Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Veiltails...
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
Hamad
I haven't seen any in local stores since perhaps 1990! And no one I know online owns them, or at least has them in their galleries.

I always admired their pictures in books and once owned a calico one when I was a kid and it stayed with me for some time.

Anyone ever had them? Share your experience and thoughts wink.gif
Hamad
IPB Image
a true beauty...a veiltail 50 years ago!

IPB Image
Younger veiltails

IPB Image
My favorite type of body and fins on veils...

Pictures courtsey of Bristol Aquarists
CyberET
i think kingyoo has one? not sure.. hehe.. forgotten
void
Hmmm... I tot veiltails supposed to be low quality ryukins??! hehehe... please correct me if I'm wrong...
Hamad
QUOTE(void @ Fri 30 Jan 2004 06:45 PM)
Hmmm... I tot veiltails supposed to be low quality ryukins??! hehehe... please correct me if I'm wrong...

LOL I believe you mean Fantail goldfish...Veiltails are actually a different breed, there can be Ryukin veiltails but Veils have smaller less and curvy bodies and very long fins [all fins not just the tail].

Also from what I remember their fins are quite delicate and thin, not strong and holding up like Ryukins. But that adds more beauty to it in my opinion!
kingyoo
I have 2 true Philadephia Red veiltails. Bred here in the US. They are not show quality, their body shape is a little bit too round. But I love them anyway . Their names are Sen (right) and Haku (left).

IPB Image
kingyoo
He he.... found a baby picture of Haku.

IPB Image

Baby picture of Sen (right) and backside of Haku (left).

IPB Image
juve10
good.gif very nice indeed.
hmmm....... if any1 come across in singapore pls state the lfs selling hor... like to take a look on this species.
Hamad
Kingyoo they're sooo beautiful!!! good_very.gif They have Ryukin in them it seems but that's not a flaw as far as I know and pretty common in Veiltails. How did you obtain them? And were they expensive?

If they're from a breeder, does he or she send outside the US? Cause I'm very interested! wink.gif
HappyBuddha
Is this a Veiltails?

How about this one?

If so, it appears they're not extinct but available in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. biggrin.gif
Hamad
Yeah the white one is a ryukin/veiltail cross! But pure veiltails have less round bodies and their tail should be much longer than the body...
HappyBuddha
I can tell from Kingyoo's pics that the tails are longer than the body... but what do you mean the body of the white ryukin/veiltails should be less rounded? Are you refering to the round tummy? unsure.gif
Hamad
Actually the tummy and the hump shouldn't be big, when these two are big it gives a very round appearance like Ryukins.

I actually like those crossed with Ryukins a lot, it gives the best of both! good_very.gif
smgutie
i most definatly agree!
Inxs
I wonder goldfish with long tail have swimming problem in that powered filtering, current look strong hor! rolleyes.gif
Hamad
Now that you mention it WongDanny I'm also wondering if this is really hard flow or maybe aeration bubbles...Kingyoo?
kingyoo
Yes, the current was too strong for them. Since this photo, there are less airstones and current. I noticed that they were resting on the bottom when I wasn't around the tank.

Philadelphia Reds do not breed true, in that only a few will have the standard, classic veil shape. My guys have too much hump on the head, but their fins are perfect. Longer than their body length with straight edge. Their dorsal is as tall as their body is deep. The dorsal length is very important. I wouldn't show these guys, but I would breed them.

Philly Reds were thought to be extinct until the 1980's when a couple were found and given to some breeders who have been working hard to keep the line going.

I got these from a breeder and they were spendy, but not too much as I took a chance buying them as little babies 1 inch long. I would never recommend keeping veils to anyone who is not a serious hobbiest.
These guys are genetically weak and very fragile. High maintenance fish. So much inbreeding to keep the line going.

Currently, I have sad news. Sen, the veil with the more white has come down with dropsy as of yesterday. Funny, she was fine in the morning then I come home from work and she looked bad.

She is in a hospital tank and I am waiting for some antibiotics. Please say a prayer for her.
Hamad
OMG I'm so sorry to hear this! I really hope it will get better as I know a lot of people that had their fish recover from dropsy. Good luck and please keep us updated! sad.gif
smgutie
oh my. i do hope things go well. will be hoping for her.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(kingyoo @ Sun 01 Feb 2004 02:43 AM)
Currently, I have sad news.  Sen, the veil with the more white has come down with dropsy as of yesterday.  Funny, she was fine in the morning then I come home from work and she looked bad.

She is in a hospital tank and I am waiting for some antibiotics.  Please say a prayer for  her.

Indeed that's a sad news. cry.gif

Do keep us posted and hope to hear good news about it soon.
kingyoo
Sen is still alive. She is swimming normally. She even swims up to meet me when I check on her, but will not eat. . She looks like a pearlscale with very long fins. weep.gif
Hamad
Oh My, is there any improvement after medication?
kingyoo
She is still the same. Not worse, but no improvement.
kingyoo
I have started a thread about Sen's Dropsy here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.