Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Filtration
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
zilong
Helo,

I'm new to the hobby and have just bought a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft for my 2 x GFs but I'm not sure if the existing 2 x sponge filters can handle the load or not, cos alot of pple tell me that I need a canister filter to do the job and a powerful one.

Can any1 please advise beg2.gif beg2.gif
CyberET
simi sponge filter? take photo?
i use 1 sponge filter for 9 2inch ranchus nia le..
zilong
QUOTE(CyberET @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:16 am)
simi sponge filter? take photo?
i use 1 sponge filter for 9 2inch ranchus nia le..

This one loh -> IPB Image
mountain
you are good for the set up for 2 goldfish. i do envy them.
CyberET
QUOTE(zilong @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:28 am)
This one loh ->

more than enough la, 2 sponge filter for 2 goldfish only can be considered overkill liaoz
mountain
you might want to consider removing those bio-home stones from the bottom of the sponge filter.

that spot is a large collection point for micro-dirts.. and soon .. your bio-homes will be clogged up and they will lose their purpose. smile.gif
jhansolo
I was wonder what the hell was those stuff
The Matrix
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:30 am)
I was wonder what the hell was those stuff

same here also. already very heavy base and still need a few pebbles to hold down. overkill.

2 filter for 2 fish in a big tank. how big are the 2 fish ?
goldrush
I see no fish(but u say got 2)....................................2
I see 1 sponge with 9 pebbles....................................1 and 9
I see 6x2x2 tank.....................................................6 and 24

enough for my system roll ....... rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(goldrush @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 2:58 pm)

enough for my system roll ....... rolleyes.gif  rolleyes.gif  rolleyes.gif

GOODNESS !!! 6x2x2 ft tank, 2 filter, 2 fish and unknown size ... call do I-Bet liao. 622R hahahahaha .. why r we taking over Domho's job.
zilong
QUOTE(CyberET @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:38 am)
more than enough la, 2 sponge filter for 2 goldfish only can be considered overkill liaoz

errrr........... I intend to add 4 more ranchus/lionhead, in fact 3 are on the way liao.

Still overkill ???

QUOTE(mountain @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:57 am)
you might want to consider removing those bio-home stones from the bottom of the sponge filter.

that spot is a large collection point for micro-dirts.. and soon .. your bio-homes will be clogged up and they will lose their purpose. smile.gif

Okie tongue.gif

QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 2:43 pm)
same here also. already very heavy base and still need a few pebbles to hold down. overkill.

2 filter for 2 fish in a big tank. how big are the 2 fish ?

aiya, pple give one mah, so I no no canister filter so put there loh laugh.gif

1 fish is abt 5", the other is abt 4"

QUOTE(goldrush @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 2:58 pm)

enough for my system roll ....... rolleyes.gif  rolleyes.gif  rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 3:00 pm)
GOODNESS !!! 6x2x2 ft tank, 2 filter, 2 fish and unknown size ... call do I-Bet liao. 622R hahahahaha .. why r we taking over Domho's job.

Aiyo, ask U guys for help and U guys give me this kind of answer/advise hmm.gif

Who else in this forum has a 5/6 footer ? can give some advise ?
mountain
hehe.. we say the setup is good. but it doesn't mean go ahead and can break all hell loose.. Gee .. i left a fish in a swimming pool size tank and it might just die after 2 weeks.. IT wouldn't know where is the pellets!! biggrin.gif enjoy your new tank Zilong
desireless
2 fishes in a 600+ litres is by itself a good setup. 300 litres per fish is like staying in a president suite.

As for your sponge filter, it is recommended one sponger per fish. But given your tanks space, one will be enough.

Another important note is that you have to cycle your sponge filter. It serves no purpose even if you have 10 uncycled sponge filters in your tank. Please read up on cycling of tank/filters in our archives

cpiw2002 owns a 7 footer.. you may ask him for advice.

QUOTE(zilong @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 3:28 pm)

FIVE MILLION DOLLARS wat... everyone is excited happy.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 4:02 pm)
As for your sponge filter, it is recommended one sponger per fish. But given your tanks space, one will be enough.

WAH PIANG !!!! U champion liao. 1 sponge per fish ????!!!! wleow.gif
CyberET
QUOTE(zilong @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 3:28 pm)
errrr........... I intend to add 4 more ranchus/lionhead, in fact 3 are on the way liao.

Still overkill ???
Okie tongue.gif
aiya, pple give one mah, so I no no canister filter so put there loh laugh.gif

2 should be sufficient to handle la.. i ever use 1 sponge filter for 7 3inch lanchu in just 100litres.. peace.gif
but then.. it depends how much u feed also no.gif
CyberET

champion.gif
CP
If you are using sponge filters, two or three will do the job.Important thing is to get a reliable pump .Because there are no other pumps involved (whether to pump up to the OHF or for circulation), the airpump is the only lifeline to the tank.

You need at least of 600L/hr of airpump capacity.It is advisable to get 2 or 3 airpumps each serving one sponge filter than to get one pump with multiple outlets serving all the sponge filters.Reason is obvious, if you encounter pump failure by using a few pumps if one fails the other will still pump.

Enjoy your new hobby.
zilong
First of all, let me say a BIG THANK YOU to ALL for your contributions/advise/jokes beer1.gif kissme.gif

QUOTE(mountain @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 3:46 pm)
hehe.. we say the setup is good. but it doesn't mean go ahead and can break all hell loose..  Gee .. i left a fish in a swimming pool size tank and it might just die after 2 weeks.. IT wouldn't know where is the pellets!!  biggrin.gif enjoy your new tank Zilong

I'm enjoying it but some how feels that the tank is too big for my small small HDB flat blush.gif

2 fishes in a 600+ litres is by itself a good setup. 300 litres per fish is like staying in a president suite.

Another important note is that you have to cycle your sponge filter. It serves no purpose even if you have 10 uncycled sponge filters in your tank. Please read up on cycling of tank/filters in our archives

cpiw2002 owns a 7 footer.. you may ask him for advice.
FIVE MILLION DOLLARS wat... everyone is excited  happy.gif

Read liao, understood that a cycled tank will have 0 Ammonia, 0 nitrite and low nitrate. Have bought the necessary testing equipment, will do test after 1 week peace.gif

QUOTE(CyberET @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 7:51 pm)
2 should be sufficient to handle la.. i ever use 1 sponge filter for 7 3inch lanchu in just 100litres.. peace.gif
but then.. it depends how much u feed also no.gif

I feed alot one, 4~6 times per day with autofeeder, hikari lionhead, JRL, wheatgerm pellets.

QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 9:29 pm)
If you are using sponge filters, two or three will do the job.Important thing is to get a reliable pump .Because there are no other pumps involved (whether to pump up to the OHF or for circulation), the airpump is the only lifeline to the tank.

You need at least of 600L/hr of airpump capacity.It is advisable to get 2 or 3 airpumps each serving one sponge filter than to get one pump with multiple outlets serving all the sponge filters.Reason is obvious, if you encounter pump failure by using a few pumps if one fails the other will still pump.

Enjoy your new hobby.

I bought a Shiruba pump as recommended in the lobang thread and a Rena pump, should be good enough hor rolleyes.gif

By the way, today I only feed once today cos the fishes just move into the new environment but there are alot of poos at the bottom and the sponge filter doesnt seems to suck them up leh, why har ??? is it becos of the biohome OR my air pump not strong enough OR not enough sponge filter ? worried.gif
CyberET
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 9:29 pm)

Enjoy your new hobby.

wah, u trying to create boiling water effect ah? tongue.gif
CyberET
ignore the poo, don't be bothered by it.. ;)
desireless
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 5:41 pm)
WAH PIANG !!!! U champion liao. 1 sponge per fish ????!!!!  wleow.gif

I got 6 sponges + 2 canister for 2 fishes in a 4 feet tank. What you think leh?
CyberET
QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:35 pm)

good_very.gif hysterical.gif
desireless
Overkill is always better than you have insufficient filtration in a tank environment.

Don't keep hysterical.gif, wleow.gif , rusure.gif , shiok.gif , happydance1.gif leh. Tell me what's wrong with that kiasu mentality leh.
CP
QUOTE(CyberET @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:33 pm)

For a 600L tank , airpump capacity of 600L/hr "bo rasa". smile.gif

My 800 litre tank I am using one Eheim submersible pump 2400 L/hr + 1 rena airpump 400 L/hr.

Pls dont call me champion hor........... wleow.gif
CyberET
QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:40 pm)
Overkill is always better than you have insufficient filtration in a tank environment.

Don't keep  hysterical.gifwleow.gifrusure.gif , shiok.gif , happydance1.gif  leh. Tell me what's wrong with that kiasu mentality leh.

waste sponges, waste swimming space, waste electricity, waste air tube, waste time washing sponges, waste water (evaporates faster) hysterical.gif
ball
QUOTE(CyberET @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:44 pm)
waste sponges, waste swimming space, waste electricity, waste air tube, waste time washing sponges, waste water (evaporates faster) hysterical.gif

hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif
desireless
QUOTE(CyberET @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:44 pm)

Kiasu mah.... I admit the canisters are really redundant... But they come in handy for new fishes coming out of QT. Can transfer the redundant filters to my spare tanks. Conveniently. No need to start the cycling stuff.

Shiruba pump good.. One at 'HI' can support all six no problem.. won't waste much electricity one good.gif And cleaning sponge is never easier. Just squeeze a few times before release water during water change. Where got waste water?

PS: Oh ya I forgot to mention... my 3 feet with one fish also got 4 sponge filters. muahahha...
The Matrix
QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:54 pm)
Kiasu mah.... I admit the canisters are really redundant... But they come in handy for new fishes coming out of QT. Can transfer the redundant filters to my spare tanks. Conveniently. No need to start the cycling stuff.

That's exactly why sponge filter is so versatile, cheap, reliable, transferable, dependable ..... ok, better dun start.

For what you have described, I accept your kiasuness. hahahahahaha
desireless
Hi Zilong,

This thread might be of some help to big tanks owners.

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1901
sjstd
Gday everybody shiok.gif ,
Just to checked with u guys. goldfish's poos should be clear from tank as soon as possible, so by using sponge filters (no matter how many) the poos is still in the tank, right? so, i thinks by using Canisters, or OHF is still the best as the poos will be sucked out of the tank. Please advise beg2.gif , thanks
CyberET
QUOTE(sjstd @ Fri, 22 Jul 2005 8:09 am)
                      Just to checked with u guys. goldfish's poos should be clear from tank as soon as possible, so by using sponge filters (no matter how many) the poos is still in the tank, right? so, i thinks by using Canisters, or OHF is still the best as the poos will be sucked out of the tank. Please advise beg2.gif , thanks

i wonder under microscope can see the BB eating up the physical poo or not coffee.gif

anyway.. poo sucked out of tank, but does that mean the filter is "out" of the tank as well?
CP
QUOTE(sjstd @ Fri, 22 Jul 2005 8:09 am)

If by using canisters or OHF and by doing so the poos gets out of the tank but remained in the filters, it makes NO difference at all if the poos are left in the tank.

Best is to get the poos out of the tank and filter.Our Hansolo has a cheap device which I have not tried but has been getting good reviews from those who have:
http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2022

The danger of having poos trapped in the filter is that it may clogged the filter up and the filtration system may crash.

For my case, my poos are left trapped in the filter but I am confident that it will not clog the system up and furthermore the trapped poos can be easily viewed and monitored from the side glass compartment.
goldrush
Not seeing poo doesn't mean they disappear into thin air.Your EF acts as collection point for further nitrification(sewerage treatment) before they are deemed safe for the fish to thrive.
sjstd
Hello guys, shiok.gif
Thanks for the feedback , all this while i am very reluctant to use sponge filters or filters that is in the tank as i felt that the poos although get trap in the sponge, but the sponge in still in the tank, and while for canisters or OHF , the poos is trap in the over head filter ,only the power head in the tank and thus only the water returned to the tank. Water clean or not is another story, hahaha... but atleast the poos is not soak in the tank.anyway, Thanks again guys.
One more question, the other day, as i was walking past a big canal, there are alot of green algaes growing by the side, than this guy came up to me and told me that those green algaes are good for feeding fish(did not mention what kind of fish) did that make any sense to you? hysterical.gif please advise, Thanks rolleyes.gif
CP
QUOTE(sjstd @ Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:01 am)
            One more question, the other day, as i was walking past a big canal, there are alot of green algaes growing by the side, than this guy came up to me and told me that those green algaes are good for feeding fish(did not mention what kind of fish) did that make any sense to you?

Yes, very good especially for goldfish.
CyberET
wah, good stuff ah! but comes with lots of extras as well..
The Matrix
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:51 am)
Yes, very good especially for goldfish.

wahhhh .... what would be the newspaper headline then ... goldfish keepers in Singapore found scrapping off algae from longkang walls ... then u will see some lfs selling "Japan" longkang algae, 1 box $10. sweatingbullets.gif

Actually, just make sure the longkang got some guppies swimming about lah. I recall seeing a picture of Kashino-san scooping algae from a canal as well. Same type of not ?
zilong
QUOTE(CyberET @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:33 pm)

QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:44 pm)
For a 600L tank , airpump capacity of 600L/hr "bo rasa". smile.gif

My 800 litre tank I am using one Eheim submersible pump 2400 L/hr + 1 rena airpump 400 L/hr.

Pls dont call me champion hor........... wleow.gif

So what is the recommend power for air pump ??? I compare the Shiruba with the Rena, Rena more quiet leh, Shiruba can be quite nosiy leh. hmm.gif

QUOTE(CyberET @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:34 pm)
ignore the poo, don't be bothered by it.. ;)

Very hard leh, mine is a bare tank, the poos very obvious, abit pek chek by the sight of it no.gif

QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:35 pm)

Wow, so many har, really abit overkill lah and very KS laugh.gif

I was only thinking of 3 sponges and 1 canister nia laugh.gif

QUOTE(desireless @ Fri, 22 Jul 2005 3:55 am)
Hi Zilong,

This thread might be of some help to big tanks owners.

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1901

Thanks man peace.gif
mountain
i am someone .. who wants to see my fresh fish poo around the tank floors before they disappear.. a years back i was using IOS system and things gets all musshed up on a piece of wool..
sweatingbullets.gif smoke.gif it feels good to see good poos.. i woun't be worried abt them
goldrush
Hey mountain

I never know your taste

poolicking goodness

IPB Image
goldfish8
Does the sponge of the sponge filter need to be a certain size in corelation with how many gallon of water in the tank. Also how strong does the air pump need to be? For example the hydro sponge 3 says that it is rated for a 40 gallon tank. How is this rating estimated? What type of sponge filter should I get depending?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.