Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New On The Site
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
kimigirl
To start off, I have 2 tanks at the moment, 50 gal and a 20 gal. Will be upgrading to 75 or 100 soon. (just saving up)

50 contains: Ranchu (2.5");Veiltail Red Cap Oranda (3"); Calico Veiltail Ryukin (2.5"); 2 Pearl Scales (1.5" each); Angel Fish (2") and Delilah, Blue Oranda (4")
20 contains: 3 Veiltail Angel Fish & 1 Regular tailed Angel Fish(1"); Chocolate Ranchu (2") and a Blackmoor (2.5")

I originally had the two little Pearl Scales in the 20 gal but noticed that the Blackmoor and Choc Ranchu were bullying the Ryukin so I switched them. The Angel Fish are too fast for them to nip. Hee-hee happydance1.gif

I know others advise against keeping Angels with the Golds. It's quite standard practice here since they eliminate Fish Lice.

Delilah was given to me by my fiance.

I make them a gel base homemade concoction of peas (peeled), corn (peeled), carrots and oatmeal which they love. I also give them weekly vitamins especially for goldfish.

In my 10 years of fishkeeping, I've had quite a few fatalities. Since I'm in the Philippines, some medications are not available here. dunno.gif

I love my Goldfish!! Each one has its own personality and quirks. They keep me entertained for hours. Here are some photos of my fish. The others just won't keep still and smile.

Sorry about the picture quality.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
CP
Hi Kimi,

Its good to have members of the opposite sex interested in this male dominated hobby.While I can't comment much on mixing goldfish and angelfish,for a start all I can say is that your tank is overcrowded.In this forum a large volume of water per fish is always preached (at least 50L per fish) coupled with massive water changes.

Do spend time to read up on the archived posts.

And, the pic of the "brown lionhead" is not a lionhead but a ranchu.You can find a write up on it in the FAQ section.
kimigirl
Thank you cpiw2002 for the advise.

The tanks are splitting the seams that's why i'm getting a 75 or 100 gal soon.
The Matrix
QUOTE(kimigirl @ Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:52 am)
I know others advise against keeping Angels with the Golds. It's quite standard practice here since they eliminate Fish Lice.

Delilah was given to me by my fiance. 

Just an advice, do change water regularly if permitted. I am not too sure of your country water system, perhaps a site for us to view.

All your fish are suffering from nitrate poisoning. Fishes look very weak, filmsy and lack of shine. Angelfish is used not just for lice, but for hookworms.

Your fiance is a good man. That's a not too bad oranda.
kimigirl
Thanks for the tip!

I'll check the levels again. I'll post updated photos as soon as I can figure out a way to take them clearly. The ones posted earlier were zoomed and cropped.

I appreciate the help! I could use it! I change my water every 10 days. They seemed to grow faster rather than every 2 weeks. I have an aquarium technician come in once in a while to check if everything's ok.
kimigirl
My water levels as of 10 minutes ago.

NO3 - 0-10
NO2 - 0
GH - 3
KH - 0
pH - 7.6

Are these levels within the acceptable range?
desireless
Hi kimi,

The parameters look ok.

Except I noticed that you do not buffer the water.

Please read up on PH Buffer here.

I suposed your tank is cycled? What is the ammonia level?
The Matrix
QUOTE(desireless @ Sun, 31 Jul 2005 9:40 pm)
Hi kimi,

The parameters look ok.

Except I noticed that you do not buffer the water.

Please read up on PH Buffer here.

I suposed your tank is cycled? What is the ammonia level?

What we discuss here are for local water only. Do you see any different between our water and what kimi wrote ???

GH !!!

Kimi, if possible, I will need to know your municipal water supply web site. Else, very difficult to provide any advice.
desireless
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Sun, 31 Jul 2005 9:46 pm)
What we discuss here are for local water only. Do you see any different between our water and what kimi wrote ???

GH !!!

Kimi, if possible, I will need to know your municipal water supply web site. Else, very difficult to provide any advice.

What I am wanting to discuss here is just about water's PH BUFFER only, nothing about GH.

There is a difference between buffering capacity (Carbonate Hardness, KH) and Permanent Hardness of water.

First of all,
Total Hardness (sometimes known as GH) = KH (Carbonate Hardness) + Permanent Hardness

KH = 0 degree, means the water is not well buffered. Period.
KH = 0 degree & GH = 3, degree means that the permanent hardness dominates the Total Hardness in the water.

I want to bring her attention to a water's buffering capacity, which can be measured by KH. I am well aware that she is not from Singapore. Hence, I am not interested to know about the General Hardness value here because it is a measurement of Magnesium and Calcium ions, which has nothing to do with buffering capacity in her water, which is something I wanted to bring her attention to.

Yes, checking the municipal water of a country will be good. But to really talk about pH buffer, all you need to know is the carbonate/bicarbonate ions contents in their water, which is measurable with the KH. Knowing about the chlorides, sulphates, Magnesium, Calcium etc ions is of no concern as they affect only the pH level but not the buffering capacity
The Matrix
sigh .... nevermind. Let u handle this .
desireless
Eh... Why this kind of response? dunno.gif

Anything wrong in what I say you have to correct me mah. Else, nobody learns anything.

Teaching a newbie the wrong thing is a great sin and I do not want to be guilty of that.
kimigirl
cry.gif don't argue guys! PLEASE!! beg1.gif

I appreciate any advise given.

thankyousign.gif:

I want to learn as much as I can about taking care of Goldfish.

My problem at the moment is that my temp is too high. It's at room temperature at the moment. 81o F. Could this be a factor that's why they look lazy?
desireless
Oh don't worry we are not arguing. This kind of technical doubts must be cleared else we cannot learn. I can still be wrong sometimes... blush.gif You can also learn along as we try convincing each other.

Anyway, that's about the same temp as here. It shouldn't be a problem.

Fish displaying lethargy could be a tell-tale sign of sickness...
kimigirl
That's good to hear. I'm glad.

Actually, I think these fish are playing a trick on me!!!
It's a tank conspiracy!!!!!!!!

They're so funny to watch though.

Question? ...

What do I do with tail nippers? I think they stress out the other fish who keeps swimming away from them.
desireless
Can you please show us a picture of a tail nipple? dunno.gif
kimigirl
Oh, I meant a fish that keeps biting the other fish's tails. blush.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.