Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Filter For Guppy Tub
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
Seacucumber
planning to start another tub of ranchu in my own house...
indoors i mean...

was wondering what kind of filter is efficient enough....
canister is definitely a NONO for me....

planning to get a overhead filter accompanied by 2 large sponge filter....
max is 4 pcs of 5 inch bugger in that tub....

do u guys think that the BB from the 3 filters are enough??
HappyBuddha
If you're going for powered filter, why not go with a canister? I find it's the best kind for ranchu as you can use a rainbar to control the output generating little current in the tub. It's also very quiet and brands like Atman are cheap to buy. But OH beats canister as disposing trapped poos is a lot easier.

In any case, throw in a couple of sponge filters too, at least until the powered filter has cycled.
Inxs
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Thu 08 Jan 2004 06:43 AM)
If you're going for powered filter, why not go with a canister?  I find it's the best kind for ranchu as you can use a rainbar to control the output generating little current in the tub.  It's also very quiet and brands like Atman are cheap to buy.  But OH beats canister as disposing trapped poos is a lot easier.

In any case, throw in a couple of sponge filters too, at least until the powered filter has cycled.

HB! you see he use powered top filter. I thought you say no filtering for green water.
So what is this. Copying I method for green water har. laugh.gif
Seacucumber
QUOTE(WongDanny @ Thu 08 Jan 2004 02:15 PM)
HB! you see he use powered top filter. I thought you say no filtering for green water.

wah lau.....bro...where got greenwater????
i mentioned indoors lah.....hahaha.....
in my own house....
Seacucumber
QUOTE(hun citizen @ Wed 07 Jan 2004 11:18 PM)
Haven't finish spending your bonus yet? unsure.gif

My previous setup was a OHF(the topmost box was purely for mechnical filtration only) filled with ceramic rings.... with 8 pieces of ranchu swimming in it.
IPB Image

hun....
great idea....your setup got copyright or not??
hahahaha..... rolleyes.gif
LASERGUY
Where got copyright ? Mine also like that wat..... rolleyes.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(WongDanny @ Thu 08 Jan 2004 02:15 PM)

where got green water? pure bb water only what!

That little bit of algae on the floor don't count!
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(LASERGUY @ Thu 08 Jan 2004 06:41 PM)
Where got copyright ? Mine also like that wat..... rolleyes.gif

I remember seeing your setup which you have installed a NAN light above water level. So if the lamp drops into the water, it's OKAY! biggrin.gif I can't say that for vix's setup. But his setup has a wave breaker (that serves as decoration too!) good.gif
Inxs
Forget to switch off my light last night, this morning all fish got black eye, not enough sleep. happydance1.gif
dennis
QUOTE(WongDanny @ Fri 09 Jan 2004 03:36 PM)
Forget to switch off my light last night, this morning all fish got black eye, not enough sleep. happydance1.gif

This is the first time I heard this one! laugh.gif laugh.gif

beg1.gif Damn! You are good!! beg2.gif
Seacucumber

confirm they damn bored last night....
next time make sure you leave a small mahjong table and a set of mahjong inside the tub......
CyberET
don't forget to provide refreshments as well, add a can of coke in biggrin.gif
HappyBuddha

champion.gif
Inxs
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Thu 08 Jan 2004 06:56 PM)
where got green water?  pure bb water only what!

That little bit of algae on the floor don't count!

How come don't count. Can scrap them off and flow in BB water. In this way water is green liao.

Actually hor! why you stop green water liao har? HUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still looking forward to learn from this one lah. beg2.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(WongDanny @ Sat 10 Jan 2004 10:24 AM)
How come don't count. Can scrap them off and flow in BB water. In this way water is green liao.

Actually hor! why you stop green water liao har?  HUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still looking forward to learn from this one lah. beg2.gif

longpia.gif

Your HUNie not torking to you leow.

happydance1.gif
void
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Thu 08 Jan 2004 06:43 AM)
If you're going for powered filter, why not go with a canister?  I find it's the best kind for ranchu as you can use a rainbar to control the output generating little current in the tub.  It's also very quiet and brands like Atman are cheap to buy.  But OH beats canister as disposing trapped poos is a lot easier.

hmmm... you mean ranchu cannot tolerate high current?? Jia lat... i'm using one for my ranchu tank... to generate lots of aerated bubbles... What will be the effect ah??
ttsen
if ranchus can't tolerate high current, than mine is an ocean already. mine got four sides spray bar coupled to a 2260 ehiem plus a 2 outlet air pump..........so what is the result..............so far i see my goldfish are very active and happy. and very super slippery when i handle them in my palms.

can anyone advice me otherwise and proof your theory..........thank you.
Inxs
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Wed 14 Jan 2004 03:54 PM)
longpia.gif

Your HUNie not torking to you leow.

happydance1.gif

who say so. I don't believe. nananana.gif
CyberET
har? super slippery can also mean excessive slime tongue.gif
HappyBuddha
Goldfishes such as butterfly demekin and tosakin are best kept in a current-free tank. If you've seen how they struggle to swim, you'll know why you better keep the tub calm or their tails will collapse. Applying the same logic, a good top-view ranchu should be in a relatively calm tub too or their beautiful open-tails will collapse in no time.

For all my tanks and tubs, I now make sure there's little current irregardless of what kind of goldfish are in it. The rainbar may look like it's creating havoc but in my setup, it does not; dropping a cap full of geoliquid (which is white in colour) showed it takes a long while before the liquid gets blended cause there's little movement in the water to mix it up quickly.
ttsen
HB - so you are saying that i should turn off the rain bar? leaving only the air pump on?

cyberet - excessive slime? is that good or not good.
CyberET
excessive of anything is no good wink.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(ttsen @ Mon 19 Jan 2004 02:40 PM)
HB - so you are saying that i should turn off the rain bar? leaving only the air pump on?

So long as the rain-bar doesn't create too much current, it's fine. Adjust it so that it produces the least amount of current if you can. I like to set mine 1 cm above water level and pointed straight down into the water. My fishes can swim directly underneath without any problem or bothered by it at all. If you swim avoid the area, you know the current is too strong.

When water breaks the surface, lots of tiny little bubbles are generated. If your purpose of using the rain-bar is to aerate and create more dissolved oxygen, that's the correct way to do it; not by submerging the rain-bar.
ttsen
QUOTE(CyberET @ Mon 19 Jan 2004 02:45 PM)
excessive of anything is no good wink.gif

you don't like excess 'kah ching' 'kah ching'..... unsure.gif

hb - exactly my purpose, to create dissolve oxygen. my spray bar is above the water, not submerged. in fact, i feel like drilling more holes into the bar to lessen the spray. but did not get round to do it. will take some picture soon of my setup.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(ttsen @ Tue 20 Jan 2004 06:07 PM)
hb - exactly my purpose, to create dissolve oxygen. my spray bar is above the water, not submerged. in fact, i feel like drilling more holes into the bar to lessen the spray. but did not get round to do it. will take some picture soon of my setup.

Drilling more holes will work but unless you're a handyman and have all the necessary tools, it may not be easy to do it. You might want to consider adding an extension. Just buy a new rain-bar (from Ehiem or a generic brand) and simply connect it to your existing one. wink.gif
ttsen
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Tue 20 Jan 2004 06:17 PM)
Drilling more holes will work but unless you're a handyman and have all the necessary tools, it may not be easy to do it.  You might want to consider adding an extension.  Just buy a new rain-bar (from Ehiem or a generic brand) and simply connect it to your existing one.  wink.gif

hb - i've got no more vit m to spare. but i've got lots of tools.

i'll take a pix of my diy ohf. drilling is not a problem. if i've got the time, perhaps i can even diy my own glass tank. just need to get the industrial marine silicon.
lgoh
peace.gif Hi g-string:
where you got the blue tub? what is this cost?
and what is the dimentiones?
Regards
l.g.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(lgoh @ Thu 05 Feb 2004 03:45 AM)
peace.gif Hi g-string:
where you got the blue tub? what is this cost?
and what is the dimentiones?
Regards
l.g.

I'll help g-string answer your question since he's probably busy grooming his fish for competition this weekend.

AFAIK, there are two sizes. Most bros here use the smaller one, which is 3.5ft X 2.5ft X 1.5ft, and the preferred colour is blue instead of the rarer black.

Since you live in the mid-west, you can pick one up at C328 but it costs more than other places. sad.gif

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.ph...&hl=guppy%20tub
square_guy
c328 has stock, but it is still retailing at $48 mad.gif

actual dimension is 99cm x 66cm x 28 cm
Seacucumber
i can get for $30 shiok.gif

AC sellling $40....
most places sell $45-$48....
CyberET
mainland $35 i think
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.