Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Edonishiki Or Chinese Calico Ranchu
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
goldrush
hi.gif hi.gif hi.gif

Whatever you like to call it,this breed has its own impeccable beauty.I have just acquired my first calico after some years of barren keeping in this breed.Good ones are extremely difficult to find and this one is far from perfect. The exuberant scatter of colors may tempt most beginners into falling for this breed but the limited head growth, unsightly, untidy strayed metallic scales would often put off many potential connoisseur. This one measured only 2 and ½ inch with limited head growth but an acceptable body built and stature. I intend to monitor its growth rate,wen development and color maintenance and will keep you informed of its progress or deterioration in the months to come.Any bros keep this variety in this forum?

IPB Image
goldrush
Sorry the fotos are bit blurrrrrrrrrrr

IPB Image
peter porker
QUOTE(goldrush @ Mon, 06 Mar 2006 10:51 am)
Sorry the fotos are bit blurrrrrrrrrrr

I've always admired and like these Calico Ranchus but its very difficult to find a nice specimen. The main problem for me are their crooked backs.
gohks
Specimen prone to colour change, let's see what colour it turns to...Don't think you will get much growth on the wen. sad.gif
CP
Pretty nice shape for a Chinese Calico, but forget about the headgrowth though.

But I think these Chinese varities has big potential for growth, see how it develops and maybe raise them in your koi pond when it grows bigger......... rolleyes.gif
aronkhj
QUOTE(gohks @ Mon, 06 Mar 2006 6:03 pm)
Specimen prone to colour change, let's see what colour it turns to...Don't think you will get much growth on the wen. sad.gif

yeah... calico will change color as it mature. u never know how it will turn out to be!
Sabine
I just love calico ranchus biggrin2.gif
Since I live in a remote corner of Canada, it's extremely hard to get nice fish! I envy you, I think I have to travel to Singapore next year!!
This is my calico ranchu Lily:
She is from Tung Hoi, 7" long, weighs 230 grams biggrin2.gif
IPB Image

Here is a side view of her:
IPB Image

IPB Image
Here she is with her buddy - I wanted to spawn them this summer. Unfortunately I lost him recently after a long mysterious illness :-(

They were such a nice pair:
IPB Image
I've been raising one of her fry (just for practice), a calico little guy, with an unknown father, either a small chinese lionhead or a big ordinary fantail (me thinks she preferred the big fantail):
IPB Image
desireless
QUOTE(Sabine @ Mon, 06 Mar 2006 11:54 pm)
Here is a side view of her:

Although it is quite difficult to get good goldfishes in Canada, what you possess is a relatively high-graded calico ranchu! You can hardly find blue-based calico ranchu like this in Singapore.
Sabine
Thank you for your kind words smile.gif .
Goldrush's ranchu shows quite a bit of blue on the back too. I'd grab that fish if only I could find one like it . Has a nice tail tuck! It will be exciting to see him develop in the next couple of months.
top_view_ranchu
QUOTE(Sabine @ Mon, 06 Mar 2006 11:54 pm)
She is from Tung Hoi, 7" long, weighs 230 grams biggrin2.gif

good_very.gif good_very.gif good_very.gif

This is the first time I see such detailed description!

salute.gif salute.gif salute.gif
goldrush
Incidentally edonishiki in Japan is appreciated and judged from the top if I'm not wrong biggrin.gif

So should we classify it as another TVR???????????
Sabine
QUOTE(goldrush @ Tue, 07 Mar 2006 1:04 pm)
Incidentally edonishiki in Japan is appreciated and judged from the top if I'm not wrong biggrin.gif

Interesting! How do top and side view ranchus differ when seen from the side??? Do TVRs have a less curved back?
TVR are hardly ever sold as such in the US or Canada, so I've been wondering for quite some time.
In the summer Lily is a TVR for me biggrin.gif , I keep them in tubs in green water after having read a lot about it on Alvin's web site.
Great place here, by the way, I've spent hours reading in the last few days, and I'm broadening my goldfish horizons good.gif !

top-_view_ranchu: I weigh all my fish, it's nice to see how much they grow on different kinds of food. And it made me think about the water volume a big fish like that requires, compared to a 4" fish yes.gif
goldrush
hi.gif hi.gif hi.gif sabine

Welcome to our site
glad you have enjoyed your visits here and hopefully have picked up some useful tips to incorporate them into your goldfishkeeping.Many a time we can never have the best of both worlds but that shouldn't deter one from enjoying our goldfish keeping.You may from time to time modify what you have learned here as many things are not common(climate,water,availability of products and fish varieties) but many other things remain universal in practice as well.So be prudent.As for TVR or SVR it is matter of taste.An ideal perhaps would be a same fish that looks good both side way as well as from the top. shiok.gif

Here's my calico from the top if you like to appreciate it from that angle

IPB Image
Sabine
He is a very nice fish, especially considering that he is still a small guy good.gif .
Fat peduncle too. I would grab him if anything like this would ever come within reach !! smile.gif
yamato38gunkei
QUOTE(goldrush @ Tue, 07 Mar 2006 6:04 am)

Dear Goldrush,

Yes, it is true that Edo Nishiki is judged from the top in Japan. It is not another Top View Ranchu. In fact, it is considered a different breed. With this message, a photo of a good quality Edo Nishiki.

Regards,

Geert Coppens

IPB Image
Guenther
What do you think about this fish?
I found these fish as a lonely fish with ryukin, fantail

IPB Image

Regards
Guenther

IPB Image
goldrush
QUOTE(yamato38gunkei @ Wed, 08 Mar 2006 6:22 pm)
Dear Goldrush,

Yes, it is true that Edo Nishiki is judged from the top in Japan.  It is not another Top View Ranchu.  In fact, it is considered a different breed.  With this message, a photo of a good quality Edo Nishiki.

Regards,

Geert Coppens

Thanks Geert for the info and a very,very nice specimen of edo nishiki

beg2.gif beg2.gif beg2.gif
Guenther
QUOTE(goldrush @ Mon, 06 Mar 2006 3:48 am)
untidy strayed metallic scales would often put off many potential connoisseur

Dear goldrush

What do you think about metallic scales on calico fishes?
Some years I bred calicos, from culls because we can not find high quality fishes in germany.
So I tried, to select fishes likes this without metallic scales:

IPB Image

I think, presence from metallic scales on matt calico fishes are incorrectly and not desired.
What do you think about it?

Regards
Guenther
IPB Image
Hamad
Guenther, your calico Ryukins/Fantails are beautiful! Can you show more pictures like the one you attached in your last reply? The ones with blue base are gorgeous IMO.

Goldrush I can't wait to see how this will grow, I love how it looks top view!! How much did you pay for it?

Sabine, is your Tung Hoi fish from Goldfishconnection? Cause that fish is considered high grade and from what I understand they don't really sell such fish in regular pet stores in the US and Canada (same case over here too).
goldrush
Dear Guenther you have very nice fish despite your limited source for good parent fish.Now in matted fish,there shouldn't be any guanine(metallic scale)to spoil the pinkish or white base.The eyes of such fish are often black.
In the calico or shubunkin which are classify as nacreous they still have metallic scale (guanine) but they are inserted at different layers and with varied pigmentation to give that beautiful bodily kaleidoscope. Interestingly it is such uneven metallic insertion that give the nacreous the shine when view at different angles and named it most appropriately,the Mother of Pearl.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful specimens

goldrush
Sabine
QUOTE(Hamad @ Wed, 15 Mar 2006 9:15 am)
Sabine, is your Tung Hoi fish from Goldfishconnection? Cause that fish is considered high grade and from what I understand they don't really sell such fish in regular pet stores in the US and Canada (same case over here too).

My calico ranchu is from www.fishsempai.com , the only importer of high quality goldies in Canada. If I lived close to a major international airport I could get fish from US importers (we have to take them through customs personally).
Hamad
Oh I heard of FishSempai! You don't really need US importers since you can get awesome TungHoi goldfish through FishSempai. You're lucky to at least have a way to obtain great fish though, I'm currently trying to make deals with fish farms in China and hopefully something goes through *fingers crossed*
Guenther
QUOTE(Hamad @ Wed, 15 Mar 2006 3:15 pm)
Guenther, your calico Ryukins/Fantails are beautiful! Can you show more pictures like the one you attached in your last reply? The ones with blue base are gorgeous IMO.

Dear Hamad

Tnx for your compliments.
Here some picture for you from my young calico fantail/ryukin/shubunkin, hoping you like it ;)

IPB Image
Hamad
I really love the ones in the center and the one in the big picture! The coloring is magnificent and their body shapes are perfectly balanced between a ryukin and a fantail, they look really attractive!

I must say that it's also quite rare to find that type of deep blue coloring on fancy goldfish, at least outside Asia. And the fact you're raising them in planted cycled tanks is amazing! Good job and can't wait to see more updates from you on your fish! good.gif
goldrush
Dear Guenther and Hamad

Here is a short top view videoclip of the calico

Direct Link: http://www.rafflesgold.com/members/goldrush/calico ranchu.wmv
Guenther
QUOTE(Hamad @ Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:54 am)
...can't wait to see more updates from you on your fish!  good.gif

Tnx Hamad

I will show you more fantail I bred, ranchu you can not often buy here in Germany so I can not bred ranchu

IPB Image

Regards
Guenther
Sabine
Goldrush, I can't see the video clip, I get an error message. sad.gif
goldrush
Sorry I accidently rename the file without updating the link

Now it is corrected ,see above

regards

goldrush
Hamad
Goldrush, you have such a beauty and even though I do not care so much for show standards, I am veeeerry picky with goldfish andl think yours is very attractive! good.gif How many fish do you keep and where do you keep them? That doesn't look like a tub from what can be seen in the video.

Guenther, I love how your fish look so unique - I think I only came across this type of fantail/ryukin like once in my life. The colors are vibrant against the green which makes your fish look even better than tropicals would in a display tank. Most goldfish look kinda awkward in a heavily planted tank in my opinion but not yours.

Wish if one day you could sell me some and ship all the way to the oven known as UAE LOL
henry_giap
QUOTE(Guenther @ Mon, 20 Mar 2006 1:38 am)
Tnx Hamad

I will show you more fantail I bred, ranchu you can not often buy here in Germany so I can not bred ranchu

Regards
Guenther

Schoene Fisches Guenther! Ich habe noch nie in Deutschland gesehen, waehrend meine neun Jahren Aufenthalt.
Guenther
QUOTE(henry_giap @ Tue, 21 Mar 2006 3:38 pm)
Schoene Fisches Guenther! Ich habe noch nie in Deutschland gesehen, waehrend meine neun Jahren Aufenthalt.

Dear henry_giap

Tnx for your friendly words in my language.
Danke für Deine freundlichen Worte in meiner Sprache.

Henry, my best wishes for you and to Indonesia hi.gif

IPB Image

smile.gif

Regards
Guenther
goldrush
Three months has passed,it's time to show my calico

Statistics

Kept in filtered water and in full sun
Fed with JRL,lionhead Hikari and Saki fancy
Now approacing 10 cm

First a few pictures

IPB Image

IPB Image
goldrush
And a short video biggrin.gif

IPB Image
Sabine
He is very beautiful! Will he still grow more of a wen in the future?
I wouldn't mind though if he didn't - he is very handsome as is.
goldrush
QUOTE(Sabine @ Tue, 27 Jun 2006 9:53 pm)
He is very beautiful! Will he still grow more of a wen in the future?
I wouldn't mind though if he didn't - he is very handsome as is.

Dear Sabine

I doubt I can improve on its wen but maybe on its size laugh.gif
The Matrix
bump worms doc ... bump.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.