Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Goldfish For Newbie?
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
atossg
Hi, anyone here an recommend a more hardy species of goldfish for newbie? Thanx!
desireless
Hi,

There is no goldfish species hardy enough to survive bad water parameters. Goldfish keeping requires a lot of time and patience. And it all revolves around giving them good water conditions and how you handle them.

This is what this forum is all about. So read around.
The Matrix
if u talking about fanciful goldfish, then u not ready for "hardy" species.

Probably go for the comet, shubunkin or wakin.
jhansolo
For the first time, my very (good parimeter wise) water have produced a floater. Had to put the fellow to isolation.
The Matrix
QUOTE(KokiBali @ Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:57 am)
Bro Matrix,

In your opinion, what is the easier variety to start with for a beginner? I just started few months ago, I kept ranchu, oranda and tosakin, but last month I experienced a sudden death. All losts. Now I start again to keep ranchus and tosakins, but I do not mix them in one tank because the ranchus are still small.

Thanks for your advise.
William

It's kinda interesting to really go into the finest point of keeping goldfish - over 600+ varieties. So not so "deep" here ...

Not matter which variety, the basic keeping must be very firm. I call it the foundation. In this forum, there are vast amount of such info, got to really go thru them and understand these knowledge.

Most start this goldfish hobby with ranchu or some cross bred ranchu. Big range to choose from and very popular. The other will by ryukin, short tail which is also a popular variety and should not be difficult to find a reasonable and affordable priced one. Require reasonable big space and good food for the head and body growth.

The next very popular variety is the oranda. Cute, adorable and graceful. The only long tail variety that make it into beginner's tank, probably due to the long history of Oranda some 300 yrs ago. Big eater .... hahahahaha.

These are the 3 main category of goldfish that really startup the hobby.

One that is not as popular, but the true representation of the modern day fanciful goldfish is none other than Dragon Eyes. Tough to keep them due to the protruding eyes. Similarly, celestial, bubbles eyes, are as difficult.

To my understanding, not many go for pearlscale. The same old "buy n died" saying never fail. One of the most sensitive fish due to the small head, large body and also maintaining the pearls is a real pain.

Every catergory has it's own beauty, unique keeping method, unique appreciation. It really depends on what a beginner really want. Follow the trend or follow the heart. There is no easy or hard variety.

Understand them, know them and importantly a systematic approach in keeping and appreciating them.
KokiBali
Thanks, Bro Matrix. I have 2 ranchus, about 4 cm and 6 cm from head to tail. Feed them 3 times a day with frozen bloodworm (morning and evening) and hikari pellet (noon). Use low current powerhead, probably around 3 times per hour, because the fishes are small. I use drinking/mineral water, because the tap water is not good. Is it sufficient?

Regards,
William
The Matrix
QUOTE(KokiBali @ Tue, 15 Nov 2005 5:55 pm)
Thanks, Bro Matrix. I have 2 ranchus, about 4 cm and 6 cm from head to tail. Feed them 3 times a day with frozen bloodworm (morning and evening) and hikari pellet (noon). Use low current powerhead, probably around 3 times per hour, because the fishes are small. I use drinking/mineral water, because the tap water is not good. Is it sufficient?

Regards,
William

I can't tell u exactly wat's good for yr fish. U got to judge yourself or maybe in a couple of weeks, take a few photo for the friends here to see.

U at Jakarta ? There should be a few groups of hobbyists that are quite good and a handful of them in the expert level. Do engage conversation with them and hear them out.
KokiBali
Thanks for your advise. Photos are uploaded in my thread: KokiBali's SVRs. Here are the latest one:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.