Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing Water Can Be Bad You Know?
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
Pages: 1, 2
goldrush
It has been quite a while since I post something serious so I’m back with my old self again touching on some raw nerves topic. Today let me post an ironical question to all who has sweared by this practice all this while……Water Change .But can a water change be a bad or worse thing you ever committed in your fish keeping? Think about it. dunno.gif

Let me first touch on what we have been taught and preached ie water change is like life line in an enclosed system of ours.It is economical, simple procedure and the most rapid execution to return all water parameters to original values. Through its dilution DOC are brought down to acceptable level and all other metabolites ,buffers ,nutrients exhausted will be restored by the untouched fresh water source. But hang on there, this is only as good as the water source .
Ironically water change can be more toxic, more polluted if a bad source of water is encountered.So knowing your water source is an important . Chloramines, heavy metals, low pH, high nitrogen gas, high carbon dioxide, low oxygen, low temperature, bacteria count, pesticides and toxic gas can all make what seems a good thing a really bad thing! Thank god most of us here live in the city so properties of water from the municipal supply can be obtained and monitored.However those that utilized under ground water and storage reservoir in the outdoor setting better beware. You can never know what’s lurking within.

Secondly I’ll touch on frequencies of water change. When is a water change, even of ‘good’ water too much? Some people seem to be able to do 100% water changes and suffer no ill effects. Others come to learn if they do a water change of more than 40%, their water quality, filter and fish all seem to experience a set back? Cloudy water, flashing ,listlessness, loss of appetite instead of increase of appetite are some the symptoms encountered. Another factor to consider is the interval between water changes the spread of its execution. In simple term: the longer the time interval between water changes, the greater the difference between old water and tap water.So the greater your fish is going to experience the imbalance.

Finally we come to your opinion. Is water change a true panacea to reduce any biochemical imbalance in your system or just another disruption of balance in your system.Try thinking about it. no.gif no.gif no.gif

Goldrush peace.gif
The Matrix
How about a little poll on water change :

How much water do you change each time ?
How often do you change water ?
Do you EVER experience causualties after water change ?
What chemicals do you add during or after water change ?

Any observation on the fish after water change ?

peace.gif
The Matrix
And my answers ...

How much water do you change each time ? Minimum of 90%
How often do you change water ? Maximum once every 6 days
Do you EVER experience causualties after water change ? YES
What chemicals do you add during or after water change ? Buffer, antichlorine

Any observation on the fish after water change ? So far, none
jhansolo
Here's mine

How much water do you change each time ? 90%
How often do you change water ? 7 days
Do you EVER experience causualties after water change ? No
What chemicals do you add during or after water change ? Baking Soda & Prime

Any observation on the fish after water change ? Yes

Anybody measure pH before and after change? Yes
goldrush

How often do you change
30% everyday 100% everyweek

so far no

nothing

more lively
ranchu8
How much water do you change each time ? 50 to 98% biggrin.gif
How often do you change water ? depending, 1 day to more than 1 month
Do you EVER experience casualties after water change ? not yet
What chemicals do you add during or after water change ? antichlorine only, haven't used buffer as i haven't confirm saturation point for baking soda. For kH plus, saturation point is above 11 if i'm correct and my water pH is about 9 to 10

Any observation on the fish after water change ? observed fish but don't recall any positive or negative observation; maybe they (psychologically to me) look happier laugh.gif

pH? I measure both waters before

ps poll only, right? so no need to ask me questions on the above? smile.gif
CP
What??? mad.gif Water change disrupting the balance in our enclosed system? mad.gif

Touching on raw nerves....yes, especailly in this forum!. hmm.gif May I bring to your attention point 8 of your ten commandments,please!!
http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.ph...indpost&p=18985

Kekekeke...your post 5 says it all, so what are you trying to insinuate? thinking.gif

Sure, you can change 10% to 20% weekly, let the nitrates accumulate, no problems.You only have to deal with stunt fish,and outbreak of diseases, thats all.

How much I change - 80% weekly, for stock load of 100L per fish.
What do I add - Anti chlorine/chloramine only.Tap water added straight into tank.
Check pH b4 and after change?- Used to, but too lazy now.Same readings week in week out.
Any casualties - No.
Fish listless? - No.
Fish more lively? - No, cause its lively b4 the change. hysterical.gif

Just for the record, I have a friend who has kept goldfish for the last 20 years, he does 80% change (stock level 100L per fish) every alternate day.No chemicals added whatsoever, not even anti chlorine.Wakes up 5am, change water b4 going to work.Fish big big.But water bill high high. biggrin.gif
CyberET

90%

depending on stocking, once every 3-7 days

once a blue moon

anti-chlorine & sodium bicarbonate

erm.. too lazy to observe tongue.gif
goldrush
It may seems controversial in writing but in practice we are often left in the dilemma to act otherwise.By adding(new water ) and removing(old water)there is a natural loss and gain of biochemical nutrients which either way can be a cause of stress to any fish.The question is whether the removal/adding cause more stress or swimming in an unchanged water environment cause more than the former remains very much debatable.Many of us agree to water changes but to what extent?From the response so far many comes with different percentage,frequencies and protocol.These are to be expected as we do not share the same kind of keeping in the form of environment,fish,tank size,numbers kept and so on.Even the water source do not share a common origin
It is my intention to touch a raw nerve to set your idle mind boggling and to change water mindfully and not just change for the sake of changing

regards

goldrush peace.gif
ranchu8
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Tue, 19 Jul 2005 8:52 pm)
Just for the record, I have a friend who has kept goldfish for the last 20 years, he does 80% change (stock level 100L per fish) every alternate day.No chemicals added whatsoever, not even anti chlorine.Wakes up 5am, change water b4 going to work.Fish big big.But water bill high high. biggrin.gif

Hi, any explanation from friend why no need antichlorine? why he doesn't use antichlorine?
CP
QUOTE(goldrush @ Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:47 pm)
From the response so far many comes with different percentage,frequencies and  protocol.

Actually I would conclude that from the repondents so far, all advocates massive water changes.By 'massive' I meant at least 50% once a week.I do not know of other fish hobbyists (non goldfish) who carries out more water change than us except perhaps discus keepers.
CP
QUOTE(ranchu8 @ Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:06 pm)
Hi, any explanation from friend why no need antichlorine? why he doesn't use antichlorine?

He's confident enough I guess."My fish used to it liao lah", is the explanation.

OK, just for another record, I have a 3ft tank in my office which is rather heavily stocked (4 adult and 4 small fishes) with fishes that I do not want anymore, this tank undergoes 80% change twice weekly also without any anti chlorine.Bo tai jee.

But I would advise against this practise, we may spend a bomb buying our fishes no harm spending another couple of dollars just to be on the safe side otherwise you may end up longpia.gif longpia.gif longpia.gif
goldrush
QUOTE(ran chu8 @ Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:06 pm)

I for one do not use antichlorine.If i implement partial changes it is usually straight from the tap but if 100% change it is aged water to be safe.I do not use baking soda as well that's becos I'm no baker...... hysterical.gif
mrchoco

90%
How often do you change
weekly

so far no

anti chlorine

same.
ranchu8
QUOTE(goldrush @ Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:33 pm)
I for one do not use antichlorine.If i implement partial changes it is usually straight from the tap but if 100% change it is aged water to be safe.I do not use baking soda as well that's becos I'm no baker...... hysterical.gif

Hi Goldrush, is your experience 50% or more water change with no antichlorine so far ok?
goldrush
QUOTE(ranchu8 @ Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:47 pm)
Hi Goldrush, is your experience 50% or more water change with no antichlorine so far ok?

I think it depends on where u stay.
By and large HDB should be quite safe as the water are from the storage tank.As for landed u might experience higher chlorine content as it is not housed in anyway so chlorine may not dissipate enough to be safe.So far in my area and both kind of premises,I have not encountered loss thro water changes
The Matrix
Very good respond indeed. Everyone got their own method and level of confidence. It will up to individual to really look closer at each other response and ponder over them. Ultimately, let the fish do the talking.

Basically, these are the common questions and in fact, common problem of many beginners.

If really go slightly more advance, for those responded :

measure NO2, NO3, NH3 regularly ?
measure your tap CL level regularly ?
measure kH regularly ?

Or just wait till the bomb exploded then people ask u to measure ... peace.gif

Lawerence, if I drop my bomb hor, hahahahahaha ... better not. Wait the admin chase me with parang. cry.gif sweatingbullets.gif

It's just a poll.
ranchu8
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:03 am)
By and large HDB should be quite safe as the water are from the storage tank.As for landed u might experience higher chlorine content as it is not housed in anyway so chlorine may not dissipate enough to be safe.So far in my area and both kind of premises,I have not encountered loss thro water changes

Thanks Goldrush for the info; on a mischievous note, you need to spend time in both places?? biggrin.gif beer1.gif whistle.gif
ranchu8
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:55 am)
Lawerence, if I drop my bomb hor, hahahahahaha ... better not. Wait the admin chase me with parang.  cry.gif  sweatingbullets.gif

never mind la; what's the bomb?
ranchu8
measure NO2, NO3, NH3 regularly ? time to time, when i think i should smile.gif
measure your tap CL level regularly ? no
measure kH regularly ? no
goldrush
QUOTE(ranchu8 @ Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:56 am)
Thanks Goldrush for the info; on a mischievous note, you need to spend time in both places??  biggrin.gif  beer1.gif  whistle.gif

dont charge for bigamy(human mistress) sweatingbullets.gif but u may proceed with polygamy(goldfish ones) laugh.gif at your OTOT. heheheheheehe biggrin.gif
CP
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:03 am)

Whether you stay in landed,HDB,condo,high rise,low rise or whatever rise has no bearing on chlorine content.It all depends from which water treatment plant that your area receives its supply.That is to say so long as the water source is from treatment plant A, the water you receive will be the same irregardless of whether you are staying in landed or highrise.

Chlorine content will not be reduced just because they are kept in storage tanks as the turnover rate is rather large in HDB estates.There is no time for the chlorine to dissipate.Furthermore, not all floors in a HDB block will get its water from the storage tank.The lower floors get the water in the form of 'direct supply',that means water from the underground pipes are fed directly into their homes bypassing the water tank.Direct supply can feed up to 6 stories high, but to which floor will have to depend on how high the building sits relative to the sea level.In short, the way you receive your water if you stay on the lower floors of a HDB block is no different from the way a landed property receives its water. smartalec.gif
CyberET
got difference..
the earth takes longer to cool down laugh.gif
CP
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:55 am)

If really go slightly more advance, for those responded :

measure kH regularly ?

Or just wait till the bomb exploded then people ask u to measure ...

measure NO2, NO3, NH3 regularly ?Only NO3, cause tank is cycled.But, stopped taking reading already cos same readings week in week out.Only monitor if there is an increase in stock level.
measure your tap CL level regularly ?No.
measure kH regularly ?No.

Bomb never explode before. sweatingbullets.gif
jhansolo

Once a week in between the water change schedule

Never, but measure tank water after adding in anti-chlorine to make it works

measure kH regularly ?

before & after water change and once mid week, so all together 3 times
mountain
How much water do you change each time ? secret
How often do you change water ? big secret
Do you EVER experience causualties after water change ? bigger secret
What chemicals do you add during or after water change ? biggest secret
peace.gif laugh.gif

personal patience and practise and observation, otherwise same same as everyone
The Matrix
Now my turn ...
measure NO2, NO3, NH3 regularly ? all 3 same day same time, 3 days after water change.
measure your tap CL level regularly ? yes. before and after water change.
measure kH regularly ? yes, after water change. if stocking high, then 3 days after water change will do another check.
goldrush
No,No, No for all the above......................... dunno.gif dunno.gif dunno.gif
goldrush
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:21 am)
Whether you stay in landed,HDB,condo,high rise,low rise or whatever rise has no bearing on chlorine content.It all depends from which water treatment plant that your area receives its supply.That is to say so long as the water source is from treatment plant A, the water you receive will be the same irregardless of whether you are staying in landed or highrise.

Chlorine content will not be reduced just because they are kept in storage tanks as the turnover rate is rather large in HDB estates.There is no time for the chlorine to dissipate.Furthermore, not all floors in a HDB block will get its water from the storage tank.The lower floors get the water in the form of 'direct supply',that means water from the underground pipes are fed directly into their homes bypassing the water tank.Direct supply can feed up to 6 stories high, but to which floor will have to depend on how high the building sits relative to the sea level.In short, the way you receive your water if you stay on the lower floors of a HDB block is no different from the  way a landed property receives its water. smartalec.gif

Sorry boss I'm not from the civil engineering industry,so forgive me for my ignorance but incidentally do you not notice that our tap water do not emit the typical spermy smell lately(rather quite awhile?)But anyone measure Cl level over here? care to read out its reading?is it within living means for the fish? rusure.gif
jhansolo
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:58 pm)
But anyone measure Cl level over here? care to read out its reading?is it within living means for the fish? rusure.gif

Cl is easy and I think the level don't change much, it is chlormine that is hard to measure and determine its quality.
CP
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:58 pm)
Sorry boss I'm not from the civil engineering industry,so forgive me for my ignorance but incidentally do you not notice that our tap water do not emit the typical spermy smell lately(rather quite awhile?)But anyone measure Cl level over here? care to read out its reading?is it within living means for the fish? rusure.gif

Spermy smell from tap water?? rusure.gif

So far Matrix is the only one here who measures Cl level.Shd be under 2ppm as listed under PUB water quality website.

http://www.pub.gov.sg/our_services/WaterWS...2=8&l3=4-2&l4=3
goldrush
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Wed, 20 Jul 2005 9:32 pm)

So far Matrix is the only one here who measures Cl level.Shd be under 2ppm as listed under PUB water quality website.

here read all about the descriptive smell of semen and you know wat I mean...I'm not kidding

http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/10/semen.htm

hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif
goldrush
So lau

time for u to pcc and confirm my finding
If in doubt jump into your pool
you never know what u are swimming in!
yuk.gif yuk.gif yuk.gif

puke.gif puke.gif puke.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Wed, 20 Jul 2005 9:32 pm)

how come the discussion on water change become something different one ... dunno.gif

cp, i merely look out for chlorine and potential chloramines than measuring the exact figures. With WHO guidelines and a strong PUB, there is no doubt about their strict lab tests to protect each and every drop of Singapore water.

Typical Singaporean, I am. Kiasu, I do. Be safe, than sorry. peace.gif

hahahahaha ... this next test is quite ultimate ... who test O2 in water !?!? I know one in RG does - Jhansolo. beg2.gif
ranchu8
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:56 am)
measure your tap CL level regularly ? yes. before and after water change..

Matrix, is there a substantial difference of Cl and Chloramine using antichlorine for you?
ranchu8
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Wed, 20 Jul 2005 5:06 pm)
Cl is easy and I think the level don't change much, it is chlormine that is hard to measure and determine its quality.

Jhansolo, meaning no substantial difference of Cl for you?
The Matrix
QUOTE(ranchu8 @ Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:04 pm)
Matrix, is there a substantial difference of Cl and Chloramine using antichlorine for you?

do not understand your question.
jhansolo
QUOTE(ranchu8 @ Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:06 pm)
Jhansolo, meaning no substantial difference of Cl for you?

I don't understand your question as well, what I mean is Cl level would most likely stays the same, although I don't measure the water straight from the tap. I only measure that the tank water to be sure that it is free from chlormines.

As for O2 it is not a consistent check for me only once in a while as it takes quite a bit of time to conduct this test which requires 2 reagent. Especailly there is a poison warning on the 2nd bottle
ranchu8
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:03 am)
do not understand your question.

meaning no substantial difference whether one uses antichlorine or not? if no substantial difference, no need to use antichlorine?

ps is there any difference with the chloramine concentration?
goldrush
QUOTE(ranchu8 @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:18 am)
meaning no substantial difference whether one uses antichlorine or not? if no substantial difference, no need to use antichlorine?

Hi ranchu8

If u use antichlorine u are on safe mode as u can never know exactly when there might be a change in Cl level in your area.If u dont then, like me I'm taking it at my own risk .Try the change without antichlor on some less pricey fish and not BBR as they are rather more sensitive.As u gain confident then u can progress to be more gungho......however as cp had written the most precious are the ones somehow thar are more vulnerable to such changes.So be careful.
The Matrix
QUOTE(ranchu8 @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:18 am)

it is up to individual to use or not. However, as we all know, chlorine in water is harmful to fish. Either play safe to "remove" it or merely dun care. Anti-chlorine is inexpensive and definitely give u a peace of mind.

Simply like life insurrance u got for yourself, cost of anti-chlorine is just the premium u paid for permanent disabilities coverage. peace.gif
desireless
90+% until the pipe cannot suck anymore. biggrin.gif

weekly

Once. Fish died after water change + salt dip

SB, anti-chlorine, oxycure, 0.1-0.2% salt every alternate change

if you keep let the new water settled to the same temp, there shouldn't be any strange behaviour

============================

ammonia alert always in tank. NO2, NO3, nope.

nope. I overdose antichlorine most of time

measure kH regularly ?
nope. so far only did 3 times over 15mths of usage of BS

QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 20 Jul 2005 9:48 pm)
here read all about the descriptive smell of semen and you know wat I mean...I'm not kidding
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/10/semen.htm
hysterical.gif  hysterical.gif  hysterical.gif

KNN.. some construction workers of the catchment area for your area must be spraying their semen in the water dry.gif Better report PUB now... hysterical.gif
goldrush
QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 3:50 pm)
KNN.. some construction workers of the catchment area for your area must be spraying their semen in the water  dry.gif  Better report PUB now... hysterical.gif

Hey Desireless

Wat I state was lately dont have that typical smell so dont go and anyhow hunthum innocent ppl mad.gif
ranchu8
QUOTE(goldrush @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 2:44 pm)
Hi ranchu8

If u use antichlorine u are on safe mode as u can never know exactly when there might be a change in Cl level in your area.If u dont then, like me I'm taking it at my own risk .Try the change without antichlor on some less pricey fish and not BBR as they are rather more sensitive.As u gain confident then u can progress to be more gungho......however as cp had written the most precious are the ones somehow thar are more vulnerable to such changes.So be careful.

QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 2:56 pm)
it is up to individual to use or not. However, as we all know, chlorine in water is harmful to fish. Either play safe to "remove" it or merely dun care. Anti-chlorine is inexpensive and definitely give u a peace of mind.

Simply like life insurrance u got for yourself, cost of anti-chlorine is just the premium u paid for permanent disabilities coverage.  peace.gif

Yes, I understand smile.gif i will be using antichlorine. I am just surprised that using antichlorine doesn't affect the chlorine content? or is it that the chlorine content is so low that using antichlorine does affect chlorine content substantially? is the tap water chlorine level usually very low in your area? in the test kit manual, does it say that any chlorine is harmful to fish or is there a min level acceptable? after using antichlorine, is the level down to 0 for chlorine?
The Matrix
QUOTE(ranchu8 @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 6:20 pm)
I am just surprised that using antichlorine doesn't affect the chlorine content?

Care to elaborate further ? I really and still dun understand what u really asking.
ranchu8
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 6:23 pm)
Care to elaborate further ? I really and still dun understand what u really asking.

aiya, i misunderstood the earlier posts, probably not fully awake smile.gif if i may ask then, in the test kit manual, does it say that any chlorine is harmful to fish or is there a min level acceptable? after using antichlorine, is the level down to 0 for chlorine?
white horse T1
QUOTE(ranchu8 @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 6:28 pm)
aiya, i misunderstood the earlier posts, probably not fully awake smile.gif if i may ask then, in the test kit manual, does it say that any chlorine is harmful to fish or is there a min level acceptable? after using antichlorine, is the level down to 0 for chlorine?

bro,

there is no really textbook answer or model answer to this.

imagine pond water in the natural environment where goldfish or carp thrive. a little more toxin from rain water will not kill the them also. of course it depend on the adaptability and immune system of that particualr fish at the state of time and at the health state.

there are proven example for some that don use antichlorine and yet their fish thrive for some strange reasons. there are some who swear by it and yet still sustain causalty.

so at the end of the day, it does not matter whether anti chlorine can reduce chlorine to zero or there is acceptable level of chlorine in water.

getting the optimum content of chlorine will probably allow the fish to thrive in the optimum condition. the no - antichlorine method is probably pushing the chlorine tolerance level to the extreme. unless one is doing PHD on goldfish tolerance to chlorine, then it will be worth the while to know the mean and then test the 2 extreme lvl both side.

otherwise the key thing : is yr fish still alive whatever u do?
if they are, share the unorthodox methods
The Matrix
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 6:40 pm)
bro,

the main thing is : is yr fish still alive whatever u do?

swee.gif

Sorry lawrence. busy till quite late. got time i answer u ... but likely other will take care of it. kekekeke
ranchu8
bro,

imagine pond water in the natural environment where goldfish or carp thrive.  a little more toxin from rain water will not kill the them also. of course it depend on the adaptability and immune system of that particualr fish at the state of time and at the health state.

there are proven example for some that don use antichlorine and yet their fish thrive for some strange reasons.  there are some who swear by it and yet still sustain causalty.

so at the end of the day, it does not matter whether anti chlorine can reduce chlorine to zero or there is acceptable level of chlorine in water. 

getting the optimum content of chlorine will probably allow the fish to thrive in the optimum condition.  the no - antichlorine method is probably pushing the chlorine tolerance level to the extreme.  unless one is doing PHD on goldfish tolerance to chlorine, then it will be worth the while to know the mean and then test the 2 extreme lvl both side.

otherwise the key thing  : is yr fish still alive whatever u do?

thanks for your post, but i don't think i'm seeking any textbook or model answer. I'm asking for what the test kit manual states; unless you are saying it does not state anything concerning the toxicity of chlorine and at what level. I asked this as i have used a no of different test kits of different brands and and all their manual discuss the subject of test, eg NH4, NO2, NO3, kH etc and their acceptable level for fish. I do not have a Cl or chloramine test kit. My other question pertains to the factual or observed test results of the treated water. May i ask which part pertains to a text book or model answer? smile.gif

(edit) let me ask 1 more question: is the Cl level from tap water above the acceptable level according to the test kit manual? I trust this is also not a query seeking a textbook or model answer and that the manual discusses the level of Cl and Chloramine beer1.gif
ranchu8
otherwise the key thing  : is yr fish still alive whatever u do?

ps I would disagree with the above; fish alive does not mean fish is not "damaged"

(edit) ps ps the above posts are not intended to be critical of anyone's practice; my questions are raised as I would like to understand the position better as i've never had a Cl test kit; does the kit also test for Chloramine, and if so care to enlighten me on the same queries posed on Cl?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.