Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rotating Fishes Between Green Water & Clear Water
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
Daryl
So - I am new here.....hi.gif I generally keep my fish in tanks for side view - nice clear tanks, for they sit in my home in various rooms for me to enjoy and appreciate. I love to watch them - a gorgeous, balanced, graceful fish is a thing of great beauty.

But I want to give them the best, so I have cultivated green water in a large vat in the basement. Some of my "best" live down there.

I would like to bring them up to the "viewing" tanks on a rotating basis - as I entertain guests for various holidays and functions, etc.- to show off my pretty fish.

Is there any harm in moving a fish in and out of green water to a BB filtered tank and back again? Is this too stressful? Is it something that should only be done occasionally or something I can do every month or so?
CP
QUOTE(Daryl @ Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:36 pm)
Is there any harm in moving a fish in and out of green water to a BB filtered tank and back again? Is this too stressful? Is it something that should only be done occasionally or something I can do every month or so?

Perfectly fine.I practise that as well.My fishes are rotated between my home tank and pond.I do not know about others, but I normally try to keep it in outdoor ponds for at least 3 months and home tank for 1 month.That means the number of fishes in the pond will be larger than the number of fishes in my home tank.
Daryl
Thanks! I would love to keep them outside, but, between the heron and the raccoons I would loose too many to predators, as well as when winter gets to -25F. - not really conducive to fish health! yes.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(Daryl @ Fri, 28 Oct 2005 1:04 am)
Thanks! I would love to keep them outside, but, between the heron and the raccoons I would loose too many to predators, as well as when winter gets to -25F. - not really conducive to fish health!  yes.gif

hahahaha .... I Love Chicago. Land of Racoons and squirels running wild. Yup, by now, it's freezing cold near the lake. Tub of haagen will be nice in the wide open.

You can do with the basement setup. Should not be a problem. cool.

Just a question, how do you manage the hard water problem.
Daryl
Ah - so you are familiar with our water! ;)

I have an even worse problem than normal - I live in the forest preserve and am on well water. The water comes out of the well at 10+ pH - and it is so hard that when you toss a fish in it literally bounces off the surface. tongue.gif

I have installed a built-in RO filter system into our plumbing that gives me just enough water that I manage quite well. I am currently saving to install a "whole house" system. Until then, I run with what I have and it becomes a limiting feature as to how many fish I can successfully keep - get about 25 gallons daily, so if I change out one tank at a time, everything works.

I cut the well water with the RO water to create a custom water at about 7.4pH for most tanks - lower for the black fish ,etc. as I please. When I cut the water it gives me the 45-50 gallons I need per day to do the water changes I prefer to do. (I am a fan of large water changes!) I do have to continually check the well, for, as the water table rises and falls with the seasons and drought, the water parameters can change and I need to adjust for that.

yes.gif
mountain
Its amazing! I presume the well water gets it sources from the forest, mountains and the sky! PH aside, I think you have got a wonderful source of rich water with natural minerals.
The Matrix
QUOTE(mountain @ Fri, 28 Oct 2005 8:09 am)
Its amazing! I presume the well water gets it sources from the forest, mountains and the sky! PH aside, I think you have got a wonderful source of rich  water with natural minerals.

Mountain, you yet to experience what's wire-hair when u bath with water from Chicago. A bottle of softener just to bath and I dun even bother to wash hair for a week. scary water !

This type of water is not suitable for goldfish, dun even need to mention those Rio captured fishes.
The Matrix
QUOTE(Daryl @ Fri, 28 Oct 2005 3:51 am)
Ah - so you are familiar with our water!  ;)

I have an even worse problem than normal - I live in the forest preserve and am on well water. The water comes out of the well at 10+ pH - and it is so hard that when you toss a fish in it literally bounces off the surface.    tongue.gif

I have installed a built-in RO filter system into our plumbing that gives me just enough water that I manage quite well. I am currently saving to install a "whole house" system. Until then, I run with what I have and it becomes a limiting feature as to how many fish I can successfully keep - get about 25 gallons daily, so if I change out one tank at a time, everything works.

I cut the well water with the RO water to create a custom water at about 7.4pH for most tanks - lower for the black fish ,etc. as I please. When I cut the water it gives me the 45-50 gallons I need per day to do the water changes I prefer to do. (I am a fan of large water changes!) I do have to continually check the well, for, as the water table rises and falls with the seasons and drought, the water parameters can change and I need to adjust for that.

yes.gif

Yup, I notice the seasonal change in water parameters as well as I tried to monitor the water table thru those official site. One hell of nightmare. Really hard work just to keep a tank of fish.

Guess u will have to work real hard for the RO system.
mountain
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:43 am)
Mountain, you yet to experience what's wire-hair when u bath with water from Chicago. A bottle of softener just to bath and I dun even bother to wash hair for a week. scary water !

This type of water is not suitable for goldfish, dun even need to mention those Rio captured fishes.

I see .. I though it would have been an wonder if its really mountain water with all the missing minerals in our water!! what a pity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.