Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Panda
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
bekko
Do ANY panda keep their panda markings to oya? If so, what did they look like as one-year-olds?

thanks
-steve
CP
I have not reared any pandas, but have heard of pandas losing their blacks as they grow older, turning into all whites.
gohks
QUOTE(bekko @ Sun, 15 Jan 2006 2:16 pm)
Do ANY panda keep their panda markings to oya?  If so, what did they look like as one-year-olds?

thanks
-steve

It depends on the food, envoironment and lighting. Lossing the blacks is a natural process but there are ways to prolong or delay this process, even up to a big adult of > 20cm. smile.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(gohks @ Mon, 16 Jan 2006 9:27 am)
It depends on the food, envoironment and lighting.  Lossing the blacks is a natural process but there are ways to prolong or delay this process, even up to a big adult of > 20cm. smile.gif

That's interesting. Care to explain how to prolong the process ?
gohks
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Mon, 16 Jan 2006 10:25 am)
That's interesting. Care to explain how to prolong the process ?

As black is a unstable pigmentation in goldfish, is the same theory as how to maintain a black ranchu which already dicussed several times. smile.gif
The Matrix
oic ... thanks.
desireless
Oh... Really?

It was discussed by some panda dragoneye owners over at the china goldfish site that they have not seen a panda goldfish reaching adulthood. The black-white (and brown-white too) coloration would turn full white as the fish matures (2 yrs at most). Many offered explanations to this but the discussion was non-conclusive when I read it sad.gif . So I am kind of glad to know that it is not only us, who are seeing pandas turning full white. lol.gif

It is not due to black colour being unstable. I have sure seen many full black adult goldfishes around - Black is a stable colour on goldfish. Rather, it is due to BOTH black AND white on the same goldfish that is unstable. I hope china, or tunghoi, given their expertise in this field, would come up with something stable with Black/White coloration. And I would certainly like to see them successful especially on ranchu good.gif
gohks
What I meant by unstable is people has been talking all along on how to keep a "black" Ranchu or molly really black. There is really not much discussion on how to keep a "gold" fish really gold. smile.gif
I have seen fully white baby panda (< 6cm) and almost fully black adult panda (> 16cm)?? Genetic or food/environment factors are up to us to guess. Logic of perserving or prolonging goldfish black is all the same. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.