Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Newbie
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
swkoh79
Hi everyone,

I have just set up a not too big aquarium (around 1.5 feet), and is planning to get some goldfish to start off with. Wonder if I should get a few small ranchus (1.5 - 2 inches) to start this hobby with? Any idea where I can get decent quality ranchus of this size? Went to Serangoon North and many LFS, and find that the small ranchus are all of unsatisfactory quality.

Thanks!
OhaiYo
QUOTE(swkoh79 @ Thu, 16 Jun 2005 1:41 am)
Hi everyone,

I have just set up a not too big aquarium (around 1.5 feet), and is planning to get some goldfish to start off with. Wonder if I should get a few small ranchus (1.5 - 2 inches) to start this hobby with? Any idea where I can get decent quality ranchus of this size? Went to Serangoon North and many LFS, and find that the small ranchus are all of unsatisfactory quality.

Thanks!

Can try Qi Kim Hu... smile.gif
swkoh79
Hehe... yupz... I saw your message to me at another plae... thanks!! smile.gif Any other good recommendation?

QUOTE(OhaiYo @ Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:33 am)
Can try Qi Kim Hu... smile.gif

CP
Hi Mr Koh,

Newbie to goldfish or newbie to fishkeeping?If its the latter suggest you start off with cheap ones.QKH's are rather ex.

List of LFS can be found here, but some are out dated though.

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10
swkoh79
Hihi... actually not totally new to fishes, used to keep fishes (including many orandas) as a teenager for many years until I gave up it up many years ago. As fish keeping in those days was merely providing water, feed, and a air pump, I would consider myself totally new now, as all things that I read are quite new to me.

Ya, I would like to get those not so high ended fish, but those in most LFS are really unsatisfactory. Would like to learn more from you guys... thanks!!
white horse T1
cheap ? want me to offer u my "sevice" tongue.gif
if u PM me yr email, if got good lobang i let u know if i come across.
i hit my quota on fish load alr.
swkoh79
Hehe... I dunno what is considered cheap to you guys... the part I am concerned now is just the size, as I do not have a big tank, I shall start with smaller ones, and upgrading in the future if there is a need to. The biggest I can accomodate now is 2.5 inches, but I hope to get it slightly smaller at around 2 inches. Price wise, as long as is not those higher end prices, I should be fine, as I am just starting this fishy thingy, so shall not risk by starting with those ex fishes...

QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:48 am)
cheap ?  want me to offer u my "sevice"  tongue.gif
if u PM me yr email, if got good lobang i let u know if i  come across.
i hit my quota on fish load alr.

The Matrix
1.5ft tank this is way too small ! but anyway, since u getting tiny fish, then anything lah.

u won't get good or even average quality fish from so small fish lah. unless the breeder very screw up type that release everything from the spawn to make money. so dun expect anything good.

enjoy hunting.
swkoh79
Hmmm.... really ah... too small even for 2 or 3? Seems like I might have to reconsider... sad.gif
CyberET
too small for even 1, unless u r prepared to do daily water change tongue.gif
swkoh79
Huh!? Not even good enough for one huh? Oh no... does that mean I have to give up the idea of getting GFs? sad.gif
CP
Recommended 80litres per fish please.1.5ft tank only abt 50litres.You can use the aquacal:

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.php?pg=aquacal

So its abt 2 in a 3ft tank, 4 or 5 in a 4ft tank.
The Matrix
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Thu, 16 Jun 2005 1:18 pm)
Recommended 80litres per fish please.1.5ft tank only abt 50litres.You can use the aquacal:

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.php?pg=aquacal

So its abt 2 in a 3ft tank, 4 or 5 in a 4ft tank.

guideline only lah. 50L is a min but for small tiny fish, put 10 also can. but depends on keeper lor. quality or no quality type.
white horse T1
saw something at Jalan Kayu ah pek side.

he has a couple of tank containing his own thai baby ranchu selling at $5 each.
if u got good eye, u may able to pick a few 1 inch + in yr small tank.

actual address see LFS in sticky thread. he also got new stock coming today, but they are quite sick. u need to play doctor if u want them.

that;s all folks
swkoh79
Tried finding in the stickies... but cannot find leh...
CP
31 Seletar Farmway Straits Aquarium.

Can also try No 2 Seletar Farmway Seaview Aquarium.
swkoh79
I see... so the so called ah peks are inside Straits...? Thanks...! Will go around and take many looks, and learn along the way. Have to do proper planning and learning if I am really going into this...
white horse T1
ah pek is the one beside Summer Koi at farmway 4
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.