Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minimum Light Requirement For Color?
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
Hamad
*please do join this thread with any related thread if there's any*

I finally found a new store that opened in the UAE that specializes in Reef tanks and they provide all type of lighting and can make custom lighting as well. They are pricey though, so before I make any purchase I need to be sure.

I want to know what would be the minimum lighting requirement that would support maintaining or enhancing the fish's color [if that is possible]. I am very well aware that there's a lot of factors that play a role in a fish color but I am talking about just the lighting part considering the fish tank doesn't get enough sun-light and I live in hell, so outdoors will result in beautifully tanned boiled fish. mad.gif

Is 150watt MH light good enough or is it too strong for bio-filtered water? I also don't want to turn this display tank into green water as I believe that such lighting will create a conflict between beneficial bacteria and algae over ammonia and nitrate, right?

Hope anyone have more info and thanks!

By the way, I saw that they have timers on their lighting at the store where the tank goes into moon light mode for a few hours before lights are off and on, which I think is really cool - it's alright to install something like this for Goldfish right? rolleyes.gif
gohks
Hamad,
Note that there are different types of lighting available in the market. There are lightings made specially for fish, plant, reef. reptile...
Using lighting to promote or maintain goldfish coloration is still a myth. Not sure any successful candidate in the forum here unsure.gif . I know there is a noval method in enhancing Arowana scale coloration with reptile lights (with UV component).
Why don't you give it a try and let us know the result. tongue.gif
aronkhj
actually light does play an important role. i have a black moor, and for about 3wks i left the tank without lights on... and when i came back... the underbelly faded. became gold.

after that, i got a timer to have lights on for about 3hr a day. the black coloration came back... but very slowly.

my fish is now in green water on the balcony. hoping it becomes black again.
but it's really hard once fish loose it's color.

cheers
Hamad
haha sure I don't mind trying it if it's not very expensive, does it have another name? Arowana tanks usually look really nice so this sounds appealing to me!
Hamad
QUOTE(aronkhj @ Thu, 06 Apr 2006 4:56 pm)
actually light does play an important role. i have a black moor, and for about 3wks i left the tank without lights on... and when i came back... the underbelly faded. became gold.

after that, i got a timer to have lights on for about 3hr a day. the black coloration came back... but very slowly.

my fish is now in green water on the balcony. hoping it becomes black again.
but it's really hard once fish loose it's color.

cheers

What light did you use? I assume if you left it for 6-10 hours a day it would've regained back it's color faster. Correct?
gohks
QUOTE(Hamad @ Thu, 06 Apr 2006 9:03 pm)
haha sure I don't mind trying it if it's not very expensive, does it have another name? Arowana tanks usually look really nice so this sounds appealing to me!

Hamad,
Local brand we have is Arcadia D3. Not sure is found in UAE. If not, you can try asking for light for reptile or amphibian for pigmentation enhancement tanning. Also, heard that best effect you will get is without the light shield. good.gif
Ranchu Lover
QUOTE(gohks @ Fri, 07 Apr 2006 12:00 am)
Hamad,
Local brand we have is Arcadia D3.  Not sure is found in UAE.  If not, you can try asking for light for reptile or amphibian for pigmentation enhancement tanning.  Also, heard that best effect you will get is without the light shield. good.gif

Sunlight is a whole spectrum ranging from UV to IR. To duplicate it artifically will require lots of different light tube/bulb. Maybe those UV tube used for sun tanning might help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.