Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Music
RafflesGold Forums > Misc Rumble Area > Chit Chat & Gossip
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
desireless
QUOTE(peter porker @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 2:45 pm)
your Bros singles collection is really impressive. I thought I was hardcore enough...haha....the Jap edition is really expensive...

I think you will be showing us pictures of your Technics Mark II next.... lol.gif

hahaha... My turntable up car long ago... I had hundreds of vinyl records but now most cheap cheap sold to garang guni man liao.. Kept only a few memorable ones.... of a-ha's and some others' mint conditioned records..

Now I only want CD-PRO 2!!! hysterical.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 2:41 pm)
Baltimora died of AIDS in the 90's... silently until a fan pointed him out in the Orbituary.
FR David penned several hits made famous by other artistes. One of such was "Music". Not many knew it was written by him.
The Bangles are not one-hit wonder. They have hits like "Maniac Monday", "Walking Down your Street", "A Hazy Shade Of Winter", "Eternal Flame", "In Your Room", "If She Knew What She Wants", etc... until vocal Susanna Hoffs left them.
Village People.. I always wonder how they became GAY icon...  lol.gif

And yes PP... Holly Johnson is Sero-Positive.. but he won't die yet. If you happen to have FGTH's 1st make of "Relax" video... it's set in a gay pub and it featured and old gay simulating an indecent act with banana and his mouth... yuk.gif ..

Ah ken, anyone in the music industry looking for your hidden talent ? U practically a historian in music ! Soooooo detail !
peter porker
those were the wonderful days...the Thompson Twinses, the Howard Joneses, the the Whams, the Depeche Modes, the Alison Moyets, The Bronski Beats...unlike the nonsense you hear on radio nowadays...
desireless
QUOTE(peter porker @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 2:51 pm)
haha...if you look at the VP's costumes..you would know why they are gay icons...

Ah yes...the Relax video...that was really something huh? Welcome to the Pleasuredome was shocking as well...given its parade of sideshow freaks..

I always wondered what Holly Johnson meant by 'Relax..Don't do it...when you want to come'... no.gif

They openly said it was something about masturbation. And because of the gay theme in the video, it meant something even more....

So the song was BANNED in SG back in 1987 and early 90's. You can probably hear it on radio but on CD it is illegal.... Don't know what kind of rule is that.. The ban was lifted only in 1997(??).. which was about 10 years later.
peter porker
QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 2:56 pm)
They openly said it was something about masturbation. And because of the gay theme in the video, it meant something even more....

So the song was BANNED in SG back in 1987 and early 90's. You can probably hear it on radio but on CD it is illegal.... Don't know what kind of rule is that.. The ban was lifted only in 1997(??).. which was about 10 years later.

they were actually here in Singapore in the millenium, when they had the millenium party at Sentosa. But it wasn't Holly J. fronting them..some other guy who sounded remarkably like him. Sadly, nobody knew who they were and the response to them was lukewarm.
CP
The lyrics "Relax, dont do it, when you wanna cum....." and the garment banned it.

"Ah la la la li long long long long long, push it, push it some more" but they didnt ban it.

dntknw.gif: dntknw.gif: dntknw.gif:
desireless
QUOTE(CP @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:50 pm)
I did mention in one of my post.Got hooked on their debut album "Speak & Spell",almost every single song is solid!! good_very.gif
But, their subsequent releases sucks.
As for soft cell, the aqua man who wears make-up, only liked their "Tainted Love".

That guy's Marc Almond... front man of soft cell...errm.. no comments.
His best know hit happens to be "Tears Run Ring".. which ended with a funny trumpet solo... The extended version is very very good though

Talk about Ah qua.... Try compare him with PETE BURNS from Dead Or Alive.. The one who sang "You Spin Me Round (like a Record)".. totally "Queen".. Even single release they have he must dress in some womanly clothes.

he even went for surgery (Collagen Enhanced) to make his lips "more pouty"... Scary eh???

That's his style - "Tranny"
...And you won't believe this man has got a wife and kids.
peter porker
QUOTE(CP @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 3:03 pm)
The lyrics "Relax, dont do it, when you wanna cum....." and the garment banned it.
"Ah la la la li long long long long long, push it, push it some more" but they didnt ban it.

dntknw.gifdntknw.gifdntknw.gif:

it was two very different decades we were talking about..
peter porker
QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 3:03 pm)
His best know hit happens to be "Tears Run Ring".. which ended with a funny trumpet solo... The extended version is very very good though

Marc Almond's my favourite of all times, even now...he's still going strong..and Softcell have recently gotten back together again..
peter porker
QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 3:03 pm)
That's his style - "Tranny"
...And you won't believe this man has got a wife and kids.

trannies are still ok...how about those who look like normal men until you see them move and talk? haha....Andy Bell and Jimmy Sommerville comes to mind..
desireless
QUOTE(peter porker @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 3:15 pm)
trannies are still ok...how about those who look like normal men until you see them move and talk? haha....Andy Bell and Jimmy Sommerville comes to mind..

Ya agree... Jimmy Somerville is a good example

No trait at all.. but he "came out" long ago...

Limahl and Chris Lowe of PSB too... declared already. Don't look like leh..
desireless
And this came as the "SURPRISE OF THE CENTURY" for me...

Samantha Fox is a declared lesbian/homo!! She's no longer interested in guys!!! cry.gif

Surprised surprised.. I can heard of a lot of sighs..... I believe a lot of men tore down her pinups poster when she made that declaration.....

PS: Don't worry there's still Maria Carey...
CP
Other artistes who are XXY:

Boy George
David Bowie
Freddie Mercury (Queen)
jhansolo
One of the song that made a deep impression in me till this day is French guy FR David with his words. I just discovered that he play the guitar for Vangelis in the 70s.

Words don't come easy to me, how can i find a way to make you see ...
peter porker
QUOTE(CP @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 3:50 pm)
Other artistes who  are XXY:

Boy George
David Bowie
Freddie Mercury (Queen)

DB's married to Iman for ages....they even have 2 children.
CP
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 2:50 pm)

Wow CP, Prince and his purple rain !

I dont like Prince actually, except for his Purple Rain.I will turn up the volume full blast whenever I hear it playing on the radio.Problem is, 10 times out of 10,the DJ will cut off the song when it reaches the end where the electric guitar comes in.What the F, that is the best part of the song!! mad.gif Its the climax!!See beh tulan when that happens, but at least they dont do it to Hotel California.Cant imagine listening to Hotel California without the last electric guitar portion...........its like masturbating and unable to orgase............. rolleyes.gif
desireless
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 3:52 pm)
One of the song that made a deep impression in me till this day is French guy FR David with his words.  I just discovered that he play the guitar for Vangelis in the 70s.

Words don't come easy to me, how can i find a way to make you see ...

Another song which saw some artistes covered is "Music". "Rocker Blues" is also a nice one. FR David never showed his face until recent years.. in his 2000 singles "Words 2000".
IPB Image

The few CDs I have of him showed his back view only...
The Matrix
QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 3:29 pm)
And this came as the "SURPRISE OF THE CENTURY" for me...
Samantha Fox is a declared lesbian/homo!! She's no longer interested in guys!!!  cry.gif

Surprised surprised.. I can heard of a lot of sighs..... I believe a lot of men tore down her pinups poster when she made that declaration.....

PS: Don't worry there's still Maria Carey...

If she sings with Dolly Paton "Islands in the stream" ... we steam siah.

wat the heck, size matters.
desireless
QUOTE(felinefrend @ Wed, 14 Sep 2005 8:36 am)
I got one of my MT CD from Yishun 10 yrs ago - when no one was buying them anymore. My DJ friend said this to me "Piang! Of all the Ah Beng Bands u choose from the 80s - u choose the MOST AH BENG GROUP!" hahahaaaa

So u ah-beng lah??? brother louie louie louie - youre my heart you're my soul - maybe I take the cd to my car.... hahahaaa 80s Ah Lian on a revival ;)

HAHA... Yeah... most european music scene saw some really gangster-looking bands..

Silent Circle (Check out the "cock" hairstyle of the vocal). Famous for "Touch In The Night", ""

Alphaville. Famous for Forever Young, Dance With Me, Sounds Like A Melody

Limahl (and Kajagoogoo). Famous for "Neverending Story", "Too Shy"

Depeche Mode. very famous liao

Bananarama (Original 3). Ah Lians from the 80s
CP
QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 5:33 pm)
HAHA... Yeah... most european music scene saw some really gangster-looking bands..

My vote goes to the rock band KISS.
The Matrix
QUOTE(CP @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 3:59 pm)
I dont like Prince actually, except for his Purple Rain.I will turn up the volume full blast whenever I hear it playing on the radio.Problem is, 10 times out of 10,the DJ will cut off the song when it reaches the end where the electric guitar comes in.What the F, that is the best part of the song!! mad.gif Its the climax!!See beh tulan when that happens, but at least they dont do it to Hotel California.Cant imagine listening to Hotel California without the last electric guitar portion...........its like masturbating and unable to orgase............. rolleyes.gif

Hotel California only listen to the front guitar portion for audiophile testing. When they start to sing, i skip liao.

80s also featured many vocalists ... pure solid voice also. Dionne Warwick, Cher, Tina Turner, Kenny Rogers, longgan lychee (Lionel Richie) and his onglai long (All Night Long).

Where the heck is this band went to ... Fine Young Cannibals.
desireless
QUOTE(CP @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 5:43 pm)
My vote goes to the rock band KISS.

That's not "beng" already....
desireless
QUOTE(CP @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 3:50 pm)
Other artistes who  are XXY:

Boy George
David Bowie
Freddie Mercury (Queen)

And Trans-X.. of "Living On video" fame

The Matrix

Actually the world changed in the 80s. Thru music they conveyed the strongest message of today. And also the 1st telecast of Music in TV in very early 80s, MTV ver 1 lah. Everything politics era change.
CP
I guess the sophisication of music videos started in the early eighties.They were available earlier, but it was the Michael Jackson's Beat It and Thriller era that sees a massive change in the way music videos are produced.

I vaguely remember.....
Michael Jackson's superbly choreographed dances
The Police's black and white shoot of "every breath you take"
Aha's charcoal sketch music video
David Bowie's "China girl" shot in the nude by the beach shiok.gif
Duran Duran's "Girls on film" with many nude models!! shiok.gif drool.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(CP @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 6:32 pm)
I guess the sophisication of music videos started in the early eighties.They were available earlier, but it was the Michael Jackson's Beat It and Thriller era that sees a massive change in the way music videos are produced.

I vaguely remember.....
Michael Jackson's superbly choreographed dances
The Police's black and white shoot of "every breath you take"
Aha's charcoal sketch music video
David Bowie's "China girl" shot in the nude by the beach shiok.gif
Duran Duran's "Girls on film" with many nude models!! shiok.gif  drool.gif

The King of Pop MJ surely got this title for a reason you just mentioned and it was the MTV of Thriller that started the whole chain reaction ...

And he made another superb change in the 90s with Black and White MTV.
jhansolo
QUOTE(CP @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 6:32 pm)

MV is usually done with a very small budget with budding directors who like to strike out, if I'm not wrong Thriller tops the investment and a movie director was called in for this.

But in terms of sopfisication, the 80s have real funky music / dance movie like saturday night fever and fame propelled the music video to go big.
goldrush
Wah lao eh this thread must be rated as the fastest moving one.Within 5 days it has moved 9 pages already.U all have forgotten about goldfish keeping.Come to realise that apart from keeping fish we have a bunch of passionate,crazy,obsessive people of music interest here as well beg2.gif beg2.gif beg2.gif
white horse T1
I miss Donny and Marie Show....
" i m a little bit country , i'm little bit rock and roll"......

but that time, i still very small then huh...... lol.gif
desireless
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 6:54 pm)
MV is usually done with a very small budget with budding directors who like to strike out, if I'm not wrong Thriller tops the investment and a movie director was called in for this.

But in terms of sopfisication, the 80s have real funky music / dance movie like saturday night fever and fame propelled the music video to go big.

Yes that's true. It depends very much on the record company. So if one were to sign up with a small company (which is easier entry into the music scene), he will face low budget for video. Look at Kylie's "I Should Be So Lucky"... It was done on very tight budget. a-ha and Madonna on the other side signed up with big brothers like Warner Bros. Hence you can understanding why the video to a-ha's "Take On Me" (first video/singles) won so many awards (with the comic strip idea). And you'll never see low-budgetted Madonna's videos.

There were special cases too... For example Johnny Hates Jazz. They had 2 versions of the video to the songs "Shattered Dreams" and "I Don't Want To Be A Hero". At that time, Virgin Rec had tight budget for their MVs. After JHJ's record became multi-platinum (and $$ started rolling in), they re-did some of their videos.

To round up - It's all about $$.
CP
Music and hi-fi goes hand in hand.When i was studying and had no money, I promised myself to own a set of hifi system when I started working, consisting of:

Nakamichi tuner and cassete deck
Lynn Sondek turntable
Marantz pre and power amplifiers
Infinity speakers
Jamo speaker stands
Monster cable speaker wires

Now that I am already working and can afford them, lost interest liao.All i have is a $499 JVC mini hi-fi cum VCD player. biggrin.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(goldrush @ Thu, 15 Sep 2005 9:01 pm)
Wah lao eh this thread must be rated as the fastest moving one.Within 5 days it has moved 9 pages already.U all have forgotten about goldfish keeping.Come to realise that apart from keeping fish we have a bunch of  passionate,crazy,obsessive people of music interest here as well beg2.gif   beg2.gif  beg2.gif

came from the same era lah, Brit pop, Cantopop, JPop ... u pop we pop they pop lol.gif ... if u ask some youngsters to join in ... probably got to shift to the 90s period. R&B, soul and rap.

From Depeche mode ...
It's a competetive world, everything counts in large amounts.

Really love this group and their solid music.
peter porker
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:16 am)
came from the same era lah, Brit pop, Cantopop, JPop ... u pop we pop they pop  lol.gif ... if u ask some youngsters to join in ... probably got to shift to the 90s period. R&B, soul and rap.
From Depeche mode ...
It's a competetive world, everything counts in large amounts.

Really love this group and their solid music.

And the Grabbing Hands, grab all they can...heh heh...
LASERGUY

Silent Circle (Check out the "cock" hairstyle of the vocal). Famous for "Touch In The Night", ""

Alphaville. Famous for Forever Young, Dance With Me, Sounds Like A Melody

Limahl (and Kajagoogoo). Famous for "Neverending Story", "Too Shy"

Depeche Mode. very famous liao

Bananarama (Original 3). Ah Lians from the 80s

Don't forget U2 - back then they are raw and angry...... mad.gif
desireless
QUOTE(LASERGUY @ Fri, 16 Sep 2005 6:12 pm)
Don't forget U2 - back then they are raw and angry...... mad.gif

I cannot recall pix of them having funny hair style and looking like ah beng (street punks).

This is my definition of Beng-ness...
IPB Image
(Silent Circle always my example because the vocal's face dam KIAM PAH laugh.gif)

It is that kind of fashion, which if you walk in street in, you will get wallop for no reason at all hysterical.gif
The Matrix
erh ... i know a band called Styxx ... but dunno what they heck they sang. hahahaha. and a few rock bands J Geil band, Def Leppard, Scorpion and a song suddenly pop into my mind Dire Straits

TGIF !
desireless
These are rock bands...

I only know "Money For Nothing" from Dire Straits... Wonder where they do now... dntknw.gif:

Suddenly I remember this song "Swiss Boy"... anyone also know this? lol.gif the one that goes "kuku... kuku"
LASERGUY
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:03 am)
erh ... i know a band called Styxx ... but dunno what they heck they sang. hahahaha. and a few rock bands J Geil band, Def Leppard, Scorpion and a song suddenly pop into my mind Dire Straits

TGIF !

Eh, you think of XXX too much lah, it's STYX......
The Matrix
QUOTE(LASERGUY @ Sat, 17 Sep 2005 1:35 am)
Eh, you think of XXX too much lah, it's STYX......

oops ... 2 X only lah .. shiok.gif
CP
QUOTE(desireless @ Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:08 am)

I only know "Money For Nothing" from Dire Straits... Wonder where they do now...  dntknw.gif:

Go get their album "Brothers in Arms" (1985).
If you liked it then get "Love over Gold" (1983).

Or the live double album "Alchemy" (1984).

Their lead singer Mark Knopfler, IMO, is one the the best guitarist. The classical guitar in the track 'private investigations' and the electric guitar in the track 'Sultans of swing ( live version from Alchemy)' .................... good.gif
CP
There is only one mention of Philip Oakey........no one mentioned The Human League. Dont you want me baby........................!!!!!!!!!!

And, Orchestral Manouvres in the Dark (OMD).Very unique music...............their debut album containg the track Joan of Arc is simply marvellous.
desireless
Have wat...

QUOTE(desireless @ Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:37 pm)
Wah lau so easy...

1) Down Under - Men At Work

2) Together in electric dream - Philip Oakey (Human League) & Giorgio Moroder

3) Word up - Cameo

4) Call Me Al - Paul Simons
I have 4:

This Philip Oakey "looks" a bit like "XYZ" also... hmm.gif They have more members than the 3 always featured on album covers. Last album was in 2001.. lousy leh. My most favourite song from them is "Heart Like A Wheel" though.

Oh yeah OMD... indeed their style is quite different from the rest of pop music. Their singles are very hard to come by.... so they are considered very rare
desireless
CP,

Your idol birgits_giggle.gif is back with a vengence:

http://www.madonna.com/madonna/php/news.ph...D=826&content=1

\"IPB

And I thought this faked cover looks better:
IPB Image
(a lot of websites has listed this cover as the cover to the new album...How disappointed they were when she announced the former pic as the official cover.)
CP
yuk.gif good_no.gif yuks-big.gif tomato.gif faint.gif

Talking about fakes, reminds me of one Weird 'Al Yankovic.
Takes the greatest hits and changes the lyrics, quite funny actually.
desireless
Hahaha... I can remember his spoofed version of MJ's "Beat It!"

Just eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it
Get yourself an egg and beat it

hmm.gif
goldrush
My favorite was Weird Al Yankovic version of Madonna’s like a virgin from that album,I think is called: Dare to be stupid

Hey, like a surgeon
Cuttin' for the very first time
Like a surgeon
Organ transplants are my line…..
peter porker
QUOTE(desireless @ Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:20 pm)
Hahaha... I can remember his spoofed version of MJ's "Beat It!"

Just eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it
Get yourself an egg and beat it

hmm.gif

You guys obviously haven't heard nor seen (and I say this humbly) his version of American Pie, titled, The Saga Begins.

Using music from the song, he rewrote the lyrics to re-tell the entire story of Star Wars Ep 1: The Phantom Menace....and it was bloody good!

The chorus went like: My, my, this here Anakin guy, Maybe Vader later now he's just a small fry. He left his home, kissed his Mommy goodbye, saying 'Soon I'm gonna be a Je-di, soon I'm gonna be a Je-di'.

The video was fcuking funny; he was dressed up as Obi-Wan and he was playing the piano infront of an audience, which included Yoda!

You can only see the back view of Yoda but you cannot miss those ears.

You can catch the video here:

http://www.milkandcookies.com/keywords/weirdal/

Scroll down and click on the Saga Begins link.

Enjoy!
peter porker
QUOTE(desireless @ Tue, 27 Sep 2005 5:53 pm)
CP,

Your idol birgits_giggle.gif is back with a vengence:

http://www.madonna.com/madonna/php/news.ph...D=826&content=1

And I thought this faked cover looks better:

(a lot of websites has listed this cover as the cover to the new album...How disappointed they were when she announced the former pic as the official cover.)

the older she is, the scarier she looks. must be the English weather.
desireless
Hahaha.. I have to watch second time to see Yoda lol.gif

KNN.. beginning got emperor play piano for him one hahahaa

Good MTV, PP
peter porker
QUOTE(desireless @ Wed, 28 Sep 2005 1:54 pm)
Hahaha.. I have to watch second time to see Yoda  lol.gif

KNN.. beginning got emperor play piano for him one hahahaa

Good MTV, PP

I liked the part when he did the Jedi Force thing and the guitar flew into his hand. it was damn silly. hysterical.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.