Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Green Water(indoor) Vs Green Water (outdoor)
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
goldrush
The latest picture attached post of Desireless concerning green water cultivation (indoor) prompt me to ask the above question with regards to its pros and cons.I’m not a practitioner of green water cultivation however I’m not here to challenge its belief and practice but I’m just curious what benefits can an indoor greenwater reaped as compared to an outdoor greenwater cultivation.Most would agree that it is much easier to cultivate it outdoor as it powered by the sun which is free and perhaps allow us to cultivate algae of preference for our fish consumption.What I find in an indoor practice is not only uneconomical as you need to subject your water to a required period of light but the spectrum of light may not yield the appropriate algae cultivation. The competition arising from brown algae proliferation may stripped off nutrients required for the survival of the preferred free floating ones. Another notable disadvantage is its unsightly presentation. You need a lot of understanding from your Home ministry to allow such a scum to be lighted periodically and having a green pea soup of the SWARM THING displayed and sitting around the living area !
To me green water cultivation indoor remains a great challenge. Apart from increased electrical consumption, a practitioner has to deal with its stringent requirements, periodic compulsory maintenance and constant monitoring to ensure the occupants within do not suffer any untoward reactions. Not to mention you need other ministerial approval........

So the next time you are shown the great benefits the Green Thing that is supposed to improve your fish colors, luster, wen growth and every other thing, just ask yourself: Are you ready for it? If not, I suggest you give it a miss.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

goldrush
gold2dee
Actually my 4ft tank is house in the living area and is powered by a 150W MH. My ministerial told me the greenish sight is relaxing to her eyes and surprisingly it has a flora smell instead of a fishy smell if one were to use normal water w/o carbon filteration.

Unfortunately sunlight is unable to shine into my house. Comparing the cost of renting a outdoor pond and using indoor MH lighting, i think the latter is still more economical? If not let me know i will consider renting a pond instead smile.gif
peter porker
the biggest constraint/consideration for use of green water is availability of space. Apartment house dwellers will not have the option of doing it outdoors at all.
marc9
QUOTE(peter porker @ Wed, 01 Mar 2006 4:59 pm)
the biggest constraint/consideration for use of green water is availability of space. Apartment house dwellers will not have the option of doing it outdoors at all.

those using green water with big tanks(3ft above)..what light source do u use to light up..and how do u guys clean the tank..with all the algae..or just leave it as it is..
gohks
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 01 Mar 2006 2:19 pm)
The latest picture attached post of Desireless concerning green water cultivation (indoor) prompt me to ask the above question with regards to its pros and cons.I’m not a practitioner of green water cultivation however I’m not here to challenge its belief and practice but I’m just curious what benefits can an indoor greenwater reaped as compared to an outdoor greenwater cultivation
goldrush

Doc,
Well said! good.gif so glad that somebody feel the same as me... cloud9.gif
With the land scarce Singapore and 80 - 90% of the population living in high rise, cultivating and maintaining green water become something absolutely not practical. wacko.gif
Having a full tank of green water in the living really defeat the purpose of pleasure viewing and renting a hotel becomes a burden to your financial, it's imperative to find a replacement or substitute sooner or later. What is it I do not know yet, but somebody may already got or near to the answer.
Therefore, I strongly urge everybody to move away from the conventional impratical methodology and discover something that could mimic or produce the similar output! peace.gif And please share if you discover some wonders rolleyes.gif
CP
Well first and foremost I will not classify desireless's setup as indoor green water cultivation.Its already cycled with nitrates as end product which in turn served as a nutrient for the carpet wall algaes.

To me, it is very desirable to have Desireless's setup for a home tank, provided you faithfully scrub the front part of the tank frequently in order to enjoy admiring your fishes.
The Matrix
looks like I am the only one that will still run the MH lamp generated green water liao lah ... biggrin.gif

I keep the gun at safe lock for now ... but just a few statements that would like to highlight for the start ...

" The latest picture attached post concerning green water cultivation (indoor) ... "

" ...what benefits can an indoor greenwater reaped as compared to an outdoor greenwater cultivation ... "

" ... may not yield the appropriate algae cultivation ... "
" ... arising from brown algae ... "
" ... remains a great challenge ... "

" ... practitioner has to deal with its stringent requirements, periodic compulsory maintenance and constant monitoring to ensure the occupants within do not suffer any untoward reactions ... "

Very strong words used here.

" ... absolutely not practical ... "
" ... I strongly urge everybody ... "
" ... conventional impratical methodology ... "
" ... could mimic or produce the similar output ... "

Hope the writers can go deeper in thoughts and really ponder over the statements and sentences.
goldrush
Hello matrix it is time to evoke
Some thoughts for a few to provoke
For forum is dull for a while with little participation
I sit and wait in anticipation
A positive exchange will be most welcoming
A negative duel however would be most unbecoming……. laugh.gif

starwars.gif starwars.gif starwars.gif
desireless
QUOTE(CP @ Wed, 01 Mar 2006 9:54 pm)
Well first and foremost I will not classify desireless's setup as indoor green water cultivation.Its already cycled with nitrates as end product which in turn served as a nutrient for the carpet wall algaes.

To me, it is very desirable to have Desireless's setup for a home tank, provided you faithfully scrub the front part of the tank frequently in order to enjoy admiring your fishes.

Yeah. Exactly what I've meant to say. Thank you CP salute.gif
goldrush
Oops sorry wrong number. salute.gif salute.gif salute.gif Yours is not green water but filtered one with wall algae.Should not have quoted your setup with respect to the above title...........Got carried away by your UNSIGHTLY SETUP biggrin.gif biggrin.gif and the MUSIC enclosed loverdance.gif loverdance.gif

But what is the advantages of indoor green against outdoor green? uhm.gif
gohks
sorry-big.gif if I offended somebody salute.gif no ill-intention..will use milder words in the future :censoree
The Matrix
Goh, it's okay to express oneself. I din disagree on some of the points. However, the strong words used in building the sentences are somewhat "spare no thoughts".

Just a question ... how long have you tried green water before you given it up completely as suggested in your message ? Why did it fail ?
gohks
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu, 02 Mar 2006 12:00 pm)
Goh, it's okay to express oneself. I din disagree on some of the points. However, the strong words used in building the sentences are somewhat "spare no thoughts".

Just a question ... how long have you tried green water before you given it up completely as suggested in your message ? Why did it fail ?

Matrix,
Don't get me wrong. If you refer to my previous threads, you can sense I am a strong believer of green water. I used to keep my fishes externally in cement tank and found that I have no problem getting the natural green...However, after relocation, I found is almost impossible to get back the results I used to get, with the artificial induced methodology. The water either turn brown very fast or easily foul after feeding. Therefore, I make-up my mind things must change and start to explore on alternatives... smile.gif
desireless
QUOTE(goldrush @ Thu, 02 Mar 2006 5:53 am)
Oops sorry wrong number. salute.gif  salute.gif  salute.gif Yours is not green water but filtered one with wall algae.Should not have quoted your setup with respect to the above title...........Got carried away by your UNSIGHTLY SETUP biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  and the MUSIC enclosed loverdance.gif loverdance.gif

But what is the advantages of indoor green against outdoor green?  uhm.gif

If you compare apple with apple, then I guess there's not much difference between indoor green water and outdoor green water (in same water volume). Only big difference is you pay hell lots more for the electrical bill.

And another point (which is not proven) is that there are some natural sunlight ray (eg infrared/ultraviolet) which artificial light cannot simulate (that will probably improve on the colour).

PS: Don't pray pray... the music was from 费翔 (Kris Phillips).. the taiwanese who sang for Broadway, ok? beg2.gif
aronkhj
Hi guys,
Actually here in china... most people keep their fish in green water. most LFS jus leave they goldfish in basins and tubs full of green water or algae coated walls. the colors of the fishes are really beautiful. which makes me agree that there are benefits for using green water or Algae coated walls. good.gif

BUT!!!!! I don't bother with green water. problem is that i can't see the fish !!!! shiok.gif

Now... i like to ask!!! by having green water or algae coated walls... will it introduce or encourage the growth of other things that are harmful to fish?
unsure.gif
goldrush
The answer can be yes and no
Harmful as in over proliferation of algae that result in O2 deprivation especially at night.But if you are able to restrict and confine its cultivation within the limits than the benefits certainly overrule any potential hazards in its promotion.
By its presence algae being primary producers will encourage the production of many animacules which will feed on them and in turn provide your fish additional supplement from a natural source. biggrin.gif
aronkhj
QUOTE(goldrush @ Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:59 am)
The answer can be yes and no
Harmful as in over proliferation of algae that result in O2 deprivation especially at night.But if you are able to restrict and confine its cultivation within the limits than the benefits certainly overrule any potential hazards in its promotion.
By its presence algae being primary producers will encourage the production of many animacules which will feed on them and in turn provide your fish additional supplement from a natural source. biggrin.gif

have to read 2-3 times... otherwise... Thanks!!! biggrin.gif so in short... it's good but risky!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.