Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Duckweed
RafflesGold Forums > Buy / Sell > RafflesGold Hotspots!
Pages: 1, 2
vlye
Can any bros tell me where to find duckweed in SG nowadays? Been looking around but no luck.
jhansolo
Make friends with the local fish shop most of time you get them for free.
Ranchu Lover
QUOTE(vlye @ Wed, 07 Sep 2005 11:39 am)
Can any bros tell me where to find duckweed in SG nowadays?  Been looking around but no luck.

A shop at Farmart sells it for $1/- to $2/- per packet. After that you can culture your own duckweed.
vlye
QUOTE(Ranchu Lover @ Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:14 pm)
A shop at Farmart sells it for $1/- to $2/- per packet. After that you can culture your own duckweed.

Hi Ranchu Lover, Thanks, that's what i am planning to do. Looks like I have to wait for the weekend to go there. I was just told that Nature Aquarium in thomson road also has it, will check that out also. Nearer for me.
goldrush
Grow yourself in some unused tub.Very economical,everlasting production,no fuss except you need SUN.SUN SUN..............

IPB Image
vlye
Thanks for the info bros. What do you guys do to make sure the duckweed is clean enough for your fish consumption? Always wanted to try but hesitate because worried about contamination.
CP
Dont use fertiliser, just tank water.Then no need to worry abt contamination.
The Matrix
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 07 Sep 2005 1:06 pm)
except you need SUN.SUN SUN..............

Stephanie Sun ?

Sun only dried up become kiam chye liao lah ... water and sun lah.
vlye
QUOTE(CP @ Wed, 07 Sep 2005 2:53 pm)
Dont use fertiliser, just tank water.Then no need to worry abt contamination.

Thanks CP, when you first get the duckweed, I expect that the water it is in may have parasites/bacteria etc. So what do you normally do, just wash clean and feed? Or do you sterilize first eg, with PP solution ?
CP
I bought from Farmart, no sterilaization whatsoever lah, just feed.
So far no problems.
jhansolo
QUOTE(vlye @ Wed, 07 Sep 2005 4:32 pm)
Thanks CP, when you first get the duckweed, I expect that the water it is in may have parasites/bacteria etc. So what do you normally do, just wash clean and feed? Or do you sterilize first eg, with PP solution ?

How you wash duckweed? if you are concern about the source then PP would take them out.
goldrush
ok the initial source of duckweed can be disinfected with pp(up to 16ppm no problem)Subsequently leave some excess to seed further production within the same water source.Parasites need hosts to survive also ,so if there is no fish host wtihin a water source for a period,parasites would not survive as well except through encysting themselves.

Without Sun no duckweed can flourish,needless to add that water is essential.Need I go to spell out the requirements of germination of seed and plant ie water,warmth and air to complete the list of requirements Matrix!
The Matrix
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 07 Sep 2005 9:52 pm)
Need I go to spell out the requirements of germination of seed and plant ie water,warmth and air to complete the list of requirements Matrix!

hahahahaha peace.gif

withdrawl syndrone without Superstar show lah ... cry.gif
goldrush
Hey bro Max

Sounds like you are a die hard fan of this programme and really miss the excitement ya.Hope fully it is not able to keep you in the DARK and render your brain WEAK of our discussion here on DUCKWEED.
top_view_ranchu
Please enlighten me. I thought a few fishes will keep the Ministry of Enviroment away?
Also to provide fertilizer?

Thanks,
David Hou
goldrush
Now this is the tricky part of ecology.On one hand we are afraid of water being a breeding ground for mosquitoes while on the other we may introduce unwanted parasites if any aquatic life form is use to keep the insects at bay.I think a handful of guppies from a relative clean environment should do the trick to maintain larvae free water and provide nutrients in the form of nitrates for your duckweed.
Now I must stress that only a few fish are required and you might have to time and time cull off excess to maintain population so as not to degrade water condition .A period of stabilisation or quarantine should be factored to ensure the guppy initial die off before they settle in their environment.So it is not advisable to feed the duckweed at this stage for fear of contamination from source.However this is never full proof and an element of risk of infection cannot be entirely ruled out in all enclosed water system
The Matrix
aiyo ... I recalled someone got a good method to grow the duckweed. erh ... is it CHLeong ? Put duckweed in tank but the fish can see cannot eat.

each tank put a bit and let them grow. so if got parasites, also the same fish in the same tank.
vlye
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 07 Sep 2005 9:52 pm)
ok the initial source of duckweed can be disinfected with pp(up to 16ppm no problem)Subsequently leave some excess to seed further production within the same water source.Parasites need hosts to survive also ,so if there is no fish host wtihin a water source for a period,parasites would not survive as well except through encysting themselves.
Without Sun no duckweed can flourish,needless to add  that water is essential.Need I go to spell out the requirements of germination of seed and plant ie water,warmth and air to complete the list of requirements Matrix!

That's what I am afraid of , dormant parasites stuck to the roots or leaves. There is an element of risk here, up to the individual to decide whether it's worthwhile. Same as for frozen live food.
CHLeong
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu, 08 Sep 2005 8:54 am)
aiyo ... I recalled someone got a good method to grow the duckweed. erh ... is it CHLeong ? Put duckweed in tank but the fish can see cannot eat.

each tank put a bit and let them grow. so if got parasites, also the same fish in the same tank.

Thanks Matrix for remembering me! Sometimes must "tekan" the fish mah.
And now then you warn me about parasites! No wonder my fish start to look green and has roots growing out of the anus!
Damn!

Rgds
CHLeong
iso7012003
is it the same thing that you all mentioned here?

here's the picture

IPB Image
ranchu8
QUOTE(iso7012003 @ Sun, 18 Sep 2005 1:37 am)
is it the same thing that you all mentioned here?

QUOTE(iso7012003 @ Sun, 18 Sep 2005 1:41 am)
here's the picture

sorry, i don't understand your question ... what's the picture of?
desireless
That's algae.

I believe many jap breeders are using that to feed their ranchu kept in clear water.

Duckweed is in the picture Doc posted sometime back:
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 07 Sep 2005 1:06 pm)
Grow yourself in some unused tub.Very economical,everlasting production,no fuss except you need SUN.SUN SUN..............

iso7012003
Here's another picture

\"IPB
The Matrix
hahahaha getting more and more confusing liao.
goldrush
QUOTE(iso7012003 @ Sun, 18 Sep 2005 1:41 am)
here's the picture

Looks like WASABI or GREEN TEA POWDER MIX leh
iso7012003
this wasabi / green tea power is the thing that Mr. Kashino used to feed his bbr
take a look at this

http://www.ranchushop.com/Scope/Shop_Scope...hino_47_27.html

my question is whether this so-called wasabi / green tea power is duckweed or not.
desireless
Hi Iso,

As I have mentioned, they are 2 different things.

Duckweeds looks like little floating leaves. This are duckweed pictures:
IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image

In the picture which you have posted, that's algae:
IPB Image

Notice you need those fine nets to collect algae.
If you look further to the link you have shown, algae when consolidated in lumps, looks like wasabi indeed.
http://www.ranchushop.com/Scope/Shop_Scope...hino_47_28.html
ranchu8
i may be wrong, but the photos with Mr Kashino is that of Japanese duckweed; anyone with info on this? smile.gif
desireless
QUOTE(ranchu8 @ Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:59 am)
i may be wrong, but the photos with Mr Kashino is that of Japanese duckweed; anyone with info on this? smile.gif

Look at the photos again. Examine them closely.

There's no dispute those are algae.

No way duckweed can form this kind of wavy pattern.
IPB Image

And if you're a chinese, you will understand from the word "藻" that it is algae.
IPB Image
goldrush
Have a look at the picture on this thread about surface identification on a pond and decide for yourself whether algae or duckweed.See the difference.Duckweed is the smallest flowering plant around so being a higher plant it has roots and even flowers while algae are simple plants which do not possess either

http://www.umaine.edu/WaterResearch/FieldG.../onthewater.htm

Your wasabi looks more like Gleotrichia

look over here for more info on it

http://www.mainecola.org/gleotrichia.htm
iso7012003
compare with Duckweed, my fish loves to eat this wasabi plants
a closer look of this wasabi

IPB Image
ranchu8
interesting smile.gif i asked before and i was told in a different forum that there are different varieties of duckweed and the Japanese version is finer - is there 1 version of duckweed in Singapore and does duckweed biologically/technically refer to 1 type worldwide?

ps the photos with Mr Kashino - the duckweed looks too fine compared to the duckweed found in Sing; but also this (if) algae doesn't appear to disperse in the water when placed in it (like free floating algae)??
goldrush
I think there are some 38 species of duckweed in the family of Lemnaceae of which Wolffia sp is the smallest(1mm).I am no expert in botancal science but we need to see the real thing to be sure whether you have in hand is algae or duckweed.

For those really want to read further this thread should set the mood for duckweed digestion

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/plmar96.htm
desireless
QUOTE(iso7012003 @ Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:35 pm)
compare with Duckweed, my fish loves to eat this wasabi plants
a closer look of this wasabi

Wow.. this is indeed interesting.

Further probing into this, I realise I was wrong with the "藻" explanation. It can mean duckweed as well

仁丹藻 = Wolffia globosa, which is one species of duckweed family
( http://www.geocities.jp/conntextprex/siteki_kou.htm , scroll down to the bottom of page)

Iso, you're right that 仁丹藻 is indeed one member of the duckweed family. Sorry, I had caused you some confusion. salute.gif .

The link which Doc posted indeed has very useful info on this kind of plants. A more precise one here (same website):
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/wogl.htm
desireless
But it still does not mean that what Mr Kashino was netting back then in the pictures is this Wolffia globosa.

It has to be confirmed with Mr Kashino himself or someone near him... not from some guessing websites (as what we're doing it now hysterical.gif ).
desireless
QUOTE(ranchu8 @ Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:16 am)
interesting smile.gif i asked before and i was told in a different forum that there are different varieties of duckweed and the Japanese version is finer - is there 1 version of duckweed in Singapore and does duckweed biologically/technically refer to 1 type worldwide?

ps the photos with Mr Kashino - the duckweed looks too fine compared to the duckweed found in Sing; but also this (if) algae doesn't appear to disperse in the water when placed in it (like free floating algae)??

Like doc explained, there are plenty of species of duckweed. The one that iso has brought up (仁丹藻), is indeed a member of the duckweed family.

There are even more species (more than thousands) for algae. Some of them, like the blue algae which Doc brought up, are floating type. Some submerged algae, in the case of an algae bloom (harmful to environment), can cause floating scums too.

What Mr Kashino was netting in the picture back then, has yet to be confirmed. Perhaps Geert would have a better and closer answer to this... Maybe yes.gif

PS: Incidentally, I have seen a few different kind of duckweeds in SG. But they are mostly large ones.
goldrush
Correct me if I'm wrong but to tell whether floating plants or floating algae One has to be close enough to observe carefully.Any forms of floating plant even the smallest Wolffsia has a portion of thallus(leaf like structure)above water while algae must thrive totally submerge in water even on surface(it gives the glistening effect which is reflective under the sun)Both must be verified in its water environment without being scooped up.
So Mr Kashino must tell us himself if not it would be still leave us baffled and dumbfolded as to whether that is algae or duckweed?
The Matrix
When Kashino-san comes to Singapore, ask him personally lor. Or maybe ask the thai student of Kashino-san, sure to know mah.

so confusing leh ...
top_view_ranchu
Bro Samuel Phan once gave us some of the duckweed which he brought back from Thailand. Look like the ones iso is showing. Too bad I didn't manage to cultivate them. cry.gif
goldrush
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:05 am)
When Kashino-san comes to Singapore, ask him personally lor. Or maybe ask the thai student of Kashino-san, sure to know mah.

so confusing leh ...

I think even asking him may not be conclusive as you think ,as algae are so very often misquoted.Even my aircon service man says the algae accumulation is the cause of my blockage ..........Where got sun within our aircon system leh?????? lol.gif lol.gif
desireless
Oh yes, although it was discovered in California, USA, a similar string of Wolffia globosa is known as "khai-nam" (water eggs) in Thailand and is consumed, well... as human food eat.gif

goldrush
QUOTE(desireless @ Tue, 20 Sep 2005 2:10 pm)
Oh yes, although it was discovered in California, USA, a similar string of Wolffia globosa is known as "khai-nam" (water eggs) in Thailand and is consumed, well... as human food  eat.gif

Wah seem like you read thro the whole damn thread on Wolffia and are quite certain the whole truth of our discussion is confirmed.No more algae suspect? lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif
CP
Aiya, whether its algae, duckweed or chickenweed I think they all have more or less the same benefits ie enhance colouration and aids digestion.
So long as your goldfish have the luxury of feasting on any of those, its good enough.
iso7012003
More informtaion (I should say more photos)
http://lifeform.coomaru.com/kusa/011/
goldrush
QUOTE(CP @ Tue, 20 Sep 2005 2:28 pm)
Aiya, whether its algae, duckweed or chickenweed I think they all have more or less the same benefits ie enhance colouration and aids digestion.
So long as your goldfish have the luxury of feasting on any of those, its good enough.

I'm too WEAK to ALGUE liao nap1.gif
CyberET
whats there to algue?
doctor say its good to eat your greens oranda.gif
yamato38gunkei
Mr. Kashino feeds algae.

There are many kinds of algae and duckweed. I prefer to feed my Ranchu algae. I feel they prefer it to duckweed. But, I do not think that it is that important what king of algae or duckweed you feed. As long as your fish like it and as long as they get enough "vegetables". It is so good for their health, digestion, colour, scales etc.

Regards,

Geert Coppens
The Matrix
as long as not artificial enhanced food good enough.

any long term complications with constant duckweed feeding ? I wonder ...
goldrush
I think duckweed serves better as a dietary supplement rather than a staple.As it is harvested in high organic and often polluted waterways there is always a risk of contamination and possible infection outbreak .
But because of the folowing attributes,it is widely used and harvested especially in rural areas

1)It can be readily grown locally often in waste ponds that are polluted.

2)It can be fed fresh and since it floats, it may be totally used by fish feeding at their own pace

3)It is used very efficiently by fish as a component of the diet since it is particularly low in fibre and high in protein (up to 40%)when grown under ideal conditions.

4)It is relatively inexpensive to produce or may be regarded to have no cost where the opportunity costs of family labour are not taken into consideration.

As in all greens there are always far more benefits towards the digestive wellbeing of the fish and I see no long term damage if careful handling is executed before feeding.
CHLeong
QUOTE(goldrush @ Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:23 pm)
1)It can be readily grown locally often in waste ponds that are polluted.

Doc,
Must it be grown in waste polluted pond? Your answer is important to us, as we grow duckweed ourselves.

There were some posting about parasite from duckweed, any idea what kind of parasite?

Rgds
CHLeong
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.