Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unwanted Guests
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
goldrush
Mornin guys

I got myself over the holiday my very first auto feeder and played with it to get a feel of its ingenious mechanism that facilitates the feeding schedule.Though not much of a complain of its physical presentation and simplicity in installing it,my concern was confirmed the very next day when my loading within the compartment were swarmed with ants which were carrying loads of their precious find back to their nest.God knows how much food are lost through their busy schedule!Wonder whether bros here encounter such attacks and possible loss of food through unwanted guests like lizards crockroaches and what have you.This possibilities hold true especially those that install their auto feeders in outdoor farms as compared to indoor security.But again the indoor are not spared of such occasional visits dry.gif
My worry is not so much of food loss but the potential health hazards it can bring to our fishes.God knows what they will bring along their entourage,esp roaches with each visit.I'm not qualified to ascertain these vector"s contribution to fish diseases directly but indirectly they will certainly contaminate food with their contact resulting in either rancidity or decomposition of our feed.No wonder our fish still fall sick given our stringent water management and refraining from live/frozen feed!
Guess that there is little we can do to prevent such an outbreak courtesy of such creepy crawlies............. mad.gif

regards

goldrush

IPB Image
CyberET
wah! good stuff! live food!
CP
If there are pests, its only ants, but so far the one in my home no problems.

To me, AF is indispensable ofr people like us who have a full time job yet need to feed our pets 5 to 6 times a day esp BBRs.
CyberET
i got spider egg sacks biggrin.gif good stuffs le
goldrush
I load my with "chanko" mini crumbs so maybe easier for the ants to carry on their mouths to their nest.Somehow after one day there is significant loss of food.I initially ration it to one mark of food being dispense each time but when I came back to check there is a marked loss. of food within the compartment.Sorry cp those ants also know Ho Liao($80/kg).........1g of food loss means 8 cents gone! cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif
PKTAN
QUOTE(goldrush @ Thu, 11 Aug 2005 3:15 pm)
I load my with "chanko" mini crumbs so maybe easier for the ants to carry on their mouths to their nest.Somehow after one day there is significant loss of food.I initially ration it to one mark of food being dispense each time but when I came back  to check there is a marked loss. of food within the compartment.Sorry cp those ants also know Ho Liao($80/kg).........1g of food loss means 8 cents gone! cry.gif  cry.gif  cry.gif

Look like the Mac Ads lately.. your case is "food jack" sweatingbullets.gif

One stupid question here, possible for you to position the auto-feeder at the center of the tank? I mean maybe connect to a under water string or stick? then the ants will need a shipwrecked.gif: to get to the middle of the food liao rolleyes.gif
CP
Wah liao you use it to feed your blackie already see beh tulan liao now using it for ants????!!!!! mad.gif
white horse T1
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Thu, 11 Aug 2005 1:05 pm)
If there are pests, its only ants, but so far the one in my home no problems.

To me, AF is indispensable ofr people like us who have a full time job yet need to feed our pets 5 to 6 times a day esp BBRs.

i found one piece being carried by the ant from the tank AF to the floor, a good 3 metre. but all kill by my shelltox ......
goldrush
QUOTE(cpiw2002 @ Thu, 11 Aug 2005 4:13 pm)
Wah liao you use it to feed your blackie already see beh tulan liao now using it for ants????!!!!! mad.gif

Bro I already upgrade their accomodation to a 5x3 after they have returned from their indoor facility.See below for the setup of my AF.Anyway to secure AF to the side of the tub?I just leave it on top of my netting in the middle of the tank.
Enclosed is the latest update of the fish as well.

IPB Image

IPB Image
CP
1)The netting grids looks too fine.May have problem with bigger pellets.Try using those plastic light diffusers of about 1cm grid.Just span it at the corner of the tub and rest your AF on it.

2)I use double sided tape and fix mine permanently.You may wish to try.
IPB Image

3)You need to protect the AF from rain outdoors.Can use a plastic cover.

4)If possible,load the amount of food to last just 3 or 4 days,instead of weeks, for better freshness.

5)Do not set the feeder too near to the water surface.Moisture, or droplets from the air bubbles may cause fungus to grow on the food.

6)Use feeds that does not absorb moisture easily, such as Hikari Lionhead not those Super donowat stuff.

7)Use alkaline batteries.Can last abt 2 months from a setting of 3 feeds per day.

8)One last no brainer advise - do not drop it into the water!!Haha, you laugh, but trust me, happened to many.Shd that happens, it may still work, but the mechanism inside will be devoid of its grease, will start to rust, thus shorten the battery life as more energy is required to turn it.

p/s - The fishes look good.Which one is mine har? uhm.gif
goldrush
Problem is securing it to the side of the tub I doubt double sided tape can withstand the weight and moisture from the rain In time it will give way.I try to use those cling on plastic netted container but the depth may be too low and may submerge if rain water fill up the tub during heavy downpour.So I just rest over the netted surface and cover it with a plastic container to prevent rain from entering

Yours is the extreme right one.sorry for the poor quality pic. just have a quick snap before the sun went down so quality very poor.
ranchu8
I don't know whether cpiw is referring to the same thing but the white plastic square grids that can be purchased from aquarium shops is useful. The pellets will fall through surely.

As regards ants etc, i use those bait like small pellets which the ants carry back to their nest. Sold at NTUC etc, can be placed at the bottom of the tank along ant trail.
ball
Sometime I see those ants, I just throw them into the pond. I suppose they got eaten alive.
ranchu8
QUOTE(ball @ Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:22 pm)
Sometime I see those ants, I just throw them into the pond. I suppose they got eaten alive.

May be a stupid question, but do all ants just die immediately when swallowed by goldfish, ie they bite before they die? laugh.gif
goldrush
QUOTE(ranchu8 @ Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:19 pm)

As regards ants etc, i use those bait like small pellets which the ants carry back to their nest.  Sold at NTUC etc, can be placed at the bottom of the tank along ant trail.

Thxs for the info ranchu8.Willsprnkle around to attract them to take the bait good.gif
mountain
Be sure nobody has sprayed anything onto the insect that u intend to feed to the fish.
its worst then feeding them live tubifex. Ever wonder why a perfectly okay super red arowana can die within 1 minute?
desireless
QUOTE(ranchu8 @ Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:19 pm)

As regards ants etc, i use those bait like small pellets which the ants carry back to their nest.  Sold at NTUC etc, can be placed at the bottom of the tank along ant trail.

This is useful to eradicate ant colony. I used one "cock" brand (picture of a cock on the packet) and it is able to wipe out the whole ant colony within a week. I believe it is poison mixed with some scent that attracts ants.

But what if your fish eat those contaminated ants... ummm... no.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.