Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cloudy Water
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
LoboChan
Hi,

I have a 2 feet tank w 2 ryukins in this, and recently ... due to unknown reasons the water get cloudy pretty quickly... I recently did a 75% water change and totally clean up the filter too.. but less than a week, the water gets cloudy again...

luv to hear from ya out there...

My neighbourhood fish shop told me to get a water heater n heat the water up to 30 degree celcius n this shld clear the prob... is this true?

Lemme know... Thanks!
CyberET
whats your nitrite(NO2)?
The Matrix
erh ... desalinated water effect ?
vlye
high chance your biofilter system is out of whack and you are experiencing a new tank syndrome with algae bloom. Also, how big are your Ryukins? You could be having a bio-overload in that 2ft tank.

This is a basic problem and I suggest that you dose with bb as per product instructions and keep changing 20% to 30% water every couple of days to reduce the ammonia buildup. Cloudiness will continue until the bb kicks in ( approx 2 weeks). You could try putting in a sponge filter also. Hope this helps.
jhansolo
QUOTE(LoboChan @ Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:11 pm)
totally clean up the filter too.. but less than a week, the water gets cloudy again...

I think that is the key to the problem. I really don't think heater will help, but salt would ease the trama your fish is going thru.
goldrush
In short ............NEW TANK SYNDROME

IPB Image
LoboChan
Hi,

I don think it is new tank syndrome leh... this 2 ryukins abt 12cm had been in the tank abt 3-5 months liao... cld it b tat they r spawning... cld lead to milky discharge?? I don see any eggs n think both might b female... is it possible to spawn w/o the presence of male gfs?

Vlye, wat is BB?? currently, my filter has some charcoal chips, ceramic rings, a bio filter sponges... I had did a through wash of these whn I last change 75% of the water a week back n still the situation persists....

Waht is the desalinated water effect?
I used overnight water for 2thirds of the 75% water change... so I don think it cld b chroline issues...

Check bac later... thanks!!
The Matrix
bloody new tank problem lah. nothing more than that. just ignore the cloudiness for the next 2 weeks. just do a 5-6 days regular 90% change and not disturb your filter too much can liao.

simple problem.

if really someone tell u the dragon phoenix of desalination water, u believe or not ? sigh
CP
QUOTE(LoboChan @ Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:03 pm)
Hi,

I don think it is new tank syndrome leh...

It IS a problem with new tanks, the BB (benefecial bacterias) are cleaned off your filter medias by your washing.Never never thoruoghlly wash your filter medias, unless absolutlely necessasry such as when you have outbreak of disease.This is one of the most basic rule to observe with regards to filtered tank system and most common advise in all fishkeeping forums.

Do a search on the net on 'cycling of new tank'.
LoboChan
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:11 pm)
bloody new tank problem lah. nothing more than that. just ignore the cloudiness for the next 2 weeks. just do a 5-6 days regular 90% change and not disturb your filter too much can liao.

simple problem.

if really someone tell u the dragon phoenix of desalination water, u believe or not ? sigh

Sorry, to clarify.. is the 5-6 days 90% water change... every 5-6 days change water or every day for 5-6 days change water??

kam sia!
LoboChan
QUOTE(CP @ Fri, 23 Sep 2005 1:04 pm)
It IS a problem with new tanks, the BB (benefecial bacterias) are cleaned off your filter medias by your washing.Never never thoruoghlly wash your filter medias, unless absolutlely necessasry such as when you have outbreak of disease.This is one of the most basic rule to observe with regards to filtered tank system and most common advise in all fishkeeping forums.

Do a search on the net on 'cycling of new tank'.

think I w add some BB then.... got some in liquid form... smile.gif
CP
QUOTE(LoboChan @ Mon, 26 Sep 2005 7:50 pm)
Sorry, to clarify.. is the 5-6 days 90% water change... every 5-6 days change water or every day for 5-6 days change water??

Every 5 to 6 days change water.

QUOTE(LoboChan @ Mon, 26 Sep 2005 7:51 pm)
think I w add some BB then.... got some in liquid form... smile.gif

Dont bother, save your money.They're expensive and not really necessary.Let it cycle naturally, 4 to 6 weeks.Be patient, thats all.
CyberET
Don't waste your money with bottled BB.
It will not make your cycling faster.
And don't bother aging water overnight, useless in sg context.
LoboChan
kam sia kam sia... to all the bros!!

anyway, I already added some powder BB last night ... (got them real cheap abt 6 mths back in Pasir Ris Farmway area - 0.5kg for less than $5)... now the water is more cloudy... w change water now n goin forward every 5-6 days...

now see how...
peter porker
QUOTE(LoboChan @ Wed, 28 Sep 2005 4:02 pm)
kam sia kam sia... to all the bros!!

anyway, I already added some powder BB last night ... (got them real cheap abt 6 mths back in Pasir Ris Farmway area - 0.5kg for less than $5)... now the water is more cloudy... w change water now n goin forward every 5-6 days...

now see how...

powder BB? wats that? I thought it only comes in liquid form.
CP
PP,
Here is an example of powder form BB culture.Commonly used by koi enthusiasts.
http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.ph...indpost&p=23513

Rgds
CP
goldrush
Hey cp

notice you manage to restore some missing photos of the past beg2.gif

Maybe I should do the same but some of the photo lost liao so very hard to reinstore unless retake them.Some bros had pm me of the photo takin part which without images leave very little to imagine.If I could find the time I think I should do likewise......but that is searchin thro 900 over posts faint.gif faint.gif faint.gif
CP
I am able to do it because I still have the photos on my hard disk.I simply edit my post and reload them.
desireless
Doc,

Yes most of the older pictures were lost by our ex host.

Anyway, you can do a search for this.

Click Search

For "Search by Keywords", type in .jpg

at the same time for "Filter by Member Name (optional)" type in "goldrush"
goldrush
QUOTE(desireless @ Wed, 28 Sep 2005 6:35 pm)
Doc,

Yes most of the older pictures were lost by our ex host.

Anyway, you can do a search for this.

Click Search

For "Search by Keywords", type in .jpg

at the same time for "Filter by Member Name (optional)" type in "goldrush"

okie dokie good.gif
Damo
I just bought a new tank with a new filter. After 6 weeks the water is still cloudy (green). I understand that it takes some time for the water to stabilise due to new tank syndrom but after 6 weeks, I was hoping the water would be clear. I want to put a U.V steriliser but I was told that the water need to be stabilised first.

Is that true? How much time does it take for the water to stabilise?? (I am doing a 30% water change every 2 days for the past 6 weeks)

Damo
bekko
Some say the nitrification biofilm will reach its peak in 6 to 7 weeks. Stable green is good for goldfish.

-steve

MY MEMORIES AND THE GOLDFISH BOWL;
BOTH SO CLOUDY

Anon.
Damo
Thanks Steve

I will wait a few more weeks then. I know that green is good for the fish but my wife does not see it that way. She just sees a green water aquarium in the living room and gets pissed off with me everytime I tell her that the water is going to clear eventually ....

Damo
bekko
If the filter is large enough to handle the feed input then it's probably safe to add UV - if that's what the home minister wants. You should monitor ammonia for a while after turning on UV because the algae has been using ammonia as a nutrient source and the dead algae will release ammonia as it decays.

-steve
Damo
Thanks for the advice Steve. What the home minister wants, the home minister gets .....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.