Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For Goldfish History Lovers
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
kingyoo
Ok, as suggested in this thread here are some interesting goldfish history stuff.

I have purchased some books and found old articles about goldfish. I will post here on this thread any cool things I dig up.

My motivation is just to share with all the goldfish lovers. Personally, I have begun research to see what breeds are long gone and if there is a chance to bring some back with selective breeding. My hope is to breed a variety that used to be called a fringetail moor. It looked like a black telescope with very long (3x the length of the body) and broad tail. The tail fins were not solid in color, but sheer like curtains. It did sometimes have an indents in the lobes. Very elegant and beautiful.

Ok, according to a book written in the early 1880s. Yep, over 120 years ago.....

They classed the different breeds as species. So goldfish from Japan were designated as the species, "Carassius japonicus". Goldfish from China were "Carassius orientalis". I have not yet discovered when it was decided that all goldfish were one species, Carassius auratus! This book only declares the common goldfish as Carassius auratus.

Some of the "sub-species" as they stated were:
The Telescope
The Fringe-Tail
The Fantail (yes, they always write "The" )
The Comet (this book says from Japan, but later books say the comet was developed in USA, I must do more research)
The Nymph
The Ramsnose
The Hognose
The Mottled Beauty
The Superb
The Small Blue
The Moor, or Darkey
The Pie-Bald, ( Own Species name "Ouen-Yu")
The Ruby, (Own species name "Nin-eubk-Yu")
The Red-Fin
The Tumbler, (Own species name "Kin-teon- Yu"
The Elegant

Wasn't that fun?

Now I have read more info on the Tumbler. I found a National Geographic magazine article written in 1924 about goldfish culture in America. The article mentions a goldfish from China called The Tumbler. It's called that because it "tumbles" when it swims. The reason it does this is because it's back is bent and it cannot swim straight! This article goes on to say that this fish is deformed and should not be a vaiable breed or variety. It seems that by the time the article was written "The Tumbler" was no longer bred, as folks realized it was a deformity and not a trait. LOL!

The book also describes the fish.... ...
"The is a remarkable fish and one that seems quite distinct. The head and tail are bent upward, giving to the entire fish the form of a crescent. When swimming it has the habit of throwing itself over and over in the same manner that tumbler pigeons do when flying.
The color of the fish is a magnificent blue flushed with orange making a gorgeous display."

I have to laugh at this description. When I have a fry that swims like that, I cull it. I never knew that it was really an ancient breed! biggrin.gif
eBay Queen
Hi kg,

Really interesting on what you have found. Now you got me hunting for oranda.gif books!
kingyoo
Hi EQ!

The National Geographic article, Oct. 1924 is remarkable. I borrowed my copy from the library. It has very cool pictures. I need to find a scanner so I can post them here for all to see. The book that I bought is very precious to me, so I don't like to touch it very often. I need to figure out a way to make copies to work with instead of touching every page of the book. I have to use gloves so I don't get body oils and dust on the pages. It is in prettty good condition, and I want to keep it that way.

Glad to see you found this site!

See ya,

kg
GA Secretary
1 Member sent his/her complement!

HappyBuddha
eBay Queen
The National Geographic article, Oct. 1924 regarding goldfish and their cultivation in the US. Here are the images from the article. Sorry that they are not that good but I was afraid of ruining the book while scanning it:

Linked Image (Click to Expand)
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
kingyoo
Hi eQ,

This is great! Thanks for posting pics. I love this article.

kg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.