Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planaria, AKA White Worms
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
HappyBuddha
For the first time ever, I saw white worms in my tank. What happen was I turned off the canister filter for a while, and when I re-started the canister filter, I was surprise to see my fishes frantically eating something. On closer examination I saw a lot of wiggling white worms and my fishes were busy catching them to feast on.

A quick search on the net shows they are Planaria. Relatively harmless and a source of proteins for your fishes. biggrin.gif

But there's also a claim that they might drill themselves and live/multiply on the gill of your fish.

So I decided to rid them. A medication called Vermex is highly recommended but I can't find it last evening at nearby LFS. So I bough an alternative recommendation:-

IPB Image

It's commonly referred to as the "Magic Purifying Powder".

Has anyone use it to get rid of white worms in their tank before? No where on the packaging mention anything about white worms... and no info on ingredients either. There's a line printed that says, however, "You may not change water after adding this powder at least one month."

Holysmoke, tell me it's true! biggrin.gif
goldie
I have the same problem before. Tried Vermex and it's effective. I got this stuff from C328.
void
To get rid of the white worms, you can introduce a few angel fish into the aquarium... they will wipe out the entire colony... What's more they will eat the argulus... yes.gif
LASERGUY
QUOTE(void @ Wed 11 Feb 2004 05:46 PM)
To get rid of the white worms, you can introduce a few angel fish into the aquarium... they will wipe out the entire colony... What's more they will eat the argulus...  yes.gif

Har... remember seeing in some Indonesia website for goldfish stated that they put in angel fishes together with their goldfish in the tub/pond. I wonder whether it is because of this reason ? unsure.gif
void
QUOTE(LASERGUY @ Wed 11 Feb 2004 06:34 PM)
Har... remember seeing in some Indonesia website for goldfish stated that they put in angel fishes together with their goldfish in the tub/pond. I wonder whether it is because of this reason ? unsure.gif

yes.gif yup... that is a common practice in Indonesia... the angel fish are said to eat the argulus... and sometimes the anchor worms... shiok.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(goldie @ Wed 11 Feb 2004 04:30 PM)
I have the same problem before. Tried Vermex and it's effective. I got this stuff from C328.

I wanted Vermex as it is specifically formulated to get rid of white worms but... it was late evening and most LFS were already closed.

Here's Vermex's product info for those of you interested.

Do you remember how much a bottle cost you? Thanks.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(LASERGUY @ Wed 11 Feb 2004 06:34 PM)

I gathered from quite a few posts in AF that the recommendation here in Singapore is to use either guppies or Tiger Barbs to eat up all the white worms. It's claimed they can finish the job in a day or two.

I don't want to opt for this method since I will want to quarantine the guppies first, or risk introducing bad parasites when all I wanted is to get rid of relatively harmless white worms. smile.gif
square_guy
there really isn't a good long term solution for the white worms. once it is there, it will always be there no matter how many times you applied vermex (imagine the cost!). they will just come back after a while. save the money. u know how much money LFS has already earn from aro keepers laugh.gif

best way to reduce them. change water. they shd be at minimal given that we change water a lot unlike aro keeper.
CyberET
if treated and eradicated properly.. i don't think will come back right? whats the adult stage of the worm? or is the worm the adult stage?
mrchoco
my angel fish will eat the worms.
but after a while will nib my ranshu's tails!
mad.gif

make sure take out the ranchus before adding the powder. the worms will all appear and flood the whole tank.....
void
QUOTE(mrchoco @ Sat 14 Feb 2004 06:45 PM)
my angel fish will eat the worms.
but after a while will nib my ranshu's tails!
mad.gif

hmm... maybe the angel fish nib your ranchu tails becos got some worms or other parasites (harmless types)... unsure.gif
HappyBuddha
I failed to mentioned that the amount of white worms in my tank weren't a lot. I had turned off my canister and they got purged out. I delibrately turned off my canister again the following day for an hour, just to see how many would get purged out. Much to my surprise, about the same amount! I thot my fishes have eaten up most of them.

I knew the problem isn't serious but went to C328 to buy Vermex, but I didn't when I saw it's $12 for 10ml. I decided to apply the cheap cheap "magic powder" instead.

Goosh, I'm surprise it actually works. Within 5 minutes after blending it to the water, the same old amount of white worms came out, but unlike last time, mostly dead!!

I off my canister the following day. This time I'm happy to note there are so few white worms the amount is totally insignificant; I had to look hard to find them in the tank.

As it is now, I declare my tank white-worms free. tongue.gif

No fish were harm or exhibited any strange behavior after applying the powder.

Oh... kekeke... the magic powder did make my water crystal clear. I think "no water change for one month..." is possible.

muhahahahaha. peace.gif
ColinShen
Hi guys,

My tank is oso infected with these white worms wriggling around d whole tank.. so i was wondering if i added tat 'magic powder', will all my BB die & i got to cultivate it from scratch?

Thanks
CP
These "magic powders" does not rid the worms and does not harm BB.

They merely binds suspended solids in the water into bigger lumps so that they settle or easily trapped by your filter making your tank water look crystal clear.
goldy
Folks,

I followed instructions and used 8 drops of Vermex in my 95% filled Five Plan 2-ft tank. It did not get rid of the worms but my one and only ranchu in the tank ended up listless, not swimming and breathing hard after 2 days. Water change to reduce amt of medication in the tank but too late. After another 4 days of struggle, it died.

Another tank of 2 ryukins survived only for 4 days and died.
desireless
Nah beh... with my fishes out of tank for the few days for aquarama 2005, I just realise that the fishless tank (which I have purposely kept it running) is infested with Planaria. Some of them were floating in the water freely and wriggling. The rest... imagine the whole 4-ft tank tank floor covered with white wriggling stuffs. And... I also realised there were some daphnia in the water too!! Where the hell do they come from?? All of them are seen to live in harmony with each other and feeding on my wall algae. Imagine the green becomes pale because of the worms. It present an exact picturesque of the song "Ebony... and I-vory... live together in per-fect har-mony.. side by side in my fishless cycled tank, why don't we..ee..ee...."

NI NIAH EH YAO XIU KUT! mad3.gif

I PP the water with 2ppm... then up to 4ppm... then up to 6ppm.. now 30mins already passed and the worms are still alive.... Seems like it is not working.

So how? Should I get magic powder works or Vermex?
desireless
Ummm... I guess PP works after all. yes.gif

More than an hour after the PP bomb, most of the worms were motionless. But still some stubborn ones wriggling on the tank floor. Even so, I am worried about the BB colony in my tank.. I believe they are almost wiped out , 7 7 8 8 already. Better neutralize it before they wipe out totally.

Try out another method when I wake up later...
goldrush
Desireless

You shouldn't have done what you ain't suppose to do............
All you need to do was to throw in any fish to vacuum out the planaria worms and daphnias.That would not have damaged your BB and yet provide a nutritious free meal for any fishes!
desireless
All fishes at home are in quarantine leh...
white horse T1
QUOTE(desireless @ Wed, 01 Jun 2005 4:54 pm)

wah dracula wake up already? long nap
LASERGUY
QUOTE(desireless @ Wed, 01 Jun 2005 4:54 pm)

Brother, should ask me mah, I can lend you few fishes to help clean up the worms.
My fishes normally enjoy their weekly worm feast after water change.... though someone mentioned before that these worm might be harmful to their gills (???), but mine seems to be okay leh....
goldrush
Have a look at this article on planaria worms written by Majid Ali.
It is true that massive amount can and will irritate the gills of fishes

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/manage...aria_Worms.html

goldrush
desireless
Yes the gill is one worrying problem when I chose to eradicate the worms.
medusa99
Need some advise. cry.gif

I notice some kind of worms in my fish tank, not sure what is it or how it get there?

Description of worm

white color, wriggling, abt 1-5mm long.

Hope anyone can advice how to treat this, how it will affect the fish. So far what I've done was discard away used filter, soaked the bio carbonate in hotwater. tho it seems to help but it will come back later.
The Matrix
hot water will work fine for the equipments. But did u soak your fish in hot water to remove the worms ??? hmmm ... no.gif

find a de-worm medication lah. one of your fish is in bad shape.
Also your water parameter is running sky high and out of control.

hmmm ... u keeping guppies right ? use them as to eat up the worms.
CP
These are Planaria.Relatively harmless.just let your fishes feast on them.You can read more about them here:

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2840
supzfier
I used those "CLEAR water" kind of solution to "clear" them last time. i think it lumps them together, or maybe the chemical kills them. You will find your fishes responding negatively to the solution when it is first poured in, but they'll be fine...

try to feed lesser
medusa99
what name is the magic powder you guys refering to? where do I get it from aside from c328?

thanks
CP
There are 2 types commonly found in LFS- one in yellow packaging in which I cant remember the name off hand; another in blue packaging called "badun".

Both are relatively cheap, $2 for packs of 5 if I remember correctly...........
junye
hmmm think can start lookin for badun.
haa. worms appearing on close look yesterday night. mostly dead though.
weird.
my neighbour tank on the other hand had worms party in his tank!
haa. horrid sight!

QUOTE(CP @ Tue, 20 Sep 2005 9:31 am)
There are 2 types commonly found in LFS- one in yellow packaging in which I cant remember the name off hand; another in blue packaging called "badun".

Both are relatively cheap, $2 for packs of 5 if I remember correctly...........

chochiss
angle fish solution? aren't they aggressive? they are fins nippers though...have to bear this in mind before implementing
desireless
Yes, I have seen some fellow hobbyists using angel fish as a solution.

If you are running on IOS, you can spare a small compartment for putting a small angel fish in. Or you can put a divider in your tank to spare a small corner for the angel fish.
chochiss
if the angle fish can't roam around....then how to eradicate this problem completely? but placing then into a partitioned corner.....these angles can't eat the worms located at other areas of the tank. unsure.gif

besides angle fish...any other small fishes that will do the job? how bout cory or neon tetra as per say? rusure.gif
desireless
You need the angel fish to roam around if you are using it to tackle crustacean parasite problem. But if you have QT your fish well, there's no worry for this.

As planaria colony usually infests in the filter, it is best to place one there. No problem for IOS but it won't work for other types of filter. If you're worried that the angel might nibble the tail of your goldfishes, you can partition the angel fish with divider at the outlet or inlet of your filter.
chochiss
pretty good idea. besides anglefish....any other option? smaller fishes perhaps?
gohks
QUOTE(chochiss @ Thu, 11 May 2006 1:49 pm)
pretty good idea. besides anglefish....any other option? smaller fishes perhaps?

Swordtail, Molly good.gif
chochiss
balloon molly?
gerrard8
my tank is infested with tiny white worms all around the surface..izzit becoz of the unclear eggs??i left the eggs in the tank hoping that the male could fertilze it but it hasnt..so what should i do now??hope do i get rid of them??anyone can help??

sorry for creating a new thread,maybe this thread have been discuss already but i just couldnt find a similar thread to mine so i decided to create one...
goldrush
Search for planaria and you get the answer
gerrard8
i'm gonna do a 100% WC and wash eveything with hot water including the tank and change all the filter media..will it work??
supzfier
one way is those super clean water treatment thingys

they clump the worms together although the fishes will not like the treatment
namrfigk
u mean "baodun" crystal clear water. comes in blue box with blue packs inside.
CyberET
should help, don't scald yourself smile.gif
Fishery
there really isn't a good long term solution for the white worms. once it is there, it will always be there no matter how many times you applied vermex (imagine the cost!). they will just come back after a while. save the money. u know how much money LFS has already earn from aro keepers

best way to reduce them. change water. they shd be at minimal given that we change water a lot unlike aro keeper.

I support the above solution given by square guy.I myself got the problem when I setting up my planted tanks while I am anxious to get the waters really for fish to eat the snail and I change 10% of water and found out acutally its kill all the white worms that all over the glass.I not sure how much you need to change but its do the jobs.What I feel you add one thing in you create another problems.
kelvintam
lau hia, I change water 100% every 3 days still get Planaria. 2 ryukins only leh... Warlau straight away search for this thread. Bo pian la, bought 5 angel fish quarantine for a week. Once I put in straight away on the job liau. Keeping my fingers crossed, hopefully they wont attack my 2 ryukins.
ching4791

adding angel fish is seen like adding more problem for your goldfish, angel fish is way too aggressive.

Vermex is good but costly,

Magic powder contain montmorillonite clay it's very good it not just blind the worms it also can improves water quality.

bennibrave
Hi all, personally i have had this worms before and it caused many of my goldfish to pass away due to side complications like gill flukes.

I have tried Vermax, yes it is effective and will clear most of the worms but most probably they still come back due to the eggs and less than 1% of worms still hiding in the hidden areas such as filter media or sumps etc.

Also before that i did a revamp and treated my media ,washed it and dry them but still they come back to haunt me. I tried PP also for 2 days but it still came back... tough hellof a worm

I managed to keep their population under control but cant eradicate them completely.

Now i am trying this product zagro: wormkiller, i wanna try put few guppies to help eat the worms ...will it help? or can u recommend anything better?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.