running on a sponge filter (no gravel). Yes, you are right, it is not a gold fish tank. My goldfish tank has so far come clean. I guess the goldfish never left any food to waste biggrin2.gif

The infected tank has about 18 0.8 inches swordtail and some java moss and java fern. With all the hardy plants and fishes the tank is meant to be low maintenance until.... cry.gif

Saw some medication on a fish shop today that claims to be able to get rid of all kinds of algae (including BG). But not sure about its effectiveness.

Advise is appreciated. Thanks.
The Matrix
QUOTE(rwalker @ Tue, 14 Jun 2005 9:16 pm)
It is a 2-feet tank running on a sponge filter (no gravel). Yes, you are right, it is not a gold fish tank. My goldfish tank has so far come clean. I guess the goldfish never left any food to waste biggrin2.gif

The infected tank has about 18 0.8 inches swordtail and some java moss and java fern. With all the hardy plants and fishes the tank is meant to be low maintenance until....  cry.gif

Saw some medication on a fish shop today that claims to be able to get rid of all kinds of algae (including BG). But not sure about its effectiveness.

Advise is appreciated. Thanks.
*


copper will be a cheaper alternative. Try find some medication with copper sulphate. Anyway, some medication can destroy plants as well. so use with care or simply buy new ones. also, remove all fish before using chemicals.

hardy plants does not mean low maintenance. low maintenance also not equate to low water change. your water is way too dirty and extremely high nutrients and low pH. u using food not meant for tropical fish or way over feeding and got stuck somewhere beneath the driftwood/ornaments/roots .... the algae should be now infesting your plants and spreading towards corners where no to minimal water flowing.

watever u do, after working with the tank, use a real good detergent to wash your hands/fingers before meal.

Clean them up as soon as possible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.