Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Water Levels - Is It Ok?
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
Hamad
I got a report regarding the water in our area and wanted to know what you guys think and how safe or unsafe it is:
  • pH @ 25 degrees C = 7.8 8.2
  • Conductivity @ 25 degrees C (|uS/cm) = 95 - 105
  • TDS @ 25 degrees C (mg/l) = 95 - 105
  • Total Hardness as CaCo3 (mg/l) = 35 - 45
  • Total Alkalinity to pH 4.4 (mg/l) = 45 - 55
  • Calcium (mg/l) = 15-20
  • Magnesium (mg/l) = 03 - 05
  • Sodium (mg/l) = 25 - 35
  • Potassium (mg/l) = 0.5 - 0.7
  • Bicarbonate (mg/l) = 55 - 65
  • Chloride (mg/l) = 20 - 30
  • Sulphate (mg/l) = 05 - 10
  • Fluoride (mg/l) = 0.45 - 0.55
  • Total & free Chlorine (mg/l) = Nil
  • Turbidity (NTU) = Nil
  • Taste & Odor = Acceptable/Good
They also claim that the water undergoes a RO process, how bad could that be? Let me know.

Thanks!
CP
I suppose water that underwent RO means treated , or recycled water.Common in Middle East where water is scarse.

Its good enough to drink; one great advantage from the figures is that its free from chlorine.

As for other parameters,hmmm........Matrix should be able to input better.
Hamad
Yeah that's what RO is from what I understood. I also think PH is good too since it should be between 7 and 8 for Goldfish from what I know.

The guy that I spoke to told me that the water is fine to put directly in a fish tank and they got asked about this many times before, he said it's perfectly safe.

Now of course I can't trust this because sure, a fish would live for a week but maybe not good for the long run, although I do hope this is true because it means less trouble to change water and much more water changes rather than once a week for a large tank!

So what you guys decide will make a major different...let me know!
The Matrix
QUOTE(Hamad @ Fri, 17 Feb 2006 6:02 am)
I got a report regarding the water in our area and wanted to know what you guys think and how safe or unsafe it is:[list]

Numbers look good enough. A few electronics manufacturing around your estates ? But this water definitely not a pure RO water. mixed with some enhancing chemicals to make it more stable. Totally no CL is quite a surprise as RO can never get rid of harmful bacteria.

Do monitor your pH before and after water change. That should tell u more on this water. I believe some buffering will be require.
Hamad
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Fri, 17 Feb 2006 2:27 pm)
Numbers look good enough. A few electronics manufacturing around your estates ?

Electronic manufacturers? Can you tell me more about that?

Here's the PH results:

Tap Water: 7.7-7.8

Tank: 7.8

Also the tank's water was not changed for three weeks, I am cycling it (now almost done) with two 9" comets inside and canister filter running.

Let me know if it's alright, if it is then that means 30-40% daily water change to keep the fish healthy and would save me a lot of headache with buckets lining up in my room all the time biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.